Out & About

TexasTVNews

I think WFAA should also get Charlie Van Dyke as their VO.

Would be strange to hear Charlie there after their longtime voice of News 8, not only because the current announcer has voiced WFAA's newscasts for so long, but also it would be Charlie's *third* station (after KDFW and KTVT) if he were brought on at WFAA.

• Like 1

Apparently jim watkins departed from was dismissed from wtnh, COME ON he got replaced by kids and young hotties fresh out of college or out of their first tv job?! they also dismissed ali reed.

http://www.newenglandone.com/news/local-news/item/1154-jim-watkins-out-at-wtnh.html

Hasn't he been a liability for some time just drifting from station to station? Prior to this he was at the FioS1 end of RNN.

I already posted this on the "Random WBBM Thread," but today, WFOR 4 officially announces that Rudabeh Shahbazi (A hottie, IMO) will anchor CBS 4 News at 5:00, 5:30 and 11:00 while Lauren Pastrana is promoted to anchor "CBS 4 News This Morning" from 5:00-7:00 a.m. with Walter Makaula: http://miami.cbslocal.com/2015/09/23/cbs4-names-rudabeh-shahbazi-late-news-anchor-and-lauren-pastrana-morning-news-anchor/

• Like 1

Former WPMI morning meteorologist Deitra Tate has been named as the Weekend AM meteorologist at WAVY.

http://collectivetalent.com/news/story/110

Seems pretty unusual for a station to have 5 meteorologists on staff (Tate; Don Slater; Jeremy Wheeler; Tiffany Savona and Ashley Baylor). Rather curious to see how the assignment order shakes out.

Well, now we know why Deitra Tate was hired. Tiffany Savona's on her way to Louisville, KY and today is her last day

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10153692437033993

I wonder how much it's costing the stations to keep renting out that A-Star, while Chopper 8 is down for maintenance? Heck, KFMB upgraded some of its tower cams to HD, maybe they can get working with the chopper's owner to get it replaced. It's been down, how many times this year?

The A-Star is provided as a replacement at no extra charge when the problem is on the platform equipment. The cost comes out of the pocket of Welk or Angel Air or whoever is the provider for Clearchannel / IHM or whoever owns former Metro now.

I bet N925tv has the answer to that.

The A-Star is provided as a replacement at no extra charge when the problem is on the platform equipment. The cost comes out of the pocket of Welk or Angel Air or whoever is the provider for Clearchannel / IHM or whoever owns former Metro now.

It's a bit confusing since Phil Konstantin lists Total Traffic Networks as his employer, yet the helicopter is listed on National Helicopter's website. Are they the same company?

It's a bit confusing since Phil Konstantin lists Total Traffic Networks as his employer, yet the helicopter is listed on National Helicopter's website. Are they the same company?

Total Traffic is part of I Heart Media or former Clear Channel....or The Former Metro Networks (aka) Metro Traffic Control.

There are 2 different companies...Everyone that reports from Chopper 8 is a TTN employee. KFMB employees are not authorized to fly in Chopper 8.

You are correct that national owns the actual airship.

Talk about a fast promotion. Rudaneh Shabazi who replaced Rhiannon Ally as morning co-anchor at Miami CBS owned WFOR in August is being promoted to weeknight 5 & 11 pm co-anchor replacing Irika Sargent who left for Chicago CBS owned station WBBM. Lauren Pastrana will be the new morning co-anchor.

http://www.adweek.com/tvspy/rubadeh-shahbazi-replaces-irika-sargent-at-wfor/155601

Talk about a fast promotion. Rudaneh Shabazi who replaced Rhiannon Ally as morning co-anchor at Miami CBS owned WFOR in August is being promoted to weeknight 5 & 11 pm co-anchor replacing Irika Sargent who left for Chicago CBS owned station WBBM. Lauren Pastrana will be the new morning co-anchor.

http://www.adweek.com/tvspy/rubadeh-shahbazi-replaces-irika-sargent-at-wfor/155601

It definitely was a fast promotion. It's almost like she already had the job. Maybe this was in the works for a while but this is really fast.

It definitely was a fast promotion. It's almost like she already had the job. Maybe this was in the works for a while but this is really fast.

Yes it was. She just arrived last month! And already... she gets the evening gig. That's why I thought she would be the least candidate to replace Irika and have Cynthia Demos actually to replace her, but then again, she was in my list of one of three candidates to replace her.

From that three, Rudabeh gets promoted to evening anchor, Lauren moves to the morning where she used to fill-in and Cynthia gets nothing in return, by staying as weekend anchor.

Another change at KJRH's weather team...

Morning/weekend meteorologist Brittany Rainey is leaving the station to return to Florida after 3 years in the market. Her final broadcast is on Sunday night. She made the announcement on her Facebook page Tuesday.

Meanwhile, KJRH has hired meteorologist (and Tulsa native) Jon Haverfield from KWTX in Waco.

Nick Allard who was the morning meteorologist at Portland, OR NBC affiliate KGW is moving back up to Seattle to join Seattle CBS affiliate KIRO as their morning meteorologist. Allard previously worked in Seattle for NBC affiliate KING and sister station NWCN. Now one has to wonder where does this put Morgan Palmer who is the current morning meteorologist at KIRO?

http://www.ftvlive.com/todays-news/2015/9/25/two-out-the-door-in-portland

I would think National Helicopter would pay for the rental of the A-Star from ACA. Maybe I'm missing something, but I doubt ACA would just give their helicopter at no charge, especially since they aren't affiliated as far as I know.

They're still using the A-Star today, quality and picture better than ever as always. Pic of the inside from Wednesday, shows the ACA logo on the door.

[MEDIA=twitter]646844029292773376[/MEDIA]

• Like 1

Two of Waypoint Media's stations in Mississippi are adding local news on October 5th. One of them is doing so for the first time ever while the other one hasn't done a local newscast in 10 years:

[MEDIA=twitter]644535304007852032[/MEDIA]

[MEDIA=twitter]647861582865674240[/MEDIA]

I would think National Helicopter would pay for the rental of the A-Star from ACA. Maybe I'm missing something, but I doubt ACA would just give their helicopter at no charge, especially since they aren't affiliated as far as I know.

They're still using the A-Star today, quality and picture better than ever as always. Pic of the inside from Wednesday, shows the ACA logo on the door.

[MEDIA=twitter]646844029292773376[/MEDIA]

I'm surprised that National Helicopter does not have a backup chopper of their own to use. I remember the days, (before every station decided to share a chopper) when Chopper 8 went down, KFMB was screwed and had no use of the helicopter.

I really enjoy the nice crisp and steady pictures from the backup chopper. Here's hoping they can keep it at some point.

I'm surprised that National Helicopter does not have a backup chopper of their own to use. I remember the days, (before every station decided to share a chopper) when Chopper 8 went down, KFMB was screwed and had no use of the helicopter.

I really enjoy the nice crisp and steady pictures from the backup chopper. Here's hoping they can keep it at some point.

Watching the station feed this week I could tell the pilot was having fun getting from point to point twice as fast. They also got to hover like real choppers do.

Ohhhhhh ahhhhhhhhh!

Watching the station feed this week I could tell the pilot was having fun getting from point to point twice as fast. They also got to hover like real choppers do.

Ohhhhhh ahhhhhhhhh!

I bet. The other day they went from Vista/78 to Downtown/5 in about 15-20 minutes. No way in hell, the old clunker gets them there in that amount of time. Hell, they could use a "New & Improved CHOPPER 8" in a promo...

Two of Waypoint Media's stations in Mississippi are adding local news on October 5th. One of them is doing so for the first time ever while the other one hasn't done a local newscast in 10 years:

[MEDIA=twitter]644535304007852032[/MEDIA]

[MEDIA=twitter]647861582865674240[/MEDIA]

It will be interesting to see how similar the efforts are. I'm i'm not mistaken, WHPM is essentially operated out of WGBC in Meridian, which could mean a total simulcast, or even something very much like WHLT has done with their parent station, WJTV in Jackson by inserting local content segments into a newscast fed by the parent station.

This also could explain why there's only an effort to produce a 9pm show as opposed to on at all of the other times for WGBC's .2 (NBC) and WMDN. The last time those stations had news was when WMDN ceased producing it over a decade ago, and a few years prior, they had taken over WGBC's as well by just simulcasting the news on both stations before settling on airing news on just WMDN.

It's a long overdue move that should be an alternative to WTOK for Meridian viewers and that gives both markets a 9pm newscast finally.

• Like 1

It will be interesting to see how similar the efforts are. I'm i'm not mistaken, WHPM is essentially operated out of WGBC in Meridian, which could mean a total simulcast, or even something very much like WHLT has done with their parent station, WJTV in Jackson by inserting local content segments into a newscast fed by the parent station.

This also could explain why there's only an effort to produce a 9pm show as opposed to on at all of the other times for WGBC's .2 (NBC) and WMDN. The last time those stations had news was when WMDN ceased producing it over a decade ago, and a few years prior, they had taken over WGBC's as well by just simulcasting the news on both stations before settling on airing news on just WMDN.

It's a long overdue move that should be an alternative to WTOK for Meridian viewers and that gives both markets a 9pm newscast finally.

After so many half-ass attempts in the past, hopefully they realize and have found a path not to repeat history. Crime in that market is at an all-time high. The communities and neighborhoods are seriously on edge. If the station takes more of a promotionally-active "investigative/holding accountable/taking back our streets" type of approach and offers something besides a carbon copy of what the viewers would see on WTOK then there may be some hope. Another thing they will surely have to do in the long term is focus on weather, always be ready for storm coverage and offer weekend shows .... None of the prior attempts at newscasts offered weekend shows and having a presence every day will prove to viewers that they are serious and are in it for the long-term. A weekday newscast may work to get them started, but they had better be prepared to go 7 days a week at some point. Best of luck to them!