Out & About

TexasTVNews

That was worth the laugh.

If anything, WOIO's new logo should have been in a blue and silver color scheme instead of blue and gold. I think 'dated...' because WJW's short-lived "Fox 8 Is NEWS" logo (for less than three weeks in September 1996... no proof of it exists on YouTube anywhere) had the same exact color scheme.

The (SC)UofM and the Golden State Warriors are the LAST things that came to my mind.

Thank goodness black and yellow weren't in the plans....that would have caused riots in the streets from angry Cleveland sports fans ;)

I do remember the brief "FOX 8 is News" branding.....it must have been someone's last gasp at doing anything to keep the station from being called "FOX 8"

...and of course, WJW kept a blue, gray and gold color scheme for over a decade from late 1997 to mid 2007, even though it was mostly blue from 2002 onwards with their Giant Octopus package.

Still looks like something TVbD would have done in 1996 to me.

Speaking of TVbD, that group did the GFX for 'OIO since Day 1 (1985) until 1996 (In '95, they also did the GFX for "19NEWS" and WUAB 43 using the template from another 19--WXIX in Cincy.)

Reminds me of this old logo used by WCAV in Charlottesville, VA.

wcav_cbs19_big.jpg

Something seemed small-market about the new WOIO logo...and this is likely the reason why.

The question is....did Raycom rip off Gray or vice versa? The original WOIO "CBS 19" came into existence in 2002 ...and WCAV signed on in 2004...

It's probably a coincidence, but ripoffs are becoming more prevalent and noticeable these days....

Sad news to report, Dr. James "Red" Duke has passed away today. Dr. Duke is famous for his syndication medical reports from the 70s, 80s, and 90s. Dr. Duke was 86. TVNT would like to offer our condolences to the Duke family.

http://abc13.com/news/iconic-houston-surgeon-dr-james-red-duke-passes-away/957048/

Former WWL general manager J. Michael Early passed away today at age 99. He took the GM position in 1961 and guilded the station until 1998. He pretty much was the reason Channel 4 has been top rated in New Orleans since the late 1970s.

http://www.wwltv.com/story/about-us/2015/08/26/michael-early-wwl-general-manager/32393221/

Based on this Facebook post from KBAK, it looks like Dave Gonzales is no longer just temporarily filling in and has officially joined the Eyewitness News team. Also, KBAK has poached another anchor from a rival station with former KGET 6pm anchor Rachelle Murcia joining the station to co-anchor with Dave on the evening newscasts. Last month, Erin Briscoe left the KERO morning show to join KBAK for the same duties.

Lance Crawford is returning to WPMI as sports director....

http://lagniappemobile.com/wala-extends-nightly-news-go-head-head-competition/

This comes a little under two years after WPMI failed to renew his contract when he was the lead sports anchor with Clement Townsend...

http://lagniappemobile.com/lance-crawford-out-as-wpmi-shakes-up-staff/

Clement took the reins as the sole sports director until leaving for another job several months later. The sports job was vacant until last September when Paxton Boyd was hired. He lasted less than a year.

Interesting move as this is the second about-face the station has made under the current management, who made the earlier changes under their watch as well...the first being swapping Deitra Tate and Kelly Foster back into their prior roles as weekend and morning meteorologist, respectively.

There's still no word on who will be replacing Deitra Tate, as well as departing Chief Meteorologist Derek Beasley...both who will be leaving in the next few weeks...

I know with what all was going on in Roanoke with the shooting at WDBJ, that it might have been highly inappropriate to report this at that time. This still might be, but as I was watching the WSET live feed yesterday at 5 PM, I noticed that Mark Spain was sitting next to Noreen Turyn.

http://www.wset.com/story/28846857/mark-spain

Three big stories from DCRTV:

Derek McGinty announces his departure from WUSA, but will continue to host Capital Download.

Erica Grow also announces her departure from WUSA to take a weekend weather position at WNBC.

Scott Smith is leaving WTTG in three months after his contract expires as the station is "de-emphasizing" traditional sports.

Three big stories from DCRTV:

Derek McGinty announces his departure from WUSA, but will continue to host Capital Download.

Erica Grow also announces her departure from WUSA to take a weekend weather position at WNBC.

Scott Smith is leaving WTTG in three months after his contract expires as the station is "de-emphasizing" traditional sports.

Derek leaving WUSA that kind of big with Derek McGinty, Lesli Foster and Jan Jeffcoat holding the evening newscast down. I wonder will TEGNA poached some talent from WTTG or WJLA or find someone from in-house TEGNA stations.

Based on this Facebook post from KBAK, it looks like Dave Gonzales is no longer just temporarily filling in and has officially joined the Eyewitness News team. Also, KBAK has poached another anchor from a rival station with former KGET 6pm anchor Rachelle Murcia joining the station to co-anchor with Dave on the evening newscasts. Last month, Erin Briscoe left the KERO morning show to join KBAK for the same duties.

Now just add NBG as the new GM and Doug Dougherty (sp) as the operations director...and you got the old band from San Diego(KCST) and LA(KCBS/KCAL) back together. They may actually do some serious damage to KGET and KERO. Can they get Doug from KGW?

Reported a week ago and I guess it now official since it in the local paper. Starting Sept 7 WKMG will air a 4pm news and will be dumping the Local 6 brand for "News 6 Getting Results"

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment/tv/tv-guy/os-wkmg-adds-4-pm-newscast-20150827-post.html

Trust me. They'll go with News 6, and not with that slogan. I reported on this, FIRST, days ago on my blog.

• Like 1

Former WWL-TV chief meteorologist Dave Barnes passed away Saturday in Florida due to complications from cancer. He was 78.

Before coming to Channel 4, he spent eight years as head of the National Weather Service's New Orleans office (office later moved to Slidell). He was part of the powerhouse team that included Garland Robinette, Angela Hill and Jim Henderson.

http://www.wwltv.com/story/news/local/2014/09/15/former-wwl-tv-chief-meteorologist-dave-barnes-dies-at-78/15670189/

1410799917000-dave%20barnes%20002.jpg

432828310_WWLTV6-12-19830001.thumb.jpg.e5fe70b63074874574ce4e1732688c53.jpg

My belated tribute to David Plank Barnes Jr....

1810325971_WWLTV5-29-19830001.thumb.jpg.d17a7a59f1c2365ba9e8cf3ef28e3125.jpg

1654306795_WWLTV6-5-19830001.thumb.jpg.84e9d4957a05a72f2a6509293d3e8a98.jpg

WUAB will be making some major programming changes beyond the "CLE43" rebrand.

Current lineup:

WUAB-Q2_.jpg

Upcoming lineup:

WUAB-Q4-2015-Program-Schedule.jpg

Yes, for the first time ever, Cleveland will have a 9pm newscast. And WUAB has apparently conceded defeat after competing with WJW in the 10pm timeslot for 21 years.

• rkolsen pinned, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • rkolsen locked this topic
  • rkolsen unlocked and pinned this topic