Out & About

TexasTVNews

It's another possibility. WJW absorbing WBNX would bring another CW affiliation into Tribune's fold and would give the largest independently owned & operated CW station to the largest operator. Doing so would prevent competition to their 10pm show. They could even take the KPLR approach if they had to for an 8pm SHOW!

Back in late 1995, WBNX (which was finally starting to find footing in the Cleveland market) actually aired WJW's 10pm newscast seven nights a week in a one-hour tape delay. That ended shortly after Fox completed its purchase of WJW in September 1996.

I believe the Indians going away from WUAB was mainly a result of the Dolan Family (who owns the Indians AND Cablevision) wanting an exclusive cable deal with Fox Sports Ohio at the time. Dennis Kucinich (then a congressman) even lobbied for legislation requiring teams that had facilities funded with tax dollars to broadcast their games on "free tv". It went nowhere and the Indians packed up for cable, snapping 21 years of ratings success for WUAB. WUAB once had the highest MLB ratings of any station that carried games, and was a large factor in the station being carried out-of-market in such places as Erie, Columbus, Youngstown, and even Portsmouth!

I don't really fault Raycom for losing the Indians rights for WUAB. It was going to happen regardless of who owned the station, mainly because Larry Dolan overpaid for the team (Dick Jacobs was one lucky SOB; he sold the team at peak value with a massive payroll that couldn't be sustained in the long run). Moving solely to Fox Sports Ohio was a fait accompli.

And as it went, the Dolan family eventually wanted to cut the middleman and operate their own regional sports network akin to YES, NESN and SNY, so they left Fox Sports Ohio and launched their own RSN in collaboration with Time Warner and WKYC/Gannett. (Extra trivia note: Larry's brother Charles Dolan vis-a-vis Cablevision bought and launched the original SportsRadio 1220 WKNR in 1991, making it a rather faithful clone of WFAN, and acquired the Indians' radio PBP rights. Cablevision sold WKNR to Jacor Communications as the era of radio consolidation began to rear its ugly head.)

Thing is, the Yankees, Red Sox and Mets can get away with running an RSN, but a mid-major market team like the Indians really cannot... SportsTime Ohio was often hard-pressed to find any additional programming that wasn't Indians-related, not to mention that the RSN revenue pie was already cut thin with Fox Sports Ohio's continued existence (and they still had Cavaliers PBP rights in the midst of LeBron's first stint with the team). When the Dolans sold SportsTime Ohio to Fox, it was hardly a surprise to anyone.

As for WKYC, they did air several games per year that were billed as from "Channel 3 Sports" for the first few years of STO's life. Jim Donovan was the lead PBP announcer for those games, which STO would simulcast. That arrangement was flipped during the 2010 season, around the same time Donovan had to relinquish the PBP role while in treatment for leukemia.

The call letters WGCL have ties to Cleveland , as it was the longtime call letters for 98.5 until the mid 80s. It's been WNCX ever since.

Fun fact: that iteration of WGCL (again, the current WNCX/98.5) and WZGC/92.9 in Atlanta were sister stations, owned for many years by General Cinemas. Hence, the "GC" calls.

• Like 1

KGTV is now jumping on the 4 pm "news" bandwagon... they just aired a promo for "The Now San Diego" premiering September 14th. It's going to be on at 4 pm. Let's see how long this lasts...

It'll last. It ruined KSHB, taking them from first to worst, yet they're still stuck with it. It's actually amazing how they're just now getting the the show.

KGTV is now jumping on the 4 pm "news" bandwagon... they just aired a promo for "The Now San Diego" premiering September 14th. It's going to be on at 4 pm. Let's see how long this lasts...

Very generic promo, lumped in with the other afternoon programming. I noticed that for the afternoon lineup graphic, they used a blue version of the graphics.

It'll last. It ruined KSHB, taking them from first to worst, yet they're still stuck with it. It's actually amazing how they're just now getting the the show.

I'm sure that they had no choice but to do it since they had several holes during the afternoon programming and they probably did not want to invest in syndicated programming to fill the void.

I guess it's one of those shows that if you're owned by Scripps you have to air all of the shows created by the company. So it's not surprising to me that KGTV is jumping into the 4pm News game.

KTVU is expanding Mornings on 2 to six hours starting September 14. An additional hour is being tacked onto the program at 9:00 a.m., just six months after it added a 4:00 a.m. half-hour to the station's morning news block.

Basically... KTVU against KRON in BOTH weekday and weekend mornings (BOTH air from 4:00-10:00am Weekdays and 7:00-10:00am Weekends. Coincidence? I'm not sure.)

Not sure if this has already been posted yet. But Rhiannon Ally and Crista Dubill have swapped 6 & 10pm. Rhiannon is now doing the 10pm and Crista is now doing the 6pm. So new evening schedule is Crista & Justin at 4, Rhiannon & Mike at 5, Crista & Mike at 6, Rhiannon & Mike at 10.

The South Florida Sun-Sentinel stated today that WSVN will start its new Sunday Morning newscast on the weekend of Sept. 12. Their newscast will air from 8-11am. The station already have its Saturday morning broadcast from 7-10am.

I have been waiting for something like that since forever! I say... IT'S ABOUT DAMN TIME! :-D Very excited and happy to hear this.

Never noticed how high up WRC's skycams are. In this clip you can see a helicopter flying on the bottom of the video frame.

Also when did their news desk get a monitor installed?

I'll have to look at when the desk got a monitor, but think it was around the time that they changed the font for the word "NEWS".

As for the skycam, based on the angle of the view, it's on one of the buildings in Crystal City (where I work). The camera can easily pick up the traffic going into or out of Reagan National Airport. I've also seen it swung down to look at the airport, usually during weather segments.

Jim

The South Florida Sun-Sentinel stated today that WSVN will start its new Sunday Morning newscast on the weekend of Sept. 12. Their newscast will air from 8-11am. The station already have its Saturday morning broadcast from 7-10am.

So what happens to Fox News Sunday, Fox NFL Kickoff and Fox NFL Sunday? Will they get preempted because of that?

So what happens to Fox News Sunday, Fox NFL Kickoff and Fox NFL Sunday? Will they get preempted because of that?

The Fox NFL Preshows starts airing at 11am. So that'll be unaffected.

WSVN doesn't air Fox News Sunday until 4am Monday morning. It airs E/I content & infomercial during those early hours.

The Fox NFL Preshows starts airing at 11am. So that'll be unaffected.

WSVN doesn't air Fox News Sunday until 4am Monday morning. It airs E/I content & infomercial during those early hours.

Ok so then it's 7 News Sunday Morning from 8-11am then FOX NFL Kickoff at 11am ET and FOX NFL Sunday at Noon ET

Very generic promo, lumped in with the other afternoon programming. I noticed that for the afternoon lineup graphic, they used a blue version of the graphics.

What's up with their graphic department? They used an old cast photo for Right This Minute:rolleyes: (two of their original on-air talent left within the past year), it's rather cringeworthy for the lack of attention to detail. You just need 10 seconds to do a simple online research to find out who is currently on the show.

What's up with their graphic department? They used an old cast photo for Right This Minute:rolleyes: (two of their original on-air talent left within the past year), it's rather cringeworthy for the lack of attention to detail. You just need 10 seconds to do a simple online research to find out who is currently on the show.

And this is the station that still has the old glossy ABC 10 logo on the desk, 2 years after the network stopped using it. It will take them a year to remove it from circulation. That's how long it took them to update the ABC 10 on-screen logo/bug. I won't even get into the mic flags...

I won't even get into the mic flags...

I guess they are going for a vintage look perhaps? Their new promos have shown close-ups of one of their rotten mic flags, as if they were proud to show that their equipment has weathered the Southern California drought, how versatile they are!

• rkolsen pinned, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • rkolsen locked this topic
  • rkolsen unlocked and pinned this topic