Out & About

TexasTVNews

That's the RCA building...as real New Yorkers know.

G.E. Smith was the band leader for SNL in the 90's...

Why would they name the building after him???

it was also known as the General Electric Building 30 rock too so that's where the name came from not ge smith

KHOU (and former KTRK) sports director Bob Allen has revealed he has been diagnosed with cancer. He will be taking an extended leave from KHOU, while undergoing treatment for a form of T-cell lymphoma.

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/86534/khou-sports-director-bob-allen-battling-cancer

Dave Ward said this about Bob Allen:

https://www.facebook.com/KTRKHouston/videos/10153187810159342/?fref=nf

As of 1:47a EDT, the NASCAR race is STILL on. I wonder how many NBC affiliates in EDT/CDT are actually planning a live newscast tonight and if they use the weekend PM crew or just have the morning crew anchor an abbreviated broadcast?

WRC already said they aren't going to, interesting to hear from you guys watching if your NBC affiliate is going to go live this morning after the race.

Most stations have a 2 a.m. contingency plan.

I think someone mentioned that WBAL was going to record their newscast at 11:30. It makes sense just incase they didn't make the 11:30 starting time and they decided to postpone the race until tomorrow.

I'm curious why is 2AM the contigency time? Locally WBAL plays out Dateline and Meet The Press starting at 2 AM but that time seems to vary from station to station. But now that you mention it 2AM is the latest I've seen a newscast start due to sports over runs.

I think someone mentioned that WBAL was going to record their newscast at 11:30. It makes sense just incase they didn't make the 11:30 starting time and they decided to postpone the race until tomorrow.

I'm curious why is 2AM the contigency time? Locally WBAL plays out Dateline and Meet The Press starting at 2 AM but that time seems to vary from station to station. But now that you mention it 2AM is the latest I've seen a newscast start due to sports over runs.

In most places it has to do with the ad time. If a newscast runs past say 2AM the ads from the previous day are already marked as not aired, they have to make good anyway so why keep your late newscast staffers over (and pay them overtime - if hourly). Now with stations on the east coast getting ready to start their AM Shows in just over an hour do they even run the late shows (if recorded).

In most places it has to do with the ad time. If a newscast runs past say 2AM the ads from the previous day are already marked as not aired, they have to make good anyway so why keep your late newscast staffers over (and pay them overtime - if hourly). Now with stations on the east coast getting ready to start their AM Shows in just over an hour do they even run the late shows (if recorded).

Thanks for the info. I know very little on the ad side of TV (prefer engineering and still am learning). I'm curious how does NBC deal with the what was supposed to be a four hour broadcast to an eight hour broadcast ad wise? I imagine they ran threw most of their inventory during the rain delay but would they repeat ads (assuming the could get money from them) or could they pull some advertisements from upcoming races?

Thanks for the info. I know very little on the ad side of TV (prefer engineering and still am learning). I'm curious how does NBC deal with the what was supposed to be a four hour broadcast to an eight hour broadcast ad wise? I imagine they ran threw most of their inventory during the rain delay but would they repeat ads (assuming the could get money from them) or could they pull some advertisements from upcoming races?

Honestly, I have no idea from the national perspective.

Being a Sunday night, it's the only night without a "hole" to fill with a newscast since the other nights have Tonight and SNL afterwards leaving a 30 or 35 minute hole to fill with a newscast or other program.

Therefore, it's puzzling WHY affiliates in Eastern and Central time would exert the effort of producing a LIVE newscast at such an hour. It would make more sense to call it a night and join the schedule in progress. Station or ownership policies may necessitate running a newscast, even in such a case. Likewise, the "2am" rule may prevent it. In my experience, 5am was considered the start of a new broadcast day.

Quick notes to inform you, Just yesterday KTVT CBS 11 tweak their logo from silver to gold.

10479566_848922385192248_3448815033912274809_n.jpg?oh=be0e2795e52eaaa3111f02d878b23c26&oe=561A16B7

One more note, Here are two promos of WEVV's newly revamp newscast that will launch next month.

WEVV CBS - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5IQVi5Gk-Y

WEVV FOX - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWZqwKStSB0

WEVV 44 is using Indie-Band News by Stephen Arnold Music.

• rkolsen pinned, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • rkolsen locked this topic
  • rkolsen unlocked and pinned this topic