Out & About

TexasTVNews

"After much prayer and fasting"? Geeze, she took that decision SERIOUSLY.

Anywho, Katie Horner has left KMOV to come back to Kansas City to live with her family.

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvspy/meteorologist-katie-horner-says-goodbye-to-kmov_b122162

Something tells me Katie Horner ran away from her employer who already fired her from KCTV.

Something tells me Katie Horner ran away from her employer who already fired her from KCTV.

Actually she's been commuting between Kansas City and St. Louis every week. I didn't even realize that but I can understand her getting tired of a long commute like that every week. But who knows, maybe Meredith buying KMOV had a part in it too.

http://www.kansascity.com/entertainment/tv/article475820/Meteorologist-Katie-Horner-leaves-St.-Louis-station-returns-to-KC.html

Another end of an era in over-the-air television...

The CW is pulling its plug on Saban's Saturday morning children's programming block Vortexx. In its place this fall, CBS Television Distribution will produce a new five hour live-action programming called "One Magnificent Morning". Vortexx was the last program block to air animated program on Saturday mornings, as all the other networks have ditch those programs, and went with live-action educational program.

Follow-Up Time!!!

SMMFH!! You're not going to believe who's going to produce shows for The CW's One Magnificent Morning? It'll be LITTON!!! UGH!!!

They already have two blocks, with this third block, they will have eleven hours of programming in three networks every weekend.

Follow-Up Time!!!

SMMFH!! You're not going to believe who's going to produce shows for The CW's One Magnificent Morning? It'll be LITTON!!! UGH!!!

They already have two blocks, with this third block, they will have eleven hours of programming in three networks every weekend.

Really, a lot of people blame cable television and the internet in part for making children's programming on broadcast television a bad business proposition, but that isn't the case. While I like Recipe Rehab and used to watch Food for Thought with Claire Thomas before it got canned, Litton's programs aren't really children's programs (not that they market them that way) so they're really borderline on E/I compliance, since that was the whole reason of the Children's Television Act, for E/I shows to target kids. The advertising restrictions in the Act as well as the fact that the producers of these shows are rather milquetoast in what they consider children would want that would also allow stations to comply with the guidelines are what really killed network children's TV. With this, PBS is the only one striking said balance (making educational shows enjoyable and entertaining for kids) well.

If only there were Peter Engel-types that made shows like those on Nickelodeon, Disney Channel and the like that entertained as well as educated that kids/teens would want to watch, maybe Saturday morning TV would still be as interesting as it was 10+ years ago. Although the Children's Television Act is to blame mostly, rather than be repealed, the whole thing just needs to be rewritten to make it more palatable for broadcasters to air and produce better kids' programming and make it less of a profit loser. Address the issues that resulted in the overly strict advertising clauses, but restructure it to allow broadcasters to be able to compete in the children's programming marketplace. Repealing it would just make Saturday morning broadcast TV here in the U.S. look more like it does in Canada.

Really, a lot of people blame cable television and the internet in part for making children's programming on broadcast television a bad business proposition, but that isn't the case. While I like Recipe Rehab and used to watch Food for Thought with Claire Thomas before it got canned, Litton's programs aren't really children's programs (not that they market them that way) so they're really borderline on E/I compliance, since that was the whole reason of the Children's Television Act, for E/I shows to target kids. The advertising restrictions in the Act as well as the fact that the producers of these shows are rather milquetoast in what they consider children would want that would also allow stations to comply with the guidelines are what really killed network children's TV. With this, PBS is the only one striking said balance (making educational shows enjoyable and entertaining for kids) well.

If only there were Peter Engel-types that made shows like those on Nickelodeon, Disney Channel and the like that entertained as well as educated that kids/teens would want to watch, maybe Saturday morning TV would still be as interesting as it was 10+ years ago. Although the Children's Television Act is to blame mostly, rather than be repealed, the whole thing just needs to be rewritten to make it more palatable for broadcasters to air and produce better kids' programming. Address the issues that resulted in the overly strict advertising clauses, but restructure it to allow broadcasters to be able to compete in the children's programming marketplace. Repealing it would just make Saturday morning broadcast TV here in the U.S. look more like it does in Canada.

At the same time, repealing it has very little effect because now, unlike then, ABC has a massive kids' cable presence. The CW, through its association with Time Warner and Turner, and CBS, through its cousin Viacom, also do. (Not so coincidentally those are now Litton territory.)

Media diversification and conglomeration mean that kids' programming on broadcast TV no longer makes sense because most of those households can get Disney Channel and XD, Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network, etc.

At the same time, repealing it has very little effect because now, unlike then, ABC has a massive kids' cable presence. The CW, through its association with Time Warner and Turner, and CBS, through its cousin Viacom, also do. (Not so coincidentally those are now Litton territory.)

Media diversification and conglomeration mean that kids' programming on broadcast TV no longer makes sense because most of those households can get Disney Channel and XD, Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network, etc.

Emphasis on most in both cases, if you're a child whose parent doesn't subscribe to cable or satellite, unless you have the internet, PBS or maybe one of the religious networks like TBN or Daystar are your only options for children's programs that aren't the entertainment equivalent of drinking cough syrup. Also, 21st Century Fox has no kids' cable presence (at least, here in the U.S.), yet Fox dropped out of the children's television business altogether five years ago. It doesn't have that issue of trying to compete with one of its own stablemates, but Fox and MyNetworkTV leave it up to their O&Os and affiliates to carry children's programming compliant with the E/I guidelines.

The Children's Television Act may have sounded good on paper, but they loaded it with too many provisions unfavorable to broadcasters and a couple that just don't make sense (like not factoring a subchannel's programming format in regards to the carriage of E/I programming, since kids aren't likely to watch a program geared toward them on a local weather channel, Movies! or Me-TV), making it an extremely flawed law.

Yeah you're right.

Remember, when this law was first passed, ABC's Saturday Morning programming consisted of Disney Channel reruns and CBS's Saturday Morning Programming consisted of Nickelodeon reruns.

The CTA sped up the process but cable television channels targeted toward children made Saturday Morning kids programming redundant and a dated relic.

Yeah you're right.

Remember, when this law was first passed, ABC's Saturday Morning programming consisted of Disney Channel reruns and CBS's Saturday Morning Programming consisted of Nickelodeon reruns.

The CTA sped up the process but cable television channels targeted toward children made Saturday Morning kids programming redundant and a dated relic.

Actually, the CTA was passed in 1990, just over a decade before ABC and CBS ran the programs you mentioned on Saturdays. It's just been revised multiple times to add or change provisions.

https://twitter.com/erin_nichols/status/474763413839941632

Apparently the folks at KABB have nothing better to do after the Spurs won Game 1 of the NBA Finals.

Haha that's actually pretty funny. Spurs are huge here and how dare you talk bad about them Heat fan ;)

While we're on the subject: KSAT and WPLG are making a friendly wager again. If the Spurs win the Finals, WPLG's morning anchors have to wear Spurs jerseys on the air and donate $500 to a San Antonio charity. If the Heat win (which they won't), then KSAT's morning anchors have to wear Heat jerseys on the air and donate $500 to a South Florida charity.

Haha that's actually pretty funny. Spurs are huge here and how dare you talk bad about them Heat fan ;)

While we're on the subject: KSAT and WPLG are making a friendly wager again. If the Spurs win the Finals, WPLG's morning anchors have to wear Spurs jerseys on the air and donate $500 to a San Antonio charity. If the Heat win (which they won't), then KSAT's morning anchors have to wear Heat jerseys on the air and donate $500 to a South Florida charity.

At least theirs is better than the lame ass wager made between the governors of New York and California over who wins the Stanley Cup Finals (NY Rangers vs LA Kings).

Speaking of which, Are WNBC and KNBC doing friendly wagers?

Not sure when this happened but Robert Santos of KGTV has transitioned from weekday morning weather anchor to weekend morning anchor and weekday reporter. Megan Parry has taken his weekday morning spot.

Not sure when this happened but Robert Santos of KGTV has transitioned from weekday morning weather anchor to weekend morning anchor and weekday reporter. Megan Parry has taken his weekday morning spot.

Megan took over on the midday news on 5/29.

Mike Woolfolk has joined WXYZ as a reporter after being a consultant from 2010-2014. Prior to consulting he was an Anchor and Managing Editor at WACH FOX 57 in Columbia, SC from 1995-2010. He is a Detroit native.

WCNC is FINALLY going to debut High Definition newscasts later this month. According to the stations Twitter account, they installed the HD cameras this week.

Could this mean the debut of the Gannett graphics?

WCNC is FINALLY going to debut High Definition newscasts later this month. According to the stations Twitter account, they installed the HD cameras this week.

Someone pinch me. This has to be a dream.

Gannett still have a long way to go until they have all their stations in HD. Belo didn't have HD news in a few markets, including, Charlotte. Case in Point, KREM, KTVB, WHAS & WWL do that 16x9 widescreen for their news.

I'll tell you this though. Unless they make some small set alterations, the Gannett GFX would look very weird on WWL.

Any bets that WCNC will rebrand themselves again?

I doubt they'll do the rebrand again. Although I loved it when they brought back the "36" in their branding the last time, if they're smart enough (while they're showing some light), it would be wise is to refrain from those "rebranding schemes" again.

Any bets that WCNC will rebrand themselves again?

If they do, please 'CNC, NO DATED, LATE 90s-LOOKING, UGLY "NBC36" logo. But, IIRC, Gannett stations don't use a "(Network)(Number)" branding, correct?