Out & About

TexasTVNews

A little premature aren't you guys? Doesn't he have a wife? Kids? Nephews? What makes you so sure they are going to sell?

If you compare some of the prices TV stations sell for these days to top of the market prices in the 1980's, the prices look pretty much the same to me. Why would you sell when you can just keep generating cash to put in your pockets?

Wall Street forces sales because they want commissions and fees. Private owners are under no such pressure. They can own as many or as few TV stations as they want to own.

All I was doing was responding to the others' discussion. Because IWCC has mostly been sold off to this point in the last two to three years (to the point that Las Vegas is the last station to be sold), it is probably a topic worthy of discussion to consider a potential near-term sale of KSNV.

I believe the station does go to Beverly, but in cases like this, it is impossible to know how much the widow wants to remain in the broadcasting business.

In other acquisitions news, from the Virgin Islands, CW affiliate WCVI (channel 23) is clear to be transferred to LeSea Broadcasting of St. Croix, according to the FCC Broadcast Actions from Friday. The sale had been filed at the Commission in April and will convert WCVI into a World Harvest Television transmitter.

A little premature aren't you guys? Doesn't he have a wife? Kids? Nephews? What makes you so sure they are going to sell?

If you compare some of the prices TV stations sell for these days to top of the market prices in the 1980's, the prices look pretty much the same to me. Why would you sell when you can just keep generating cash to put in your pockets?

Wall Street forces sales because they want commissions and fees. Private owners are under no such pressure. They can own as many or as few TV stations as they want to own.

First, I'll just say Estate Taxes can be enough to "force" sales, too. And, IWCC has been slowly being broken apart leaving just KSNV. I'll refrain from commenting on what I think will happen right now. But, If you want to read my past thoughts on what is/was going on at IWCC/KSNV you can read one of my prior posts on the topic here.

Anchor Jim Vance celebrates 45 years at Washington's NBC4. Congrats!

http://www.nbcwashington.com/on-air/about-us/263337211.html

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Jim-Vance-45th-Anniversary-Twitter-Reactions-263298511.html

Today marks 45 years since Jim Vance began his journalism journey with NBC4. Throughout the week we will be celebrating his achievements both on NBC4 and NBCWashington.com. We #LoveYaVance!

Well he didn't have to go too far.

B&C states that former President & GM of WMYD, David Bangura, will become the President & GM of Independent statiion WADL.

Of course this comes after WMYD's completed acquisition by Scripps yesterday.

I wonder how soon Mr. Adell will sick his personal bodyguard---er, spy--on Mr. Bangura?

Looks like Fox is returning to SatAm with a two-hour E/I block in September. According to today's Cynopsis Kids:

In September, Fox is launching a new two-hour block of Saturday morning programming focused on science and technology. The block, titled “Xploration Station,” was conceived by Steve Rotfeld Productions, which is producing all four half-hour syndicated series: Xploration Awesome Planet, hosted by Philippe Cousteau Jr. (grandson of the famous underwater explorer),Xploration Outer Space, Xploration Earth 2050 and Xploration Animal Science. “I call it outer space, inner space and future space,” Rotfeld tells CynKids of the block. It’s currently cleared in 80% of the US. “Most of the other Saturday-morning stuff is sort of soft adventure and animals,” Rotfeld says, noting the series are aimed at kids and their parents to watch together. “We thought, Let’s try to do something that’s educational but also fascinating, and we thought STEM was a great hook for that, since there’s such a huge movement to advance STEM education.”

VARTV reports Art Kohn (who had worked intermittently at WAVY since 1987 and most recently had been military reporter and Sunday morning anchor until around February) left the station (since his station Twitter was last updated on February 25; he may have been gone for a while).

WHBQ is expanding its morning newscasts to seven days a week. Beginning July 6th, Good Morning Memphis will air on Sundays from 6am-8am in addition to Saturdays. (I don't have a link, but commercials have started airing this week.)

WHBQ is expanding its morning newscasts to seven days a week. Beginning July 6th, Good Morning Memphis will air on Sundays from 6am-8am in addition to Saturdays. (I don't have a link, but commercials have started airing this week.)

Fox is doing a lot of weekend morning expansion lately.

Is this going to be a two-hour block on all Fox affiliates or will it be preempted on certain affiliates (WAGA, WTVT, etc.)?

And as someone pointed out on Radio Discussions, why not make this 3 hours? So that affiliates wouldn't have to get their own. But oh well, they can use some of what they already air.

Wonder if WJZY will pick this up or hand it to WMYT like they recently did Weekend Marketplace?

15258090-mmmain.jpg

It is with a heavy heart that we send a melancholy happy trails to a Alabama television legend. Longtime WBRC anchor Joe Jangston passed away early this morning. Langston worked at WBRC

from 1963 to his retirement in 1987, he also did a stint as anchor at WVTM the the early 1980s before returning to 'BRC in 1982. Funeral arrangements have not been sent, but we will keep you

posted.

TVNewsTalk want to take this time to send our prayers and condolences to Joe Langston's family and his extended TV family at WBRC FOX 6.

Rest In Peace, Joe and Godspeed.

http://www.myfoxal.com/story/25835863/veteran-wbrc-broadcaster-joe-langston-passes-away

http://www.alabamas13.com/story/25836144/former-longtime-birmingham-tv-news-anchor-joe-langston-passes-away

http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/index.ssf/2014/06/longtime_birmingham_tv_news_an.html

It looks like the FCC is hiring a firm to help them pitching those auctions to the broadcasters.

TVNewsCheck stated that they are hiring Greenhill & Co. to help them to develop educational material to try and convince the broadcasters to participate in those incentive auctions which will occur in 2015.

Later this summer, they will have a station outreach, as well.

Even with all of this, I hope the broadcasters are not stupid in going for what Wheeler is selling. I hope they don't participate. What's worst stations are closing down anyway because stations can't have a sharing arrangement, so if they close down a TV station, even if it isn't one of those major markets that needs all the spectrum (like NY, LA or Chicago), this would still be a plus for Wheeler. All they need to do is find a speculator, and that's all she wrote.

• rkolsen pinned, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • rkolsen locked this topic
  • rkolsen unlocked and pinned this topic