Out & About

TexasTVNews

Last night on James Spann's Weather Brains podcast, Kevin Selle broke the news that he will be the new chief meteorologist at KFDX replacing popular meteorologist Skip McBride when he retires later this year. Selle was last the chief meteorologist at Texas Cable News. Kind of a fall to go from DMA #5 to DMA #145 but I guess that's the state of the business now. Good luck to Kevin. I used to watch him on TXCN back when I still had Time Warner and he's pretty good.

Also, Nexstar has moved WMBB to their new webpage, mypanhandle.com. No clue what KREX's new site will be.

Speaking of Nexstar, I have no idea how we missed this. MyNetworkTV programming in Springfield, MO, which was originally a secondary affiliation on KRBK, has moved to KOZL. In addition, KRBK is now "Fox 5".

Now if only KRBK will beef up their newscasts. Right now they only have a 10-minute long one at 9PM.

Speaking of Nexstar' date=' I have no idea how we missed this. MyNetworkTV programming in Springfield, MO, which was originally a secondary affiliation on KRBK, has moved to KOZL. In addition, KRBK is now "Fox 5".

Why would it be FOX 5 when it's on varying cable channel numbers across the market:

Mediacom Springfield - Channel 10 (5 is KSPR-DT2 CW)

Charter Osage Beach - Channel 4 (5 is religious indie KNLJ Columbia)

Suddenlink Branson - Channel 9 (5 is Branson Visitor TV)

Cox Harrison AR - Channel 5

"FOX Ozarks" would be a better brand.

Starting Monday, KOKI will join KTUL in starting its' morning newscast at 4:30a.

Former KMIR anchor Elizabeth Beaubien is joining KJRH as its' new morning anchor, also starting Monday.

Speaking of that market,

RIP, Palmer News Package. You will be missed.

Over the summer Nexstar's ABC station in Erie, PA (WJET-TV) Changed the first few minutes of their morning newscast slightly. Probably to compete with Lilly Broadcasting's NBC station WICU, who as of February 2014, was #1 in the morning.

One change, during the Forecast First segment on WJET, the meteorologist doesn't stand in front of the green screen anymore. He stays at the weather center. And at the end of the Forecast First he always says something like "it's time to start the show" This morning he said, something like, "it's time to start Monday's show" or something like that.

The 2nd change is after the open. The meteorologist sits with the morning anchor while they give a quick tease/chat about the stories coming up. Sometimes they have their one of their morning reporters/ weekend anchor sitting at the desk giving a tease of HIS story coming up.

There are two more changes as well. They now have mugs that have WJET's logo on it. Another change is, on September 1, they expanded their morning newscast from 5:30 to 5. Once again, probably to compete with WICU whose started at 5 for as long as I can remember. Our crap CBS station (and I mean crap) still remains lame and starts their newscast at 6 with an okay meteorologist and anchor. (Our CBS station is WSEE if you want to look it up)

I have only seen the first 15 minutes of the 6:30 edition so I don't know if it varies from any other editions. (Probably not because they aren't that creative in the morning)

Our FOX station WFXP which is operated by WJET has a morning newscast from 8-9am, which according to wikipedia, has aired since September 2007.

Anchor Heather Van Nest has left WTSP...

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvspy/heather-van-nest-leaves-wtsp_b130363

http://www.tampabay.com/features/media/heather-van-nest-off-the-air-at-wtsp-in-tampa/2200266

...meaning Dion Lim will anchor the 6 and 11pm news with Reginald Roundtree. Courtney Robinson (formerly of WZVN) will anchor the 5pm with Lim and the 5:30pm news with Roundtree. She'll also report at 11pm.

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvspy/wtsp-promotes-and-adds-anchor-and-reporter_b130530

Looks like the virtual set revolution hit Morris-owned WTVQ yesterday...

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvspy/wtvq-launches-good-day-kentucky_b130581

“Good Day Kentucky” will mark the first time in the Lexington market that a local news program has been shot almost entirely on a virtual set.

“We feel that virtual sets are the future of news programming and ‘Good Day Kentucky’ is an exciting step forward for our station and our market,” said WTVQ news director Steven France, who has overseen the implementation of the new technology.

Hopefully it's better than this at their sister station in NC...

[yt]lwoQ1QBp3XU[/yt]

KHOU's radio partner (mainly to provide them with weather updates), News92 FM (KROI) has discontinued the all-news format. The radio station, now know as B92, is transitioning to a R&B music format. But in the interim, KROI's format is All Beyonce.

http://www.khou.com/story/news/local/2014/10/08/news-92-fm-no-longer-on-the-air/16909529/

WJBK weekend evening anchor / weekday reporter Robin Schwartz is leaving after 17 years. She is taking a job as Director of Communications at Bedrock Real Estate. This is the third anchor/host to leave WJBK since August, 2 of whom were hired when FOX spruced the place up around 1996 and one from the New World days.

• rkolsen pinned, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • rkolsen locked this topic
  • rkolsen unlocked and pinned this topic