Out & About

TexasTVNews

At least WOIO and WUAB aren't sharing the same logos (ie, "Hometeam 19" and "Hometeam 43").

Over/under on WOIO morphing from "Cleveland 19 News" to "CBS 19 News?" I say six months.

I'm betting on two years, "Ohio 19 News", and a shift in focus to the Akron area. Seriously, if WOIO pulled a WEAR and focused its efforts on Akron, then they would be out of the gutter and could gain a reputation for having more Akron/Canton news than 3, 5 or, 8.

Meh...they should have gone back to ground zero and made a whole new logo. The color scheme screams Kent State.

I don't know what to think of WUAB's latest logo, but it drives this once-proud station further into irrelevance.

I'm betting on two years, "Ohio 19 News", and a shift in focus to the Akron area. Seriously, if WOIO pulled a WEAR and focused its efforts on Akron, then they would be out of the gutter and could gain a reputation for having more Akron/Canton news than 3, 5 or, 8.

I doubt Akron will ever see one of the Cleveland stations re-focusing their efforts down there. All such efforts have failed including WAKR/WAKC's ABC afflilation and news department (which is now ion station WVPX) and WOAC's Canton operation which sold out years ago (now religious station WRLM).

The death knell that spelled doom for WAKC was their separation from their radio counterparts in the 1980s, taking away their profitability and being in the Cleveland market seriously hurt their market share which meant they could not benefit from strong Akron/Canton numbers since they were being measured as part of the entire market.

The other problem with WOIO is their signal in Akron itself. Until the digital transition, they could get a decent analog signal on channel 19. The digital transition moved them to channel 10, which is much lower power, and short-spaced to a station in London, Ontario. They had to put a digital translator in Akron to boost the signal.

I'd like to see DART try the "Transit TV" with original content plus content from NBC (with local news from KXAS and KXTX, and clips from NBC and Telemundo, among other NBCU properties).

Well, the newest DART buses have monitors with still images (looking somewhat like a Powerpoint display/presentation) but I don't know if they're ready to function with streaming or archived video (whoever a potential partner might be). The light rail cars DART has do not have monitors; I'm not sure what it would take to equip them.

It's not even in use yet in their newscasts and already that logo looks horrendously dated. Did I step back in time and it's now 1995 all of a sudden?

Don't you think it kinda fits CBS though... Nothing terribly modern about what they put out anyways... That's not a bad thing either.

Here's a better picture of Cleveland's CBS 19 News logo on their Facebook page.

16928_10153571465304443_6656733294311619695_n.jpg?oh=20ae4a26731a62278a95bf38ea1c4d1b&oe=5672BA7C

Couldn't they at least have tried to make it look a little bit more like the logos for the legacy Ellis stations? (WMC, WECT, KFVS)

What about using This is the Place? Granted it might get confusing in the Youngstown DMA where WOIO is still carried because of WFMJ using TITP. However, WKBN uses Enforcer (albeit different cuts from WOIO) and they're BOTH carried in the city.

CALLED IT!!!!!

Raycom Media is on an expanding newscast spree, just in time for the new TV season:

[MEDIA=twitter]634442034074488832[/MEDIA]

[MEDIA=twitter]634528946437115905[/MEDIA]

[MEDIA=twitter]634536875143921664[/MEDIA]

Well it looks like WPDE is finally launching a 5 p.m. newscast after more than 20 years of canceling it. It's premiering on September 14.

Earlier, my thoughts about WOIO's new color scheme were that the colors were similar to Kent State.

But WOIO may have made an even bigger fail with their color scheme...

ESPECIALLY since the old colors (red and white) were similar to the Scarlet and Grey of Ohio State....

Yeah, those colors might be an issue. Everyone in NEO is probably irate about it. Lol.

Interesting change of music to TITP. I still don't know who the VO guy is (I think I said earlier that it was John Beach, but after listening to more clips it doesn't sound like him). Sounds like the guy that does promos and teases on TNT for shows such as Rizzoli and Isles, and Major Crimes.

Earlier, my thoughts about WOIO's new color scheme were that the colors were similar to Kent State.

But WOIO may have made an even bigger fail with their color scheme...

ESPECIALLY since the old colors (red and white) were similar to the Scarlet and Grey of Ohio State....

That was worth the laugh.

If anything, WOIO's new logo should have been in a blue and silver color scheme instead of blue and gold. I think 'dated...' because WJW's short-lived "Fox 8 Is NEWS" logo (for less than three weeks in September 1996... no proof of it exists on YouTube anywhere) had the same exact color scheme.

The (SC)UofM and the Golden State Warriors are the LAST things that came to my mind.