Out & About

TexasTVNews

WPTZ will split 5.2 Me-TV/CW into two channels: 5.2 Valley CW and 5.3 Me-TV, made both channel available full-time.

Viewer demand worked at alleviating a frustrating situation for Me-TV fans in NE Upstate New York and Vermont. Last year, WPTZ shoehorned the CW network on to subchannel 5.2, where Me-TV had been going solo for only a few months since it had launched on the station. Viewers were NOT happy. Well, WPTZ listened. Beginning September 15th, Me-TV will be available solely on 5.3. It should be noted that WPTZ and other Burlington-Plattsburgh stations get significant viewership from nearby Montreal, Canada's second largest TV market. No word on cable carriage for 5.3. As usual, 5.3 will NOT be available on DirecTV or Dish. -TeeVee Guyd

https://www.facebook.com/5WPTZ/photos/a.10150378241365464.602976.213320140463/10154463944085464/?type=1&theater

WMC anchors Pam McKelvy and Lindsey Brown have announced their departure from the station. Lindsey is moving to Minneapolis for an anchor position (I believe at KSTP) while its unsure the reasoning for Pam's departure. At WHBQ, FTVLive is reporting GMM anchor/reporter Brooke Thomas is leaving to join Tribune's new "Eye Opener" syndicated show.

Finally, this one is completely speculative, but I couldn't help but notice this morning that Nexstar has posted an opening for a news anchor at WATN, with the same description as the one that preceded Joyce Peterson's departure (for weeknights). http://nexstar.hirecentric.com/jobs/71253.html Is Cameron Harper on his way out before Katina Rankin even gets a chance to make her debut?

WXIA/Atlanta: 11Alive's News Director Ellen Crooke has been named VP of News for Gannett. She worked at alot of local stations, and I personally thought this would fit for her. Remember she said local news stink, and she has alot of work with a company that owns almost 50 stations...That a lot of stinky news that needs to be cleaned up.

KTUL/Tulsa: Weekend Anchor Yvonne Lewis is leaving the ABC affiliate after 28 years. Sometime in September she'll leave.

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvspy/

WDIV has debuted their new logo... And to be honest, they should've stuck with their old logo..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WE0DUkZeCDE

Oh c'mon how bad could it be.

*clicks link*

...It's like Post-Newsweek/Graham isn't even trying anymore.

The funny thing is that WJXT just changed their logo to look more like the (now old) WDIV logo.

WDIV has debuted their new logo... And to be honest, they should've stuck with their old logo..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WE0DUkZeCDE

Here a closing clip to see the whole set as the camera pans away... To be honest this was a let down on WDIV with the set/logo. I expect more than this plain Jane.

bhnm.jpg

148.jpg

It seems like these days, local TV logos are either bland or overwrought monstrosities. I prefer the former, but it is sad how local TV stations don't seem to commission actual memorable logos anymore.

There's no logos that have that distinctiveness anymore. Any new logo comes about, it has to be clean and uninspired.

Now the WDIV last logo, had that distinctiveness and effectiveness. I didn't understand why they didn't keep it. And to Mrtraveler01 mentioning WJXT, which basically went the WDIV route, I didn't understand why they wanted to change their old logo either, even if the new logo kept certain features the old logo had. If it ain't broke.....

WDIV didn't add the NBC peacock? I don't know why.

They haven't had it in 20 years, it used to be on everything. WXYZ was the same way with the ABC logo, they skipped out on it until 2008. They had to be forced to add it. Network logos on local bugs is dumb anyways, 70 years later I think most people can find the channels, no need to parade it out there anymore. And since it's a newer thing, no need to have started.

Another reason is that people in this market identify the network as part of the channel and not the other way around. So NBC is second to WDIV in viewers thinking, same with ABC being second to WXYZ. We've just never done in that way, same with time and temp, outside mornings neither station uses them unless it's extreme heat or cold. Detroit is a very unique market and it doesn't seem to run like most others. It's a #5 market that dropped to 11, so it' doesn't quite line-up with it's rank.

WREG President and GM Ron Walter has been nominated by President Obama to the Tennessee Valley Authority board. Pending confirmation in the Senate, Walter will be leaving WREG after serving there since 1987, the previous decade in his current position.

http://wreg.com/2014/08/29/president-nominates-wreg-president-to-tva-board/

They haven't had it in 20 years, it used to be on everything. WXYZ was the same way with the ABC logo, they skipped out on it until 2008. They had to be forced to add it. Network logos on local bugs is dumb anyways, 70 years later I think most people can find the channels, no need to parade it out there anymore. And since it's a newer thing, no need to have started.

It's an interesting thing.

Certainly the rise of this branding strategy among the Big Three (Fox has always been heavy with this) dates back to the 90s, when these were really sorely needed in certain markets. Not only that but around the time of the Atlanta Olympics, NBC pushed for all its stations to co-brand, which worked well because NBC was the top network at the time.

Nowadays I think it's more of a representation of how the network relationship has changed. It's no longer "compensation" by the hour coming out of the networks but "reverse compensation", the greatest of oxymorons (it's basically an affiliation fee). Heck co-branding is written into every ABC affiliation contract.

What I'm surprised hasn't happened in some place somewhere is a complete "nationalization" of the brand. Local identities, particularly channel number ones, have stuck around. But except for in some odd, still-localized cases, no Big 3 affiliate has really wanted to have a brand too tied to the national one.

Directv is FAR better than Dish, who has had multiple spats with companies like LIN, and poorly handled the Media General blackout a few months back. Aside from TWC and the Viacom / Tribune blackout, their potential spats have either fizzled out, resolved quickly, or have been with smaller broadcasters.

The match made in HELL has been any group dealing with Mediacom, and any pay tv provider dealing with LIN.....

Then there's Comcast, who just caves in and jacks up the rates by adding surcharges...but maybe they'll have a spat with the NBC O&Os....right?

Dish had some long ones in the late 2000s. I remember they had a spat with Fisher, and they didn't have WBRZ for a number of years either.

On another note, KVIA will be doing some technical funky stuff. Apparently a part failed at their transmitter and replacement materials can't be ordered. The station is ordering a new transmitter and wants to temporarily operate on both RF 7 and 17 (the latter with reduced power) until the new transmitter is installed.

NEW THIS MORNING: Former KNOP-KHAS owner Ulysses Carlini has died at the age of 89 in North Platte. He purchased KNOP in 1968 and shaped the development of the station along with co-owner Richard Shively. In 1995, K11TW ("KIIT") was started as the area's Fox outlet, and two years later the duo bought KHAS in Hastings from the Seaton family, forming Greater Nebraska Television. The two were sold to Hoak Media in 2005.

Finally, this one is completely speculative, but I couldn't help but notice this morning that Nexstar has posted an opening for a news anchor at WATN, with the same description as the one that preceded Joyce Peterson's departure (for weeknights). http://nexstar.hirecentric.com/jobs/71253.html Is Cameron Harper on his way out before Katina Rankin even gets a chance to make her debut?

Update: As of this morning on WATN/WLMT's bio page, while Cameron Harper is still listed he is now being referred to as a "reporter" for the two stations rather than the weeknight anchor alongside Katina Rankin. So it would appear WATN is indeed looking for a new primary anchor but Harper is staying on with WATN in this reduced role. It's unclear what's caused this change in his position.

http://www.localmemphis.com/aboutus/team

Update: As of this morning on WATN/WLMT's bio page, while Cameron Harper is still listed he is now being referred to as a "reporter" for the two stations rather than the weeknight anchor alongside Katina Rankin. So it would appear WATN is indeed looking for a new primary anchor but Harper is staying on with WATN in this reduced role. It's unclear what's caused this change in his position.

http://www.localmemphis.com/aboutus/team

Why would they demote Harper to a reporter? Unless he asked to be a reporter, I think something fishy is going on...

• rkolsen pinned, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • rkolsen locked this topic
  • rkolsen unlocked and pinned this topic