Out & About

TexasTVNews

It is an atypical setup, and something WTVF in Nashville did as well to some extent following the retirement of Hope Hines. Not sure if they still do that type of arrangement.

Also, according to a press release on the LocalMemphis page (http://www.localmemphis.com/content/newstation/story/TV-Stations-Welcome-New-Talent-to-Local-Sports/qg0WzyQ-2USvw_3vH0JKsA.cspx), Doc will have a dual role as both a general assignment and sports reporter for the stations, which is also not unusual as WHBQ did that with Marcus Hunter and Kristin Tallent in the past.

That should be interesting considering the fact that WREG no longer does a sports show on Sundays (they used to have one that was hosted by George Lapides, who does a morning sports show on WHBQ-AM), WMC dropped their show to do an hour-long newscast on Sunday nights, and both stations do abbreviated 10pm newscasts on Friday nights (dedicating the rest of the half hour to an extended sports segment).

Somehow I missed that press release. Very interesting - counting Doc WATN will have a pretty big lead in the sports department area compared to the other stations in town. Definite commitment being made there where most stations in the market (and country for that matter) continue to reduce.

WATN doing a Friday night extended segment could also occur, but they do have a leg up in being able to provide that every night if you count WLMT. I do fully expect they will restart a high school Friday football show in the fall which they first dumped a few years ago.

As far as the specials, the specific mention they made last month was 30-minute shows, so if it becomes weekly programs Sunday makes the most sense. In the era when WREG and WMC had Sunday night shows, WPTY aired the U of Memphis's football/basketball coaches shows in that timeslot for ~half the year. WHBQ has since gotten the rights to that however (maybe they might make a play to regain that?)

Morning anchor and "The 504" host Melanie Hebert announced her resignation from WWL-TV. She cites raising her infant son and distance from her husband, who works in Baton Rouge as reasons for stepping down. She says she is moving to Baton Rouge and will take some time off. Her last day is July 23.

Cleveland's FOX8 WJW will debut its 4:00pm newscast beginning Monday. The show, which was announced for the Fall, will be anchored by Gabe Spiegel (formerly at WSYX ABC 6) and Meteorologist Melissa Mack. Mack came back on-air for WJW in May. She left the station in 2009 and began working at Boston’s WBZ in 2010.

For the second straight day, KSEE in Fresno has let go of an anchor. On Monday, it was their noon anchor; the next day, one of their morning personalities—who had been at the station for 28 years—was handed the axe. Looks like Nexstar's consolidation between KSEE and KGPE has reached the on-air talent (several reporting and other departments are already consolidating; production employees could take a while to combine because KSEE, unlike KGPE, has unionized production staffers).

For the second straight day, KSEE in Fresno has let go of an anchor. On Monday, it was their noon anchor; the next day, one of their morning personalities—who had been at the station for 28 years—was handed the axe. Looks like Nexstar's consolidation between KSEE and KGPE has reached the on-air talent (several reporting and other departments are already consolidating; production employees could take a while to combine because KSEE, unlike KGPE, has unionized production staffers).

Oh it's going to be more than that before its all over. Or at least, when they finish construction of the new set at the KSEE facilities in the fall. Even though they say both will have separate brands, anchor pairs and whatever, what I said earlier, I still think we will see some sort of a la Nexstar's Eyewitness News kind of brand where they would end up simulcasting news on both 24 & 47.

I mean anything can happen between now and when the changes get implemented in the fall. And you have to look at Nexstar's very first market where they currently simulcast news on both WYOU & WBRE, and they're 1 DMA higher than Fresno. I wouldn't be shocked if Nexstar would do the same thing in Fresno.

They can just fire the KGPE production staffers then.

As I mentioned before WFAA ABC 8 is adding a 4 p.m. Newscasts coming this fall, well we now know who will anchor News 8 at 4pm; Jason Wheeler who anchors the weekend newscasts will be moved to weekdays. Wheeler will solo anchor the station's new 4 p.m. weekday newscasts. With a likely September start date, WFAA8 will now be competing directly against one-hour 4 p.m. local newscasts on NBC5 and CBS11. Fox4 currently is airing a double dose of Judge Judy from 4 to 5 p.m.

WLNE News Director Resigns

By Kevin Eck on July 9, 2013 9:22 AM

TVSpy has confirmed WLNE news director Robert Rockstroh is leaving the Providence, RI, ABC affiliate.

WLNE vice president and general manager Chris Tzianabos told TVSpy Rockstroh has resigned and will stay on at the station “for a period of time.”

Rockstroh came to WLNE in 2011. Before working at WLNE, Rockstroh was executive producer with Verizon’s FiOS1 News in Rye Brook, NY. He’s also worked at WTIC in Hartford, CT, WKJG in Fort Wayne, IN, KSTP in Minneapolis, MN, KRON and KPIX in San Francisco, CA, and KFMB in San Diego, CA.

Thank god. I hope Abbey Niezgoda is next, very unprofessional reporter (and probably a Rockstroh hire) who embarrassed herself and ABC 6 when she brought bad publicity to the station by getting dogs sicced on her.

Citadel should just sell this station (and their other ones) to Sinclair already. If you thought there was a worse company than Sinclair, there is, and it's Citadel Broadcasting. They treat longtime employees like crap and show them the door (like they did when they first bought WLNE). They also favor recent Emerson College graduates at their stations for some reason...

Thank god. I hope Abbey Niezgoda is next, very unprofessional reporter (and probably a Rockstroh hire) who embarrassed herself and ABC 6 when she brought bad publicity to the station by getting dogs sicced on her.

Citadel should just sell this station (and their other ones) to Sinclair already. If you thought there was a worse company than Sinclair, there is, and it's Citadel Broadcasting. They treat longtime employees like crap and show them the door (like they did when they first bought WLNE). They also favor recent Emerson College graduates at their stations for some reason...

Or Nexstar. But I agree everything you said.

Some minor changes in Norfolk. Noticed last night that WVEC tweaked their on-air branding to "13 News Now". VARTV apparently also mentioning that they will be switching gradually to the "ABC 13" branding for non-news ID's (though maintaining current logo).

Some minor changes in Norfolk. Noticed last night that WVEC tweaked their on-air branding to "13 News Now". VARTV apparently also mentioning that they will be switching gradually to the "ABC 13" branding for non-news ID's (though maintaining current logo).

All the graphics are the same... for now. The new 13News Now logo has popped up in a couple promos. They've also reverted back to the white cube mic flags they were using before.

13NEWS-NOW.png.5be862f548c0c912f00b919f31849bad.png

Guest NewsHound
All the graphics are the same... for now. The new 13News Now logo has popped up in a couple promos. They've also reverted back to the white cube mic flags they were using before.

God I hate that blue marble 13 logo. What was so wrong with the 13 Spirit logo? Also, their graphics are so dated and mismatched. -.- Get it together WVEC.

God I hate that blue marble 13 logo. What was so wrong with the 13 Spirit logo? Also, their graphics are so dated and mismatched. -.- Get it together WVEC.

I think their CG system is terribly dated... the graphics have followed the same basic layout for 10 years (lower thirds, fullscreens).

WVEC's promo graphics are generally fantastic and don't match the look they're using. I feel a change is coming soon.

WVEC got a new CSD (Ed Tudor) last October. So they have been tweaking around with stuff ever since he took over. Also noticed the change in V/O to John Pleisse.

They probably won't get a major change until Gannett takes over and standardizes them on their CG system and graphics.

WRC NBC 4 Sports Director Dan Hellie is leaving the NBC O&O station to join NFL Network. Hellie will begin as host of NFL Total Access next month. No word yet on who will replace Hellie as Sports Director/Anchor.

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvspy/wrc-sports-director-dan-hellie-to-join-nfl-network_b97192

WRC NBC 4 Sports Director Dan Hellie is leaving the NBC O&O station to join NFL Network. Hellie will begin as host of NFL Total Access next month. No word yet on who will replace Hellie as Sports Director/Anchor.

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvspy/wrc-sports-director-dan-hellie-to-join-nfl-network_b97192

I'm guessing that CSN Washington will start formally sourcing WRC's sportscasts... (I haven't watch 4 in a while, so I don't know if thy're doing something already - guess I'll set the DVR tonight...)

Jim

Evrod Cassimy (pronounced kass-uh-mee) from KCNC in Denver (he joined KCNC from WWBT/WUPV here in Richmond back in 2011) will be joining WDIV-Local 4 in Detroit beginning August 12. He'll be the new co-anchor for Local 4 News Today.

Keith Carson from WCSH/WLBZ will be joining The Weather Channel in August. His last day at News Center will be on July 29.

Evrod Cassimy (pronounced kass-uh-mee) from KCNC in Denver (he joined KCNC from WWBT/WUPV here in Richmond back in 2011) will be joining WDIV-Local 4 in Detroit beginning August 12. He'll be the new co-anchor for Local 4 News Today.

I liked Evrod. I really wish KCNC could hold onto some decent talent for a while. It seems like for the last few years, they've continuously hired some promising young reporters, only to see them leave for other markets. Dominic Garcia left for KFMB, Ty Brennan left for KSAZ, and Michelle Griego left for KPIX, among others. I wouldn't say that other stations in town have this problem.

http://www.salisburypost.com/article/20130717/SP01/130719747/1016/rss02/salisburys-garner-will-be-leaving-wbtv-for-columbus-ohio?source=RSS

Katie Garner leaving WBTV for the ABC affiliate in Columbus, OH. She wanted something full-time. This opportunity fell into her lap. I will miss her traffic reports and her weather forecasts on the noon news.

A lot of people leaving Charlotte TV stations lately!

• rkolsen pinned, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • rkolsen locked this topic
  • rkolsen unlocked and pinned this topic