Out & About

TexasTVNews

Tanchak isn't the only one out the door, George Smith is also going bye-bye. What the hell's goin' on over at 19?

http://www.ftvlive.com/todays-news/2015/6/2/changes-going-down-at-woio

What's really surprising to me is the supposed re-brand to "Cleveland 19 News" from "Action News." Are they trying to tone it down perhaps?

What's really surprising to me is the supposed re-brand to "Cleveland 19 News" from "Action News." Are they trying to tone it down perhaps?

It's been heading that way ever since the departure of Sharon Reed, the return of Romona Robinson, and most importantly, the retirement of Bill Applegate. The departure of Tanchak only furthers this since he was one of the more boisterous personalities to come aboard.

I have to wonder what card Raycom has up their sleeve, because their initial effort, "Hometeam 19/43 News" using the Raycom template was a complete flop that was only made worse when the Indians pulled their games from WUAB in 2001, which was a major blow which they've really never recovered from.

Now if they take the WBTV approach, then they may have something. Its a slick package that blows their current abomination out of the water.

I know this is way off, but would you picture WOIO/WUAB a CBS O&O station?

If they ever would have become one, it would have happened years ago. CBS still maintains several radio stations in Cleveland after selling off other markets.

Now if the Cleveland Browns were a halfway decent team, CBS would have jumped on them like FOX has done (Charlotte and San Francisco) and tried to do (Seattle) in their NFC markets.

Eric Land has been named General Manager of Sinclair's Birmingham stations, succeeding former WBMA GM Mike Murphy who left for KMOV in St. Louis.

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/mobile/index/article/id/85805

It should be noted that Land was the General Manager hired by Media General to hit the reset button at WBMG and rebrand the station as WIAT and "42 Daily News".

I doubt that the Sinclair stations in Birmingham would be subjected to such a fate...

Today the 5PM newscast on WBAL was anchored by Donna Hamilton and Deborah Weiner. They didn't make any mention of a Stan Stovall being out but when they previewed the 6PM newscast Stan Stovall was in the newsroom.

I wonder if they are trying out anchor combinations with Donna right now.

It looks like the management at NBC 7 San Diego decided not to continue their payment to WeatherRate and have lost the "Most Accurate Forecast" banner. KGTV ABC-10 is now boasting that they are the most accurate forecast in San Diego with a number of promos.

Seriously???

After reading how this WeathRate works, all I have to say is "news consumer beware"!

I wonder if I can rate the local newscast with MY seal of approval with the same ruse.

It looks like the management at NBC 7 San Diego decided not to continue their payment to WeatherRate and have lost the "Most Accurate Forecast" banner. KGTV ABC-10 is now boasting that they are the most accurate forecast in San Diego with a number of promos.

More likely is that Scripps decided it finally wanted to do it for KGTV.

More likely is that Scripps decided it finally wanted to do it for KGTV.

The timing is too coincidental. Seems a bit suspicious that they would all of a sudden promote the Weatherate seal and the "San Diego's Most Accurate forecast" crap in the days before their lead weather anchor was canned.

Seriously???

After reading how this WeathRate works, all I have to say is "news consumer beware"!

I wonder if I can rate the local newscast with MY seal of approval with the same ruse.

The timing is too coincidental. Seems a bit suspicious that they would all of a sudden promote the Weatherate seal and the "San Diego's Most Accurate forecast" crap in the days before their lead weather anchor was canned.

You want to know what's even more fascinating the word WeatheRate name is not trademarked, copyrighted nor does the name get any hits on the US patent office (their technique is supposedly patented). Maybe there are other things that could protect this company's name but if not the stations are paying for a word that they could use with out shelling out $.

Seriously???

I don't know about other markets, but in Kansas City I know that after KCTV won it from KSHB a few years ago, and for two years in a row at that, the two stations have actively "competed" to have the most accurate forecast at the end of the rating period.

Tinfoil gold stars are a lot cheaper than talent.

Traditionaly in SD the WX folks were local celebs or radio people. Wx people in SD don't need fancy seals because there is no weather here.

The forecasters all use NWS / Nexrad San Diego Radar. Adding to things, it's really impossible to forecast outside of 48 hours due to the ocean influence.

I will miss Pat and Ashlee"D".

I don't know about other markets, but in Kansas City I know that after KCTV won it from KSHB a few years ago, and for two years in a row at that, the two stations have actively "competed" to have the most accurate forecast at the end of the rating period.

In reading from the website, it looks like they use a top secret method to "rate" the stations. When a station wins...they have to pay to say they "won". There is no second place.

I think I will become WeatherRight.com and exploit all the 2nd and 3rd place stations.

if you are a MYTV or CW station I will sell you a purple "best of show" ribbon.

He (as in Bruce Fixman, founder of WeatheRate) does indeed have a patent:

https://www.google.com/patents/US7107152

The patent seems to describe a system that uses Microsoft Excel to compare weather data from the stations with actual data from the NWS for a 30-day period.

WeatheRate scores each day based on...

-The absolute value between the predicted high and low and the actual high and low

-The weather conditions observed

-"Additional weather" (not sure what that means)

Then it's averaged, compared across stations, etc. There seems to be some actual methodology but the part of the business model where the winners have to pay is a racket.

The forecasters all use NWS / Nexrad San Diego Radar. Adding to things, it's really impossible to forecast outside of 48 hours due to the ocean influence.

The stations use a variety of weather software systems which use the data available from the NWS and in some cases other reporting stations can also be used. They all do about the same thing, just how the graphics work seems to be the big difference.

What I find ridiculous is the NWS radar systems were all updated to DIGITAL Doppler, yet they continue to show radar "sweeps". Sweeps were part of the old analog systems and don't exist today. Even better is the "5 sweeps" using radar returns from Yuma, San Bernadino, Los Angeles and others that are beyond or at the limits for decent radar images (about 120 miles not including the mountains that block the signal). Yet you can watch "certified meteorologists" continue to use these graphics every day. (Guess it is supposed to make the viewers more comfortable that the information is accurate).

Well that was fast...and...convenient. Massive changes are happening at KSHB.

Mike Marusarz, who just joined KSHB as the new primary male anchor for their 5, 6 and 10pm newscasts just last month, has a new co-anchor at 5 and 6pm...his wife.

Rhiannon Ally, who used to work at KCTV before she too moved away with Mike, will now anchor the 5 and 6pm newscasts with her husband. She replaces Jadiann Thompson, who anchored the 6pm. Thompson left the station last week for WHDH in Boston. However, the real surprise is that she's replacing Christa Dubill at 5pm.

Christa Dubill appears to have gotten a demotion and now co-anchor The NOW KC at 4pm with Justin Wilfon. Christa Dubill is arguably one of the most annoying, sometimes self-centered, anchors in Kansas City, and has had moments where she's been rude to her co-workers on air.

http://www.kshb.com/about-us/41-action-news-welcomes-rhiannon-ally-she-joins-husband-mike-marusarz-on-the-anchor-desk

Well that was fast...and...convenient. Massive changes are happening at KSHB.

Mike Marusarz, who just joined KSHB as the new primary male anchor for their 5, 6 and 10pm newscasts just last month, has a new co-anchor at 5 and 6pm...his wife.

Rhiannon Ally, who used to work at KCTV before she too moved away with Mike, will now anchor the 5 and 6pm newscasts with her husband. She replaces Jadiann Thompson, who anchored the 6pm. Thompson left the station last week for WHDH in Boston. However, the real surprise is that she's replacing Christa Dubill at 5pm.

Christa Dubill appears to have gotten a demotion and now co-anchor The NOW KC at 4pm with Justin Wilfon. Christa Dubill is arguably one of the most annoying, sometimes self-centered, anchors in Kansas City, and has had moments where she's been rude to her co-workers on air.

http://www.kshb.com/about-us/41-action-news-welcomes-rhiannon-ally-she-joins-husband-mike-marusarz-on-the-anchor-desk

This makes me really uncomfortable for some reason... Also I would like to see them mix up the 3 (Mike, Rhiannon, Christa) or at least see christa on the 10pm broadcast.

This makes me really uncomfortable for some reason... Also I would like to see them mix up the 3 (Mike, Rhiannon, Christa) or at least see christa on the 10pm broadcast.

I think Christa will still be anchoring the 10pm as their presser says that Ally will "initially be anchoring the 5 and 6pm." That would imply that Dubill will now be on the 4 and 10.

I have sad news to report tonight: WTVR anchor Stephanie Rochon is now gravely ill from her battle with cancer. She's been undergoing treatment for cancer for more than eight months. Since Rochon's absence, Candace Burns has been filling in for her on the 6pm and 11pm news. Please keep Stephanie and the WTVR family in your thoughts and prayers.

http://wtvr.com/2015/05/20/prayers-for-stephanie-rochon/

https://www.facebook.com/cbs6wtvr/posts/10152944705412426

https://www.facebook.com/BillFitzgeraldCBS6/photos/a.902574936427942.1073741825.177304145621695/987672831251485/?type=1&permPage=1

UPDATE: Turned on WTVR CBS 6 after I got home from work and I just learned after that Stephanie Rochon has passed away after her battle with cancer. Rest in peace, Stephanie. :(

http://wtvr.com/2015/06/03/goodbye-stephanie/

I've just got off the phone with my friend legendary Austin anchor Ron Oliveira and contacted the FOX 7 Newsroom at KTBC today to inform the death of Stephanie Rochon.

We here at TVNewsTalk want to offer our condolences to Stephanie's family and her extended family at KTBC FOX 7 Austin and WTVR CBS 6 Richmond, VA. Rochon's contributions

to local TV news and to the communities in both Austin, TX and Richmond, VA were amazingly great. And I know all of us who are many fans, viewers who watch Stephanie share our

grief with KTBC and WTVR; she'll sadly will be missed.

Rest in Peace Stephanie and Godspeed, you're in a better place.

Stephanie Rochon

(1965-2015)

New Fox Station for Jonesboro

This from the tip box:

Jonesboro has a new Fox Station. It's called KJNB 39 its on channel 13 jonesboro cable It is based out of mediran miss right now. it shows no news weather but it says it has big ideas big plans but right now 5 days in its CW with FOX'S prime time schedule.

http://arkansastvnewswatch.blogspot.com/2015/06/new-fox-station-for-jonesboro.html

And you might need a good outdoor antenna to pick it up, since its transmitter is near Walnut Ridge.

http://www.rabbitears.info/market.php?request=station_search&callsign=KJNB

http://www.rabbitears.info/contour.php?appid=1370021&map=Y

Now, when will Jonesboro get a CBS affiliate? Or will WREG fight it?

• rkolsen pinned, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • rkolsen locked this topic
  • rkolsen unlocked and pinned this topic