Out & About

TexasTVNews

Looks like Thahn Troung has settled in nicely in the weekday evening anchor slot at WWL since Dennis Woltering retired. Troung is co-anchoring with both Natalie Shepherd and Karen Swensen. Katie Moore is now solo again on weekends.

Looks like Thahn Troung has settled in nicely in the weekday evening anchor slot at WWL since Dennis Woltering retired. Troung is co-anchoring with both Natalie Shepherd and Karen Swensen. Katie Moore is now solo again on weekends.

Hold the phone. Is this permanent?

Veteran WJAC anchor Marty Radovanic just made a public announcement that he has cancer and will be starting treatment.

http://wjactv.com/news/features/top-stories/stories/anchor-marty-radovanic-opens-up-cancer-diagnosis-3081.shtml

Say a prayer for Marty Radovanic, and wish him well on his recovery.

Fox's massive local news expansion continues, and here's what's coming next:

• KTTV's noon news will be expanding to a full hour on June 30;
  • WAGA will add another half-hour to its Saturday morning news (8:30am) on July 5;
  • WHBQ adds a Sunday morning newscast on July 6;
  • WTTG expands its weekend morning newscasts (two more Saturday hours and one more Sunday hour) on July 12 and 13;
  • KMSP will have an hour-long Sunday 10pm newscast and a Sunday 10am hour beginning July 13;
  • WJZY will debut several newscasts. A 6pm hour is programmed for July, while August will bring a 4:30-9 weekday morning news, 5-8 Saturday morning news and 5-9 Sunday morning news;
  • On September 6, WTXF adds three more weekend morning hours, while KMSP adds a weekday 6pm newscast;
  • and KTBC will return to 10pm five nights a week for the first time since 2000*, listed as coming in August.

*Not a misprint. KTBC inexplicably had no 9pm newscast until 2000!

*Not a misprint. KTBC inexplicably had no 9pm newscast until 2000!

Basically, when the New World deal hit, KTBC were the non-sensational, hard-news operation in Austin, so they promised they wouldn't "Foxify" things and stuck to almost exactly their old schedule. By 2000, they had a new set, new music, an entirely new weeknight anchor team, and had pretty much Foxified everything, so the charade was pretty much gone and I guess that's when they decided to pull the plug and move to 9:00.

Basically, when the New World deal hit, KTBC were the non-sensational, hard-news operation in Austin, so they promised they wouldn't "Foxify" things and stuck to almost exactly their old schedule. By 2000, they had a new set, new music, an entirely new weeknight anchor team, and had pretty much Foxified everything, so the charade was pretty much gone and I guess that's when they decided to pull the plug and move to 9:00.

They still put out a great product though, not as sensational as I have seen from other markets such as KTTV or WOFL, for instance. They're the worst in Austin when it comes to state political coverage however, which I find unacceptable for a station in the state capital.

As for everything getting "Foxified", well that's what happens when you're taken over directly by the network. Not the same leeway they would've had under New World.

If I can remember correctly when KTBC left CBS and joining up with FOX in '95, KTBC had to expand their morning news, and had 90 minutes of news from 5:00-6:30pm

and their 9:00pm hour had sitcom reruns (i.e. Seinfeld) and then their news at 10pm, and that was in the mid 90s. KTBC canceled their 5:30pm newscasts for Murphy Brown

reruns in mid 1996.

Effective Tuesday, ASU's Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication takes over KAET. The channel had previously fallen under the purview of Public Affairs. (ASU press release.)

The changeover means that the Cronkite School will handle all of KAET's news and public affairs programming and also that Cronkite NewsWatch (their 4:30 weekday newscast) will move from digital subchannel 8.3 to 8.1. (Fun fact: Mark Curtis is the VO for Cronkite NewsWatch's opens! The school has a close relationship to KPNX, which is pretty much right off campus.)

Highlights from the press release:

• KAET will become the largest media organization in the world run by a journalism school.
  • Cronkite NewsWatch will be expanded to become one of the nation's few daily newscasts on a PBS member station.
  • Most changes will be seen this fall after a summer of planning the integration process.

Effective Tuesday, ASU's Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication takes over KAET. The channel had previously fallen under the purview of Public Affairs. (ASU press release.)

The changeover means that the Cronkite School will handle all of KAET's news and public affairs programming and also that Cronkite NewsWatch (their 4:30 weekday newscast) will move from digital subchannel 8.3 to 8.1. (Fun fact: Mark Curtis is the VO for Cronkite NewsWatch's opens! The school has a close relationship to KPNX, which is pretty much right off campus.)

Highlights from the press release:

• KAET will become the largest media organization in the world run by a journalism school.
  • Cronkite NewsWatch will be expanded to become one of the nation's few daily newscasts on a PBS member station.
  • Most changes will be seen this fall after a summer of planning the integration process.

That's awesome. I'd imagine that the changes will be in place by the start of the fall semester.

I wonder how much of a change it was.....everything looks the same as it was in widescreen SD (I can't tell from their live stream). Perhaps the switcher or the studio cameras was the only thing keeping them from going full HD.

For anyone in Charlotte, does anything look jagged or upconverted?

I'm actually looking forward to the Gannett graphics. The current ones are very cheap looking, and were drastically different, even compared to all of the old Belo-era graphics. Plus, "Right Here Right Now" will finally be put out of it's misery.

With Scripps converting KNXV's 4pm show to its The Now hybrid format (a BBC "Sixty Minutes" for America in 2014, I suppose), KNXV has balanced the lost local news by announcing it will expand to 6:30pm on July 7. The new hour-long 6pm show will mark the first time any newscast has attempted to compete with KPHO at that half-hour.

4pm has the potential of becoming very vacant. KTVK is at 4:30 for who knows how much longer, 12's 4pm local hour is less of a newscast, and Cronkite NewsWatch won't move to 8 until the fall IIRC (it has aired at 4:30 for most of its run).

With Scripps converting KNXV's 4pm show to its The Now hybrid format (a BBC "Sixty Minutes" for America in 2014, I suppose), KNXV has balanced the lost local news by announcing it will expand to 6:30pm on July 7. The new hour-long 6pm show will mark the first time any newscast has attempted to compete with KPHO at that half-hour.

4pm has the potential of becoming very vacant. KTVK is at 4:30 for who knows how much longer, 12's 4pm local hour is less of a newscast, and Cronkite NewsWatch won't move to 8 until the fall IIRC (it has aired at 4:30 for most of its run).

I expect KTVK to expand to 4pm, with "Inside Edition" moving to 5pm.

I expect KTVK to expand to 4pm, with "Inside Edition" moving to 5pm.

I do as well. In a non-competition schedule, it'd give KTVK two cornerstone early evening newscasts, 4pm and 6pm, to go with its morning and late offerings.

I wonder how much of a change it was.....everything looks the same as it was in widescreen SD (I can't tell from their live stream). Perhaps the switcher or the studio cameras was the only thing keeping them from going full HD.

For anyone in Charlotte, does anything look jagged or upconverted?

I'm actually looking forward to the Gannett graphics. The current ones are very cheap looking, and were drastically different, even compared to all of the old Belo-era graphics. Plus, "Right Here Right Now" will finally be put out of it's misery.

What I notice the most about the change is that the NBC Peacock looks clearer, as well as the weather graphics. I'm hoping that you can notice it more once they switch over to the new graphics.

Alexis Means from WTVG Toldeo filed a report for WXYZ in Detroit yesterday. She still appears to work at WTVG so I'm not sure what was up with this. She may be freelancing or moonlighting, I've never seen a reporter from an out of group station appear on a newscast. I had always thought talent contracts prohibit that kind of work. I guess not.

Beginning Saturday, KOTV will expand its' Saturday 6:00p newscast to an hour, replacing the statewide travel show "Discover Oklahoma" at 6:30p. The program is moving to KTUL at the same time (replacing "Wheel" reruns).

• rkolsen pinned, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • rkolsen locked this topic
  • rkolsen unlocked and pinned this topic