Out & About

TexasTVNews

How do you feel about Kaley coming to Texas and Karen moving to mornings? Word is it wasn't her idea? She been the face of 11 for a long time?

Karen has been at KTVT since around the time of their flip to CBS. I don't think of her as a morning type, simply because of her long evening/nightly anchoring tenure. Another thing about the change, how long before they make a permanent move in the other anchor chair, since Jason Allen is considered a fill-in? Either way, I hope Karen works out in the morning. As for the not-her-idea part, I haven't heard/read anything like that, but I did find myself listening for clues during that video of her announcement to the other TV station employees about the change. I wouldn't be too surprised if there was a not-her-idea factor involved, as there is a growing list of long-time DFW anchors being shown the retirement door or reduced duties or otherwise.

As for Kaley, I'm not sure since I'm not familiar with her. Her name might provide chuckles or tongue-twists for some viewers (and Uncle Barky), though--at least at the beginning.

In the world of Kansas City:

Johnny Kane is leaving as sports director of KMBC to go work for Fox Sports Detroit. Why they never promoted veteran Karen Kornacki to sports director way back when and why they don't just do it this time around I don't know.

KSHB assistant news director Matt Brown is headed to Tampa Bay's WFTS to be their news director

Today is the last day for Erika Hayes from WBTW/WFXB as the late evening anchor in Myrtle Beach/Florence. She is heading to WCNC in Charlotte to be an anchor/reporter. What a great talent and will be miss indeed. I wonder what newscast she will anchor (either the morning anchor position vacated by Kellie Patterson for over a year or the 5/11 p.m. newscasts that Dion Lim use to anchor)

NBC's newest affiliate is KAIT, who will offer the network on a digital subchannel beginning January 26. The new NBC subchannel will offer WMC's newscasts with local inserts (I assume WMC is already the common NBC affiliate for the area, so this makes sense).

Almost seems that KAIT-DT2 will be a semi-satellite of WMC. NBC was supposed to launch on KJNE-LP (now KJNB-LP) under New Moon but that never happened. The only market that New Moon was supposed to launch an NBC affiliate and still doesn't have one now is Kirksville, MO / Ottumwa, IA (the others were Jonesboro, Dothan, AL and Jackson, TN).

Suddenlink carries both WMC-TV and KARK in Jonesboro.

Yep. And Raycom owns both KAIT and WMC so they'll still make their money. Glad to see they'll simulcast WMC because I think a lot of people in that market do turn to WMC for their news and I think people would've been upset if they replaced WMC without simulcasting the news from them.

The Jonesboro market gets KAIT for ABC and the rest from either Memphis or Little Rock.

Almost seems that KAIT-DT2 will be a semi-satellite of WMC. NBC was supposed to launch on KJNE-LP (now KJNB-LP) under New Moon but that never happened. The only market that New Moon was supposed to launch an NBC affiliate and still doesn't have one now is Kirksville, MO / Ottumwa, IA (the others were Jonesboro, Dothan, AL and Jackson, TN).

KTVO already has a CBS subchannel so I'm not sure if Sinclair wants to attempt a NBC subchannel as well.

The other other possiblilty would be American Spirit (Raycom) which owns KYOU the Fox affiliate in Kirksville/Ottumwa. I don't see that happening because they barely invest anything into KYOU. The market is an afterthought to Raycom after they sold KTVO to Barrington and I wonder if they even realize American Spirit still owns KYOU.

Being one of the smallest markets in the nation doesn't exactly bring out the big bucks. So I expect that people in that market will either keep getting NBC through WGEM (Quincy), KSHB (KC), or on the Iowa side WHO (Des Moines).

Being one of the smallest markets in the nation doesn't exactly bring out the big bucks. So I expect that people in that market will either keep getting NBC through WGEM (Quincy), KSHB (KC), or on the Iowa side WHO (Des Moines).

WHO used to have a translator in Ottumwa, along with KCCI. Both are now off the air.

NBC's newest affiliate is KAIT, who will offer the network on a digital subchannel beginning January 26. The new NBC subchannel will offer WMC's newscasts with local inserts (I assume WMC is already the common NBC affiliate for the area, so this makes sense).

Really, KAIT? You couldn't at least simulcast the full newscasts you already produce locally at the same time?

Seems quite silly to me, cable staple and sister status aside.

Angela Russell is leaving KIRO 7 in Seattle to spend more time with her family.

www.kirotv.com/news/news/kiros-angela-russell-leave-broadcast-news/njcfs/

Yes, sadly, Angela Russell never really caught on in Seattle. During a visit at Thanksgiving, I noted that they had added Monique Ming Laven to the early evening newscasts -- so this move was just a matter of time.

Really, KAIT? You couldn't at least simulcast the full newscasts you already produce locally at the same time?

Seems quite silly to me, cable staple and sister status aside.

It actually makes more sense. Because a lot of people already watch WMC for news and they're both owned by Raycom, it's easy for them to simulcast the news from WMC.

Having the same newscast on 2 stations is just stupid and I think a lot of people in that market would be upset if they weren't able to watch the news from WMC anymore. By doing this, they can avoid that controversy and still be able to get addition local ad revenue for KAIT.

This is a pretty smart move on Raycom's part.

Yes, sadly, Angela Russell never really caught on in Seattle. During a visit at Thanksgiving, I noted that they had added Monique Ming Laven to the early evening newscasts -- so this move was just a matter of time.

Monique has been anchoring the 5 pm newscasts since June. And your correct a matter time before Angela was out the door. She is saying it's to spend more time with her 2 young daughters/pursue her passion for writing; others are saying she's being pushed out.

Monique has been anchoring the 5 pm newscasts since June. And your correct a matter time before Angela was out the door. She is saying it's to spend more time with her 2 young daughters/pursue her passion for writing; others are saying she's being pushed out.

I'm sure she was not re-signed. She had been there 5.5 years and probably had a standard 5-year contract, which KIRO chose not to renew. It's too bad but she was never very popular in the Seattle market (i.e. my family would say, "Angela WHO?" when I asked about how she was doing!)