Out & About

TexasTVNews

In the Miami market, WJAN-TV has lanuched it's 7am newscast presented by Luisiana Rios (She's still anchoring the 11pm newscast on this station).

the second Spanish local newscast at 7:00 a.m. after Noticias 23 al Amanecer en UniMas Miami (WAMI 69). Unfortunately, this new newscast is also an hour-long and its called "Arriba America," obvious with its name-sake.

First, one of three single-station Nexstar deals, the KASW one from SagamoreHill has been CLOSED.

They also named the former Director of Sales for the Telemundo Arizona stations, Denise McManus, as General Manager.

It appears they're staying at the KTVK facilities at 5555 N. 7th Avenue until May, according to the KASW info link at nexstar.tv.

You think they'll take the KPHO studio facilities?

I believe the Black Canyon studios of KPHO are too large and old (asbestos build, maybe?) for KASW to move in. I wouldn't be surprised if Nexstar found some space near the airport for the station, most likely near KNXV - that seems to be the new "broadcast row" in town.

http://www.adweek.com/tvspy/on-the-move-20415/140713 Larry Miller, A General Assignment Reporter at ABC 33/40 in Birmingham is moving to WUSA also as a reporter

http://www.adweek.com/tvspy/warren-korff-named-news-director-at-wevv/140626 WEVV in Evansville has found a news director, 1 step closer...

http://www.adweek.com/tvspy/hena-daniels-and-erika-martin-join-wpix/140665 Not Surprised here, lets see how long they stay here...

apparently i never saw this, WFOX and WJAX now have a weekend morning newscast, anchored by Erica Bennett and Meteorologist Erin Clanahan

A couple of things from Detroit:

WJBK FOX 2 has added Megan Spencer, who was last at WTVQ in Lexington, KY until 2011 as Weekend Evening Co-Anchor alongside Ron Savage. No word on if she will report during the week as well:

http://www.adweek.com/tvspy/wjbk-adds-co-anchor-to-weekend-newscast/140891

A producer at WXYZ made a bad decision Wednesday Morning when wording a post of the video of the Taiwan Plane Crash. The post triggered several complaints and a correction and semi-apology:

http://deadlinedetroit.com/articles/11472/update_terribly_worded_post_on_crash_was_not_part_of_a_trend_wxyz_says#.VNP-0y7VrMr

As I mentioned in the No Emotion Box, TMJ4 in Milwaukee announced that the morning team of Vince Vitrano, Susan Kim, Brian Gotter, and TaTiana Cash will be pulling an "all nighter" following the Super Bowl, anchoring Live at 10 following the game and Live at Daybreak the next morning.

I've never heard of any other station doing this before, but it almost makes sense, considering Live at 10 probably won't start until 11:30-midnight, and Live at Daybreak starts a few hours later at 4:30am.

KMOV is doing the same thing tonight after the Grammys.

News Directors corner;

Julie Eisenmann leaves WJCL22/WTGS28 in Savannah for Assistant News Director at WXIA in Atlanta.

Dave Ciliberti leaves WTEN in Albany, NY for WCMH in Columbus, OH both are Media General stations.

Keith Conners has landed at WTNH in New Haven, CT having last worked at WTHR in Indy.

I think it's nothing other than overlap. KEVN operates its main signal on channel 7. Given the VHF operation, and the terrain in the region, it may simply be used to fill in some dark spots. KOTA is already doing that. They're operating on channel 2, with a translator on channel 18.

Well, now I am curious. Gray has reserved the call sign KIVN-LD for K23KK-D. The only sure thing is that it won't be CBS. They just renewed their agreement for KCLO. Seems like a lot of work to grab something like CW or My Network. Why not just put it on a subchannel like they just did in Casper for KCWY?

WISN has launched a new image campaign called "Where will 12 News take you tonight?". Basically highlights how they bring you all the big stories and events happening in Milwaukee. The main thing I found interesting is that there is zero use of Hearst's triangled look they usually use for everything; instead opting for a squared off blue, yellow, and black look.

Has anyone else noticed Hearst stations in other markets doing this?

Video can be seen on the homepage of wisn.com, there is no option to embed.

• rkolsen pinned, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • rkolsen locked this topic
  • rkolsen unlocked and pinned this topic