Out & About

TexasTVNews

It is with a heavy heart that we all at TVNT should say a prayer and hearts for WCIA's Dave Benton and for his family. Dave told the viewers yesterday that the brain cancer has returned, with a grim diagnosis.

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvspy/wcia-anchor-reveals-cancer-is-back-with-grim-diagnosis_b128862

Again, please go to the WCIA Facebook page and offer your prayers to Dave and his family.

WCIA anchor Dave Benton announced on-air that he had been diagnosed with cancer and only has four to six months to live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6GISkt7B5Y

But still, this is one of the saddest stories that I have heard in the broadcast industry. My prayers and well wishes go out to Dave and the entire Benton family.

Former WWL-TV chief meteorologist Dave Barnes passed away Saturday in Florida due to complications from cancer. He was 78.

Before coming to Channel 4, he spent eight years as head of the National Weather Service's New Orleans office (office later moved to Slidell). He was part of the powerhouse team that included Garland Robinette, Angela Hill and Jim Henderson.

http://www.wwltv.com/story/news/local/2014/09/15/former-wwl-tv-chief-meteorologist-dave-barnes-dies-at-78/15670189/

1410799917000-dave%20barnes%20002.jpg

After a year and a half, WKBW's Hilary Lane is leaving the station for a reporter position in Philadelphia, near her family in New Jersey.

https://twitter.com/HilaryL16/status/511598717653495808

And the station's morning newscasts are scheduled to relaunch on or around September 29. Looks like they will use two meteorologists in the AM.

http://talkintv.buffalonews.com/2014/09/16/ch-7s-different-type-morning-show-weather-centric/

WWBT (Richmond) anchor/reporter Ryan Nobles has been named a national correspondent for CNN Newsource.

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvspy/ryan-nobles-leaves-wwbt-for-cnn-newsource_b129015

Meanwhile at WNCN in Raleigh, Melanie Sanders has decided to leave the station after 11 years. Her last day is Friday.

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvspy/melanie-sanders-leaves-wncn_b129014

And the station's morning newscasts are scheduled to relaunch on or around September 29. Looks like they will use two meteorologists in the AM.

http://talkintv.buffalonews.com/2014/09/16/ch-7s-different-type-morning-show-weather-centric/

WKBW is tying in the new show to the implementation of the Scripps graphics package, in addition to a total rebuild of their weather and traffic computer equipment.

Methinks that MCTYW will disappear from WKBW forever after the 11pm news on Sunday, September 28.

Telemundo is adding 30 more minutes of weekday evening news to 14 of its O&Os, at 5:30/4:30 (when the mostly-new weekend early newscasts already air). This is the largest step yet in Telemundo's dramatic local news expansion which has added weekend news (and in some cases, returned local production) to the various O&Os. The network also recently announced it will begin a national weekend evening newscast. The national weekend news debuts October 4, with the expanded local news coming on November 3.

30 more employees are expected to be hired nationwide.

And it's not just NBC that's in the habit of expanding local news: a new newscast bowed on WRMD Tampa (owned by ZGS) back on September 9.

Telemundo is adding 30 more minutes of weekday evening news to 14 of its O&Os, at 5:30/4:30 (when the mostly-new weekend early newscasts already air). This is the largest step yet in Telemundo's dramatic local news expansion which has added weekend news (and in some cases, returned local production) to the various O&Os. The network also recently announced it will begin a national weekend evening newscast. The national weekend news debuts October 4, with the expanded local news coming on November 3.

And it's not just NBC that's in the habit of expanding local news: a new newscast bowed on WRMD Tampa (owned by ZGS) back on September 9.

Do you know if KVDA is included? NBCU holds their license but for all intents and purposes they are a ZGS station.

So what happens to Al Rojo Vivo? That show runs from 5-6pm ET/PT, is it getting cut to 30 minutes?

So what happens to Al Rojo Vivo? That show runs from 5-6pm ET/PT, is it getting cut to 30 minutes?

That gets pushed back to 4pm et/ 3p ct. It'll still be an hour show. Meaning instead of competing with 'Primer Impacto' (News Show), it would be competing against 'El gordo y la flaca' (Gossip Show). That also pushes 'Caso Cerrado' (court show) out of its longtime 4p slot to 3p. My question is this though, is this schedule shuffle reflective of the national feed, or is this a special feed for those 14 o&o stations dedicated to the special schedule?

Their afternoon schedule is being shuffled around with Al Rojo Vivo moving to 4.

Do you know if KVDA is included? NBCU holds their license but for all intents and purposes they are a ZGS station.

The article says KVDA is included. It is the only non-NBCU-operated station* to be listed.

*KDEN's news is produced using KUSA's newsgathering resources and facilities. It also uses Gannett's news graphics.

They also inflate the numbers a bit by listing KTAZ and KHRR. As with Univision, Phoenix and Tucson are effectively one news market for Spanish-language news. (The newscasts give extended forecasts for both cities, for instance. KTAZ also has the ability to go live from Tucson with brand-new equipment which seriously impressed me when I tuned in back in July.)

I'm of the opinion that this has been the most underrated development in TV news this year, as I can't recall an expansion of news so thorough at either of the networks. Not only have almost all the stations added weekend news, which was lacking across the board, but a 30-minute expansion on weekdays is a major edge Univision just does not have yet. In addition there have been serious investments into new, modern sets, local production or new news operations (in Las Vegas and Philadelphia), bringing McAllen up to O&O standards (adding a 10pm weeknight news) and returning locally produced weather to the stations. ZGS, which is Telemundo's answer to Entravision, has also stepped up its game with news additions in Tampa, and as seen in this list, apparently San Antonio.

This is the first time I think in the history of Phoenix television that I can say KTVW has been thoroughly outclassed. The competition, KTAZ, has better graphics, sets, anchors (IMO) and overall better (and more, as KTVW only offers one newscast on weekends and two on weekdays) local news.

Their afternoon schedule is being shuffled around with Al Rojo Vivo moving to 4.

The article says KVDA is included. It is the only non-NBCU-operated station* to be listed.

*KDEN's news is produced using KUSA's newsgathering resources and facilities. It also uses Gannett's news graphics.

They also inflate the numbers a bit by listing KTAZ and KHRR. As with Univision, Phoenix and Tucson are effectively one news market for Spanish-language news. (The newscasts give extended forecasts for both cities, for instance. KTAZ also has the ability to go live from Tucson with brand-new equipment which seriously impressed me when I tuned in back in July.)

I'm of the opinion that this has been the most underrated development in TV news this year, as I can't recall an expansion of news so thorough at either of the networks. Not only have almost all the stations added weekend news, which was lacking across the board, but a 30-minute expansion on weekdays is a major edge Univision just does not have yet. In addition there have been serious investments into new, modern sets, local production or new news operations (in Las Vegas and Philadelphia), bringing McAllen up to O&O standards (adding a 10pm weeknight news) and returning locally produced weather to the stations. ZGS, which is Telemundo's answer to Entravision, has also stepped up its game with news additions in Tampa, and as seen in this list, apparently San Antonio.

This is the first time I think in the history of Phoenix television that I can say KTVW has been thoroughly outclassed. The competition, KTAZ, has better graphics, sets, anchors (IMO) and overall better (and more, as KTVW only offers one newscast on weekends and two on weekdays) local news.

Curious to see what happens to the other programs that air before Al Rojo Vivo. ARV will move to 4pm in November.

KFOX is debuting a new set and new graphics October 15 (from Erika Castillo's Facebook page) A set preview can be seen

DEVLIN!!!!

At the new building at 200 South Alto Mesa, I assume. So will this be KDBC's new set as well? Or are they getting a separate set?

An affiliation change is afoot in Puerto Rico, where ABC is getting its first-ever full-power affiliate.

The station in question is WORA in Mayagüez (and its translators), which will break from a nearly 20-year-long status as a semi-satellite of WLII to become "ABC 5" on November 1. The current ABC affiliate is a low-powered station in Aguadilla, WPRU (with translators to serve San Juan, Ponce and Mayagüez).

WORA currently produces inserts into WLII's newscasts and will produce a full-fledged newscast for the new station. WPRU, in contrast, only offers WABC's news. Also unclear is if the newscast and non-ABC programs will be in English or Spanish.

The other Big Four networks are represented by these stations on the island:

CBS: No affiliate (it's certainly possible LKK Group attempts to secure a CBS affiliation for WPRU, though they lost it on one of their Virgin Islands stations five years ago)

Fox: WSJX-LP, San Juan, carried in digital on a subchannel of co-owned WPRU

NBC: WKAQ and semi-satellite WOLE, as a digital subchannel (note that WKAQ is a Telemundo O&O)

WORA also announced, in a separate release not covered by TVNewsCheck, that they will have a digital subchannel? called "VIVE" that will feature a variety of series including imports from TVE in Spain. I'm not terribly sure what is going on with the station though I have a suspicion that it may be mostly Spanish-language outside of ABC hours.

The other Big Four networks are represented by these stations on the island:

CBS: No affiliate

Fox: WSJX-LP, San Juan, carried in digital on a subchannel of co-owned WPRU

NBC: WKAQ and semi-satellite WOLE, as a digital subchannel (note that WKAQ is a Telemundo O&O)

CBS does have an affiliate on Puerto Rico but it's only available on cable. It is a localized feed of Erie, PA's WSEE. And NBC on WKAQ's .2 is a simulcast of WNBC. Not sure why it's WNBC and not WTVJ.

CBS does have an affiliate on Puerto Rico but it's only available on cable. It is a localized feed of Erie, PA's WSEE. And NBC on WKAQ's .2 is a simulcast of WNBC. Not sure why it's WNBC and not WTVJ.

WOW! 925 kw and a HAAT of 1210 meters. Full power in Puerto Rico?

http://transition.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/contourplot.kml?gmap=2&appid=1421706&call=WKAQ-TV&freq=0.0&contour=41&city=SAN_JUAN&state=PR.kml

Which, of course, is operated entirely out of the WICU/WSEE studios in Erie.

And NBC on WKAQ's .2 is a simulcast of WNBC. Not sure why it's WNBC and not WTVJ.

I'm wondering if WNBC got the .2 simulcast on WKAQ because of NBC's attempt to sell off WTVJ in 2008.

• rkolsen pinned, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • rkolsen locked this topic
  • rkolsen unlocked and pinned this topic