Out & About

TexasTVNews

Oklahoma City's Fox affiliate KOKH has announced in a new station promo that it will enter into early evening news for the first time, with the launch of a 5:00 p.m. newscast that will premiere on September 1. The program will replace episodes of "Two and a Half Men" and "The Big Bang Theory" that have been airing in the timeslot (the former of which will move to sister station KOCB, which already airs "Two and a Half Men"'s weekend runs, on that same date). This is the second local programming expansion on KOKH this year; in June, the station quietly launched a Sunday morning local public affairs program called "The Middle Ground".

Oklahoma City's Fox affiliate KOKH has announced in a new station promo that it will enter into early evening news for the first time, with the launch of a 5:00 p.m. newscast that will premiere on September 1. The program will replace episodes of "Two and a Half Men" and "The Big Bang Theory" that have been airing in the timeslot (the former of which will move to sister station KOCB, which already airs "Two and a Half Men"'s weekend runs, on that same date). This is the second local programming expansion on KOKH this year; in June, the station quietly launched a Sunday morning local public affairs program called "The Middle Ground".

Wow. I wonder why the change of heart from Sinclair regarding this station? This is the same one that didn't have HD newscasts until last year.

Wow. I wonder why the change of heart from Sinclair regarding this station? This is the same one that didn't have HD newscasts until a few years ago.

It could be just a coincidence. But maybe they're now stepping their news game up because of their newly-acquired sister station in Tulsa, and even then, KOKH wouldn't still have a boatload of news that KTUL have now.

Wait, you mean to tell me KOKH doesn't have a 5 or 6pm newscast? What do they do then? Morning and 9/10pm?

Wait, you mean to tell me KOKH doesn't have a 5 or 6pm newscast? What do they do then? Morning and 9/10pm?

Yes, that's how it's been since the morning show launched in 2007. They do five hours in the morning, and 90 minutes starting at 9:00 p.m. on weeknights, and only an hour at 9:00 on weekends. In a market like OKC where news happens quite a bit, it's a bit weird that KOKH hasn't expanded to other timeslots sooner. Especially when this market is close to two others where the Fox stations have news-intensive formats (KOKI in Tulsa to the northeast, and KDFW across the state line (and to the south of the Ada-Sherman market) in Dallas).

This is a news-producing Fox affiliate owned by Sinclair, let's get that out there. That company's been well behind other Fox station owners (especially Fox Television Stations and Tribune) in expanding news programming on its Fox affiliates. The only stations that Sinclair owns that are affiliated with Fox that have early evening news at present are WBFF (5:00 p.m.), KFOX (5:00 p.m.) and KXRM (6:30 p.m.). None of the Fox stations with news departments that Sinclair runs other than those three, either those owned before or after their buying spree of 2011-present, have newscasts at 5:00 or 6:00 p.m., just morning and primetime newscasts (and in the case of KOKH and WZTV, a newscast in the traditional late news slot).

Pure speculation on my end, but has WKRC already found their replacement for Kit Andrews?

Said anchor left WTWO this week and the new station is supposed to make an announcement next week. Betting $25 it's WKRC for a variety of reasons. Stay tuned...

When the Hearst/TWC impasse happened a couple years back and WTWO was brought in to fill for WLWT, the Enquirer did a bit on her parents being overjoyed to watch her daughter as a silver lining. If it isn't her I'll be semi-shocked.

Yes, that's how it's been since the morning show launched in 2007. They do five hours in the morning, and 90 minutes starting at 9:00 p.m. on weeknights, and only an hour at 9:00 on weekends. In a market like OKC where news happens quite a bit, it's a bit weird that KOKH hasn't expanded to other timeslots sooner. Especially when this market is close to two others where the Fox stations have news-intensive formats (KOKI in Tulsa to the northeast, and KDFW across the state line (and to the south of the Ada-Sherman market) in Dallas).

This is a news-producing Fox affiliate owned by Sinclair, let's get that out there. That company's been well behind other Fox station owners (especially Fox Television Stations and Tribune) in expanding news programming on its Fox affiliates. The only stations that Sinclair owns that are affiliated with Fox that have early evening news at present are WBFF (5:00 p.m.), KFOX (5:00 p.m.) and KXRM (6:30 p.m.). None of the Fox stations with news departments that Sinclair runs other than those three, either those owned before or after their buying spree of 2011-present, have newscasts at 5:00 or 6:00 p.m., just morning and primetime newscasts (and in the case of KOKH and WZTV, a newscast in the traditional late news slot).

Sinclair is actually adding a 30 minute newscast at 5:30pm to WZTV starting August 4, along with expanding the morning show to 4:30am to 9:00am. Jerry Springer, Steve Wilkos, and Maury are also moving over to a sister station to make room for Judge Judy, Jeopardy, The People's Court, and a time promotion for Steve Harvey.

Finally, we're getting somewhere.

The Deathstar continues to be adding its newscasts on it stations, similar to the Trib & Fox.

This time it's in Grand Rapids. TVNewsCheck states that Gannett-owned WZZM 13 will have a new Sunday Morning newscast from 6-8am, starting this Sunday (8/10). The station will also expand its weekday morning newscast to 4:30am, beginning August 18th.

The Deathstar continues to be adding its newscasts on it stations, similar to the Trib & Fox.

This time it's in Grand Rapids. TVNewsCheck states that Gannett-owned WZZM 13 will have a new Sunday Morning newscast from 6-8am, starting this Sunday (8/10). The station will also expand its weekday morning newscast to 4:30am, beginning August 18th.

There also going to start a 5pm news as well too, so they finally will have 5-6:30pm broadcast the last station in the market to have an hour-long 5pm news. Starts this fall with their new male co-anchor.

With twin hurricanes headed straight for Hawai'i, combined with a weathercaster's somewhat shaky reputation and fondness for pidgin and waves...

I can't recall so many memes about one weathercaster before. Guy Hagi of KGMB/KHNL, I feel really bad for you. The whole meme includes parody Twitter accounts and everything. He also happens to be...on vacation in Europe, which is unusual.

I don't know if anyone has posted about this, but WEWS has also added another hour to their Saturday morning news. Now wrapped around a live clearance of "GMA Saturday" at 7am, WEWS has local news from 6a-7a and 8a-10a. The third hour of Litton's E/I ABC package gets scooted to 11am Sundays.

So here's the local-news-on-Saturday-morning landscape for Cleveland:

WKYC (as of early September): 6a-7a, 9a-10:30a, and 12p-12:30p. "Today Saturday" from 7a-9a.

WEWS: 6a-7a and 8a-10a. "GMA Saturday" from 7a-8a.

WJW: 7a-10a. (You have to wonder when they up the start time to 6a.)

WOIO: none, surprisingly. "CBS This Morning" runs from 9a-11a.

I don't know if anyone has posted about this, but WEWS has also added another hour to their Saturday morning news. Now wrapped around a live clearance of "GMA Saturday" at 7am, WEWS has local news from 6a-7a and 8a-10a. The third hour of Litton's E/I ABC package gets scooted to 11am Sundays.

So here's the local-news-on-Saturday-morning landscape for Cleveland:

WKYC (as of early September): 6a-7a, 9a-10:30a, and 12p-12:30p. "Today Saturday" from 7a-9a.

WEWS: 6a-7a and 8a-10a. "GMA Saturday" from 7a-8a.

WJW: 7a-10a. (You have to wonder when they up the start time to 6a.)

WOIO: none, surprisingly. "CBS This Morning" runs from 9a-11a.

Did WJW ever find a new co-anchor for Mark Zinni? Just curious considering our Fox affil stole his co-anchor...

So KUSI has quietly added a 5pm newscast to its schedule. Don't know when it started or if it's permanent. I'll check it out tonight to see who anchors the newscast.

I checked the programming schedule on the station's website, and it looks like it is permanent.

So KUSI has quietly added a 5pm newscast to its schedule. Don't know when it started or if it's permanent. I'll check it out tonight to see who anchors the newscast.

Interesting. This still means that XETV is the only San Diego station without early evening news, I wonder when the Azcarragas (the family who runs XETV owner Grupo Televisa) will ever decide to debut a 5:00 or 6:00 p.m. newscast on that station or even a 4:00 p.m.

• rkolsen pinned, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • rkolsen locked this topic
  • rkolsen unlocked and pinned this topic