Out & About

TexasTVNews

Based on a promo that just aired on WATN, WLBT morning anchor Brandon Artiles has been hired as weeknight co-anchor alongside Katina Rankin. So I guess recreating WLBT's morning show for Memphis is the strategy they have been building toward this last year!

Newscasts expansion is coming to Baltimore.

WBAL NBC 11 has expanded its 10PM newscasts to weekends on TV11 subchannel 11.2 (MeTV), but it is still to be a half hour newscasts. And FOX 45 WBFF is adding a 4:00PM newscast beginning January 12th. It will go head-to-head with WJZ 13 with its 4PM newscasts, we don't know if WBFF's 4PM news will be a half hour or a full hour.

http://changingnewscasts.wordpress.com/

http://www.soapoperanetwork.com/2014/10/former-passions-star-charles-divins-becomes-local-nbc-news-anchor

Charles Divins, an actor who's worked in soap opera as well as co-hosted The Daily Buzz, has landed a co-anchor position on the morning news on WDSU. He starts Monday (October 27). To my knowledge, this would be Divins' first time in a news anchor spot at a local network TV station.

http://www.soapoperanetwork.com/2014/10/former-passions-star-charles-divins-becomes-local-nbc-news-anchor

Charles Divins, an actor who's worked in soap opera as well as co-hosted The Daily Buzz, has landed a co-anchor position on the morning news on WDSU. He starts Monday (October 27). To my knowledge, this would be Divins' first time in a news anchor spot at a local network TV station.

Divins famously played Chad Crane on the NBC soap Opera Passions

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but I noticed KALB (and its DT2) have new logos, and I believe new graphics as well. All traces of the Media General legacy are gone now.

Better, but not by much. The L3s are still hideously designed and far too big, and the animated bug is far too distracting.

And considering how badly mutated the legacy MediaGeneral logo design had become...

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but I noticed KALB (and its DT2) have new logos, and I believe new graphics as well. All traces of the Media General legacy are gone now.

Not only new graphics (Belo ripoffs) but Bob Tracey is now the VO.

Speaking of Gray, KGNS [FINALLY!!!!!] has new graphics.

Sounds like cheap production music. Well, it's better than the stuff their in-house guy came up with. (I honestly think he also did the 2012 theme which sounds like a refined version of the 2011 theme). These moves probably came from Gray corporate since the station management is the same. Also Bob Tracey isn't the best VO but is a huge improvement over Jason Davis who sounds like a guy they found off the street and handed him the copy and told him, "read this".

Wow... Skip Waters, chief meteorologist at WCTI in Greenville NC passed away suddenly, he was 61.

http://www.wcti12.com/news/skip-waters-19532014/29395128

Oh man...this stuff always hurts, no matter who it is on what station. I've never watched WCTI or even been to that region. But it's always a tough time when this stuff happens. RIP Skip. You will be dearly missed.

WNCT and WITN have passed along their condolences.

One of my Favorite people that I got the pleasure of knowing is leaving Pittsburgh to go to Detroit. It was announce that KDKA midday and early evening anchor Kimberly Gill has taken a reporting/ fill-in anchor position at WDIV. Her last day will be Nov. 7. It without a doubt that she will be missed in the Burgh, and I am kinda shocked of her accepting a reporting position but I guess being in a market 12 was part of her decision. http://ftvlive.com/todays-news/2014/10/29/pittsburgh-anchor-headed-to-motown

Wow... Skip Waters, chief meteorologist at WCTI in Greenville NC passed away suddenly, he was 61.

http://www.wcti12.com/news/skip-waters-19532014/29395128

Just heard about Skip's passing a few minutes ago on WTIB-FM. Adding my thoughts and prayers for his family and the WCTI staff that must be in total shock right now.

So, I'm watching the debut newscast on WATN with Katina Rankin and Brandon Artiles anchoring, and interestingly John Bryant is the meteorologist on duty. He's even a part of the talent intro. He's not being called chief meteorologist, but is it possible they have moved Paul Williams to another position/time?

I see too on their website that John Bryant is now listed "above" Paul Williams as part of the weather team, though again Paul is still referred to as the chief. I wonder if they're pulling a WHBQ and doing some sort of alternate scheduling.

So Paul Williams was in the studio today. He recorded the website's online forecasts (http://www.clipsyndicate.com/video/play/5421833), and he refers to himself as chief at the end of the video. Yet John Bryant was on all of the evening newscasts, at least on WATN. Don't know about WLMT's 9 PM. I'm not sure at this point what's going on.

Well WORA-TV sub-channel ABC 5 has opened for business. As of Midnight Tonight (joining In progress: jimmy kimmel live), transmissions began on 5.2 across Puerto Rico, as well the 're-launch' of the ABC 5 website. http://abc5.tv It seems incomplete, but there's a schedule page which showcased some off-network programming listings. If that is the case, then the channel has the rights to older off-network comedy reruns, including 'the nanny' and 'who's the boss' in the morning after GMA, and 'mad about you' and 'just shoot me' in the afternoon. There's also 'Ripley's believe it or not' (probably the dean cain/Kelly Packard version in the 90s/00s) after GH. I'm not sure if they're picking up any FIRST-RUN syndication shows at this time, as a poster suggested to pick up any show like Judge Mathis since not a lot of court shows air at least on local/cable affiliates serving Puerto Rico. Right now they're airing Eyewitness News from WABC, but they'll produce two local English speaking newscasts alongside a local access prime talk show hosted by a former Univision Puerto Rico morning co-host who was part of a large layoff due to Univision shutting down its local operations, transitioning the affiliate into a repeater for the network.

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/ABC5PuertoRico

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ABC5PuertoRico

...Right now they're airing Eyewitness News from WABC, but they'll produce two local English speaking newscasts alongside a local access prime talk show hosted by a former Univision Puerto Rico morning co-host...

So their local news is going completely to English?

@Raymie: they'll be two English speaking newscasts at 6p (or 7p) and 11p (or 12a) by early 2015, and from what I've read one Spanish speaking newscast, not sure for what time. I think it's unprecedented though, local talent anchoring in English? How receptive will the concept be amongst the local aundience in a country that's Spanish dominant? Though Puerto Rico can be considered a bilingual nation in part due to numerous businesses where English is a necessity. Don't forget it's also an American territory, thus making Puerto Ricans as Americans as well. Maybe Raymie, you can assess how much of an English speaking population in PR is there. I think like the third or fourth generations of latinos in the u.s. whose English is their primary language, probably (second or) third or fourth generations of Puerto Ricans may have English as their primary language.

@Raymie: they'll be two English speaking newscasts at 6p (or 7p) and 11p (or 12a) by early 2015, and from what I've read one Spanish speaking newscast, not sure for what time. I think it's unprecedented though, local talent anchoring in English? How receptive will the concept be amongst the local aundience in a country that's Spanish dominant? Though Puerto Rico can be considered a bilingual nation in part due to numerous businesses where English is a necessity. Don't forget it's also an American territory, thus making Puerto Ricans as Americans as well. Maybe Raymie, you can assess how much of an English speaking population in PR is there. I think like the third or fourth generations of latinos in the u.s. whose English is their primary language, probably (second or) third or fourth generations of Puerto Ricans may have English as their primary language.

I'm going to quote David Eduardo from RadioDiscussions on the topic of English and PR, because PR is not my specialty:

25 years ago, there were still plenty of people in the sales demos who grew up when bilingual education was mandatory in public schools. Today, it's been abut 50 years since that was required. So there are fewer bilinguals than ever before in the last 100 years. Further, much of the bilingual middle class has migrated off Island and the number of remaining Continentals is minimal.

"WPRU" had the rights to People's Court, but Storefront/LKK/whatever "WPRU"'s owners call themselves now, will probably just move it to "WSJX" (Fox) or WSJP-LD (CW).

And I put the calls in quotations, 'cause both WPRU-LP and WSJX-LP have been silent for over a year and a half. They're both just branded subchannels of WSJP-LD now, if WPRU's even exists anymore.

As for the language thing, it's frequently said here that only about 1/4 of Puerto Ricans are actually bilingual.

I'd say a good portion after that 1/4 can read, write, and understand English pretty well. Speaking it, however, is another thing entirely. That's thanks to the public education system which for decades, when it comes to English, has had a strong emphasis on reading, vocabulary, and grammar, but very little on oral communication. Basically, most bilinguals here are either mainlanders (be they of Puerto Rican decent or not), have spent time on the mainland, or just studied in private schools.

• rkolsen pinned, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • rkolsen locked this topic
  • rkolsen unlocked and pinned this topic