Out & About

TexasTVNews

Kacie McDonnell is leaving WTXF in Philadelphia for KSHB in Kansas City. She's also girlfriend to Kansas City Chiefs quarterback Aaron Murray.

I tell you what, never I have seen just pure hatred and rudeness directed at a personality for leaving a station. The comments towards and about her are atrocious. They're along the lines of "why would you ever want to live/work in Kansas City?" "some people spend their whole careers trying to reach a market of this size and you're choosing to leave it to go work in a small market like Kansas City," "you should have had a ring on it before you ever decided to move." What makes it odder is that her boyfriend Murray might not even make the roster...

Edit: WTXF in Philly and WFXT in Boston are way too similar. Originally said Boston.

How do you know she's going to KSHB and what will she even do there? It does not say which station in the article...

And this may just be how I was raised, but you should not make a cross-country move to live with your boyfriend unless you're married. They could break up tomorrow and she might regret leaving Philadelphia. But that's just me...

WBAL upped Kai Reed to weekend evening anchor, nothing was official until I saw a promo for next weeks Ravens/Redskins game and says stay tuned to after the game with anchor Kai Reed. Her bio was changed on 8/14 saying will report for the weekday 10pm and 11pm news.

Coincidentally Deborah Weiner was moved from weekend evening anchor to weekend mornings on Saturdays from 5-7am, 9-10am and on Sundays from 5-8am and 9-10am. Her bio was updated on the same day as Kai's.

However I do not know whether she'll replace Jennifer Franciotti or Lisa Robertson weekend mornings. Jennifer Franciotti was in with Deborah this morning. Neither Jennifer or Lisa's biographies have been updated. I think they will both continue reporting on weekdays but after I heard the change it appears they are now alternating each weekend.

And this may just be how I was raised, but you should not make a cross-country move to live with your boyfriend unless you're married. They could break up tomorrow and she might regret leaving Philadelphia. But that's just me...

To me, it's more common sense. Perhaps their relationship is on solid ground that it could lead to marriage, but who knows? Not to mention the boyfriend may not even be hired as chiefs qb and stick with Alex Smith.

How do you know she's going to KSHB and what will she even do there? It does not say which station in the article...

To me, it's more common sense. Perhaps their relationship is on solid ground that it could lead to marriage, but who knows? Not to mention the boyfriend may not even be hired as chiefs qb and stick with Alex Smith.

I full heartedly agree. If you break up (and you live together) in a new city you would essentially be screwed with no where to turn to and no one to go to if you need help as chances are all of your friends in KC are his friends.

All right, get this, KENS5 is hiring a stand up comedian to do traffic. Beginning tomorrow, Jennie Stencel is taking over as the traffic reporter. Nice to know standards have stooped this low. I just puked. Well, I stopped watching KENS5 anyways so it's not a big deal. Just another reason to stay away.

Article: http://blog.mysanantonio.com/jakle06/2014/08/meet-kens-tvs-new-traffic-galcomedian/

I usually advise to stay away from E-N comments but this is the one occasion I actually agree with them. Many aren't looking forward to her. This one is my favorite:

Meet her? No thanks. I watch JOURNALISTS AND REPORTER...I don't want my CPA, doctor, attorney, judge, doctor to be rapper/comedians.

Yeah, we USED to hold the media in that much respect...until they whorred themselves out.

PATHETICALLY SAD. Truly. Words fail me. SOOOOO tremendously sad.

All right, get this, KENS5 is hiring a stand up comedian to do traffic. Beginning tomorrow, Jennie Stencel is taking over as the traffic reporter. Nice to know standards have stooped this low. I just puked. Well, I stopped watching KENS5 anyways so it's not a big deal. Just another reason to stay away.

Article: http://blog.mysanantonio.com/jakle06/2014/08/meet-kens-tvs-new-traffic-galcomedian/

I usually advise to stay away from E-N comments but this is the one occasion I actually agree with them. Many aren't looking forward to her. This one is my favorite:

It can't be much worse than anywhere else... Lots of traffic people are out of some nowhere broadcasting school too. Good luck... I guess. It's a lousy idea but at the same time... It's only traffic, that's not exactly journalism.

It can't be much worse than anywhere else... Lots of traffic people are out of some nowhere broadcasting school too. Good luck... I guess. It's a lousy idea but at the same time... It's only traffic, that's not exactly journalism.

Exactly, it's morning TV which isn't supposed to be taken too seriously anyways.

http://mobile.philly.com/blogs/?wss=/philly/blogs/phillygossip/&id=271389461

I didn't notice it never mentioned there. This article doesn't either, but it includes her farewell video where she mentions it. Also check out kcradio.tripod.com and it'll be listed there.

Well in the video she didn't say which station and I'm not sure that KC Radio and TV blog is very reliable either

Although that blogger is smart and does not think it's a good idea to move to KC especially when your football boyfriend may not make the roster. And then you're stuck in KC for a couple years because of your contract...

I really hope she ends up at WDAF because she would fit in better there and I've got to admit I'd rather look at her than Nick Vasos... ;)

Now that I think about it, it wouldn't surprise me if she fills the vacancy left by Michelle Apon on the weather team. Also, didn't Apon also do traffic at 'SHB? McDonnell is not a real meteorologist obviously but neither was Apon.

BTW, KSHB has no male main anchor. Come to think of it, all but one of their anchors are women...

Well in the video she didn't say which station and I'm not sure that KC Radio and TV blog is very reliable either

Although that blogger is smart and does not think it's a good idea to move to KC especially when your football boyfriend may not make the roster. And then you're stuck in KC for a couple years because of your contract...

I really hope she ends up at WDAF because she would fit in better there and I've got to admit I'd rather look at her than Nick Vasos... ;)

Now that I think about it, it wouldn't surprise me if she fills the vacancy left by Michelle Apon on the weather team. Also, didn't Apon also do traffic at 'SHB? McDonnell is not a real meteorologist obviously but neither was Apon.

BTW, KSHB has no male main anchor. Come to think of it, all but one of their anchors are women...

Here. http://www.mediabistro.com/tvspy/kacie-mcdonnell-says-goodbye-to-wtxf_b126966#more-126966 I don't know why I didn't link to TVSpy first in the first place. I've never known KCRadio to report a bit of wrong information. Apon only did traffic after Demetria Obilor left after like, six months or something and she didn't do it every day. It's awkward having the anchors report on the traffic.

And no, they don't have a male anchor currently (aside from their morning dude). Mark Clegg left the station at the end of July sweeps and they're looking for a replacement. They had their investigative reporter Ryan Kath anchor all of last week, so that was interesting.

Didn't see a dedicated thread for Bay Area tv, but KGO has officially named Ama Daetz as evening anchor :

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvspy/kgo-names-ama-daetz-evening-anchor_b127039

I wonder who will replace her on weekend evenings. I think it'd be smart for KGO to move either Carolyn Tyler or Katie Marzullo to weekend evenings. Whoever they don't move, that person can anchor both weekend morning days as opposed to the current setup where Carolyn anchors Sundays and Katie anchors Saturdays.

This one almost slipped under the radar but legendary WMC meteorologist Dave Brown, while a guest on James Spann's weather podcast last night, announced that he will be entering semi-retirement in a "couple of weeks", cutting back to the 6 PM news only, but likely to exit completely a year or so from now. He noted this is completely his decision. The announcement is not official yet but I assume we'll see something formal soon since this is not far off from taking effect.

It's widely known though not officially said yet that morning meteorologist Ron Childers will become the new chief meteorologist upon Dave's exit. What's not clear yet is his role during this interim period, whether they will move him to the 5 & 10 PM in preparation or keep him at mornings. As previously noted, WAAY meteorologist Spencer Denton is joining as Noon and 4 PM meteorologist later this month.

This news would also better corroborate something I heard a few days ago, but never posted as it seemed flaky, about a second new meteorologist expected to join WMC next month. I suspect we may hear actual news on this too shortly.

Here's the link to the podcast...

The brief remarks on semi-retirement come about an hour and ten minutes into the video.

WBIN appears to be moving fast on its local news return. As it prepares to launch its latest attempt at a news department in mid-September, "The Concord Monitor" reports that WBIN has plans to adopt a fully news-intensive format sometime in 2015, with the additions of a four-hour morning newscast and an hour-long noon newscast; until then, WBIN will start out with newscasts from 5:00 to 6:30 p.m. weeknights and at 10:00 p.m. nightly.

http://mobile.concordmonitor.com/news/13190578-108/concord-based-nh1-hires-kevin-landrigan-in-its-aim-to-own-politics-in-new-hampshire

I'm surprised that WBIN's 6 PM newscast will not be a full hour with the second half hour providing local news as an alternative to ABC World News on channel 9. They air ET there now, but it's not like that couldn't be moved.

But then again, it's very surprising that an also ran independent is this serious about starting a news operation. I've seen this movie before, and it doesn't end well. It's called WNHT, starring Boston real estate developer Thomas Flatley and a talented and agressive news team nobody watched. Except they had the benefit of being affiliated with CBS and the disadvantage of not being able to get carriage on cable systems. WBIN, on the other hand, has the advantage of must carry that might have saved WNHT and...very little else. Bill Binnie was better off keeping the INN produced newscast. Little watched as that was it wouldn't have bankrupted him like this effort probably will.

Jay Towers has been named co-anchor of Fox 2 News Morning after 10 years of anchoring weekend news for the Fox O&O station in Detroit.

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvspy/jay-towers-promoted-to-wjbk-morning-news_b127289

Well, Fox 2 will probably lose some viewers... mostly to WXYZ and some to WDIV. Towers is a figure that is popular with middle aged and older women but not much else...

He also hosts the morning show at Clear Channels AC station WNIC 100.3, apparently he will simply anchor the morning news (6-9am) and work remotely on his morning radio show from WJBK at the same time. (530-10am)

WMC Weather Team lineup beginning sometime next month, officially announced today:

Ron Childers - bumped to Chief Meteorologist, weeknights at 5:00 and 10:00

Dave Brown - weeknights at 6 until sometime next year when he will retire

Spencer Denton (new from WAAY) - weekdays at noon and 4pm

Andrew Kozak (new from KTUL) - weekday mornings

Tim Van Horn - weekends

Bailey Melton - fill-in

John Bryant left the team early this year and is currently training at WATN.

That should make severe weather coverage all the more interesting, especially if they have all 4-5 at hand plus Melton if needed.

That should make severe weather coverage all the more interesting, especially if they have all 4-5 at hand plus Melton if needed.

Will be interested to see how much Dave Brown is present in severe weather coverage, whether he remains the primary face of it or basically hands off most of that to Ron. Especially for events on weekends and such.

One small note, according to WMC's official release: http://www.wmcactionnews5.com/story/26341216/dave-brown-to-provide-6-pm-weather-coverage-ron-childers-named-managing-meteorologist

Ron Childers is being promoted as "Managing Meteorologist". I can only assume that means Dave Brown is still technically chief, but that might be playing semantics with the terminology and for all practical purposes Ron is in charge next month.

Will be interested to see how much Dave Brown is present in severe weather coverage, whether he remains the primary face of it or basically hands off most of that to Ron. Especially for events on weekends and such.

One small note, according to WMC's official release: http://www.wmcactionnews5.com/story/26341216/dave-brown-to-provide-6-pm-weather-coverage-ron-childers-named-managing-meteorologist

Ron Childers is being promoted as "Managing Meteorologist". I can only assume that means Dave Brown is still technically chief, but that might be playing semantics with the terminology and for all practical purposes Ron is in charge next month.

"Managing" sounds like a weather producer to me

• rkolsen pinned, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • rkolsen locked this topic
  • rkolsen unlocked and pinned this topic