Out & About

TexasTVNews

Interesting. I wonder if WKYC will do likewise.

They probably would if they see that Dr. Phil is doing terrible in the ratings. But remember, WKYC 3 has LIVE on Lakeside at Noon that's only half-hour. They have no "pay for play" program, unlike Atlanta and Company on WXIA. They have Rachael Ray at 11:00 a.m., LIVE on Lakside at Noon and NBC Kids E/I programming at 12:30 p.m.

Also unlike WXIA 11 when Dr. Phil was airing twice, WKYC 3 only airs the first-run episodes at 5:00 p.m., so finding a replacement hour can be hard unless they replace Family Feud and Celebrity Name Game (3 and 3:30 p.m. respectively) or the soon-to-be-canceled Queen Latifah Show at 2:00 p.m.

Interesting. I wonder if WKYC will do likewise.

Unless Dr. Phil is getting trashed in the ratings, it's doubtful. That show competing against the other 5pm shows really helped WKYC climb out of 3rd place and made them a factor in Cleveland's ratings for the first time in decades.

They used to have a 5 or 5:30 show back in the 80s and 90s, but it was short lived due to the then-powerhouse "Live on 5" which was the only game in town until WJW added news at 5:00 in the mid 1990s and WOIO following suit almost a decade later.

Unless Dr. Phil is getting trashed in the ratings, it's doubtful. That show competing against the other 5pm shows really helped WKYC climb out of 3rd place and made them a factor in Cleveland's ratings for the first time in decades.

They used to have a 5 or 5:30 show back in the 80s and 90s, but it was short lived due to the then-powerhouse "Live on 5" which was the only game in town until WJW added news at 5:00 in the mid 1990s and WOIO following suit almost a decade later.

Cleveland is one of "Dr." Phil McGraw's strongest markets and has been since WKYC landed the show. And Ellen is a powerhouse for them at 4pm.

(Seriously, Phil is as much a doctor as you and I are.)

Two big names are hanging up the mike.

FOX 2 KTVI's Tom O'Neal is retiring on April 10th. O'Neal has been on St. Louis airwaves for 40 years, and he has been at KTVI for 25 years, he started working

at KTVI since 1990 after working cross-town KSDK. Vic Faust will succeed him as anchor April 13.

http://www.adweek.com/tvspy/tom-oneal-retiring-from-ktvi-station-hires-replacement/140338

Melissa Long of ABC station WPTA/Fort Wayne is also retiring. Long started working at WPTA in 1992 as freelance reporter before being promoted to morning

co-anchor, she's been the stations evening anchor since 1995. Long says she'll retire at the end of this year, no replacement has named at this time.

http://www.adweek.com/tvspy/anchor-melissa-long-retiring-from-wpta/140330

Two big names are hanging up the mike.

FOX 2 KTVI's Tom O'Neal is retiring on April 10th. O'Neal has been on St. Louis airwaves for 40 years, and he has been at KTVI for 25 years, he started working

at KTVI since 1990 after working cross-town KSDK. Vic Faust will succeed him as anchor April 13.

http://www.adweek.com/tvspy/tom-oneal-retiring-from-ktvi-station-hires-replacement/140338

Melissa Long of ABC station WPTA/Fort Wayne is also retiring. Long started working at WPTA in 1992 as freelance reporter before being promoted to morning

co-anchor, she's been the stations evening anchor since 1995. Long says she'll retire at the end of this year, no replacement has named at this time.

http://www.adweek.com/tvspy/anchor-melissa-long-retiring-from-wpta/140330

And now we need a new morning anchor at WXYZ. Good for Vic though, he's gonna be a reporter and eventually lead anchor in his hometown.

It's official, KPRC has dropped the Local 2 brand, and called it KPRC 2. Their newscasts is now called KPRC Channel 2 News. In my opinion, I wish KPRC would call themselves NBC 2 and bring back News2Houston.

I wonder if others will be dropping the "Local" branding.

Cleveland is one of "Dr." Phil McGraw's strongest markets and has been since WKYC landed the show. And Ellen is a powerhouse for them at 4pm.

(Seriously, Phil is as much a doctor as you and I are.)

Had it not been for the "non-compete" that Oprah and Dr. Phil had which forbade them from being scheduled over each other; WKYC would have likely scheduled Dr. Phil at 4pm. "Ellen" premiered the following year and has held the 4pm slot ever since. Even before "Dr. Phil", the 5pm slot was home for a slew of talk shows from Montel to Donahue.

As I mentioned in the No Emotion Box, TMJ4 in Milwaukee announced that the morning team of Vince Vitrano, Susan Kim, Brian Gotter, and TaTiana Cash will be pulling an "all nighter" following the Super Bowl, anchoring Live at 10 following the game and Live at Daybreak the next morning.

I've never heard of any other station doing this before, but it almost makes sense, considering Live at 10 probably won't start until 11:30-midnight, and Live at Daybreak starts a few hours later at 4:30am.

WFSB debuted new graphics that were inspired by the CBS O&O look , as well as a new set

Seems like The Land of the Three has outdone theselves again with the new set and GFX.

That cut with Enforcer NG4 with Advantage (IN USE since '90!) is nice!!!!

Now if they could lower their Circle 3 (been in use since '93, last revised in '04) when they form with the title on the open, that would be great.

(and on their bug, could TV3 they shift their wfsb.com bug with their Twitter/Facebook screennames, like their neighboring O&O Sisters, WBZ and WCBS, does?)

It's official, KPRC has dropped the Local 2 brand, and called it KPRC 2. Their newscasts is now called KPRC Channel 2 News. In my opinion, I wish KPRC would call themselves NBC 2 and bring back News2Houston.

They're going back to "Channel 2 News" again...

It's late '85 all over again...

(IMHO, They should go use the "CHANNELTWONEWS" style like they used from 1985-92...)

Longtime KTRK anchor/traffic reporter Don Nelson retiring from KTRK the end of this month:

http://abc13.com/entertainment/don-nelson-is-retiring/500580/

Also Vikki Taylor who also worked at KTRK and KRBE has passed away from cancer:

http://abc13.com/news/traffic-reporter-vikki-taylor-dies-after-battle-with-cancer/499339/

Congrats to Don on his upcoming and retirement and condolences to Vikki's family on her passing.

• rkolsen pinned, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • rkolsen locked this topic
  • rkolsen unlocked and pinned this topic