Out & About

TexasTVNews

It's probably a case of waiting for her maternity leave to be over before they announce any changes. It's a very weird predicament to be in, that's for sure.

Yeah it does seem like a very delicate situation, but the promos are making it sound like Kimi will be the permanent weather anchor for the morning show.

This situation feels somewhat similar to the one KGTV was in a few years ago on their morning show. Carol Sullivan was just newly installed as the news anchor when she went into maternity leave a few months later, they then installed Kaushal Patel as her replacement for Midday and her substitute for the morning show as Carol was also on maternity leave, a few months latter it seemed like they started running promos that highlighted Kaushal as their morning co-anchor (My memory is foggy, but I don't think they actually announced that Carol left the station). In less than five years, It seemed like KGTV went through 4 co-anchors. With the whole union debacle factored into the equation, that station was under turbulent times till Scripps came in.

WZVN must have elimnated their 5 pm news cast cause they only have the 6 and 11 pm news cast

According to TV listings, WZVN eliminated their 5:00 and 5:30 p.m. newscast and has replaced it with Extra at 5:00 and The Insider at 5:30 p.m. That just leaves WZVN with weeknights at 6:00, 7:00 and 11:00 p.m., aside from their weekday morning newscasts at 5:00, 6:00 and 9:00 a.m.

Also, WINK moved their 6:30 p.m. Sunday newscast to 6:00 p.m. to allow a separate newscast at 6:30 p.m. for WXCW.

Alright I missed some of these over the past few days so let me get everyone caught up:

First off KENS 5 has hired a new reporter, Chelsey Hernandez. What makes this hire different from the others is that she comes from Victoria which I think is DMA 205. We are DMA 33 so that is about a 170+ jump.

http://www.adweek.com/tvspy/reporter-chelsey-hernandez-joins-kens/147808

A stones throw from KENS we land at Sinclair (WOAI/KABB) where they have hired another reporter Andrew Lofholm. He comes to us from Casper, WY. They are DMA 196 so this is a jump of 163 markets. Sense the trend here? I guess we will continue to get cheap labor from tiny markets. This hasn't really happened in the past. I don't watch KENS so I can't tell you if Chelsey is any good. From what I've seen of Andrew, he seems decent for the market.

Up north I felt I needed to pass this along, I'm sure everyone here is aware of the FHRITP stunts that these lowlifes do. Well one reporter from City News in Toronto isn't having it and is taking matters into her own hands.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HKfZbCqoEIM

I commend her for standing up to these morons instead of just letting them have their moment. The guy lost his job for his remarks. Serves him right.

Finally I am way late on this one but better late than never right? The Spurs have hired Rachel Santschi as their new sideline reporter. I couldn't find much online about her other than she used to work as the sideline reporter for the Kansas City Chiefs and some article saying that she secretly dated Aaron Murray while he was dating the local news affiliates traffic reporter. Anyways I usually don't watch the pregame crap so I wasn't aware of this hire until I saw clip on the Spurs social media the other day.

That's all that's going on in my boring market right now.

Alright I missed some of these over the past few days so let me get everyone caught up:

First off KENS 5 has hired a new reporter, Chelsey Hernandez. What makes this hire different from the others is that she comes from Victoria which I think is DMA 205. We are DMA 33 so that is about a 170+ jump.

http://www.adweek.com/tvspy/reporter-chelsey-hernandez-joins-kens/147808

A stones throw from KENS we land at Sinclair (WOAI/KABB) where they have hired another reporter Andrew Lofholm. He comes to us from Casper, WY. They are DMA 196 so this is a jump of 163 markets. Sense the trend here? I guess we will continue to get cheap labor from tiny markets. This hasn't really happened in the past. I don't watch KENS so I can't tell you if Chelsey is any good. From what I've seen of Andrew, he seems decent for the market.

Up north I felt I needed to pass this along, I'm sure everyone here is aware of the FHRITP stunts that these lowlifes do. Well one reporter from City News in Toronto isn't having it and is taking matters into her own hands.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HKfZbCqoEIM

I commend her for standing up to these morons instead of just letting them have their moment. The guy lost his job for his remarks. Serves him right.

Finally I am way late on this one but better late than never right? The Spurs have hired Rachel Santschi as their new sideline reporter. I couldn't find much online about her other than she used to work as the sideline reporter for the Kansas City Chiefs and some article saying that she secretly dated Aaron Murray while he was dating the local news affiliates traffic reporter. Anyways I usually don't watch the pregame crap so I wasn't aware of this hire until I saw clip on the Spurs social media the other day.

That's all that's going on in my boring market right now.

A disturbing trend, but not unprecedented. A couple years ago, KPRC hired a sports reporter from Cheyenne, Gary Striewski (http://mikemcguff.blogspot.com/2012/05/kprc-2-grabs-gary-striewski-from-kgwn-5.html?m=1). He was horrible andwas gone in The blink of an eye.

Oh, wait, really? That traffic reporter is Kacie McDonnell and while I knew that they had ended their relationship/engagement, I didn't know why. While it might be a rumor, it's certainly plausible.

As for hiring cheap talent from small markets, that's something KSHB seems to love to do.

Oh, wait, really? That traffic reporter is Kacie McDonnell and while I knew that they had ended their relationship/engagement, I didn't know why. While it might be a rumor, it's certainly plausible.

As for hiring cheap talent from small markets, that's something KSHB seems to love to do.

Last place stations are most likely to do things like that. They are often seen as a quick opportunity to jump into a big market...

Fred Shropshire announces his departure from WTVD effective Friday. No station/city announced publicly except that he will be a main anchor at "another station", which leads me to believe he'll be staying in the Triangle.

My prediction... WRAL. I could be wrong, but I maybe right.

Fred Shropshire announces his departure from WTVD effective Friday. No station/city announced publicly except that he will be a main anchor at "another station", which leads me to believe he'll be staying in the Triangle.

I say WNCN because WRAL already has David Crabtree and Gerard Owens to fill all their afternoon and evening newscasts.

WISN's Craig McKee, who has been anchoring the weeknight 5, 6 and 10p newscasts alongside Kathy Mykleby, is leaving to take a top spot at WCPO in Cincinnati.

My money is on Tim Elliott, the new "breaking news anchor" for 12 News This Morning to take his spot...

Interesting that WISN and WTMJ both have senior anchor vacancies right now.

My money is on Tim Elliott, the new "breaking news anchor" for 12 News This Morning to take his spot.

I don't think so. I think they're going to do an external search, looking for someone with a little more seniority.

I don't think so. I think they're going to do an external search, looking for someone with a little more seniority.

I knew there wouldn't be an external search. Here's the new anchor lineup:

5 p.m.: Toya Washington, Patrick Paolantonio, Mark Baden

6 & 10 p.m.: Kathy Mykleby, Joyce Garbaciak, Patrick Paolantonio, Mark Baden, Dan Needles

So Tim Elliott likely takes Patrick's AM spot, they get a new breaking news anchor from a smaller Hearst market. Joyce was anchoring weekends if I'm not mistaken, so they will need to find a replacement there as well. Here's the very long winded release.

I think WISN made the right moves here.

6 & 10 p.m.: Kathy Mykleby, Joyce Garbaciak, Patrick Paolantonio, Mark Baden, Dan Needles

So Tim Elliott likely takes Patrick's AM spot, they get a new breaking news anchor from a smaller Hearst market. Joyce was anchoring weekends if I'm not mistaken, so they will need to find a replacement there as well. Here's the very long winded release.

I never think it's a good idea to have a same sex pairing (male or female) on your main newscast.

@TVNewsLover

In this climate of television there seem to be a shift to have (2) women anchoring the news together. At one time Hearst had a few stations where (2) female would anchor the 11pm. There seems to be a shift where women are on the anchor desk vs. the male/female tradition of anchoring. I think that going to be the new normal of (2) female either on station marquee 5 or 6pm news.

Part of me thinks this is still sort of temporary, although temporary may last for a while. By that, I mean that I wonder how long Kathy has before she starts thinking about retirement herself. I could see Joyce becoming Kathy's replacement as the female anchor with the most seniority; and they'd then pair her with a male anchor (Patrick, possibly, or someone from outside the station).

Edit: Joyce was previously anchoring 5:00, fill-in at 6 and 10, as well as doing special projects.

• rkolsen pinned, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • rkolsen locked this topic
  • rkolsen unlocked and pinned this topic