Out & About

TexasTVNews

Here's a pic I got of the unit, from yesterday. Sorry for the bad quality.

attachicon.gif20150629_110939.jpg

I think it's being tested by KGTV. Looking around on Frontline's site, and they are doing a demo tour of the Nissan NV-ENG truck. Plus, several Scripps stations have had new deliveries of Frontline vans. KNXV has the new Nissan NV-ENG truck.

Well somebody better cut a check to CBS for the use of "Eyewitness News".

Could it be a WABC truck got lost?

? The decals say Frontline. Doesn't say Eyewitness News, although the truck is the same color as WABC's trucks.

I think it's being tested by KGTV. Looking around on Frontline's site, and they are doing a demo tour of the Nissan NV-ENG truck. Plus, several Scripps stations have had new deliveries of Frontline vans. KNXV has the new Nissan NV-ENG truck.

? The decals say Frontline. Doesn't say Eyewitness News, although the truck is the same color as WABC's trucks.

I'm surprised you caught that at all. That was only about a 1 second shot from the helo. I saw it too....but my brain said WABC.

I was kinda hoping the lost van thing panned out.

"Minivan #14 was last seen westbound on the GWB"

Yeah it took several attempts to get the van in view!

I recall KGTV doesn't have too many live trucks, so this makes sense. Thanks once again everyone for solving this mystery!

Yeah it took several attempts to get the van in view!

I recall KGTV doesn't have too many live trucks, so this makes sense. Thanks once again everyone for solving this mystery!

Last time I checked they had 3 trucks units 62 and 63 and the sat/eng combo. I got a shot of one of the old blue ones after it was sold last year. It was stripped of everything but the mast. It was on Robinson and Meade streets.

I will find that pic cuz it's pretty sad and funny.

Unit 5 used to be the North County car with MiniMicro. It's now a Dodge Caravan(?) I see it in NC and at the courthouse often. Pretty sure KGTV has mostly ditched "unit numbers" since most the cars no longer have VHF 2-way radios. Just the the instacams. The KGTV mini-mic's do not have the attached pre-amp/controller like the KFMB Sienna mini units.

I'm sure you have seen the Ch69 Suburau???

Aint it cute???

Well, KSAZ seems to be continuing on its road of occasionally being incredibly offensive. That earned it, specifically Cory McCloskey, a spot in a John Oliver rant:

This is just the cherry on top to me...

Rick D'Amico ran a segment in January that I found offensive. It was during the nightly Had Enough? segment (which had cited InfoWars and the Washington Free Beacon in the past) and discussed the sentence of 1,000 lashes given by Saudi Arabia to blogger Raif Badawi. D'Amico snarkily commented, “Well, at least they don’t wanna behead him”. Yeah, well...they DO behead people. They beheaded 87 in 2014. Badawi almost got the death penalty for apostasy — which a court threw out.

I wrote a letter to the station and to D'Amico at the time. I got no reply. It seems that Had Enough was discontinued in March.

You would be surprised how many people cannot wrap their head around the whole trans thing.

Some people actually think there is a USB port "down there" that makes it all possible.

He might be one of "those" people.

Don't laugh because until the whole Jenner thing was news, not many people had been exposed to the concept.

We now return to your regular scheduled TV/TS/TG program.

Former LA chopper pilot Bob Tur is now Zoey Tur.

Former KNBC Chopper Pilot Dirk Valle is now 'Dana".

The Whirley Girls.

Last time I checked they had 3 trucks units 62 and 63 and the sat/eng combo. I got a shot of one of the old blue ones after it was sold last year. It was stripped of everything but the mast. It was on Robinson and Meade streets.

I will find that pic cuz it's pretty sad and funny.

Unit 5 used to be the North County car with MiniMicro. It's now a Dodge Caravan(?) I see it in NC and at the courthouse often. Pretty sure KGTV has mostly ditched "unit numbers" since most the cars no longer have VHF 2-way radios. Just the the instacams. The KGTV mini-mic's do not have the attached pre-amp/controller like the KFMB Sienna mini units.

I'm sure you have seen the Ch69 Suburau???

Aint it cute???

Didn't know they had a sat truck. That pic sounds interesting, hope you can find it!

Do they have a base up in North County to keep the Dodge Caravan, or it's just assigned for service up there?

Yeah, I've seen Fox 5's cute lil' Subaru driving around, they use it in the mornings as well for the live traffic reports. Speaking of Fox 5, they've been really expanding their fleet over the past year or so. They have all of their trucks very nicely wrapped. As far as I know, they have 1 Sattelite/ENG truck, at least 4 regular ENG trucks, and the lil' Subaru. Now all they need is a helicopter. I'm getting dizzy from Chopper 8's feeds lol.

Didn't know they had a sat truck. That pic sounds interesting, hope you can find it!

Do they have a base up in North County to keep the Dodge Caravan, or it's just assigned for service up there?

Yeah, I've seen Fox 5's cute lil' Subaru driving around, they use it in the mornings as well for the live traffic reports. Speaking of Fox 5, they've been really expanding their fleet over the past year or so. They have all of their trucks very nicely wrapped. As far as I know, they have 1 Sattelite/ENG truck, at least 4 regular ENG trucks, and the lil' Subaru. Now all they need is a helicopter. I'm getting dizzy from Chopper 8's feeds lol.

So the lil Subaru is the one that "Commuter Carl" drives? Do you know when the helicopter sharing agreement ends with all the stations? I can't imagine KNSD and KSWB being too happy with being in a helicopter sharing agreement in which the chopper is down constantly and/or the images/video is unreliable most of the time. I'm no expert in helicopters, but i've always wondered why the LA stations could use their choppers even when it was raining--yet here in SD, if there is some rain, Chopper 8 gets grounded.

So the lil Subaru is the one that "Commuter Carl" drives? Do you know when the helicopter sharing agreement ends with all the stations? I can't imagine KNSD and KSWB being too happy with being in a helicopter sharing agreement in which the chopper is down constantly and/or the images/video is unreliable most of the time. I'm no expert in helicopters, but i've always wondered why the LA stations could use their choppers even when it was raining--yet here in SD, if there is some rain, Chopper 8 gets grounded.

The problem with flying Chopper 8 in bad weather is the ceiling is usually too low to legally and safely fly VFR. (The clouds obscuring the hills and mountains around San Diego.

Yes, they use the Subaru. In fact, it drove past my place here in Del Mar today on live tv this morning haha!

I wish I knew about the sharing agreement, but I hope it's soon. I think it has something to do with insurance or the pilots themselves. I know the LA ENG pilots, and they are the best of the best. Another point, all of the LA helicopters came down here yesterday during that pursuit that ended on the 5 in Del Mar. Chopper 8 was no where to be seen, and all of the SD stations were using LA chopper feeds. Chopper 8 was up and running yesterday, it flew past my place, so I have no idea why they didn't fly yesterday. ...

Yes, they use the Subaru. In fact, it drove past my place here in Del Mar today on live tv this morning haha!

I wish I knew about the sharing agreement, but I hope it's soon. I think it has something to do with insurance or the pilots themselves. I know the LA ENG pilots, and they are the best of the best. Another point, all of the LA helicopters came down here yesterday during that pursuit that ended on the 5 in Del Mar. Chopper 8 was no where to be seen, and all of the SD stations were using LA chopper feeds. Chopper 8 was up and running yesterday, it flew past my place, so I have no idea why they didn't fly yesterday. ...

I noticed that. Pretty embarrassing, to say the least. Although, I wouldn't have sent the crappy Chopper 8 either if I had to follow the more powerful/faster LA choppers. I find it interesting that they've yet to give Chopper 8 and updated paint job with the newer logo. We'll see in due time just how committed NBCU and Tribune are about getting their respective stations in this market, their own chopper [back].

Well, KSAZ seems to be continuing on its road of occasionally being incredibly offensive. That earned it, specifically Cory McCloskey, a spot in a John Oliver rant:

This is just the cherry on top to me...

Rick D'Amico ran a segment in January that I found offensive. It was during the nightly Had Enough? segment (which had cited InfoWars and the Washington Free Beacon in the past) and discussed the sentence of 1,000 lashes given by Saudi Arabia to blogger Raif Badawi. D'Amico snarkily commented, “Well, at least they don’t wanna behead him”. Yeah, well...they DO behead people. They beheaded 87 in 2014. Badawi almost got the death penalty for apostasy — which a court threw out.

I wrote a letter to the station and to D'Amico at the time. I got no reply. It seems that Had Enough was discontinued in March.

KSAZ has been the one station in the group to really embrace Roger Ailes' influence as Chairman of FOX Television Stations. Before 2005, FOX 10 really tried to report without any political slant.

More folks are In & Out:

Christine Haas has left FOX 7 in Austin to start her own business.

http://www.adweek.com/tvspy/austin-anchor-left-station-to-start-new-business/151233

Over in Cleveland at CBS19/ Danielle Serino is out and the news director is slashing high paid talent. IMO Ramona Robinson should of stayed at WKYC.

http://www.ftvlive.com/todays-news/2015/7/1/more-changes-at-cleveland-station

In Philly; Ukee Washington will move up to 5,6,10,11pm news with Jessica Dean. It starts July 13, and Carol Erickson was offered a new contract, but left on her own.

http://www.adweek.com/tvspy/carol-erickson-leaves-kyw/151244

The problem with flying Chopper 8 in bad weather is the ceiling is usually too low to legally and safely fly VFR. (The clouds obscuring the hills and mountains around San Diego.

The problem is lame pilots, and a desk(KFMB) that's too afraid to call them on it.

Case in point...

On Memorial Day of this year Chopper 8 was scheduled to fly the regular beach shots, traffic etc. The airship launched right around 3pm from Gillespie.

Right about that time word came in that the elderly couple that had been missing for 2 weeks was found.

The ship was asked to divert to Chihuahua Valley....over the mountains....thru the pass to hiway 79.

The pilot refused to divert because he had not checked the WX in that area before launch.

Fine, the pilot has the last call.

However the conditions were 100%. Crystal clear all over Socal. Light winds 10-15mph.

The Pilot could have easy radioed Flight Service or asked the desk to call FSS for the currents. The pilot could have landed and looked at the currents himself.

Remember...

The airship, pilot and reporter are all employed by Westwwod One/Clearchannel or whoever owns that old piece of junk now.

The pilots won't fly if there are clouds, rain, wind over 5mph.

They never learned how to fly around small clouds.

They NEVER have enough gas for anything. They have NO gas cards. They can only fuel at Gillespie for some strange reason.

They can't follow a car chase live anywhere north of Temecula or San Clemente, because the reporter cannot figure out how to enter LA ENG receive sites into the transmitter so we they can fiber back the signal., or use the LA switch video feed.

They also have no Idea how to reverse route the signal from LA to SD back at KFMB, or they know....but just don't want to.

Very simple procedure for this, you just have to rehearse it.

At the end of the day.....

All the stations ended up paying a stringer $85 each for crappy old ground video.

All during the May ratings period, KFMB could have "owned that story".

If you're looking for news in Spanish in the Rio Grande Valley, there's a new option starting today as KRGV begins SAP translation of its newscasts.

Why don't more stations in the southwestern United States do this...?

I'm surprised this station is doing it, or rather this size market. There's 2 ESP newsrooms (including a Telemundo O&O) in the market already, plus what is beamed across the border.

The only other station I know of that does this regularly is KRIV-Houston, but only for the 9pm weekdays newscasts.

The problem is lame pilots, and a desk(KFMB) that's too afraid to call them on it.

Case in point...

On Memorial Day of this year Chopper 8 was scheduled to fly the regular beach shots, traffic etc. The airship launched right around 3pm from Gillespie.

Right about that time word came in that the elderly couple that had been missing for 2 weeks was found.

The ship was asked to divert to Chihuahua Valley....over the mountains....thru the pass to hiway 79.

The pilot refused to divert because he had not checked the WX in that area before launch.

Fine, the pilot has the last call.

However the conditions were 100%. Crystal clear all over Socal. Light winds 10-15mph.

The Pilot could have easy radioed Flight Service or asked the desk to call FSS for the currents. The pilot could have landed and looked at the currents himself.

Remember...

The airship, pilot and reporter are all employed by Westwwod One/Clearchannel or whoever owns that old piece of junk now.

The pilots won't fly if there are clouds, rain, wind over 5mph.

They never learned how to fly around small clouds.

They NEVER have enough gas for anything. They have NO gas cards. They can only fuel at Gillespie for some strange reason.

They can't follow a car chase live anywhere north of Temecula or San Clemente, because the reporter cannot figure out how to enter LA ENG receive sites into the transmitter so we they can fiber back the signal., or use the LA switch video feed.

They also have no Idea how to reverse route the signal from LA to SD back at KFMB, or they know....but just don't want to.

Very simple procedure for this, you just have to rehearse it.

At the end of the day.....

All the stations ended up paying a stringer $85 each for crappy old ground video.

All during the May ratings period, KFMB could have "owned that story".

So how much Total Traffic charging each station for the shared chopper? They should get their money back--subpar service, unreliable and expensive (i'm assuming). Welk Aviation should open up a shop here, since they do a pretty good job in LA. But the biggest issue (or one of the biggest issues) is that KFMB is getting lazy with covering news. Hardly any exclusive stories and if there is breaking news, they rely heavily on the chopper (if available). Overnights...forget about it, KGTV does donuts around them with the Breaking News Tracker. They're getting too comfy(lazy) with being No.1, but they all end up falling off when they fall asleep at the wheel...

KGTV does donuts around them with the Breaking News Tracker. They're getting too comfy(lazy) with being No.1, but they all end up falling off when they fall asleep at the wheel...

The breaking News Tracker is a giant liability and will probably end in a wrongful death lawsuit when the Idiot photographer gets killed or causes a major freeway crash.

The stations all get the same overnight stuff, dui crashes, terminated pursuits, and dumpster fires. KGTV has the BNT and overnight stringers to pick from. The Idea is to fill the 2 morning live shots with whatever lame shooting happened overnight.

KGTV lies and says some overnight video is from the Breaking News Wacker, in reality it's the same stringer video that all stations can buy. A few years back the stringers didn't cover all the stupid crashes, and got paid more for video that had"legs". Now there are so many stringers shooting crap, anything can get on the air, and one stringer sells everything he shot overnight for $85. So KGTV ,KUSI,KNSD and KTTY get 3 crappy clips for $85.

KFMB fields an overnight shooter, and unless the story has "legs" KFMB won't buy the crappy overnight stuff in most cases.

I'm pretty sure the chopper8 contract is yearly or bi-yearly. If one station pulls out, then others pay more.

Anytime the ship launches the "switch is flipped" on for everyone.

The KFMB desk maintains 2 way contact, and the traffic services(or used to) have separate channels of contact for the actual traffic info.

Subscribing station have NO input where chopper 8 goes. Chopper 8 often launches about 3pm each day to grab b-roll for various KFMB stories, but the other stations don't seem to pay attention to what is shot because KFMB often shoots "exclusive" HFR(Hold For release) stuff right under their noses.

If the chopper 8 agreement was terminated you can bet nobody would fill the void. All the LA providers have pitched the SD stations, nobody has any money for anything better.

I got a news alert from WTVJ saying the GE Building is officially renamed the Comcast Building. I doubt many people will actually call it Comcast Building.

yes we new yorkers never have called buildings, bridges and tunnels by their new names, we refer to it by the old names

yes we new yorkers never have called buildings, bridges and tunnels by their new names, we refer to it by the old names

That's the RCA building...as real New Yorkers know.

G.E. Smith was the band leader for SNL in the 90's...

Why would they name the building after him???

Over in Cleveland at CBS19/ Danielle Serino is out and the news director is slashing high paid talent. IMO Ramona Robinson should of stayed at WKYC.

http://www.ftvlive.com/todays-news/2015/7/1/more-changes-at-cleveland-station

If your name is not Denise Dufala or Romona Robinson, you're pretty much in danger of getting fired. I wouldn't be surprised if David Wittman, Tiffani Tucker, or even Catherine Bosley is shown the door at Reserve Square.

If your name is not Denise Dufala or Romona Robinson, you're pretty much in danger of getting fired. I wouldn't be surprised if David Wittman, Tiffani Tucker, or even Catherine Bosley is shown the door at Reserve Square.

I think Catherine will be shown the door, but happy she was able to get a job after working at WKBN. I hope Romona/David/Denise are 5,6,11pm and Tiffani and David at 4/10pm...Why would they get rid of Tiffani? I assume she not the on the same paid grade as the two ladies and David.

• rkolsen pinned, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • rkolsen locked this topic
  • rkolsen unlocked and pinned this topic