Out & About

TexasTVNews

If Gannett is serious about finishing up their HD upgrades, WCNC is definitely priority #1.

WWL and WHAS are in markets where MULTIPLE stations have not made the upgrade to HD! (New Orleans only has WVUE in HD and Louisville has WAVE and WDRB in HD).

Hearst has also resisted going HD with WLKY and WDSU. New Orleans is likely the largest market in the country with only ONE HD newscast.

If they do, please 'CNC, NO DATED, LATE 90s-LOOKING, UGLY "NBC36" logo. But, IIRC, Gannett stations don't use a "(Network)(Number)" branding, correct?

For the most part, yes. If a rebrand does happen, they should just go with either "WCNC News" and leave out the channel number, or go back to being just "News 36".

For the most part, yes. If a rebrand does happen, they should just go with either "WCNC News" and leave out the channel number, or go back to being just "News 36".

Bingo. My thoughts exactly. I like the branding "WCNC News". It feels more local and less corporate than "NBC Charlotte". Although if they do keep NBC Charlotte, they should get a new logo that is cleaner. The font on their logo reminds me too much of WCCB's.

If they do, please 'CNC, NO DATED, LATE 90s-LOOKING, UGLY "NBC36" logo. But, IIRC, Gannett stations don't use a "(Network)(Number)" branding, correct?

Most of the Gannett stations don't, except for WTLV and WJXX, which go by "NBC 12" and "ABC 25" respectably.

Speaking of WCNC they along with the other affiliates will be looking for a replacement for the Live Well network.

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/local-tv/abc-discontinue-live-well-network/131646#.U5XqOY9Q4Vo.twitter

Maybe Antenna TV or This TV could go to 36.2 which would allow Movies! to finally go to 46.2 or 55.2. Not sure when those contracts expire.

Can't say I didn't see this coming. A subchannel that primarily airs repeats of their programming more times than having original programming, that drive folks to watch other programs. Although the concept was good, a heavy amount of other diginets are obviously getting more viewers.

This should be a celebration to those chief engineers at these O&Os. They had to squeeze more bits out of their main channels just to place those bits on a new HD stream. I wished the stations can go back to airing repeats to the station's local newscasts and other local programs on its point-2 sub, like they did prior to the Live Well.

Now I know stations will be calling other programmers immediately to see which digi-net they'll replace. They're not going to wait until January 2015.

Can't say I didn't see this coming. A subchannel that primarily airs repeats of their programming more times than having original programming, that drive folks to watch other programs. Although the concept was good, a heavy amount of other diginets are obviously getting more viewers.

This should be a celebration to those chief engineers at these O&Os. They had to squeeze more bits out of their main channels just to place those bits on a new HD stream. I wished the stations can go back to airing repeats to the station's local newscasts and other local programs on its point-2 sub, like they did prior to the Live Well.

Now I know stations will be calling other programmers immediately to see which digi-net they'll replace. They're not going to wait until January 2015.

Of course they won't, if they did there would be a void.

The writing on the wall was when the Scripps stations started to drop LWN one-by-one. They (Scripps) still have a few affiliates left, but I suspect we'll see them being replaced by Bounce, Me-TV, Antenna TV, or Cozi TV.

The writing on the wall was when the Scripps stations started to drop LWN one-by-one. They (Scripps) still have a few affiliates left, but I suspect we'll see them being replaced by Bounce, Me-TV, Antenna TV, or Cozi TV.

As one diginet falls, it's open season for the aforementioned diginets highlighted, though not limited. Potential high awareness can be reached in terms of success for these channels in terms of which affiliates will add what channel, thus excitement is fueled among the competition due to the news.

Speaking of Live Well, according to TVNewsCheck, ABC plans to shut the subchannel network by January 2015...

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/76896/no-life-left-in-live-well-network

Rather than just shut it down, how come Disney-ABC didn't just retool Live Well in the same manner that NBCUniversal did with Cozi TV (which originated as the local Nonstop services)? Disney (much like Warner Bros.) is a major holdout in the content space on subchannels, and haven't bothered to seek content deals with other networks since they struck a deal with .2 Network that never got realized; putting its film and television library on a rebranded Live Well would have wooed more affiliates.

Speaking of Live Well, according to TVNewsCheck, ABC plans to shut the subchannel network by January 2015...

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/76896/no-life-left-in-live-well-network

ABC is hinting at converting the channel to some type of "news channel". It would be great for the O&Os, and the ABC affiliates that carried it, but I highly doubt the other non-ABC stations would carry a rival network's news effort.

WRAL announces that former morning anchor Lynda Loveland will return to the station to co-anchor the 7a-9a portion of their morning newscast on co-owned FOX50/WRAZ effective this Friday. Lynda originally left WRAL to co-host a morning radio show at Mix 101.5, which is also owned by Capitol Broadcasting.

Darby Douglas will return to KHOU-11 in July 2014 after a five-year absence; Katherine Whaley will remain with KHOU as a reporter.

http://blog.chron.com/channelsurfing/2014/06/traffic-reporter-darby-douglas-rejoining-channel-11-katherine-whaley-will-remain-as-reporter/

As for Douglas, he had reported traffic for NewsRadio 740, KTRH, for the past five years.

KING 5's Jean Enersen is stepping down as anchor after 42 years in the anchor desk tomorrow night. Enersen is not leaving the station, she's focusing on new assignments at KING 5 News.

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvspy/first-female-local-news-anchor-to-stop-anchoring-after-42-years_b122598

http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2023823756_jeanenersenxml.html

Remember the news last November?

ABC has signed an affiliation agreement with Gray to make KGNS-DT2 the ABC affiliate for Laredo, TX beginning in February 2014. No word yet on what happens to The CW, which currently occupies KGNS-DT2.

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/71776/gray-to-air-abc-on-kgns-subchannel

It seems like it's real.....TWC announce that they will remove KSAT and CW for KGNS ABC. CW Laredo's Twitter is longer update as well.

http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/about-us/legal/regulatory-notices/programming-legal-notices/tx-laredo-zapata.html

Our condolences to the family of Mr. Rogers. What excellent philanthropy (here in AZ the law college at the University of Arizona is named for him) over his life. The Las Vegas Sun article says he donated 40% of his earnings to higher education. The gift to U of A, his alma mater, totaled $137 million and is the largest donation ever made by one donor to one law school in the US.

One fact I want to point out about KSNV: it's another low-VHF station (it's on RF 2 and was one of the first DTV DX catches made via E-skip). If Sinclair wants to spin off a station to a spectrum speculator it would need to close down one of KVMY or KVCW.

This could be the end for KSNV. Sinclair will most likely buy it and shut it down, moving NBC to KVMY.

Our condolences to the family of Mr. Rogers. What excellent philanthropy (here in AZ the law college at the University of Arizona is named for him) over his life. The Las Vegas Sun article says he donated 40% of his earnings to higher education. The gift to U of A, his alma mater, totaled $137 million and is the largest donation ever made by one donor to one law school in the US.

One fact I want to point out about KSNV: it's another low-VHF station (it's on RF 2 and was one of the first DTV DX catches made via E-skip). If Sinclair wants to spin off a station to a spectrum speculator it would need to close down one of KVMY or KVCW.

A little premature aren't you guys? Doesn't he have a wife? Kids? Nephews? What makes you so sure they are going to sell?

If you compare some of the prices TV stations sell for these days to top of the market prices in the 1980's, the prices look pretty much the same to me. Why would you sell when you can just keep generating cash to put in your pockets?

Wall Street forces sales because they want commissions and fees. Private owners are under no such pressure. They can own as many or as few TV stations as they want to own.

• rkolsen pinned, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • rkolsen locked this topic
  • rkolsen unlocked and pinned this topic