Out & About

TexasTVNews

Class move indeed by KOCO...people sometimes tend to forget that people who work at these different stations have forged relationships amongst each other over time, and what happens to one can always affect others.

Apparently, it wasn't just KOCO that lent a helping hand to KFOR to allow staff to attend the memorial service. It was mentioned on KFOR/KAUT's evening newscasts Friday that KOKH, KWTV and even OETA lent some support as well. Illustrating that the so-termed "Oklahoma Standard" (the I-want-to-help-out-no-repayment-necessary mentality that Oklahomans are known for) extends deeper than just with regular citizens.

KFOR also devoted its entire 10:00 p.m. newscast on Friday to Barry, with the closing segment -- aired in part of the usual "Friday Sports Overtime" slot -- with the station's three remaining sports anchors (Brian Brinkley, Nate Feken and Dylan Buckingham) recalling their memories of BBJ. The special newscast also featured an edited version of the video package shown at the end of the memorial service during the KFOR.com live stream (the website features the service in its entirety), which included bloopers from his years at Channel 4 (the full package also includes some KFOR sports promos from the early 1990s to recent and one from his one-year stint as sports director at KAUT in 1980-81).

Apparently, it wasn't just KOCO that lent a helping hand to KFOR to allow staff to attend the memorial service. It was mentioned on KFOR/KAUT's evening newscasts Friday that KOKH, KWTV and even OETA lent some support as well. Illustrating that the so-termed "Oklahoma Standard" (the I-want-to-help-out-no-repayment-necessary mentality that Oklahomans are known for) extends deeper than just with regular citizens.

KFOR also devoted its entire 10:00 p.m. newscast on Friday to Barry, with the closing segment -- aired in part of the usual "Friday Sports Overtime" slot -- with the station's three remaining sports anchors (Brian Brinkley, Nate Feken and Dylan Buckingham) recalling their memories of BBJ. The special newscast also featured an edited version of the video package shown at the end of the memorial service during the KFOR.com live stream (the website features the service in its entirety), which included bloopers from his years at Channel 4 (the full package also includes some KFOR sports promos from the early 1990s to recent and one from his one-year stint as sports director at KAUT in 1980-81).

I went through some of the stuff on their site. Didn't know that KAUT ever had a news operation in the 80s. There's also KFOR "News Team 4" stuff from the early 90s, which is incredibly hard to find for some reason.

Instead of bumping an old thread I thought I would post this here. It appears the Comcast/Peacock sign on 30 Rock is now up. I haven't seen any mention on the national newscasts so I guess that it's not completely up and running. I think it looks pretty good.

https://twitter.com/anthonyquintano/status/610081006310309888

I went through some of the stuff on their site. Didn't know that KAUT ever had a news operation in the 80s. There's also KFOR "News Team 4" stuff from the early 90s, which is incredibly hard to find for some reason.

KAUT's "Newswatch 43" operation began when the station signed on in September 1980. From what I've found out, it aired during the daytime only (originally from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., then reduced to 9:00 to 7:00, when it scaled back the hours it broadcast the VEU subscription service; Golden West Broadcasters owned KAUT and VEU, as well as KTLA, which became its sister station again when Tribune bought KAUT and KFOR two years ago). It lasted until around the fall of 1981.

I actually have a tape from 1992 (shortly before NBC aired that year's Olympics) that includes promos and a news update (from when KFOR aired hourly updates outside of full newscasts on a regular basis) from the "NewsTeam 4" era, although it doesn't have a newscast on it (mainly portions of a couple of NBC "Movies of the Week" including commercials). The theme used in the promo in the video package was a cut from what I guess was a custom theme used by the station from '90 to '94 (which is not listed in the NMSA).

Really, a lot of 1990s clips from Oklahoma City newscasts (outside of Oklahoma City bombing and May 3, 1999 tornado outbreak coverage) are hard to find. Particularly, much of any newscast clips from KWTV during the decade or KOKH from when its news department started in 1996 until 2000, as well as early '90s news footage from KFOR (including that from around the time of the transition to the "NewsChannel 4" brand in '93/'94).

And we all know liberals hate Fox because they hate foxes... Kappa

Getting back to talent moves, KPHO added some weekend talent. Ashley DeMartino (last in Seattle) is doing weather, while Lena de Florias (an ASU grad) will join Adam Longo on the anchor desk.

Surprised to see a two-anchor weekend newscast setup. KSAZ's had one for a long time, which is still unusual in this day and age (then again they have more of a news load).

And we all know liberals hate Fox because they hate foxes... Kappa

Getting back to talent moves, KPHO added some weekend talent. Ashley DeMartino (last in Seattle) is doing weather, while Lena de Florias (an ASU grad) will join Adam Longo on the anchor desk.

Surprised to see a two-anchor weekend newscast setup. KSAZ's had one for a long time, which is still unusual in this day and age (then again they have more of a news load).

Demartino was at KGTV San Diego doing wknd wx and some reporting.. She was very likable here and pretty versatile. She sailed through a few breaking live shots. Too bad she left SD.

Demartino was at KGTV San Diego doing wknd wx and some reporting.. She was very likable here and pretty versatile. She sailed through a few breaking live shots. Too bad she left SD.

Darn, I thought it was Seattle... I knew she had just left whatever station she had left...

Not sure on where de Florias was prior to KPHO.

Ashlee is an ASU grad and also was a cheerleader for the Cardinals and has family in Arizona. I think she was smart to depart KGTV and Scripps.

de Florias was the evening anchor at WEAR 3 in Pensacola.

Is she going by de Florias in Phoenix? In Pensacola she was "Lena DeFlores".

EDIT: Her WEAR Facebook page is still active....and was last updated in 2013. She became an evening anchor soon after until her departure...

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Lena-DeFlores/130901883699365

Guest Former Member 207

Next, your going to have someone post on KDKA's Facebook page sayinf that they support the Illuminati because of the CBS eye.

Buffoonery at its finest...smfh

Ashlee is an ASU grad and also was a cheerleader for the Cardinals and has family in Arizona. I think she was smart to depart KGTV and Scripps.

You are right.

San Diego has used Phoenix as a feeder market, but in reality SD sucks for most these Zonies. Plenty arrive from Phoenix, just to turn back around and flee the high cost of living.

Marisa Mendelson, who became a reporter at KVOA in Tucson in March 2014, was let go from the station earlier this month (on June 10). Mendelson claims that her dismissal was the result of her using Periscope, an app she states other KVOA reporters have used without being told not to.

http://www.adweek.com/tvspy/reporter-says-she-was-fired-for-live-streaming/150992

^ It would look so much better, in my opinion, if it was exclusively the NBC peacock up there.

Additionally, this happened. Pretty hilarious. http://www.newscaststudio.com/2015/06/27/view-mistakes-nbc-peacock-for-gay-pride-avatar/

So basically he admitted himself to be an uneducated bigot without trying hard. Anyway....

You are right.

San Diego has used Phoenix as a feeder market, but in reality SD sucks for most these Zonies. Plenty arrive from Phoenix, just to turn back around and flee the high cost of living.

Interesting that you brought up SD's high cost of living. It reminded me about reading an article concerning former DC Radio DJ Jack Diamond who was fired from DC's Hot AC station, later moved to SD. Facing issues out west including the cost of living and cost of enrolling their children to school, A veteran who may have probably been financially well off to live in SD admitted it was too much for him even. He auditioned for a spot at WLS-FM Chicago before bolting out to SD then returning to DC and now back in Chi-town and permanently at WLS-FM. I probably shouldn't brand the city as a whole, but how high is the cost of living in SD for anyone with a bit of knowledge can answer?

Interesting that you brought up SD's high cost of living. It reminded me about reading an article concerning former DC Radio DJ Jack Diamond who was fired from DC's Hot AC station, later moved to SD. Facing issues out west including the cost of living and cost of enrolling their children to school, A veteran who may have probably been financially well off to live in SD admitted it was too much for him even. He auditioned for a spot at WLS-FM Chicago before bolting out to SD then returning to DC and now back in Chi-town and permanently at WLS-FM. I probably shouldn't brand the city as a whole, but how high is the cost of living in SD for anyone with a bit of knowledge can answer?

This gives a pretty good outlook of cost of living in and around San Diego

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/city_result.jsp?country=United+States&city=San+Diego%2C+CA

This gives a pretty good outlook of cost of living in and around San Diego

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/city_result.jsp?country=United+States&city=San+Diego%2C+CA

Hope the good folks in San Diego are making good money to be a reporter, anchor etc. With (6) shops in that market. Are the anchors making the huge salaries? Also what the average reporter making in San Diego? Who knows maybe the anchors and reporters have spouses bringing home better income.

• rkolsen pinned, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • rkolsen locked this topic
  • rkolsen unlocked and pinned this topic