Out & About

TexasTVNews

Funeral arrangements for Bill Bonds have been announced:

Visitation Thursday, December 18, 1pm to 8pm, Lynch & Sons Funeral Home, 1328 N. Crooks Road, Clawson, MI.

There will be a sharing of memories service, Thursday at 7:30pm.

Funeral, Friday, December 19, 11am, Holy Name Catholic Church, 630 Harmon, Birmingham, MI 48009.

Memorials appreciated to Focus Hope Foundation, 1355 Oakman Boulevard, Detroit, MI 48238,

the Michigan Humane Society, Detroit Center for Animal Care, 7401 Chrysler Drive, Detroit, MI 48211,

and the Alzheimer’s Association, 25200 Telegraph Road, STE 100, Southfield, MI 48033

Growing up my grandparents would watch Bill (Billy) Bonds at 5PM with Robbie Timmons and come back at 11pm for the Update then with Dayna Eubanks. In 1988, Diana Lewis would return from KABC to come back to WXYZ. Dayna would go down the street to WJBK-TV2. The Update at 11 with Bill Bonds and Diana Lewis and Detroit's first news team.

That man was one of the greats in television local news and he just did it right. It so sad to hear this news, but he read 8 Newspapers from the former GM, and somebody else said they saw him read 5 Newspapers. It really a end of an era, and everyone who wanted to be in news wanted to be like Bill Bonds and work at Channel 7.

So many people at Broadcast House walked and worked in his shadow;

Rich Fisher

Guy Gordon

Doris Biscoe

Dayna Eubanks

Diana Lewis

Robbie Timmons

Jerry Hodak

Erik Smith

Mike Holfield

Frank Turner

Don Lark

Another passing to report.

Mark Leff, a former CNN Correspondent (from the network's inception until 2001) passed away in Shanghai, China.

After CNN, he was a Journalism professor at Ohio University who taught broadcast news classes and assisted with the WOUB news department. He later became a consultant for Shanghai Media Group's ICS News.

I had the pleasure of working with him, and his teachings still resonate with me to this day, especially his pronunciation of Iraq (eh-ROCK). He will be missed.

http://ftvlive.com/todays-news/2014/12/15/former-cnn-correspondent-mark-leff-is-dead

For those of us who were not familiar with Bill Bonds, his career, or his contributions, IMO it is somewhat fitting to know who would be considered true peers to him--almost like a tribute. Seeing other names in the local news business that have made their own impacts similar to or equal to Bill Bonds truly illustrates to the rest of us how much he was surely admired and respected in the Detroit market.

Including Tracy Rowlett as an example showed me what I must have missed during the tenure of Bill Bonds. Thank you bammy9 for posting the news of his passing.

For those of us who were not familiar with Bill Bonds, his career, or his contributions, IMO it is somewhat fitting to know who would be considered true peers to him--almost like a tribute. Seeing other names in the local news business that have made their own impacts similar to or equal to Bill Bonds truly illustrates to the rest of us how much he was surely admired and respected in the Detroit market.

Including Tracy Rowlett as an example showed me what I must have missed during the tenure of Bill Bonds. Thank you bammy9 for posting the news of his passing.

To me Bill Bonds/Diana Lewis were the John Pruitt/ Monica Pearson(Kaufman) in Atlanta the equivalent. Others would be Ron Magers as well too. Tracey Rowlett, Chip Moody would be on the same lines.

Meredith McDonough of WESH has been promoted to early evening & late night co-anchor:

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvspy/wesh-promotes-meredith-mcdonough_b136252

She replaces Martha Sugalaski who left in July.

So it been stated that Martha going over to rival WFTV/Channel 9. So what would her job be at WFTV? Martie and Vanessa do the evening shows, so where would they place her at? Does anybody think Vanessa or Martie's days number at WFTV? Remember when they push Marla Weech off for Martie Salt? Could this be the same storyline for Channel 9???

So it been stated that Martha going over to rival WFTV/Channel 9. So what would her job be at WFTV? Martie and Vanessa do the evening shows, so where would they place her at? Does anybody think Vanessa or Martie's days number at WFTV? Remember when they push Marla Weech off for Martie Salt? Could this be the same storyline for Channel 9???

I'm not sure, but Martha still has another 8 months left before she appears on air so we'll see what happens.

WOFL/WRBW announced today that it will be the local TV partner for MLS's Orlando City SC starting with the club's inaugural season next year.

So can you safely say that the MLS is here to stay rather than just bouyed from attention of the world cup and summer olympics even amongst the casual observers? Orlando has a soccer club and from what i've read Miami would soon get one too, thanks in part to the backing of Mr. Beckham. It seems like certain places you never thought would have a MLS club do.

As stated back in October. WMBF's founding VP/GM Ted Fortenberry will be the new VP/GM of Jackson's WLBT. It appears Raycom has found a replacement from within. The station announced yesterday, that its News Director Sarah Miles has been promoted as new VP/GM of WMBF.

And while Fortenberry returns to Mississippi to head WLBT, he won't be the only new face there. TVSpy stated that Jonesboro's KAIT's ND Hatton Weeks will become the new ND of WLBT.

So can you safely say that the MLS is here to stay rather than just bouyed from attention of the world cup and summer olympics even amongst the casual observers? Orlando has a soccer club and from what i've read Miami would soon get one too, thanks in part to the backing of Mr. Beckham. It seems like certain places you never thought would have a MLS club do.

Miami used to have an MLS club, but folded in 2001 (Miami Fusion F.C.)

From Dallas-Fort Worth: Longtime CBS 11/KTVT evening anchor Karen Borta is moving to mornings.

She made the announcement to the staff today:

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2014/12/18/cbs-11s-karen-borta-is-moving-to-mornings/

Now I know why Kaley O'Kelly left KTVK and coming to KTVT CBS 11, O'Kelly will succeed Karen at 5, 6, & 10PM.

As the old saying goes, "You can't polish a turd..."

It stands true for WNWO and all of the "effort" Sinclair's put into the station, drawing numbers that pale WTVG and WTOL/WUPW.

Of course, being off the main cable system for almost 6 MONTHS probably helped....

http://ftvlive.com/todays-news/2014/12/19/toledo-station-might-have-lowest-rated-newscast-in-the-country

But wait....there's more!

Down in Charlotte, our favorite O&O is pulling in EVEN WORSE numbers compared to WNWO (seeing as how Toledo is market 76 and Charlotte is 24)

and to add insult to injury, FTVLive used the old "FOX Charlotte" logo from WCCB!

While the other stations are raking in tens of thousands of viewers, WJZY is WAY behind the others, getting a measly 700 viewers for the 6am show and topping off with 7800 for their so-called "newscast" at 10.

Here's the numbers from the Charlotte Observer that FTVLive is talking about...

http://charlottemediascene.blogspot.com/2014/12/ratings-for-key-charlotte-newscasts.html

WSB reporter Kerry Kavanaugh is headed to new sister station WFXT in Boston:

http://www.newenglandone.com/news/local-news/item/801-kerry-kavanaugh-joining-fox-25-as-investigative-reporter.html

Meanwhile, over at WAGA...they're probably going to wait till after Christmas to make anything official as far as David Chandley's concerned.

• rkolsen pinned, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • rkolsen locked this topic
  • rkolsen unlocked and pinned this topic