Out & About

TexasTVNews

And just as those numbers come out, it appears as if WDJT may have shot themselves in the foot with their story on pitbulls last night, which ignited a social media firestorm. I have never seen so many posts against a news station, calling them "biased", "idiots", and my personal favorite, "narrow minded inbreds".

It also sparked this image popping up all over Facebook.

10639350_10204915643628560_8737910816842967628_n.jpg?oh=fde4240ac846768e756ca553fd524264&oe=54F013A3

Ouch.

https://www.facebook.com/CBS58/posts_to_page

And here is the story:

http://www.cbs58.com/story/27349435/are-pit-bulls-a-dangerous-breed

I don't think it will hurt them. Dog owners, and especially pit bull owners, are unusually loyal and defensive. I'll bet some of those posters aren't regular WDJT viewers anyway. Anytime we air a dog-mauling story, we get calls/emails from people who say "I don't normally watch your station, but...".

Perhaps the least surprising news ever. After being taken off the anchor desk, which clearly that wasn't his decision, I knew he would be leaving at the first opportunity available. He'll land somewhere else I'm sure, don't know whether it will be in the Memphis market however. Best of luck to him.

http://www.local10.com/news/local-10s-trent-aric-proposes-to-jacey-birch/29697964

Trent Aric (Weekend Meterologist and Former Chief) proposes to Jacey Birch (Morning anchor) at WPLG. Very unique way of doing it. Congratulations to both of them.

I know this wasn't live, but I'm not usually a fan of these TV proposals, but that was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ADORABLE.

Now excuse me while I pick my manliness up off the floor.

EDIT: I just thought about this, I don't know if it's 100% certain that David Chandley will end up over at WAGA come the new year as the new Chief met, but if it isn't, is it possible he could end up over at WGCL instead?

Chandley at WAGA is already locked in; now we're waiting for the promos to start running during the holidays (something like, "David Chandley joins the Fox 5 Storm Team...coming in January!").

And besides, after years and years of being only second banana to Glenn Burns, he's better off at the #2 station in Atlanta (actually #1 in the 18-49s) rather than #4.

WTVJ Joe Rose to retire in December:

http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/NBC-6s-Joe-Rose-to-Retire-in-December-275354971.html

Great sports anchor and a unique personality. I would also say considering he has worked as the morning host on 560 WQAM and is a commentator on Dolphins broadcasts, best time to slow down.

WTVJ Joe Rose to retire in December:

http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/NBC-6s-Joe-Rose-to-Retire-in-December-275354971.html

Great sports anchor and a unique personality. I would also say considering he has worked as the morning host on 560 WQAM and is a commentator on Dolphins broadcasts, best time to slow down.

I bet CBS had a say in this. Remember they're buying WQAM and they also own WFOR. They probably don't want him working on their competitor and likely told him to choose between TV and radio.

It wouldn't surprise me if they addressed Adam Kuperstein soon enough as well.

Perhaps the least surprising news ever. After being taken off the anchor desk, which clearly that wasn't his decision, I knew he would be leaving at the first opportunity available. He'll land somewhere else I'm sure, don't know whether it will be in the Memphis market however. Best of luck to him.

Am I alone in thinking that he may return to Phoenix -- perhaps even KTVK, where he anchored between 1986 and 1995?

KTVK/KPHO's got a logjam of talent it needs to fix, especially given the consolidation. I don't know if he jumps into that.

I agree with Raymie -- there really is no place for him in Phoenix right now. KTVK/KPHO is full. ABC15 seems happy with Steve Irwin. Fox 10 has a bunch of senior people. KPNX seems happy with Mark Curtis. No room in Phoenix at all...

I agree with Raymie -- there really is no place for him in Phoenix right now. KTVK/KPHO is full. ABC15 seems happy with Steve Irwin. Fox 10 has a bunch of senior people. KPNX seems happy with Mark Curtis. No room in Phoenix at all...

He had a brief stint with KNXV right after 9/11 occurred. I'm not sure he left the station on amicable terms.

Fox 10 has a bunch of senior people.

Yeah, I think they have the oldest news crew among all Fox O&Os. Except for Kari Lake, all five of their main weeknight evening anchors were hired before the station joined Fox (Dave Munsey in 1975), three of the four weekend evening personalities have been with the station 10 years or more, and two of their morning people are longtime fixtures in Phoenix TV (joined by a weatherman with 13 years of tenure at the station). This is also a station where I don't think any of the three weathercasters on staff has a meteorological seal, either.

I watch KSAZ a lot, and I've always kind of noticed the tension between the younger Fox format (graphics, music, even the supermodern set) and the older news presenters.

http://awfulannouncing.com/the-locker/dc-news-anchor-bails-redskins.html

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvspy/washington-d-c-anchor-tells-washington-redskins-im-out_b134150

Tony Perkins frustration with the Redskins.

More stunned to hear one of Washington's recognizable anchors literally voice his frustration. Granted I would too if my team was 6-21 since going to the playoffs.

He had a brief stint with KNXV right after 9/11 occurred. I'm not sure he left the station on amicable terms.

Indeed. I seem to remember that there was some controversy regarding a Regional Emmy that Harper won for an investigative piece, but a producer later claimed that he or she did most of the work. Does anyone know the details about what happened -- and why Harper decided to leave KNXV? (Or was he forced out?)

I know that he left KTVK in '95 because he didn't like the changes the station was making after losing its ABC affiliation.

tvspy is reporting that Carey Pena is leaving KTVK because she could not come to a suitable contract agreement with management. This is probably a result of the sale of KTVK to Meredith and the large combined news staff, many of which may not needed in a combined news organization.

tvspy is reporting that Carey Pena is leaving KTVK because she could not come to a suitable contract agreement with management. This is probably a result of the sale of KTVK to Meredith and the large combined news staff, many of which may not needed in a combined news organization.

And earlier this week Kaley O'Kelley announced she's headed to Dallas. Now we really are feeling the effects.

And earlier this week Kaley O'Kelley announced she's headed to Dallas. Now we really are feeling the effects.

Ed Munson wants to keep his own (KPHO) people for the most part. That may not be a good sign for the future of KTVK's top rated "Good Morning Arizona." The KPHO casts just don't have the viewer loyalty KTVK has.

Ed Munson wants to keep his own (KPHO) people for the most part. That may not be a good sign for the future of KTVK's top rated "Good Morning Arizona." The KPHO casts just don't have the viewer loyalty KTVK has.

This is really sad. Kaley is one of the key players on GMAZ...and Carey Pena was the main female evening anchor. While CBS 5 News is decent, I just haven't warmed up to their news team over the years. Futhermore, GMAZ is a top-rated newscast in Phoenix, is Murray just willing to give that up?

Hasn't former Good Morning Arizona anchor Tara Hitchcock been doing some weekly segments for KPHO? Perhaps Tara comes back to GMAZ? It could make sense if she anchored from 7am to 10am for the less newsy part of GMAZ. As some have suggested, we may see CBS 5's team from 4:30-7am (simulcast on KPHO and KTVK) and GMAZ on KTVK from 7am to 10am.

I'm waiting for them to rebrand the news to something like "Arizona News Now". You could have "Arizona News Now on CBS 5" and "Arizona News Now on 3TV".

Here we go again: WATN Chief Meteorologist Paul Williams' bio page has disappeared from their website as of this afternoon. This is in advance of Lauren Raymer's return to mornings from maternity leave on Monday, with Sean Parker likely to return to weekends. While not confirmed, it seems very possible that Williams has now been fully let go from WATN with John Bryant perhaps becoming the station's new chief, as he has been on all of the weekday evening newscasts during November sweeps.

Another Phoenix news anchor is out: Connie Colla, currently at KNXV and one-time anchor at other stations (I know KPNX and somewhere in Philly), is going to start her own consulting firm.

What a week or two it's been in Phoenix. Can't recall this much instability in quite some time.

Well, I'm not totally surprised since we had that incident where Colla's bio disappeared off the KNXV website a couple of months ago (it magically reappeared the following day). The good news is that KNXV has a potential replacement hidden in plain sight (i.e. currently anchoring The Now @ 4). So, I wonder if Yetta Gibson slides into the morning anchor position to replace Connie.

Phoenix has had QUITE a week -- 2 morning anchors and 1 evening anchor departing.

• rkolsen pinned, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • rkolsen locked this topic
  • rkolsen unlocked and pinned this topic