Out & About

TexasTVNews

KABB announces Monica Taylor, their morning coanchor, is leaving to be the spokesperson at CPS (our utility company).

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/jakle06/2015/03/longtime-s-a-anchor-exits-tv-news/#21892101=0

Jessica Headley, their traffic reporter, is going to fill in while they conduct a "national search" for her replacement. Good choice because she is really good the times she has filled in, and I have also met her a couple times and she is very nice and genuine. She had problems when she first started but has dramatically improved since then and deserves a promotion.

Hopefully they will just elevate Headley to the permanent spot and then bring Jennifer Barbaro (who is usually Headley's traffic fill in when she is away) on full time rather than hire externally. Keep GOOD talent that we San Antonio viewers are familiar with rather than bring in some out of towner who will struggle to fit in at Fox 29.

Going out of town for your traffic reporter hire isn't a good move sometimes too, just look at KENS5...

Wonder why she's leaving KCNC...

Also, MG sold WNEG off because of the debt they incurred buying the Outlet Four.

My guess is to work in a larger market and perhaps have a better schedule? What does she do at KCNC now? Her KCNC bio is rather vague.

So it looks like to me that this group is another one of those 'speculators', who are only in to buy so they can cash-in after auction time. Remember this is the same Marquee Broadcasting that bought Salisbury's ABC affiliate WMDT in 2013.

This one is definitely a head-scratcher. Marquee seems to be investing in WMDT, with new graphics, music and logo since taking over. Yet they're buying stations close to large markets. I'll have to wait and see...

I really want to see the WNEG calls return, but it's a long shot...

A very bittersweet day here in the SusquValley as 42-year veteran of WHTM-TV, Chuck Rhodes, the dean of weather forecasting ... is retiring. It is effective April 30th.

On a personal note, he was the one that helped my interest in weather. I would be remiss to not say that I'm sad to hear this news. But to everything there is a time, season for everything. I wish him the best. Class act. Class talent. Great guy.

http://abc27.com/2015/04/02/chuck-rhodes-announces-plan-for-retirement/

-- Matt

Last I saw of her, she was a reporter for them. She introduced segments from the studio, she was never out in the field.

I remember she used to do those social media/opinion-y type things from that silly "Interactive Help Center." It seemed like she was on everyday in the mornings or during that brief period when they brought 4pm news back, though I can't remember the last time I saw her on air. Given that KCNC has shifted direction a little bit in the last few years to more hard news, I could see where maybe she wouldn't be in favor here anymore.

Anyway, some news from KTVU: Tori Campbell to leave in June to spend more time with family. Gasia Mikaelian will replace her on Mornings on 2 (and presumably the noon news as well).

http://wn.ktvu.com/Clip/11344408/ktvus-gasia-mikaelian-to-join-mornings-on-2#.VR35yq73VOY.facebook

No word yet on what will happen to the 5pm and 7pm, though my guess is they put Julie back on the 5pm and leave the 7pm to be a rotation of Heather Holmes, Ken Pritchett, or Eric Rasmussen.

Didn't their parent just sell all their stations sans KTXD and KCEB? Makes you wonder if they spent all $215mil of that Gannett money...

I wonder if Gannett would want to come in and scoop up London completely and let operated TXD as a duop with WFAA...

Gannett would have a little difficulty buying KTXD as they currently have a JSA with KFWD. And, WFAA also handles KFWD's MC (at least prior to the Belo/Gannett merger.) I flat out forgot about that when I proclaimed Gannett would buy KTXD last spring and further elaborated my reasoning a month later. I guess I have a big plate of crow to eat on that one. Although, I'm still a bit puzzled why they broke off KCEB.

Anyway, a few "happenings" of note here in the Twin Cities:

• WCCO VP/GM, Brien Kennedy, is headed to Philadelphia where he will become President/GM of KYW/WPSG.
  • WCCO launched a 9am newscast, WCCO Mid-Morning, this past Monday. The format is mostly "fluff" and roundtable discussion of the days "talkers" coupled with the days headlines and weather. It's hosted by Jason DeRusha and Kylie Bearse. And, they will be joined by 2 members of WCCO's on-air staff rotating daily. WCCO Mid-Morning replaces The Queen Latifah Show which ceased airing new episodes earlier in March. I wouldn't be shocked if the concept expands to other CBS O&O's and WCCO is being used as the test bed.
  • KMSP will reportedly launch a 10am "talk show" hosted by the returning Jason Matheson. It will reportedly be focused on "national talkers" and "pop culture." I'm guessing it might be similar to his morning radio show. But, I'm curious if it will be live or taped given his radio show ends at 9am.
  • KMSP morning anchor, Tom Halden, is leaving to become director of communications for the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis. His last day will be April 10th.
  • Finally, KSTP is shortening it's hour-long 10pm newscast to the traditional 35 minute length starting April 13th. This will allow them to air Jimmy Kimmel Live at it's scheduled 10:35pm start time. The cynic in me can't help but think that ABC gave them some more "prodding" given they just started a new affiliation agreement with KSTP at the beginning of the year.

WCCO launched a 9pm newscast, WCCO Mid-Morning, this past Monday. The format is mostly "fluff" and roundtable discussion of the days "talkers" coupled with the days headlines and weather. It's hosted by Jason DeRusha and Kylie Bearse. And, they will be joined by 2 members of WCCO's on-air staff rotating daily. WCCO Mid-Morning replaces The Queen Latifah Show which ceased airing new episodes earlier in March. I wouldn't be shocked if the concept expands to other CBS O&O's and WCCO is being used as the test bed.

I wonder if it's going to be similar in concept to KDKA's Pittsburgh Today Live? If so, then WCCO might have a hit unless the Today Show on KARE and Live on KSTP get really good ratings.

Anyway, a few "happenings" of note here in the Twin Cities:

• WCCO launched a 9am newscast, WCCO Mid-Morning, this past Monday. The format is mostly "fluff" and roundtable discussion of the days "talkers" coupled with the days headlines and weather. It's hosted by Jason DeRusha and Kylie Bearse. And, they will be joined by 2 members of WCCO's on-air staff rotating daily. WCCO Mid-Morning replaces The Queen Latifah Show which ceased airing new episodes earlier in March. I wouldn't be shocked if the concept expands to other CBS O&O's and WCCO is being used as the test bed.
  • KMSP will reportedly launch a 10am "talk show" hosted by the returning Jason Matheson. It will reportedly be focused on "national talkers" and "pop culture." I'm guessing it might be similar to his morning radio show. But, I'm curious if it will be live or taped given his radio show ends at 9am.
  • Finally, KSTP is shortening it's hour-long 10pm newscast to the traditional 35 minute length starting April 13th. This will allow them to air Jimmy Kimmel Live at it's scheduled 10:35pm start time. The cynic in me can't help but think that ABC gave them some more "prodding" given they just started a new affiliation agreement with KSTP at the beginning of the year.

Notice the mistakes. You said 9pm and 10pm.

And KSTP shortening its hour-long 10:00 p.m. weeknight newscast? Ah shucks. That was probably the best thing of KSTP's 10pm news, considering it was an hour-long, compared to WCCO, KMSP and KARE.

WFRV is in the middle of getting a new set [finally]. The set change also happens to coincide with the station's 60th anniversary.

The old set has been donated to UW-Oshkosh [disclosure: I live not too far from the campus and studios].

This is about all the spoilage I can find at this point....

WFRV is in the middle of getting a new set [finally]. The set change also happens to coincide with the station's 60th anniversary.

The old set has been donated to UW-Oshkosh [disclosure: I live not too far from the campus and studios].

Considering its Nexstar, I'm not expecting anything spectacular.

Probably something similar (if not identical) to WJMN's set.

Gannett would have a little difficulty buying KTXD as they currently have a JSA with KFWD. And, WFAA also handles KFWD's MC (at least prior to the Belo/Gannett merger.) I flat out forgot about that when I proclaimed Gannett would buy KTXD last spring and further elaborated my reasoning a month later. I guess I have a big plate of crow to eat on that one. Although, I'm still a bit puzzled why they broke off KCEB.

You would be incorrect as WFAA broke their ties with KFWD nearly three years ago...

http://unclebarky.com/dfw_files/ab790f08e973743a111e39b6fba1707e-2436.html

KTVT CBS 11 has found its new morning and 11am anchor. Russ McCaskey of Tulsa's NBC 2 (KJRH) has been hired to replace Brendan Higgins and be paired

with Karen Borta on CBS 11 News This Morning and CBS 11 News at 11AM. McCaskey's first day will be June 1st.

http://www.adweek.com/tvspy/dallas-station-names-morning-co-anchor/145527

WECP 18 (Panama City) has started airing a local newscast this week - weeknights at 5:30 p.m. and starting next week - weekdays at noon. WJHG 7's noon newscast is moving to 11am as a result. Remember that WJHG 7 and WECP 18 are sister stations (Gray Television) and WJHG 7 produces both the noon and 5:30 p.m. for WECP 18.

https://changingnewscasts.wordpress.com/2015/04/08/wjhg-wecp-making-additions-moves-panama-city/

Another DFW move: Janet St. James, WFAA's longtime medical reporter, will depart the station March 17. She has accepted a VP position at a healthcare/hospital company. St. James was with WFAA for 19 years, and covered the medical beat since 2000. No word on if a replacement medical reporter will be named; if not, it will likely mark the first time in decades that a major DFW news station has not had an in-house medical reporter.

http://unclebarky.com/dfw_files/f6ac5899604bb14eb8384c9f5d78944a-3334.html

No sooner than she announced her departure from WFAA, it has been reported that Janet St. James has been diagnosed with breast cancer, which was not found during a November mammogram. It has spread to her lymph nodes; she will have a double mastectomy. The news report also states that St. James posted a video about her condition to her Facebook page.

http://thescoopblog.dallasnews.com/2015/04/former-wfaa-tv-reporter-janet-st-james-diagnosed-with-invasive-breast-cancer.html/

Sad to see her go through this, hope she can pull through.

WJHG in Panama City, FL is moving their hour-long noon newscast to 11am on Monday April 13.

http://www.wjhg.com/home/headlines/299263801.html

This will make way for a half hour noon show on low-powered sister station WECP, which recently began airing a 5:30 newscast as "Local 18 News"; pushing the CBS Evening News to 6pm.

This now means that WMBB and WJHG will compete head-to-head at 11am. Since WECP relies so heavily on WJHG, this arrangement makes sense since newscasts can't air on top of each other. I'm surprised it took this long considering WTVY in Dothan began producing a 5:30 show for WRGX right from the get-go. And Panama City still lacks a 9pm newscast of any kind.

And Panama City still lacks a 9pm newscast of any kind.

WJHG could've done so because it offers The CW on 7.2 and so does WECP with MyNetwork TV on 18.2. Instead, they rather have syndicated programming instead during those timeslots.

• rkolsen pinned, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • rkolsen locked this topic
  • rkolsen unlocked and pinned this topic