Out & About

TexasTVNews

Maybe its for the best ...ESPECIALLY with this round of major cutting and slashing [also known as 'freddy krugering'] CBS TV Stations Group is doing, that WWJ TV /WKBD dont restart a news operation ..YET!

As for WADL 38 , they are prepping for their last lap before the big spectrum auction

While seeing CBS return to 'JBK would be a dream... Fox wants to hold on to its big gems,while cultivating its recent 'adoption' [KTVU 2 - KICU 36 san fran/oakland ]

Maybe its for the best ...ESPECIALLY with this round of major cutting and slashing [also known as 'freddy krugering'] CBS TV Stations Group is doing, that WWJ TV /WKBD dont restart a news operation ..YET!

As for WADL 38 , they are prepping for their last lap before the big spectrum auction

While seeing CBS return to 'JBK would be a dream... Fox wants to hold on to its big gems,while cultivating its recent 'adoption' [KTVU 2 - KICU 36 san fran/oakland ]

WJBK is very likely the highest rated FOX station in the country... Selling it would be plain stupid. The same could be said of WXYZ and WDIV as affiliates.

WMYD is in a duopoly with WXYZ... Scripps would never get FOX on it or CBS. None of this crazy fantasy stuff is ever gonna happen.

Why can't CBS sell WWJ/WKBD to another broadcast group? That's the one question everyone's want to know. But, in my opinion; I would wish to see CBS

return to WJBK, however 'JBK is stuck like glue with FOX. But I was thinking maybe; just maybe CBS could work on either WPXD 31 or on WADL 38. My two cents.

Detroit cannot support another news outlet. It's just like newspapers, over the next few years you can expect to see TV news operations go dark...just like the papers.

Chances are if Sinclair or Nexstar tried to buy WWJ/WKBD, they probably wouldn't start with news right away, given Viacom/CBS's failures to establish a news department. Of course, Sinclair already owns plenty of stations in Michigan, while Nexstar has no Michigan presence. Even with WEVV returning to the news game come next month, WWJ, along with Sinclair-owned WTWC, would still be the only stations among others still without news, and that's one heck of anamoly that many of us in this forum are still trying to figure out. Hope I'm wrong about this.

Chances are if Sinclair or Nexstar tried to buy WWJ/WKBD, they probably wouldn't start with news right away, given Viacom/CBS's failures to establish a news department. Of course, Sinclair already owns plenty of stations in Michigan, while Nexstar has no Michigan presence. Even with WEVV returning to the news game come next month, WWJ, along with Sinclair-owned WTWC, would still be the only stations among others still without news, and that's one heck of anamoly that many of us in this forum are still trying to figure out. Hope I'm wrong about this.

Lets say WXYZ or another local news operation produced the newscast for WWJ/WKBD. How would you feel about that?

I remember back in 1995 WWJ/62CBS was telling people they were getting a local news presence, by late 90s early 2000s they were like it up to CBS. CBS owns a lot of properties with televisions & radio stations. It would be nice if CBS would move them all into one building and CBS could invest in a news operations.

Look at the FOX affiliate in Charlotte and we see how FOX bought that operation and invest in a local news program. I think CBS could do it, but the business model would be like FOX 46 in Charlotte, and I also thought if CBS sold it and Sinclair bought the station they would totally be news heavy.

As for WJBK(the former TV2) will be in FOX's hands for as long as they can. I don't see FOX selling TV2 FOX 2. I don't know why at the when WKBD had a news outlet CBS didn't try to make a deal with them since they had a news operation and I think Cox owned the station during 94-95.

Lets say WXYZ or another local news operation produced the newscast for WWJ/WKBD. How would you feel about that?

WXYZ actually did produce a 10PM newscast for WKBD from 2002 to 2005 but canned it due to low ratings compared to WJBK's newscast. Actually, the only news operation I could see producing a 10PM newscast for WKBD is WDIV and even then that wouldn't be sound doctrine to go up against 2 and 20 at 10PM.

WXYZ actually did produce a 10PM newscast for WKBD from 2002 to 2005 but canned it due to low ratings compared to WJBK's newscast. Actually, the only news operation I could see producing a 10PM newscast for WKBD is WDIV and even then that wouldn't be sound doctrine to go up against 2 and 20 at 10PM.

I think 4 would probably not want to go to the trouble...

WJBK is very likely the highest rated FOX station in the country... Selling it would be plain stupid.

Really? I've always though WTVT was the highest-rated FOX station (in terms of O&O's) in the country, considering that WTVT is #1 in most, if not all, news timeslots.

If I was CBS, I would be more than happy not to produce news if my current programming was paying the same or more (profit margin) to my bottom line.

Not only that, FOX 2, WDIV 4 and WXYZ 7 are well entrenched and when WWJ 62 did try, they got killed for it.

So its an easier choice NOT to produce news and save the money (or really the profit losses) and just invest in good syndicated programming.

Look at the FOX affiliate in Charlotte and we see how FOX bought that operation and invest in a local news program. I think CBS could do it, but the business model would be like FOX 46 in Charlotte, and I also thought if CBS sold it and Sinclair bought the station they would totally be news heavy.

Charlotte and Detroit are two completely opposite places. Charlotte is a burgeoning metropolis that has exploding growth while Detroit has been bleeding jobs and population for decades.

FOX bought WJZY because WCCB refused to sell out to them....so FOX stripped WCCB of their affiliation and ran with it after Capital Broadcasting was made an offer they couldn't refuse (and dodged a bullet in Raleigh too). Even with FIVE news operations (6 if you count TWC) and a dominant WSOC, there's the optimism and hope that keeps all 6 in operation.

WWJ was a last minute desperate move because no other station (including WADL) wanted CBS at the time. Their only option was to throw a large pile of money ($24 million) at a station that barely covered Detroit at the time. They tried, and failed numerous times trying to make it work. Therefore, CBS is doing the bare minimum to get its programming to Detroit viewers and entrusting this to another company is a risk that no sane company, and CBS iteslf is willing to take.

Atlanta was in a similar boat, but unlike Detroit, it's a growing place as well. WUPA was another insurance policy should the WGNX/WGCL deal have failed. They have more of a niche operation running a CW station there rather than have to deal with being trounced by WSB in the news ratings. This, and radio stations in a very large market is another way for CBS to make it work there.

Charlotte and Detroit are two completely opposite places. Charlotte is a burgeoning metropolis that has exploding growth while Detroit has been bleeding jobs and population for decades.

FOX bought WJZY because WCCB refused to sell out to them....so FOX stripped WCCB of their affiliation and ran with it after Capital Broadcasting was made an offer they couldn't refuse (and dodged a bullet in Raleigh too). Even with FIVE news operations (6 if you count TWC) and a dominant WSOC, there's the optimism and hope that keeps all 6 in operation.

WWJ was a last minute desperate move because no other station (including WADL) wanted CBS at the time. Their only option was to throw a large pile of money ($24 million) at a station that barely covered Detroit at the time. They tried, and failed numerous times trying to make it work. Therefore, CBS is doing the bare minimum to get its programming to Detroit viewers and entrusting this to another company is a risk that no sane company, and CBS iteslf is willing to take.

Atlanta was in a similar boat, but unlike Detroit, it's a growing place as well. WUPA was another insurance policy should the WGNX/WGCL deal have failed. They have more of a niche operation running a CW station there rather than have to deal with being trounced by WSB in the news ratings. This, and radio stations in a very large market is another way for CBS to make it work there.

It's not so much that the Detroit market isn't growing -- it is, but it is growing at a very very slow rate. There hasn't been overall population loss in the metro area, it's just that the folks that lived in the city emptied out into the suburbs and nobody replaced them. So when you hear about Detroit and population loss it applies to the city proper and not the DMA.

Yes, this is very true with Atlanta. Although WUPA and the CBS Radio cluster are located in two different locations, they work for CBS here. Additionally, WVEE is the most dominant radio station in the Atlanta radio market (consistently #1 or #2 in the PPM ratings) along with being the most profitable urban contemporary radio stations in the nation right behind CHRurban sister station WPGC-FM in Washington DC.

KFMB aired a promo announcing the arrival of Inside Edition to the 7:30pm timeslot in the fall (moving over from KGTV). Leading to speculation as to what KGTV will replace it with (it currently airs at 4pm there). The Now San Diego, perhaps?

KFMB aired a promo announcing the arrival of Inside Edition to the 7:30pm timeslot in the fall (moving over from KGTV). Leading to speculation as to what KGTV will replace it with (it currently airs at 4pm there). The Now San Diego, perhaps?

My understanding was that KGTV and KERO were both spared from "The Now" because of being on the west coast and unable to really meet the time constraints of the east/central time zone.

But I bet we can all expect something lame.....

Or

What about another half hour of the award winning 10-News???

Seeing that some mucky muck report this week that there is growth in tv newscast at 4:30am and 7pm slots.

Granted a .01% increase is still "growth".

Nothing would surprise me.

I wonder where The Insider is going.

My understanding was that KGTV and KERO were both spared from "The Now" because of being on the west coast and unable to really meet the time constraints of the east/central time zone.

But I bet we can all expect something lame.....

Or

What about another half hour of the award winning 10-News???

Seeing that some mucky muck report this week that there is growth in tv newscast at 4:30am and 7pm slots.

Granted a .01% increase is still "growth".

Nothing would surprise me.

Well since Let's Ask America got canned, and I.E. going away, KGTV will have a 1-hour hole to fill. So putting on a newscast at 4pm makes sense, unless they plan on airing that new talk show with Tyra Banks

I wonder where The Insider is going.

Was wondering myself. KUSI or XETV, perhaps?

You already got the bodies to do the newscast, and you don't have to deal with Oprah.

What will cost more?

Tyra?

News?

How about an hour of......

Cat Videos!!!!

(gunshot)

There are a few producer positions open on their jobs page. Nothing to indicate that they will be adding a 4pm newscast. They could slide Dan Haggerty over to the desk from the stupid "Live Center". He's under-utilized in that role. So they could be paired: Itica & Dan at 4/6pm, Kim & Steve at 5/7/11pm.

There are a few producer positions open on their jobs page. Nothing to indicate that they will be adding a 4pm newscast. They could slide Dan Haggerty over to the desk from the stupid "Live Center". He's under-utilized in that role. So they could be paired: Itica & Dan at 4/6pm, Kim & Steve at 5/7/11pm.

That makes a lot more sense than Tyra flopping...and it gives you another hour of local avails/news for political ads.

• rkolsen pinned, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • rkolsen locked this topic
  • rkolsen unlocked and pinned this topic