Out & About

TexasTVNews

Hope the good folks in San Diego are making good money to be a reporter, anchor etc. With (6) shops in that market. Are the anchors making the huge salaries? Also what the average reporter making in San Diego? Who knows maybe the anchors and reporters have spouses bringing home better income.

Some of the bigger named anchors in the market during the 90s- early 00s were making pretty good money. Quite a few made at least $250k/year, there were a few $500k/year anchors as well. They're gone now, replaced by much cheaper talent. I'd be surprised if there was still an anchor here in San Diego that is making $250k. This market is pretty interesting in that it has quite a few number of veteran talent, mixed in with an equal amount of younger talent. If I had to guess, a less experienced reporter will probably be making between $35-45k/year.

Hope the good folks in San Diego are making good money to be a reporter, anchor etc. With (6) shops in that market. Are the anchors making the huge salaries? Also what the average reporter making in San Diego? Who knows maybe the anchors and reporters have spouses bringing home better income.

It's certainly a competitive news market. That's six shops in English alone. Not to mention several more in Spanish.

There are a lot of tv news operations here...but none are competitive anymore.

Lazy reporting is everywhere. "Enterprise " reporting consists of emails and calls from viewers about problems with neighbors. Missing dogs eaten by coyotes, and sharks in the sewers looking for water in the drought.

They are trying to beat the internet, and every video is "viral".

In the old days they stole the stories from the morning paper. Now they read snopes and play "Fact or Fiction" with us.

Except for a small handful of reporters...most are "repeaters" and not reporters.

There are really only 2 jobs in tv now.

The people that go in the field and tape interviews and shoot b-roll.

Then there are those back at the station that move the words and videos around to the various platforms.

That's pretty much it.

Most stations do not demand you know much about politics, criminal justice, municipal operations or just basic human behavior.

Bless those cute little souls....but they are facebook robots.

Some of the bigger named anchors in the market during the 90s- early 00s were making pretty good money. Quite a few made at least $250k/year, there were a few $500k/year anchors as well. They're gone now, replaced by much cheaper talent. I'd be surprised if there was still an anchor here in San Diego that is making $250k. This market is pretty interesting in that it has quite a few number of veteran talent, mixed in with an equal amount of younger talent. If I had to guess, a less experienced reporter will probably be making between $35-45k/year.

It's certainly a competitive news market. That's six shops in English alone. Not to mention several more in Spanish.

Was there ever million dollar anchors in San Diego? With LA not far and San Fran several hours away. We always hear about those million dollar anchors back in the day.

I wonder if San Diego ever had those, and with (6) English shops sorry for not counting the Spanish shops in the market, but somebody did say that one day Phoenix wasn't going to have the (5) shops, and it was bound to have a duopoly and I didn't believe them, but we see 3/5 merging. Does anybody believe San Diego would see that coming down the pike for them? 6&51 KUSI merging together? Anybody see that down the road? Can that market support the (6) English shops?

There are a lot of tv news operations here...but none are competitive anymore.

Lazy reporting is everywhere. "Enterprise " reporting consists of emails and calls from viewers about problems with neighbors. Missing dogs eaten by coyotes, and sharks in the sewers looking for water in the drought.

They are trying to beat the internet, and every video is "viral".

In the old days they stole the stories from the morning paper. Now they read snopes and play "Fact or Fiction" with us.

Except for a small handful of reporters...most are "repeaters" and not reporters.

There are really only 2 jobs in tv now.

The people that go in the field and tape interviews and shoot b-roll.

Then there are those back at the station that move the words and videos around to the various platforms.

That's pretty much it.

Most stations do not demand you know much about politics, criminal justice, municipal operations or just basic human behavior.

Bless those cute little souls....but they are facebook robots.

Love your post, so true to form.

6&51 KUSI merging together? Anybody see that down the road? Can that market support the (6) English shops?

XETV isn't going to be merging with anyone on the U.S. side of the border, and it will be a cold day in hell before McKinnon does anything with a Mexican company. I feel like if Televisa was ever going to pull the plug on XETV's news operation, they would have done it by now. They're essentially running two stations with XETV these days (6.2 carries Canal 5 programming for the Tijuana market now), so that might be keeping the whole operation in the black.

XETV isn't going to be merging with anyone on the U.S. side of the border, and it will be a cold day in hell before McKinnon does anything with a Mexican company. I feel like if Televisa was ever going to pull the plug on XETV's news operation, they would have done it by now. They're essentially running two stations with XETV these days (6.2 carries Canal 5 programming for the Tijuana market now), so that might be keeping the whole operation in the black.

If anything, given all the change in the Mexican media market, their "preponderant economic agent" status, etc., the US is a nice insurance policy for them. XETV probably does decently even without Fox. And they make north of $300 million a year on royalties from Univisión.

Was there ever million dollar anchors in San Diego? With LA not far and San Fran several hours away. We always hear about those million dollar anchors back in the day.

I wonder if San Diego ever had those, and with (6) English shops sorry for not counting the Spanish shops in the market, but somebody did say that one day Phoenix wasn't going to have the (5) shops, and it was bound to have a duopoly and I didn't believe them, but we see 3/5 merging. Does anybody believe San Diego would see that coming down the pike for them? 6&51 KUSI merging together? Anybody see that down the road? Can that market support the (6) English shops?

Love your post, so true to form.

Million dollar anchor? Not that I know of. Several of the $250- $500k anchors that I know of were: Michael Tuck, Denise Yamada, Stan Miller, Hal Clement, Carol Lebeau, Marty Levin, Loren Nancarrow. I'm sure i'm missing a few, but all those listed above have either retired, forced out, or passed away.

No mergers are on the horizon, AFAIK. It's stems from the fact that there simply isn't a fit for a merger in this market. As mentioned above, McKinnon has refused to sell KUSI. There was even an article a few months back on TVNewscheck, with the owner/GM of the station and he basically said that he is constantly getting offers to buy the station but has no intentions to sell. There was even a rumor quite a few years back that KFMB's owners had approached the McKinnon's to buy KUSI and nothing came of it.

XETV runs a pretty lean operation, so that's the reason why they didn't close the place down after they lost the FOX affiliation. By the way the station is run, you wouldn't know that they were owned by one of the biggest media conglomerates in the world.

No mergers are on the horizon, AFAIK. It's stems from the fact that there simply isn't a fit for a merger in this market. As mentioned above, McKinnon has refused to sell KUSI. There was even an article a few months back on TVNewscheck, with the owner/GM of the station and he basically said that he is constantly getting offers to buy the station but has no intentions to sell. There was even a rumor quite a few years back that KFMB's owners had approached the McKinnon's to buy KUSI and nothing came of it.

In addition to that, since most of the full-power stations in San Diego are on the Baja California side (including two English stations, XETV and MyNetworkTV affiliate XHDTV-TDT), duopolies are a legal quagmire since there are only six FPTVs on the U.S. side of the market and you need at least eight within an American market to form a legal duopoly. I think the only way you could merge stations, and effectively news operations, in SD is through an LMA.

Million dollar anchor? Not that I know of. Several of the $250- $500k anchors that I know of were: Michael Tuck, Denise Yamada, Stan Miller, Hal Clement, Carol Lebeau, Marty Levin, Loren Nancarrow. I'm sure i'm missing a few, but all those listed above have either retired, forced out, or passed away.

XETV runs a pretty lean operation, so that's the reason why they didn't close the place down after they lost the FOX affiliation. By the way the station is run, you wouldn't know that they were owned by one of the biggest media conglomerates in the world.

Very Interesting to hear this, so KFMB is locally owned, and I thought after XETV lost their FOX affiliation they would go dark. For me my biggest issues is NBC7 where they would say 7/39 and I know the locals there know it Channel 39 on cable 7. Then you have FOX 5 which is on Channel 69. I guess with digital environment where in now it doesn't matter.

Also Why did the McKinnons sell their others stations? I assume KUSI is a cash cow, but there been reports that none of those on-air talent are paid what they should be. Any truth to that? Wasn't KUSI looking to be FOX at one time. San Diego is very interesting market like Phoenix/San Fran with all network switches etc.

Very Interesting to hear this, so KFMB is locally owned, and I thought after XETV lost their FOX affiliation they would go dark. For me my biggest issues is NBC7 where they would say 7/39 and I know the locals there know it Channel 39 on cable 7. Then you have FOX 5 which is on Channel 69. I guess with digital environment where in now it doesn't matter.

Also Why did the McKinnons sell their others stations? I assume KUSI is a cash cow, but there been reports that none of those on-air talent are paid what they should be. Any truth to that? Wasn't KUSI looking to be FOX at one time. San Diego is very interesting market like Phoenix/San Fran with all network switches etc.

Yup, KFMB is locally owned by Elizabeth Kimmel. I guess you could say that KUSI is locally owned as well since the owners of the station do live here (which is probably why they sold their Texas cluster). I don't think that KUSI is in the top 3 or 4 in revenue in this market, but they don't have to be, because everything the rake in stays with them.

KUSI and their owners have always been very cheap. So if their talent are not paid what they should be, then it's not surprising. You can tell how they run the operation just by simply looking at their set- 20 years and still as crappy looking as ever, even more so with the modifications they've had to make replace burnt out lights, tv's, etc.

KNSD has been trying to ditch the 7/39 moniker for yearssssssss. I think as far back as 2001 when they moved downtown. For one reason or the other, it never came to fruition until they made the switch to HD. Very few people (mostly the older folks) still refer to is as 39, otherwise most just refer to it as NBC. Plus, cable penetration is very high in this market, so people are more likely to find the station on channel 7 anyways.

XETV would never have gone dark, it simply would have become a Canal 5 repeater — which they did use XETV analog for briefly after 2009, and then in digital as a subchannel.

There's kind of an embarrassment of riches for Spanish speakers when it comes to TV down there. It's worth noting that of all the Mexican border cities, only Tijuana has a transmitter of a public station (that would be XHTJB/Canal Once). Then factor in the size of the market, the American/Mexican duplication...

KUSI and their owners have always been very cheap. So if their talent are not paid what they should be, then it's not surprising. You can tell how they run the operation just by simply looking at their set- 20 years and still as crappy looking as ever, even more so with the modifications they've had to make replace burnt out lights, tv's, etc.

Over the last few years KUSI has become one of the better shops in town. Most of the other stations have "sunk" below what KUSI used to be. KUSI has new live trucks, gear is being replaced, they picked up a few back pack live units.

The set may be old, but KUSI has one major thing going for them. They cover politics and local civil issues better than the others.

KUSI has not abandon older or legacy viewers.

If you walk in the KUSI newsroom around show time, there is a smell of Old Spice in the air.

If you listen carefully, you can hear the young female producers and reporters say.....

"This place smells like my Grandpa's TV room".

^ It would look so much better, in my opinion, if it was exclusively the NBC peacock up there.

Definitely agreed -- the Comcrap part can stay in Philadelphia. Now that the Peacock is officially up top, I kinda wonder why that wasn't done sooner.

I've noticed a new live truck driving around San Diego lately. It's a Nissan NV-HR truck, painted all black. It also has Frontline Communications decals on the sides of the truck. When I first saw it a few weeks ago, it didn't have these decals. Yesterday, it was at a breaking news situation, and I saw it parked there from Chopper 8 with the Frontline decals. Anybody know what station it belongs to? Did that station break a deal with Frontline to keep their decals on there?

In addition to that, since most of the full-power stations in San Diego are on the Baja California side (including two English stations, XETV and MyNetworkTV affiliate XHDTV-TDT), duopolies are a legal quagmire since there are only six FPTVs on the U.S. side of the market and you need at least eight within an American market to form a legal duopoly. I think the only way you could merge stations, and effectively news operations, in SD is through an LMA.

The FCC actually does count foreign stations for ownership rule purposes if Nielsen lists any as being in the market. For instance, Scripps was allowed to buy WMYD to form a duopoly with with WXYZ because the CBC's CBET was listed as being in the Detroit market and provided the 8th station that Scripps needed to form a duopoly.

I've noticed a new live truck driving around San Diego lately. It's a Nissan NV-HR truck, painted all black. It also has Frontline Communications decals on the sides of the truck. When I first saw it a few weeks ago, it didn't have these decals. Yesterday, it was at a breaking news situation, and I saw it parked there from Chopper 8 with the Frontline decals. Anybody know what station it belongs to? Did that station break a deal with Frontline to keep their decals on there?

A test unit, perhaps? I don't think KFMB has any Frontline Comm. trucks. It could be KNSD or KGTV. KNSD really needs a few new trucks.

The FCC actually does count foreign stations for ownership rule purposes if Nielsen lists any as being in the market. For instance, Scripps was allowed to buy WMYD to form a duopoly with with WXYZ because the CBC's CBET was listed as being in the Detroit market and provided the 8th station that Scripps needed to form a duopoly.

So there has to be 8 TV stations in a market to form a duopoly without upsetting the competitive balance under the rules?

A test unit, perhaps? I don't think KFMB has any Frontline Comm. trucks. It could be KNSD or KGTV. KNSD really needs a few new trucks.

Here's a pic I got of the unit, from yesterday. Sorry for the bad quality.

[ATTACH]1545.IPB[/ATTACH]

20150629_110939.jpg.64dd267c5824e381faebb7c52dab4f09.jpg

And Sinclair, in its application to combine KFOX and KDBC, counted Televisa Juárez in the market. Oddly enough they could have also counted Azteca (two stations) and XHIJ, but they didn't.

Well somebody better cut a check to CBS for the use of "Eyewitness News".

Could it be a WABC truck got lost?

• rkolsen pinned, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • rkolsen locked this topic
  • rkolsen unlocked and pinned this topic