Out & About

TexasTVNews

Nope. It was horrible ownership WVUE had as an ABC affiliate. They switched owners two or three times in the 80s and 90s.

I'd also say that Emmis Communications wasn't the best owner, but it was a start towards something better and they really stepped up after Hurricane Katrina when their entire building was flooded and had to be gutted, etc. Tom Benson stepped in with the financial support, but I'll never feel like Louisiana Media Company had the understanding of a true newsroom, which as we all know trickles down the line to what we see on television and our mobile devices. Many people don't like Raycom, but they stepped in at the right moment. That's what is lacking from WGNO -- leadership and commitment.

• Like 1

Today was Mandy Drury's last day at CNBC's HQ in Englewood Cliffs. She's moving back to her home country, Australia, where she'll remain in the CNBC family as a correspondent based in Sydney. Unfortunately I imagine most of her reports will be taped due to the sixteen hour time difference. She could probably be on the air around 3PM ET which would be 7AM in Sydney.

[MEDIA=instagram]BAkpCk8NHtR[/MEDIA]

Today was Mandy Drury's last day at CNBC's HQ in Englewood Cliffs. She's moving back to her home country, Australia, where she'll remain in the CNBC family as a correspondent based in Sydney. Unfortunately I imagine most of her reports will be taped due to the sixteen hour time difference. She could probably be on the air around 3PM ET which would be 7AM in Sydney.

[MEDIA=instagram]BAkpCk8NHtR[/MEDIA]

I used to watch Brian and Mandy together all the time on Street Signs, now Power Lunch. I'll miss Mandy!

NJTV (the statewide PBS affiliate for New Jersey) is considering joining the spectrum auction http://current.org/2016/01/new-jersey-network-could-relinquish-spectrum-in-upcoming-fcc-auction/

Sometimes in my iPad it gets annoying editing posts so apologies before hand for a double post.

It looks like WHUT, the PBS TV station owned by Howard University in Washington, DC, will be participating in the spectrum auction according to this NY Times article. It doesn't specify if they will be channel sharing, shutting down the channel completely or continue to broadcast it on cable.

However I could easily see them shutter than channel completely as they are a secondary PBS affiliate to both Maryland Public Television and WETA. All three public TV stations are carried widely on cable in both the Baltimore and Washington DMAs.

Edit: After I posted this WSVNFan posted so it's not doubled.

• Like 2

WLS online executive producer Anne Swaney was murdered Thursday/early Friday while traveling in Belize. A man seen fishing nearby has been questioned, though maintains no involvement. While not an on-air personality, Swaney "was a trailblazer in the digital news space and was one of our first website employees".

http://abc7chicago.com/news/tourist-from-chicago-murdered-in-belize/1160633/

• Like 1

WLS online executive producer Anne Swaney was murdered Thursday/early Friday while traveling in Belize. A man seen fishing nearby has been questioned, though maintains no involvement. While not an on-air personality, Swaney "was a trailblazer in the digital news space and was one of our first website employees".

http://abc7chicago.com/news/tourist-from-chicago-murdered-in-belize/1160633/

That's horrible. Thoughts go out to her family and WLS-TV

WWL is undoubtedly the best in the market in all time slots; WDSU continues to be a strong competitor; WVUE has its weak moments, but has made a nice comeback recently and even closing in on WDSU in some timeslots; and WGNO is the ugly stepchild. New Orleans is more than large enough to handle a newscast on that many channels, but Tribune doesn't seem to have any interest in that market (or most of their markets).

You have to realize that WGNO has ABC competition in Hancock and Pearl River County, Mississippi with Biloxi market giant WLOX who covers those counties in their newscasts even though they are part of the NOLA DMA. Even though WLOX acquired CBS and WXXV acquired NBC on subchannels for Biloxi back in 2012, WWL and WDSU are still factors in South Mississippi as the cable providers still carry them and people still watch those stations over the subchanneled affiliates.

I don't know how "News in a fake bar" still exists. They need to put that product out of its misery and maybe start fresh ala WIAT.

WTOL dealt seven employees out of the deck. I wonder who was so offended as to make the effort to contact Raycom HR?

http://www.toledoblade.com/TV-Radio/2016/01/14/7-WTOL-employees-fired-for-playing-Cards-Against-Humanity.html

Even though the content maybe crass (though in a tongue-in-cheek sorta way), you do have to wonder if firing seven people for playing Cards Against Humanity, much less any game (unless overtly sexualized in nature, making such a move more justifiable), will bite WTOL/Raycom if some or all of those fired end up slapping them with a wrongful termination lawsuit.

• Like 1

Whoops... My mistake... Doesn't change my opinion of the guy...

I wouldn't expect it to. From everything I've read about the guy over the last dozen years, on Newsblues, TV Spy, FTV, that seems to be the general consensus. This latest "hey lady reporters, go freeze your ears off" (because we all know a blackened and/of trimmed ear from frostbite is sooooooooo much more attractive than a hat) only reinforces that perception.

You have to realize that WGNO has ABC competition in Hancock and Pearl River County, Mississippi with Biloxi market giant WLOX who covers those counties in their newscasts even though they are part of the NOLA DMA. Even though WLOX acquired CBS and WXXV acquired NBC on subchannels for Biloxi back in 2012, WWL and WDSU are still factors in South Mississippi as the cable providers still carry them and people still watch those stations over the subchanneled affiliates.

If you stay in a hotel west of Interstate 110 on the Miss. Coast (western Harrison County, Hancock County and possibly Pearl River County), you are certain to have New Orleans stations on cable. Any to the east (western Harrison County, Jackson County and possibly George County) is probably Mobile/Pensacola. That is all in addition to the local stations. Stone County would only carry the local stations...maybe also Hattiesburg/Laurel stations.

WTOL dealt seven employees out of the deck. I wonder who was so offended as to make the effort to contact Raycom HR?

http://www.toledoblade.com/TV-Radio/2016/01/14/7-WTOL-employees-fired-for-playing-Cards-Against-Humanity.html

It wasn't on-air right? If so, it makes no sense to fire somebody for playing the game BTS.

• Like 1

The Daily Variety reports this morning that Kelly & Michael was renewed on the ABC O&Os for four more seasons (through the '19-'20 season). They also renewed Millionaire for another season on some of its stations.

Do any of you think Millionaire would return to its 2pm timeslot this coming Fall, should the Fab Life be "one-and-done"?

The Daily Variety reports this morning that Kelly & Michael was renewed on the ABC O&Os for four more seasons (through the '19-'20 season). They also renewed Millionaire for another season on some of its stations.

Do any of you think Millionaire would return to its 2pm timeslot this coming Fall, should the Fab Life be "one-and-done"?

I could see GAA making a comeback.

• Like 1

I don't think Millionaire is coming back for another season after this one. The show is being downgraded to overnights, just like Meredith. In reality, wherever its being shown in daytime, possibly around the noon, 4 or 7pm timeslots, they can replace it with local news.

I don't think Millionaire is coming back for another season after this one. The show is being downgraded to overnights, just like Meredith. In reality, wherever its being shown in daytime, possibly around the noon, 4 or 7pm timeslots, they can replace it with local news.

Did you not read the post you responded to? It is coming back for another season after this one. See below. :smash:

They should take a cue from the recent PowerBall frenzy...retool to "Billionaire"

ABC can use some of it's secret Star Wars money to fund it.

• Like 2

Did you not read the post you responded to? It is coming back for another season after this one. See below. :smash:

Whoops. My bad! But I think that was wrong for Disney/ABC to do. Millionaire is no good anymore and it wasn't as good as it once was when Regis and Meredith were hosting. Ratings continue to fall and now you got a host exodus on that show because before, it was just Regis and Meredith and ever since she left, its Cedric the Entertainer, Terry Crews and Chris Harrison.

Now I'm confident that WWTBAM will be canceled after next season.

• rkolsen pinned, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • rkolsen locked this topic
  • rkolsen unlocked and pinned this topic