Out & About

TexasTVNews

This sportscaster was fired for saying farewell to two co-workers who were leaving the station. Station is KNOP which has seen changes lately now that they are owned by Gray.

[yt]EFmI2Vz11Cc[/yt]

Here's an article to give you more context: http://www.northplattebulletin.com/index.asp?show=news&action=readStory&storyID=28780&pageID=3

Also another sportscaster was fired but this time in Fargo: http://www.mediabistro.com/tvspy/fargo-sports-director-faces-felony-assault-charges_b131787

This sportscaster was fired for saying farewell to two co-workers who were leaving the station. Station is KNOP which has seen changes lately now that they are owned by Gray.

[yt]EFmI2Vz11Cc[/yt]

Here's an article to give you more context: http://www.northplattebulletin.com/index.asp?show=news&action=readStory&storyID=28780&pageID=3

Also another sportscaster was fired but this time in Fargo: http://www.mediabistro.com/tvspy/fargo-sports-director-faces-felony-assault-charges_b131787

I was going to post a thread about this but forgot. The way he said it made it sound like two people were retiring rather than being fired. As for the sportscaster I wonder if this could be considered wrongful termination if he had a clean record. This makes me wonder if he went off script leaving the persons in the booth blindsided or if it was placed in the rundown and a producer signed off on it?

They won't be shut down, as what I heard they would be a network repeater. Here's a photo of what happened today at their newsroom.

B0KVcYmCUAEydCo.jpg

Sounds like WLII will turn into a Univision equivalent of CW+ where those stations just take the feed and don't do anything with it.

Univision already had cut weekend news there, which prompted Telemundo PR to add weekend news ahead of schedule.

Some other bullet points from the Spanish article:

• 109 employees are affected by the decision; the final newscasts have already aired. Just one local show will be on.
  • The management structure will combine radio and TV units.
  • "The layoffs are part of a national strategy by Univision to make itself more attractive for a sale, according to a source."

I would also imagine Telemundo PR expanded their news output because of the overall expansion of news. But wasn't some expansion of minority content required by the Comcast NBCU deal? I'd imagine some employees will be hired by WKAQ.

I would also imagine Telemundo PR expanded their news output because of the overall expansion of news. But wasn't some expansion of minority content required by the Comcast NBCU deal? I'd imagine some employees will be hired by WKAQ.

It had been planned to launch next year but it was moved up specifically because of the cuts at Univisión. And in fact WKAQ has already scooped up talent from channel 11.

[yt]EFmI2Vz11Cc[/yt]

The people running the station are idiots. Here was their response to this whole thing:

A few days later, Swift was fired. He said management called him in Wednesday and said they didn’t want the viewing audience to get the impression that the two employees were forced out, and Swift might have left that impression.

I didn't get the impression of that initially watching that video, but the fact they said that when no one else brought that up really does make me wonder. Quite a stupid overreaction, these kind of goodbye's happen all the time in the business.

In January 2015, almost all of Arizona's major television stations will simulcast a report on heroin produced by the journalism school at Arizona State University. In total 32 stations will air the program.

In Phoenix, KTVK, KPHO, KAZT, KAET, KSAZ, KPNX/KNAZ, KNXV, KUTP, KASW, KTVW, KFPH, KTAZ and KPAZ (!!!!) will air the report.

For Tucson, KVOA, KUAT/KUAS, KGUN, KMSB, KOLD, KTTU, KUVE and KHRR are all lined up. (This does not include KWBA.)

In Yuma, all stations in the NPG Yuma cluster will air the program including all digital subchannels. (Notably, Entravision's stations are missing. I believe they are run from California, so they are not be members of the Arizona Broadcasters' Association.)

The people running the station are idiots. Here was their response to this whole thing:

A few days later, Swift was fired. He said management called him in Wednesday and said they didn’t want the viewing audience to get the impression that the two employees were forced out, and Swift might have left that impression.

I didn't get the impression of that initially watching that video, but the fact they said that when no one else brought that up really does make me wonder. Quite a stupid overreaction, these kind of goodbye's happen all the time in the business.

They were upset that some people may have thought they forced out two employees, so what do they do? They force out an employee!

In January 2015, almost all of Arizona's major television stations will simulcast a report on heroin produced by the journalism school at Arizona State University. In total 32 stations will air the program.

In Phoenix, KTVK, KPHO, KAZT, KAET, KSAZ, KPNX/KNAZ, KNXV, KUTP, KASW, KTVW, KFPH, KTAZ and KPAZ (!!!!) will air the report.

For Tucson, KVOA, KUAT/KUAS, KGUN, KMSB, KOLD, KTTU, KUVE and KHRR are all lined up. (This does not include KWBA.)

In Yuma, all stations in the NPG Yuma cluster will air the program including all digital subchannels. (Notably, Entravision's stations are missing. I believe they are run from California, so they are not be members of the Arizona Broadcasters' Association.)

It's a huge issue and I love what ASU is doing. But it is a tad bit extreme to have every station in the state air the report.

It appears that WVNY and WFFF have refreshed graphics, but not new ones. And they still use whatever production music it is from 2009 that I can't find.

The final installment of the Akron Beacon Journal's 6 part expose on the Ernest Angley ministry ran in today's paper:

http://www.ohio.com/news/local/ernest-angley-s-for-profit-grace-cathedral-buffet-using-volunteer-labor-again-after-feds-said-to-stop-1.533069

From forced vasectomies, abortions, brainwashing, molestation, alienation, talking about the massive expense of running a 747, and now, one of their subsidiaries forcing employees to be "volunteers"...it doesn't paint a pretty picture for the future of WBNX as a TV station, especially if these allegations are true.

One of these "volunteers" claimed to work for WBNX, where he wasn't paid at all. Those who were paid were paid at minimum wage and only paid for 40 hours a week, while being forced to clock out "on time" and forced to "volunteer" another 10 hours a week in lieu of being properly compensated for overtime.

And this wasn't the first time they've been caught doing this. Back in 1999, after a dispute with two "volunteers", one stabbed the other to death, the labor issue was brought to light, "resolved", and when the feds stopped looking, they went back to doing things the way they've been done.

If some of these allegations in this article are true, and they've been fudging timecards and even EEO reports, then WBNX is in deep, deep, trouble.

Could employee issues like these be grounds for the FCC to revoke their license? Essentially, WBNX and the Cathedal Buffet are for-profit enterprises that keep the Ernest Angley Ministry alive (along with all of the suckers who send in a check every month!) Perhaps this place is so screwed up, that no one wants to buy this station and why it remains as one of the last stand-alone CW affiliates in the country outside of the top 10 markets.

Broadcasting LEGEND Luther Masingill has passed away at the age of 92.

http://www.wdef.com/news/story/News-12-s-Luther-Masingill-Passes-Away-at-Age-92/QYD1o5j1D0Kg4bpaIJ84rQ.cspx

Not only did he have a broadcast career in radio and TV that spanned SEVEN decades, he had the unique distinction of covering BOTH Pearl Harbor and the 9/11 terrorist attacks.

Here's an update on Joe Swift, the sportscaster fired for saying farewell to two co-workers. According to him, he was fired over Skype.

http://www.nptelegraph.com/news/local_news/former-sports-director-keeps-options-open/article_a6a0c595-b3bf-569b-8e5d-a4375ba114ea.html

That's a pretty tacky way of handling it from 10/11's part. It looks like they were looking for an excuse to fire him.

Interesting read about what's going on at the Sinclair duop here. Sylvia Rincon is the latest to leave. Many staffers are worried WOAI is getting preferential treatment over KABB and that the "small tight knit family" KABB once was is becoming more like a business. Not sure I'd agree with that assessment as a viewer. KABB seems to get more preferential treatment on the air, the quality of WOAI's promos are lowering to that of KABB's standard, and so on. (WOAI had some great promos while they were a separate entity, now they are poor quality much like KABB's were prior to the buyout).

Content wise, WOAI far and away has the best newscast in the market, and the newscasts here aren't that good to begin with honestly.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/entertainment/entertainment_columnists/jeanne_jakle/article/KABB-exits-mount-as-another-news-vet-quits-5835411.php

Interesting read about what's going on at the Sinclair duop here. Sylvia Rincon is the latest to leave. Many staffers are worried WOAI is getting preferential treatment over KABB and that the "small tight knit family" KABB once was is becoming more like a business. Not sure I'd agree with that assessment as a viewer. KABB seems to get more preferential treatment on the air, the quality of WOAI's promos are lowering to that of KABB's standard, and so on. (WOAI had some great promos while they were a separate entity, now they are poor quality much like KABB's were prior to the buyout).

Content wise, WOAI far and away has the best newscast in the market, and the newscasts here aren't that good to begin with honestly.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/entertainment/entertainment_columnists/jeanne_jakle/article/KABB-exits-mount-as-another-news-vet-quits-5835411.php

Sounds like she liked being a big fish in a small pond and now she's a tadpole in the ocean.

I mean one would think that because WOAI/4 the more established station would get the preferential treatment over KABB. I hate that these two have to combine because 4 needed some better owners Raycom or Media General would of been a great fit for them.

FOX 29 was growing in different areas, but what that market didn't need was a combo station that Sinclair just love. WOAI/KMOL have suffer for so long that once they merge I'm sure Sinclair will invest in the station, but I do hope Randy Beamer will still be the mainstay at Channel 4 he's the face of that stations brand. However I always felt both KENS & KSAT both had the better newscast in San Antonio market, where KSAT is flashy, where KENS was more laid back.

Sounds like she liked being a big fish in a small pond and now she's a tadpole in the ocean.

I agree. I've actually met her on multiple occasions, she's always seems to have come across as stuck-up and arrogant. Not very friendly. Fake personality on air when she has to fill in for Monica Taylor.

I mean one would think that because WOAI/4 the more established station would get the preferential treatment over KABB. I hate that these two have to combine because 4 needed some better owners Raycom or Media General would of been a great fit for them.

FOX 29 was growing in different areas, but what that market didn't need was a combo station that Sinclair just love. WOAI/KMOL have suffer for so long that once they merge I'm sure Sinclair will invest in the station, but I do hope Randy Beamer will still be the mainstay at Channel 4 he's the face of that stations brand. However I always felt both KENS & KSAT both had the better newscast in San Antonio market, where KSAT is flashy, where KENS was more laid back.

I've never found KENS or KSAT to have a great product. KENS has broken many journalistic ethics just to break a story and I've seen it happen first hand. I'm not going to go into further detail there but ever since that particular incident happened with them I refuse to watch them, aside from the obligatory check-ins to see how Gannett is driving them further into the ground running them.

I grew up with KSAT because that's what my parents watched. It's too flashy and blood and guts for my taste. Station's feel is stale due to same CSD since 1997. They also have a horrid announcer who tries too hard to be Scott Chapin and actually that VO is part of the reason why I try not to watch KSAT.

Honestly out of all the owners who bid on the Newport stations I thought WOAI would've ended up with Nexstar. I think Nexstar would've given 5 & 12 a run for their money but I'm guessing Sinclair outbid Nexstar. LIN would've been great too to given lonely KXAN some company. But, unfortunately we're stuck with more Sinclair.

WOAI's primary team is actually pretty solid now. Randy Beamer is far and away the best anchor in the market, Evy Ramos has an excellent chemistry with Beamer and is also the best female anchor in the market right behind Beamer. She just came in one day and fits right in. Actually she has the same personality as Beamer so it works out great. Right balance of personality, charisma and seriousness and I hope they stay as a duo for years to come. Easily the best team in the market. Delaine Mathieu is very personable and is one of the nicest anchors you'll meet. Albert Flores and Don Harris are longtime mainstays of San Antonio news.

With that, WOAI has a powerful evening team they can capitalize on, unlike KENS who changes their male anchors every couple years (let's see if Jeff Goldblatt's contract gets renewed, I don't think so, and actually I haven't seen him on the air lately), or KABB who is in flux with their talent and their primary anchor has been here less than six months and is honestly a little tough to watch. She didn't have much chemistry with Michael Valdes either and actually I do think it was his decision to leave. He seems so much happier being out of there.

I think what Blaise Labbe needs to look at, is to stop hiring so much out-of-market talent and hire more San Antonio market veterans or natives of the area, who are bound to stay longer. I will give them props for hiring Ashlei King, who's from the area. Hopefully they will make more hires like that in the future.

Prior to all the recent M&A activities, San Antonio was a very stable TV market but lately all these people are leaving and we're getting cheap-rate small market talent that are frankly not great and don't even want to be here and just leave when then contract is up. KSAT just hired a weekend morning reporter from Tyler, TX and honestly I think she's too green for this market, doesn't have a great on-camera presence. Like I would've liked to see Vicki Buffolino resurface somewhere locally, or even Leslie Komet who WOAI used as a holiday fill-in last year.

In any which case, there's a lot going on in this market and I don't think we've seen the last of it.

Ouch, that IS Scott Chapin. He's getting worse with age.

no, it's not. Scott Chapin sounds great still and he'll still do the occasional promo, but they've been phasing in this new guy for a while (2009 is when they started using him), I think he's local because I've never heard him elsewhere:

[yt]Y1LGyNqTljM[/yt]

The four reasons I generally don't watch 12 anymore:

1. You can't go five seconds on the station without hearing "Expect More.". KSAT has promoted the living hell out of that slogan.
  2. Horrible VO as seen above. It's sad a VO is one of the reasons you won't watch a station, but he's pretty bad. Heck, Eric Gordon is far better than him.
  3. David Cuccio = stale promos/feel of station
  4. Poor quality newscast.

Hopefully when they get their new set, they will also pick a logo and stick with it. If I'm not mistaken they use three different logos, the two in that video and then one on their site which I think is also used in the opens...

Not to mention that they use Signature for their opens and Overture for everything else.

The logo that they use in the L3 is nice. The other two are utter BS.

• rkolsen pinned, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • rkolsen locked this topic
  • rkolsen unlocked and pinned this topic