Out & About

TexasTVNews

• Longtime WJHG anchor Joe Moore is retiring after 43 years with the station. The video shows some early WJHG sets including a use of the ABC-style circle 7. In the 6pm video which features an interview with Moore for a moment you can see a red line over a "13" on a door (interesting jab at the competition).

WJHG's logo was a point of contention when they switched from ABC back to NBC in 1982. Since WMBB (WDTB at the time) was a late-comer to the market, they wrestled away the NBC affiliation from WJHG, which was a joint ABC/NBC affiliate (and even CBS for a time) and the only station in Panama City from their founding to 1973.

When WMBB and WJHG swapped affiliates, ABC balked at WJHG for their use of the "Circle 7" which was virtually identical to the ones used at their owned stations. A compromise was made that modified the logo to take out a portion of the circle when it met with the bottom of the "7". This logo lasted until the 1990s when a new logo using a regular "7" inside the circle, and has only had slight modifications to it ever since, with adding the NBC peacock and shading variations.

Signs like the one seen in the video don't surprise me. Things have gotten very contentious between WJHG and WMBB over the past decade. The stations are neck-and-neck ratings-wise and it's a matter of what numbers are being sold....one station may claim household viewers, while another wins a key demo. Even during big stories involving both stations, the stations have gone as far to blur out the competitor's mic flag in the VO/SOTs!

There's also been a lot of back and forth that you don't normally see in other markets. Music packages (The Great News Package), talent (Tom Lewis AND Amy Hoyt), Voiceover artists (David Nolin) and even slogans (Coverage You Can Count on) have crossed the Hathaway bridge numerous times over the last 20 or so years.

And the Trib station's newscast expansion trend continues......

WXMI announced that they will start its 11pm newscast on June 2nd.

This station which coin-phrased this slogan "if it's at 10, its news, at eleven, it's history" is now saying "we've changed our mind".

On the same day that WGN announces it's expanding to 4pm, no less.

Speaking of New Hampshire, I noticed a flurry of job posts for something called NH1. This is a Binnie Media outlet apparently based in Concord. NECN competitor?

KPTV is also adding news, to its MyNetworkTV-affiliated sister station KPDX; that station will begin airing an hour-long 9:00 p.m. newscast in September (as a result, KPDX will run two hours of news in primetime; KPDX delays MyNetworkTV programming until 9:00 p.m. currently, so it's likely to be moved at least to 10:00 when the new newscast launches).

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvspy/kptv-kpdx-launching-9-p-m-newscast_b121435

This station which coin-phrased this slogan "if it's at 10, its news, at eleven, it's history" is now saying "we've changed our mind".

Interesting to point out that WXMI will air the new 11:00 p.m. newscast seven nights a week. I've only heard that Fox is doing away with its Animation Domination High-Def block next month, I'm not sure if this is a sign that Fox is giving the hour back to its affiliates or if WXMI is delaying the skeleton that will be the network's Saturday late night lineup.

Surprised you guys all missed this...The Tribune Newscast Expansion Department gave us a "two-fer" with WXMI.

Buried a little ways down in the story was this tidbit: "But more changes are on the way. WXMI-TV also unveiled plans to add a 4 p.m. news show in the fall on a date to be announced later.

Once the 4 p.m. show debuts, the Tribune Media-owned station will air eight hours of news Monday through Fridays."

I wonder why WJW never jumped back on the 11pm news bandwagon. Many viewers were accustomed to their 11pm news back in their days as a CBS affiliate, and if FOX would have acted on it during their ownership, it could have hampered WOIO's ability to climb out of 4th place as they did in the mid-2000s. Seeing as how WJW has gradually filled their day with news since then, they remain one of the holdouts NOT to expand to 11pm.

As for WGN adding even more news...I could care less since I'm not in Chicago....I want my 9pm WGN America newscast back!!!!

Here's a far afield story for Out and About, but it's certainly television news:

The Miami-Dade Board of County Commissioners has unanimously declared (Spanish) the owners of the Venezuelan television network Globovisión to be personas non grata in their county. Commissioner Francis Suarez says that municipal governments like his "have the obligation to take a position against organizations or persons that do not respect human rights in countries whose peoples also live in Miami and whom we represent as the capital of Latin America in the United States".

Globovisión, if you might recall, was the last bastion of anti-Chávez sentiment in Venezuelan broadcast television. However, last year, it was sold, and under new management it adopted a more Chávez-friendly editorial line.

If you're wondering what these people—Raúl Gorrín, Gustavo Perdomo and Juan Domingo Cordero—are doing in Miami, well, they own several properties in the expensive neighborhood of Cocoplum, including two valued at more than $4 million each

I wonder why WJW never jumped back on the 11pm news bandwagon. Many viewers were accustomed to their 11pm news back in their days as a CBS affiliate, and if FOX would have acted on it during their ownership, it could have hampered WOIO's ability to climb out of 4th place as they did in the mid-2000s. Seeing as how WJW has gradually filled their day with news since then, they remain one of the holdouts NOT to expand to 11pm.

I kinda feel the same way. But then again, after WJW went through their "ei8ht IS NEWS" phase (which is at the same time WJW's 10pm newscast totally overtook WUAB, and never looked back) viewers seemed to adjust.

Somehow, I guess they thought that a 7pm newscast made more sense.

It's been an active couple of weeks as far as personnel changes in the Hampton Roads region go; and now WTKR announces Bianca Martinez will be stepping down as an anchor; though she will still be the station's military reporter and will also file special reports.

http://www.vartv.com/pdf/WTKR_2014_05_27.pdf

It's been an active couple of weeks as far as personnel changes in the Hampton Roads region go; and now WTKR announces Bianca Martinez will be stepping down as an anchor; though she will still be the station's military reporter and will also file special reports.

http://www.vartv.com/pdf/WTKR_2014_05_27.pdf

I assume Beverly Kidd will take over her anchor position? Guess we'll have to wait and find out.

Reporter Amanda Malkwoski is leaving Lansing, MI NBC affiliate WILX for Richmond, VA ABC affiliate WRIC to be a weekend anchor / reporter. She starts on Tuesday, May 27th.

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvspy/amanda-malkowski-jumps-58-markets-from-lansing-to-richmond_b121053

I wonder if she'll be anchoring "Good Morning Richmond: Weekend" or take Ava-Joye Burnett's spot at the weekend 6 & 11pm news.

Danny Treanor (formerly of WFTV or Central Florida's News 13) is returning to Orlando television as a freelance meteorologist for WKMG Local 6.

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvspy/meteorologist-danny-treanor-returns-to-orlando-tv_b121628

Megan Pringles is going to be joining WBAL-TV's morning show coming mid June as their new breaking news reporter from their "breaking news desk" which I take is their newsroom set. She left WMAR in November to take a job in charge of a PR department because she left this job after six months makes me think she left WMAR already having the WBAL job and had to wait out the rest of her non compete and WBAL didn't want to pay if she wasn't on air.

As no one else has announced their leaving it makes me think that there will be a future anchor shuffle coming in regards to Donna Hamilton anchoring the 5, 6 and 11 PM slot maybe moving Mindy back to 5PM pairing her back up with Stan Stovall when he did the morning news shift and the 5 PM. Maybe they could use her to anchor a 4:30 AM newscast solo.

WBAL has in the past few months added to their newsteam first Jason Newton from their sister station WISN, Megan Pringle from WMAR, and Miri Marshall for weekend weather. In addition they have two to three free lancers that are used pretty regularly.

Another WTVT veteran announces retirement. Fox 13's Anne Dwyer is hanging up the mike at WTVT, her last day is June 18th.

http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/story/25649593/fox-13-anchor-anne-dwyer-announces-retirement

And on a sad note, a melancholy happy tails to KOMO's Ken Schram. Ken died yesterday after a long illness. Ken was 66 years old. All of us at TVNT offer

our prayers and condolences to Ken's family and his extened family at KOMO ABC 4 / KOMO Newsradio.

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/Longtime-KOMO-reporter-commentator-Ken-Schram-passes-away-260544511.html?tab=video&c=y

Former WTSP anchor Ginger Gadsden is joining WKMG as an evening anchor. She will join Matt Austin in co-anchoring at 5:30 and will solo anchor at 7:00. http://www.mediabistro.com/tvspy/ginger-gadsden-to-join-wkmg-in-orlando_b121892

Bruce Haffner, former helicopter pilot for KTVK, is leaving. He had been at 3TV for twenty years. http://www.mediabistro.com/tvspy/ktvk-chopperguy-leaving-station_b121858

Yetta Gibson posted this on facebook from KTVK-3TV in Phoenix...

It is true. I've decided to take some time and hang with my family and new baby. I didn't get fired, it was MY decision. I will for sure miss my gang, Kaley O'Kelley , Gina Maravilla, April Warnecke, Javier Soto TV, Scott Pasmore 3TV, Bruce Haffnerbut change is sometimes necessary and always good:)#gmaz #stayclassy

So sorry to say that in addition to Bruce Haffner leaving 3TV, Yetta Gibson has decided not to come back to Good Morning Arizona. Both are really good friends and extremely talented. They will be missed so much. Yetta has decided to spend time with her children...Bruce will still be in the air doing what he loves...flying that bird!

Bruce Haffner, former helicopter pilot for KTVK, is leaving. He had been at 3TV for twenty years. http://www.mediabistro.com/tvspy/ktvk-chopperguy-leaving-station_b121858

He also held a Reddit AMA today. Some highlights:

/u/chrondor7: "Bruce am I correct in remembering that your predecessor [Jerry Foster] was fired after they cut to him and he was snorting coke in the chopper on the morning broadcast?"

Bruce: "Something like that :)"

/u/bjhale: "How has news choppering in the valley changed following the 2007 incident? Are there new electronic systems in place, or simply updated safety procedures?"

Bruce: "Updated safety procedures. There was nothing changed in the regulations, but all helicopter operators are tenacious talking on the helicopter frequency air-to-air, announcing their positions, and talking to other pilots in the area. 'Talk, See, and Avoid Tactics'"

/u/jigglemybowls: "Any cool stories? Insane? Funny?"

Bruce:

• A car chase with 3 carjackings, 3 collisions, and shooting at police.
  • I've had the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus fly with me in the chopper
  • Luis Gonzales [sic] after his winning hit in the 2001 World Series
  • I've had all the mascots for Arizona's sports teams fly in the chopper on TV.
  • Every Day there's something new and crazy and exciting and sad and insane happening, and we capture it all from the air.

I also had my own question for Bruce:

"Bruce, I completely understand if you can't answer this question, but what is your take on the impending acquisition of KTVK by KPHO? As a Chandler/Tempe resident, it worries me because it looks like a real round of layoffs when it happens. The only reason we've been waiting so long has to do with a proposed joint sales agreement/other technicalities in the acquisition."

Bruce: "Nobody knows who will be axed in mergers so there is fear of the unknown. The FCC is in the process of deciding if they will allow the sale."

Though between Bruce's relationship winding down and Yetta's own decision, I think the winds of change are finally blowing at 5555 North 7th Avenue... (The perfect address for a Channel 5 and 3 combination!)

Former WTSP anchor Ginger Gadsden is joining WKMG as an evening anchor. She will join Matt Austin in co-anchoring at 5:30 and will solo anchor at 7:00. http://www.mediabistro.com/tvspy/ginger-gadsden-to-join-wkmg-in-orlando_b121892

Wow, a name I haven't thought of in a while. She used to anchor (weekends?) and report at KTVT in Fort Worth. I don't remember how long she lasted there.

Another end of an era in over-the-air television...

The CW is pulling its plug on Saban's Saturday morning children's programming block Vortexx. In its place this fall, CBS Television Distribution will produce a new five hour live-action programming called "One Magnificent Morning". Vortexx was the last program block to air animated program on Saturday mornings, as all the other networks have ditch those programs, and went with live-action educational program.

I'm not sure if this block would have the flexibility, like the other blocks do, but should it does, (and you know I'm not advocating this) many Tribune stations would probably take another opportunity to expand their weekend morning news offerings and possibly split the block into two days (i.e. airing three hours on Saturday, air the remaining two on Sunday). At this point, I was pondering how long the CW would continue to be the only one with the cartoons, while the rest have abandon that practice, since the stations have to comply with the 3 hour E/I guidelines and such. I would've though as Tribune is going a whole different direction, they would've accelerate this process sooner.