Out & About

TexasTVNews

CBS: No affiliate (it's certainly possible LKK Group attempts to secure a CBS affiliation for WPRU, though they lost it on one of their Virgin Islands stations five years ago)

Fox: WSJX-LP, San Juan, carried in digital on a subchannel of co-owned WPRU

NBC: WKAQ and semi-satellite WOLE, as a digital subchannel (note that WKAQ is a Telemundo O&O)

Don't forget WSJP-LP (geez such low power stations under one group) for the CW, another subchannel of WPRU. Are there other vacant full power stations out there in PR for a company to acquire or is the island THAT small for many transmitters to exist?

Don't forget WSJP-LP (geez such low power stations under one group) for the CW, another subchannel of WPRU. Are there other vacant full power stations out there in PR for a company to acquire or is the island THAT small for many transmitters to exist?

Puerto Rico is a really odd one. While it's certainly small (it's smaller than Connecticut but larger than Delaware), there are many low-powered stations and they are packed in quite tightly.

It has three main regions: western (Mayagüez), central-southern (Ponce) and northeastern (San Juan). To be statewide you need to get into all three of those areas.

At one point, WLII had retransmission agreements with four stations: WSUR-TV (channel 9), WSTE (channel 7 with boosters across the island, distributed transmission system), WORA and WNJX (also in Mayagüez but WORA had a better transmitter site). This combo of "11-9-7-5-22" was so powerful that the FCC admonished WLII which dropped WNJX (now a WAPA repeater) and WSTE (now in duopoly with WLII under Univision ownership).

WKAQ, WAPA, WORA, WIPM, WSTE and WLII — along with any TV station worth its salt in Puerto Rico — all have transmission systems that enable them to reach island-wide coverage either through distributed transmission systems, semi-satellites or full-fledged satellites. To demonstrate this would require a major digression and probably a very large table. It's boricua craziness, I'll say that much.

http://www.cbs19.tv/story/26579422/new-cbs19-anchor-returns-to-east-texas-roots

Mike Landess, who has worked in several markets including DFW, Houston, Atlanta, and Washington DC, begins co-anchoring duties Monday at KYTX. Landess last anchored for 12 years in Denver; in his 50-year career he has received 5 Edward R. Murrow awards and 24 news Emmys. He attended high school down the street from the KYTX studios so this move is a bit of a homecoming for Landess.

He replaces Justin Earley, who has been a co-anchor at KYTX since 2011.

http://www.cbs19.tv/story/26579422/new-cbs19-anchor-returns-to-east-texas-roots

Mike Landess, who has worked in several markets including DFW, Houston, Atlanta, and Washington DC, begins co-anchoring duties Monday at KYTX. Landess last anchored for 12 years in Denver; in his 50-year career he has received 5 Edward R. Murrow awards and 24 news Emmys. He attended high school down the street from the KYTX studios so this move is a bit of a homecoming for Landess.

He replaces Justin Earley, who has been a co-anchor at KYTX since 2011.

I thought Landess was retiring? Though I suppose moving back to your childhood town is part of that...

Kari Jacobs named the new GM of Gannett's WVEC/ABC 13, according to MediaBistro (http://www.mediabistro.com/tvspy/kari-jacobs-named-gm-of-wvec_b129155):

Kari is a proven and respected performer who knows the Norfolk area well. She is the ideal person to lead the next generation of WVEC,” Dave Lougee, president of Gannett Broadcasting said in a statement.

Longtime KDFW weekend sports anchor Max Morgan has passed away tonight from congestive heart failure, Uncle Barky reports. He just celebrated his 59th birthday last Friday.

You just beat me to it, I was going to report it anyway. But in the meantime, All of us at TVNewsTalk want to offer our thoughts, prayers and condolences to his wife, family

and the extended family of KDFW FOX 4 News.

Hello Dallas/Fort Worth, Let's Talk Sports. This ones for you Max and Godspeed.

http://www.myfoxdfw.com/story/26598264/fox4-sports-anchorreporter-max-morgan-dies-at-59

You just beat me to it, I was going to report it anyway. But in the meantime, All of us at TVNewsTalk want to offer our thoughts, prayers and condolences to his wife, family

and the extended family of KDFW FOX 4 News.

Hello Dallas/Fort Worth, Let's Talk Sports. This ones for you Max and Godspeed.

http://www.myfoxdfw.com/story/26598264/fox4-sports-anchorreporter-max-morgan-dies-at-59

I would like to add my condolences as well. I was in DFW during his early years at KDFW, but remember him well. He was always a class act with his signature "Hello Dallas/Ft Worth. Let's talk sports!".

Goodbye, Max Morgan. You will be missed!

WFAA and KXAS did small tributes to Morgan. KXAS sports anchor Newy Scruggs even opened his segment with Max's trademark "Hello Dallas-Fort Worth. Let's talk sports!" line.

Morgan had been in the hospital since last Wednesday; he'd apparently had a heart condition for years.

A sad loss...KDFW's sports segments won't be the same without Max.

EDIT:::::

KDFW has posted 2 YouTube vids from Monday night and this morning about Max:

Former WTXF traffic reporter Kacie McDonnell starts next week (presumably Monday) at KSHB in Kansas City as their traffic reporter. Also, according to the Kansas City Star, she has expressed an interest in reporting as well, which means we'll probably see her on the 11am news and occasionally the 5 and 6pm.

KSHB will also debut their new set next Monday. McDonnell is girlfriend to KC Cheifs quarter back Aaron Murray. Disappointingly enough, her Facebook page is still being bombarded by rude, sour messages about her decision to move to KC.

Uh, yeah right... :rolleyes:

I also like how the ND came right out and said she's attractive.

I was gonna mention that, but didn't want to summarize the whole article. When I read that I thought, "yep, she was hired partially because of her looks. At least she was tactfully honest about it."

Looks like KGTV (ABC-10 San Diego) did a little house cleaning. According to TVJobs.com, Marie Arcega Dunn, Mitch Blocher, Hannah Mullins and (newlywed) Dan Haggerty are all "on the beach".

Haggerty is still listed on their website. Maria went to KSWB, Mitch left for WCAU in Philadelphia and don't know about Hannah. KGTV seems to clean house every few months.

she has expressed an interest in reporting as well, which means we'll probably see her on the 11am news and occasionally the 5 and 6pm.

Actually I wouldn't be surprised if they used her for occasional sports reporting too. If I'm not mistaken they used her to do some sports reporting at WTXF as well. Though I do question that author's assessment that she "expressed an interest in reporting". I think it's KSHB trying to multi-task their people and get their money's worth. Their staff is probably stretched thin compared to a larger market. Kansas City is a far cry from Philly when it comes to how the media works there and hopefully she realizes that.

Speaking of Michelle Apon, I would not be surprised to see her land at KXTV. Stay tuned. KSHB still also has to fill her vacancy in the weather department too.

And while we're discussing KC, KDAF has hired Molly Balkenbush as a reporter.

Finally,

TBH, her replacement, Dane Murray, sucks.

do you mean Dayne Marae? I tried doing a google search for Dane Murray because I wanted to see if she's as bad as you claim but nothing came up.

Yeah, she's pretty bad lol... Got to love small market television...

Haggerty is still listed on their website. Maria went to KSWB, Mitch left for WCAU in Philadelphia and don't know about Hannah. KGTV seems to clean house every few months.

Looks like Maria will be on today at 4, 5, and 6. Probably reporting.

I want to let everybody know that tomorrow the entire D/FW news community and the viewers will say a final farewell to the late KDFW FOX 4 Sports Anchor Max Morgan.

If your in the Dallas area, A Public Memorial Service will be held tomorrow at 12 Noon Park Cities Baptist Church.

Service is open to the public.

Park Cities Baptist Church

3933 Northwest Parkway

Dallas, TX 75225

Again, TVNT offers our prayers and condolences to KDFW FOX 4 and to the family of Max Morgan.

KSHB anchor swap - weekend morning anchor Lindsay Shively moves to weekday mornings and weekday morning anchor JiaoJiao Shen moves to weekends.

Wow! That's surprising, but maybe also not. Shively was always Shen's primary replacement and the show always seemed to do better when she was on.

• rkolsen pinned, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • rkolsen locked this topic
  • rkolsen unlocked and pinned this topic