Out & About

TexasTVNews

Speaking of WESH:

Brett Connolly moves from 5 & 10 pm to 7-9am on WKCF.

Jim Payne moves off the 4 pm to the first half hour of the 5 (remains at 6 & 11 pm)

Stewart Moore moves from mornings to the 2nd half hour of the 5 pm and the expanded 10 pm on WKCF.

Summer Knowles moves from weekend evenings to 4 pm and Jazmin Walker moves from weekend mornings to weekday mornings 7-9a WKCF unsure if Connolly/Walker will participate in the early morning news cast on WESH. Meredith McDonough & Angela Taylor remain in their respective time slots.

Speaking of WESH:

Brett Connolly moves from 5 & 10 pm to 7-9am on WKCF.

Jim Payne moves off the 4 pm to the first half hour of the 5 (remains at 6 & 11 pm)

Stewart Moore moves from mornings to the 2nd half hour of the 5 pm and the expanded 10 pm on WKCF.

Summer Knowles moves from weekend evenings to 4 pm and Jazmin Walker moves from weekend mornings to weekday mornings 7-9a WKCF unsure if Connolly/Walker will participate in the early morning news cast on WESH. Meredith McDonough & Angela Taylor remain in their respective time slots.

I've mentioned in my article that Connolly and Walker will report during the morning news on WESH from 4:30-7:00am which currently has Jason Guy and Michelle Imperato.

So basically its the following and The Orlando Sentinel has it down packed:

• 4:30-7:00am: Jason Guy and Michelle Imperato
  • 7:00-9:00am: Brett Connolly and Jazmin Walker
  • 12:00-12:30pm: The Orlando Sentinel didn't mention it.
  • 4:00-5:00pm: Meredith McDonough and Summer Knowles
  • 5:00-5:30pm: Jim Payne and Angela Taylor
  • 5:30-6:00pm: Stewart Moore and Angela Taylor
  • 6:00-6:30pm: Jim Payne and Meredith McDonough
  • 10:00-11:00pm: Stewart Moore and Angela Taylor
  • 11:00-11:35pm: Jim Payne and Meredith McDonough
  • Weekends from 5:00-8:00am: TBD as WESH 2 will determine that later.
  • Weekends at 6:00, 10:00 and 11:00pm: Adrian Whitsett will be solo now.

I've mentioned in my article that Connolly and Walker will report during the morning news on WESH from 4:30-7:00am which currently has Jason Guy and Michelle Imperato.

So basically its the following and The Orlando Sentinel has it down packed:

• 4:30-7:00am: Jason Guy and Michelle Imperato
  • 7:00-9:00am: Brett Connolly and Jazmin Walker
  • 12:00-12:30pm: The Orlando Sentinel didn't mention it.
  • 4:00-5:00pm: Meredith McDonough and Summer Knowles
  • 5:00-5:30pm: Jim Payne and Angela Taylor
  • 5:30-6:00pm: Stewart Moore and Angela Taylor
  • 6:00-6:30pm: Jim Payne and Meredith McDonough
  • 10:00-11:00pm: Stewart Moore and Angela Taylor
  • 11:00-11:35pm: Jim Payne and Meredith McDonough
  • Weekends from 5:00-8:00am: TBD as WESH 2 will determine that later.
  • Weekends at 6:00, 10:00 and 11:00pm: Adrian Whitsett will be solo now.

If Jason & Michelle anchor the noon show now more then likely they will continue to anchor it.

• Like 5

Folks, I'm going to ask everybody at TVNT to please send their prayers and condolences to FOX 11's Maria Quiban. Maria's husband Sean Whitesell has

passed away today of brain cancer this past Monday at 2:42am.

TVNT sends our condolences to Maria, their son Gus, and their extended family at KTTV FOX 11.

https://www.facebook.com/MariasEarth/

Retirement videos for the following

Cabot Rea at WCMH/ NBC 4 in Columbus, Ohio retired on Dec 18, 2015 after 30 years with the station.

http://nbc4i.com/2015/12/18/30-years-with-cabot-rea-cabots-last-day/

Ruth Spencer at WDIV/ Local 4 in Detroit also retired on Dec18, 2015 after 25 years with the station.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/video/ruth-spencers-reflections-on-her-career

In more Memphis news, Ben Watson is reportedly out at WMC. He was a long running reporter and weekend anchor for nearly 30 years. This happened a few weeks ago and evidently even his colleagues don't know what's going on. He was just suddenly released.

Wow! That was sudden. Last I heard when Felicia Bolton was filling in for him, he was simply having some "time off."

Perhaps another reporter will be promoted to weekend morning anchor, necessitating the hire of a new reporter... [MEDIA=twitter]682017613900283905[/MEDIA]

Interesting that Ian Silver has been added to the website (has a government reporter), but Ben Watson wasn't removed. His removal wasn't confirmed by the station, but former employees Tim Van Horn and Amy Speropolous confirmed it on their personal Facebook pages.

I've noticed WMC has been notoriously bad for updating their employee page for that. It still says Kontji Anthony is a reporter and weekend morning anchor! In other news, Ari Alexander has left the station as well (and he's still listed too!)... [MEDIA=twitter]682286100174487557[/MEDIA]

Nope. I don't even think she had any formal training on presenting weather prior to this. Which is really baffling because, as I mentioned before, they hired Kimberly King (whom was a traffic reporter/ fill-in weather person at KNSD--before being laid off) several years ago and that ended horribly. King, had very limited weather experience, yet KFMB hired her. Why they would ditch a meteorologist in Kimi Evans is beyond baffling.

The funny thing is that KFMB for several years had expected/demanded that their weather anchors be AMS certified, but with recent hires, they've gone back and forth in selecting candidates with or without the seal or even being a meteorologist.

Money perhaps? I know AMS-certified meteorologists usually demand higher salaries.

Money perhaps? I know AMS-certified meteorologists usually demand higher salaries.

It's a possibility, but there have been a few cases in which the weather anchors got their AMS certification after they had been hired (sometimes several years later). I think that it just depended on the ND/GM. They certainly took advantage in doing promos which touted being the only station in town with all AMS-certified mets. This was several years ago...

It's a possibility, but there have been a few cases in which the weather anchors got their AMS certification after they had been hired (sometimes several years later). I think that it just depended on the ND/GM. They certainly took advantage in doing promos which touted being the only station in town with all AMS-certified mets. This was several years ago...

Question have there been any weather personalities that have transfer from weather to news? We see many go from sports to news, but has there been some go from weather to news?

Question have there been any weather personalities that have transfer from weather to news? We see many go from sports to news, but has there been some go from weather to news?

Allison Miller, the morning news anchor at KEYE in Austin, was originally one of their meteorologists. She still fills in from time to time.

In Houston, going the opposite way, Khambrel Marshall at KPRC was originally the 4 pm anchor before taking a behind the scenes job. During that time he went to school to get his weather degree and he is now the weekend evening meteorologist, in addition to hosting their weekly public affairs show, Newsmakers.

Here in San Diego there have been a few. Robert Santos was the weekday weather guy at KGTV before being promoted to Weekend AM anchor. Greg Bledsoe at KNSD does news and weather for their weekend AM newscasts. I can't forget the late-great Loren Nancarrow who went from weather to news. He did weather at KGTV and then joined KSWB first as a fill-in wx guy before anchoring the evening newscasts.

Here in San Diego there have been a few. Robert Santos was the weekday weather guy at KGTV before being promoted to Weekend AM anchor. Greg Bledsoe at KNSD does news and weather for their weekend AM newscasts. I can't forget the late-great Loren Nancarrow who went from weather to news. He did weather at KGTV and then joined KSWB first as a fill-in wx guy before anchoring the evening newscasts.

Santos started as a reporter at KION/KBCA in the late 90's in Monterey/Salinas. Santos got his wx chops in Seattle and Vegas

Nancarrow started as a reporter at KFMB in the early 80's.

Larry Himmel went to WX after reporting ...but bounced all over the place.

Keep an eye on Jeff Zevly as he is earning the nickname of "Larry 2.0"

• Like 2

Not likely given the hundreds of applicants a San Diego wx opening will attract. They are all dying to come here and will work for fish...just like Shamu at Sea World.

• Like 1

Santos started as a reporter at KION/KBCA in the late 90's in Monterey/Salinas. Santos got his wx chops in Seattle and Vegas

Nancarrow started as a reporter at KFMB in the early 80's.

Larry Himmel went to WX after reporting ...but bounced all over the place.

Keep an eye on Jeff Zevly as he is earning the nickname of "Larry 2.0"

Larry was like the jack of all trades. They had him doing mostly feature stories, but would do weather and sports occasionally. Zevely did mention that he was offered Larry's old position. Is it a bad thing to be referred as Larry 2.0?

Wow, some big shake-up going on. Wonder what's happening.

Your guess is as good as mine that there are definitely some turbulent times ahead over at 1960 Union.

KTVI in St. Louis is starting an 11:00 pm weeknight newscast on January 18:

http://fox2now.com/2016/01/01/jasmine-huda-to-join-fox-2s-shirley-washington-for-new-11pm-newscast/

That's kinda odd for a TV station outside of the Eastern and Pacific time zones to have a newscast that late in the evening when everybody else goes no longer than 10:35pm on most nights.

• Like 1

IIRC, KSTP/Minneapolis had a 11:00PM newscast from 2011-13.

That's right. When JKL went to 11:35pm ET/10:35pm CT in 2013, KSTP put the 11:00pm newscast into its 10:00pm newscast and created an hour-long newscast out of that.

It wasn't until 2015 when KSTP shortened it again to a half-hour at 10:00pm, basically getting rid of Minnesota's only hour-long 10:00pm weeknight newscast.

A "key piece" of equipment for the transmitters of KFOR and sister independent KAUT suffered damage Friday morning (January 1) due to falling ice created by the winter storm that hit Oklahoma on December 26 and 27 that melted off their tower.

As of 6:00 p.m. yesterday, KFOR's main signal was restored, although its Antenna TV subchannel on 4.2 remains blank as of 10:00 a.m. today (so unless you had Cox Communications or any other provider that receives KFOR-DT2 via a direct fiber connection, those in the Oklahoma City market trying to watch Antenna TV likely missed the network premiere of the Carson era Tonight Show episodes), while KAUT (and effectively, its This TV subchannel on 43.2) is dark completely (presumably, if it was to be added on New Year's Day, this may have delayed the station's launch of Escape, which is to be added on a new 43.3 subchannel through an agreement signed between Tribune and Katz Broadcasting in November).

http://kfor.com/2016/01/01/ice-damage-knocked-kfor-off-the-air-for-many-engineers-working-to-fix-problem/

KTVI in St. Louis is starting an 11:00 pm weeknight newscast on January 18:

http://fox2now.com/2016/01/01/jasmine-huda-to-join-fox-2s-shirley-washington-for-new-11pm-newscast/

That's kinda odd for a TV station outside of the Eastern and Pacific time zones to have a newscast that late in the evening when everybody else goes no longer than 10:35pm on most nights.

While it is odd for the geographic location, it's kind of a smart idea in foresight, since some of the sporting events Fox airs during prime time (such as the World Series and NCAA college football regular season and conference championship games) do spill over into that hour. In addition, if a prime time game that aired on a weeknight only spilled past 10:30, it would allow KTVI to air an hour-long late newscast, which it otherwise wouldn't be able to do when the 9:00 p.m. show is preempted.

Lowell Melser at 11 is a meteorologist and they use him when they need a fill in.

A "key piece" of equipment for the transmitters of KFOR and sister independent KAUT suffered damage Friday morning (January 1) due to falling ice created by the winter storm that hit Oklahoma on December 26 and 27 that melted off their tower.

As of 6:00 p.m. yesterday, KFOR's main signal was restored, although its Antenna TV subchannel on 4.2 remains blank as of 10:00 a.m. today (so unless you had Cox Communications or any other provider that receives KFOR-DT2 via a direct fiber connection, those in the Oklahoma City market trying to watch Antenna TV likely missed the network premiere of the Carson era Tonight Show episodes), while KAUT (and effectively, its This TV subchannel on 43.2) is dark completely (presumably, if it was to be added on New Year's Day, this may have delayed the station's launch of Escape, which is to be added on a new 43.3 subchannel through an agreement signed between Tribune and Katz Broadcasting in November).

http://kfor.com/2016/01/01/ice-damage-knocked-kfor-off-the-air-for-many-engineers-working-to-fix-problem/

I find it a bit odd that KFOR's sub channels are off when the main signal was restored but they are carried on cable.

I find it a bit odd that KFOR's sub channels are off when the main signal was restored but they are carried on cable.

Yeah, it doesn't make sense to me either. The station receives Antenna TV, like with NBC on its main signal, via satellite, so I'm not sure what's causing that issue. The equipment affected could include links that relay Antenna TV's signal from the satellite receivers to the transmitter, but that's just an assumption.

However, many cable systems, like Cox and AT&T U-verse, receive local stations within their market via a fiber optic feed provided by the station, so KFOR, KAUT and their existing subchannels are still viewable on those two providers (not sure about any others within central and western Oklahoma, some smaller ones farther out probably pick up those and other Oklahoma City stations off-air).

Yeah, it doesn't make sense to me either. The station receives Antenna TV, like with NBC on its main signal, via satellite, so I'm not sure what's causing that issue. The equipment affected could include links that relay Antenna TV's signal from the satellite receivers to the transmitter, but that's just an assumption.

However, many cable systems, like Cox and AT&T U-verse, receive local stations within their market via a fiber optic feed provided by the station, so KFOR, KAUT and their existing subchannels are still viewable on those two providers (not sure about any others within central and western Oklahoma, some smaller ones farther out probably pick up those and other Oklahoma City stations off-air).

Anytime you are bring a transmitter back to life it's a slow and methodical process.

If there was Ice or water involved in any part of the transmission plant you take your time. Assume there will be other problems as you "re-load" the transmitter.

You work in reverse....the way they taught you "old school". The last thing you want to do it go flipping a bunch of switches and create new or miss unfounded problems during re-start.

Subcarriers and cable linksusually are restored last... once system stability on the main channels and paths are fully stable and restored.

• rkolsen pinned, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • rkolsen locked this topic
  • rkolsen unlocked and pinned this topic