Out & About

TexasTVNews

It would appear that KSHB has hired Joel Nichols, the former morning meteorologist at KMBC in Kansas City that was there for 25 years. He would be the new host for their (somewhat disastrous) morning talk show "Kansas City Live" and the replacement for recently terminated Michael Mackie.

It's also sort of funny, as that would mean KSHB technically has SIX meteorologists at the station. It'll be curious to see if he ever got back on air doing the weather again.

It's also sort of funny, as that would mean KSHB technically has SIX meteorologists at the station. It'll be curious to see if he ever got back on air doing the weather again.

OK hold the phone there. I guess you're counting Jeff Penner who is usually not on the air unless he's filling in for one of their regular meteorologists. I've always seen it as four with an off-air producer who fills in sometimes. I generally don't count the off-air people.

And there's nothing wrong with having six meteorlogists at the station. KSAT will soon have six total once Adam Caskey starts. Five on-air and one off-air producer (who never fills in). If you want to get extreme they technically have seven if you count John Honoré who KSAT alleges is still employed by them...

OK hold the phone there. I guess you're counting Jeff Penner who is usually not on the air unless he's filling in for one of their regular meteorologists. I've always seen it as four with an off-air producer who fills in sometimes. I generally don't count the off-air people.

And there's nothing wrong with having six meteorlogists at the station. KSAT will soon have six total once Adam Caskey starts. Five on-air and one off-air producer (who never fills in). If you want to get extreme they technically have seven if you count John Honoré who KSAT alleges is still employed by them...

Yeah I am counting Jeff. I guess that's a good point, but he's been on the air enough times and is featured in all of their promos. Lezak brought him over when he left WDAF way back when.

For Kansas City though, that's weird. Hell, KMBC and now KCTV have two mets on-air in the morning and we generally consider it to be overkill.

Yeah I am counting Jeff. I guess that's a good point, but he's been on the air enough times and is featured in all of their promos. Lezak brought him over when he left WDAF way back when.

For Kansas City though, that's weird. Hell, KMBC and now KCTV have two mets on-air in the morning and we generally consider it to be overkill.

Technically, KSHB has three on-air meteorologists, one weather producer (Penner) and one "weather anchor" (Michelle Apon), who is not a real meteorologist. Nichols isn't a real meteorologist either.

Technically, KSHB has three on-air meteorologists, one weather producer (Penner) and one "weather anchor" (Michelle Apon), who is not a real meteorologist. Nichols isn't a real meteorologist either.

Ehhhh Penner might be the producer, but he still has a degree in meteorology. Apon is working on her degree to actually BE a meteorologist, so I'm just giving her the benefit of the doubt.

WXIN is adding more local newscasts. The Indianapolis Fox affiliate is adding a half-hour 7 p.m. newscast in the fall (adding to the 3½ hours it already carries in the late afternoon/early evening. 6 and 10 p.m. anchors Bob Donaldson and Fanchon Stinger will serve as anchors of the new 7 p.m. newscast as well. The station is also launching an 11 p.m. newscast on June 30, called Fox 59 NewsPoint, and has hired former WTHR weekend morning anchor Nicole Pence as its anchor. The program will be structured as a standalone newscast featuring “a concise wrap-up of the day’s events, plus a quick look forward to tomorrow’s weather” and will have “a distinct look and feel from the rest of FOX59’s newscasts seen throughout the day.”

In total, by the time the 7 p.m. newscast is added, WXIN will carry 66 hours of local newscasts each week (surpassing sister station WJW in Cleveland, which ironically supplanted WXIN as the highest news output among Tribune Broadcasting's stations when Tribune's acquisition of former WJW owner Local TV was finalized in December, for the highest local newscast output of any U.S. television station by a half-hour).

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvspy/wxin-adds-nicole-pence-expands-evening-newscasts_b120080

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/75906/wxin-adds-7-and-11-pm-newscasts?utm_source=NetNewsCheck-rss&utm_medium=latest-news-feed&utm_campaign=latest-news-feed-WXIN-Adds-7-And-11-P-M-Newscasts

WXIN is adding more local newscasts. The Indianapolis Fox affiliate is adding a half-hour 7 p.m. newscast in the fall (adding to the 3½ hours it already carries in the late afternoon/early evening. 6 and 10 p.m. anchors Bob Donaldson and Fanchon Stinger will serve as anchors of the new 7 p.m. newscast as well. The station is also launching an 11 p.m. newscast on June 30, called Fox 59 NewsPoint, and has hired former WTHR weekend morning anchor Nicole Pence as its anchor. The program will be structured as a standalone newscast featuring “a concise wrap-up of the day’s events, plus a quick look forward to tomorrow’s weather” and will have “a distinct look and feel from the rest of FOX59’s newscasts seen throughout the day.”

In total, by the time the 7 p.m. newscast is added, WXIN will carry 66 hours of local newscasts each week (surpassing sister station WJW in Cleveland, which ironically supplanted WXIN as the highest news output among Tribune Broadcasting's stations when Tribune's acquisition of former WJW owner Local TV was finalized in December, for the highest local newscast output of any U.S. television station by a half-hour).

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvspy/wxin-adds-nicole-pence-expands-evening-newscasts_b120080

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/75906/wxin-adds-7-and-11-pm-newscasts?utm_source=NetNewsCheck-rss&utm_medium=latest-news-feed&utm_campaign=latest-news-feed-WXIN-Adds-7-And-11-P-M-Newscasts

And I thought we had it rough doing 59.5 hours of local news a week. Of course if we ever add a 4pm newscast, we'll be right up there.

And I thought we had it rough doing 59.5 hours of local news a week. Of course if we ever add a 4pm newscast, we'll be right up there.

It seems as if about half of the 10 highest newscast outputs in the country (and probably, North America) belong to Tribune-owned stations: WJW, WXIN and WDAF are among them. I think KTLA or WGN also fall in there somewhere. If anyone knows which stations have the 10 highest local news outputs are, please post here or create another thread.

WSVN is somewhere in that list, too.

Them, too. A five-hour morning newscast, hour-long newscasts at noon and 10 p.m., three hours in the late afternoon and a half-hour 11 p.m. newscast; on weekends, it has a three-hour Saturday morning newscast, 10 and 11 p.m. newscasts and unusual for a Fox affiliate (even for one that carries early evening newscasts), 5, 6 and 6:30 p.m. newscasts on Saturdays and Sundays. The only daypart WSVN doesn't carry newscasts in is Sunday mornings (nor do they run Fox News Sunday at that time, it airs during Sunday night/early Monday mornings; E/I shows and religious programs air then).

Journal is looking to grow by taking in stations that will be spun from their JSAs

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/75927/journal-bullish-on-buying-jsa-spinoffs

If they wanted to, they could be a company that could take Media General/LIN's and even Sinclair's problem stations off their hands. No conflicts would exist in any market in question, except for maybe Savannah, should WJCL/WTGS be spun off.

It seems as if about half of the 10 highest newscast outputs in the country (and probably, North America) belong to Tribune-owned stations: WJW, WXIN and WDAF are among them. I think KTLA or WGN also fall in there somewhere. If anyone knows which stations have the 10 highest local news outputs are, please post here or create another thread.

Would the Sinclair combo of WSYX and WTTE count? They air a combined 61.5 hours of news a week.

WSYX) Weekdays: 4:30-7am, 12-1p, 5-6:30p, 11-11:35p; Weekends: 5-8am, 6-6:30p, 11-11:35p

WTTE) Weekdays: 7-10am, 10-11p; Weekends: 8-10am, 10-11p

John Gerard, chief meteorologist at WOAI, is leaving the station after the May book for a weather position over at WFOR.

Source: http://blog.mysanantonio.com/jakle06/2014/04/woai-tv-losing-its-weatherman

So now, this means WOAI will be without a chief meteorologist OR a lead female anchor. And knowing WOAI, they tend to take their time looking for replacements. It took them a little more than a year to replace Brian Collister.

And I understand Blaise Labbe says "it happened pretty quickly" so it will take them a while to find somebody. This is BS because they knew for a while Elsa Ramon was leaving, and nope, still nobody has been hired.

Anyways, I'll miss him. He was my favorite weatherman in the market. Hopefully he will NOT be replaced with Alex Garcia from KABB. He is by far the worst in the market. I watch the weather to find if it's going to rain tomorrow, not to get a lesson in meteorology, and Garcia certainly loves to teach more than he does putting things into simple terms that an average person can understand. That and he always likes to remind us when the NOAA will be having their next storm spotter classes. Katie Vossler at KSAT is also starting to get bad about this too...

John Gerard, chief meteorologist at WOAI, is leaving the station after the May book for a weather position over at WFOR.

Source: http://blog.mysanantonio.com/jakle06/2014/04/woai-tv-losing-its-weatherman

So now, this means WOAI will be without a chief meteorologist OR a lead female anchor. And knowing WOAI, they tend to take their time looking for replacements. It took them a little more than a year to replace Brian Collister.

And I understand Blaise Labbe says "it happened pretty quickly" so it will take them a while to find somebody. This is BS because they knew for a while Elsa Ramon was leaving, and nope, still nobody has been hired.

Anyways, I'll miss him. He was my favorite weatherman in the market. Hopefully he will NOT be replaced with Alex Garcia from KABB. He is by far the worst in the market. I watch the weather to find if it's going to rain tomorrow, not to get a lesson in meteorology, and Garcia certainly loves to teach more than he does putting things into simple terms that an average person can understand. That and he always likes to remind us when the NOAA will be having their next storm spotter classes. Katie Vossler at KSAT is also starting to get bad about this too...

In larger markets it's not uncommon to see those kinds of weather tidbits and lessons in a forecast..

I have a hunch that long time weatherman Albert Flores will take the helm as Chief Meteorologist at WOAI, if I'm right.

Elisa Amigo, weekend morning anchor at WJW left the station this past Sunday for an undisclosed primary anchor position...to be announced soon.

http://www.cleveland.com/tv-blog/index.ssf/2014/04/elisa_amigo_leaving_wjw_channel_8_for_anchor_job_in_another_city.html#incart_m-rpt-1

If you read the comments, she makes light of this in a back-and-forth with the article's author.

Damn that's a lot of news.

• rkolsen pinned, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • rkolsen locked this topic
  • rkolsen unlocked and pinned this topic