Out & About

TexasTVNews

I can second this argument for the Sinclair stations. In fact, WOAI lead anchor Randy Beamer now has commentary during the 10PM newscast called "San Antonio's Voice" and his views are generally liberal. I don't think Sinclair shuns people who are liberal in fact I think they embrace them and are open-minded to other people's views.

I know for a fact that most of their talent here is lefty, but I think the Sinclair people are smart broadcasters and they will put on whoever will get ratings for them. They want to sell time and get cable fees. At the end of the day, they care most about making money.

I will say one thing about them. When they debuted "Sky 6" most recently, I thought it was just a prop. About 20 years ago (pre-Sinclair), Channel 6 once covered a helicopter with Sky 6 graphics, filmed a bunch of promos, and quickly stoped using it, but still used the promos to make it look like they had a chopper. That's why I was suspicious.

Much to my surprise, this wasn't a publicity stunt and they are actually using it. Since some of WSYX reporters' stories also air on WTVN-Radio, I've heard "reporting from Sky 6, this is _______" in the outcues.

This is just a wild guess, but are they able to do this now because of those LiveU packs and the fact that they don't have to outfit a chopper with special gear?? Can those packs even be used from a helicopter?

I'm going to repeat what I said before, this is a good example of one of the advantages of a duopoly. Because they can sell more time, they can put more money into the product.

Former KMBC/Kansas City meteorologist Lisa Teachman is joining rival KCTV. This means KCTV will have a five-person on-air weather staff. Teachman will also do morning traffic.

http://www.kansascity.com/2014/04/15/4962053/meteorologist-lisa-teachman-joins.html

So much for KSHB being able to brand themselves as having KC's largest weather team...

I didn't realize this, but Bridget Naso has joined KNSD as the replacement for military reporter Leah Sutton who left last October. She probably will also be used as a fill in anchor since it is mentioned in her bio that she is an Emmy award winning anchor and reporter.

Much to my surprise, this wasn't a publicity stunt and they are actually using it. Since some of WSYX reporters' stories also air on WTVN-Radio, I've heard "reporting from Sky 6, this is _______" in the outcues.

This is just a wild guess, but are they able to do this now because of those LiveU packs and the fact that they don't have to outfit a chopper with special gear?? Can those packs even be used from a helicopter?

I don't think you can. They may have been forced to install the ENG equipment on the bird.

Also those radio reports you listen to on WTVN aren't live. They can record them and make them look/sound like it's live from the chopper and then send the recorded product back to the station for broadcast.

LiveU will work from a chopper, as

The TVSpy roundup...

KWBA is adding a morning newscast. The CW affiliate will begin airing a 7-8 A.M. extension of KGUN's Good Morning Tuscon starting Monday.

After 13 years, Kirk Montgomery is leaving KUSA for Michigan, where he will anchor the 4 P.M. news on WILX.

WSLS vice president and general manager Leesa Wilcher is leaving for personal reasons. She joined the station in 2011 from WJHL.

Gerry Vaillancourt, morning anchor at WVUE, has been let go. According to him, station management said they "wanted to go in a different direction". He started at the station in October 2012.

Well, if you live in West Palm Beach, you might've noticed that WPTV Digital channel 5.2 has changed. Live Well Network on 5.2 was replaced this morning with MeTV. This change happened at 5am today on April 21, 2014. LWN might be seen again in the near future. Perhaps, WPBF might put it on 25.3.

RiP LWN on WPTV 5.2 (9/2/11-4/21/14)

Welcome to MeTV, West Palm Beach.

And at the same time they have hired a new sports anchor, Mary Dunleavy, from WVIR in Charlottesville, VA. Article

According to TVSpy, Stacey Cameron will be joining WOAI as an investigative reporter. His last stop was KCTV, which (probably not coincidental) is where current ND Blaise Labbe came from. So basically he hired his buddy. I'm not shocked but I'm a little surprised.

I'm intrigued they say he will be "one of the station's lead investigative reporters". More like he'll probably be the only full-time investigative reporter there. He replaces Brian Collister who left the station about a year ago.

Now they have another major vacancy to fill and that is main female anchor. That'll probably take another six months or so knowing WOAI...

Anyone from Kansas City DMA, is he a good, hard-hitting investigative reporter?

Can Delmarva support three news operations? This is going to be interesting and what's more surprising than this is the fact that WMDT or WBOC never added NBC on a digital subchannel...

I think that has more to do with on the contour map WBAL-TV has strong penetration of all but 4 MD Counties and one Delaware County, those five excluded counties are the only ones that are included in the Salisbury DMA. WCAU only covers two northern MD counties SNF one Delaware County. The Salisbury DMA only accounts for Delaware and Maryland, leaving out the southern tip which is part of the Newport News VA DMA on the western shore.

All of this gives me reason to believe that there is significant coverage but lack of the need of a permanent affiliate for NBC since NBC can be received OTA on the for more than half of Delmarva peninsula save for the Salisubury market which receives WBAL via cable and a satellite. All of this plus the fact that Salisbury DMA is in a tourist area part of the state where there aren't many permanent residents.

WBAL-TV Contour Map: https://stations.fcc.gov/station-profile/wbal-tv/contour-maps/

WBOC-TV Contour Map: https://stations.fcc.gov/station-profile/wboc-tv/contour-maps/

WCAU-TV Contour Map: https://stations.fcc.gov/station-profile/wcau/contour-maps/

This seemed like an odd story, a WXYZ reporter got hit with coffee while trying to talk to some squatters she helped evict. Then they came back during the live shot twice and threw BBQ sauce on the live truck.

Look, I Know it's bad enough but DAMN, Is Detroit that desperate to the point where, though not limited to the city but still, squatters invade a home and that, I don't know, lazy enough to find their own place? From what i've seen in that clip, it seems it is a group, not individual, of squatters in the same place.

Look, I Know it's bad enough but DAMN, Is Detroit that desperate to the point where, though not limited to the city but still, squatters invade a home and that, I don't know, lazy enough to find their own place? From what i've seen in that clip, it seems it is a group, not individual, of squatters in the same place.

From the other 2 or 3 stories in the series it was 3 to 4 people. And yes it is that bad, they have been at this with the bank on the eviction story since early march iirc. I'm just glad it was pop and not something worse.

... this is going to be Delaware's first major network affiliate ever.

Au contraire, mon frere!

Go back to 1949, and Wilmington, DE's WDEL-TV on channel 7 was an NBC affiliate, moving to channel 12 is the frequency reallocations of 1951, eventually having it's license turned back to the FCC, then reincarnated as WHYY.

Also, WMDT has a satellite station: WEVD, a low power station (formerly W27AJ), so technically, Delaware does have a big 3 affiliate within it's borders, albeit without any true local programming.

J

I think that has more to do with on the contour map WBAL-TV has strong penetration of all but 4 MD Counties and one Delaware County, those five excluded counties are the only ones that are included in the Salisbury DMA. WCAU only covers two northern MD counties SNF one Delaware County. The Salisbury DMA only accounts for Delaware and Maryland, leaving out the southern tip which is part of the Newport News VA DMA on the western shore.

All of this gives me reason to believe that there is significant coverage but lack of the need of a permanent affiliate for NBC since NBC can be received OTA on the for more than half of Delmarva peninsula save for the Salisubury market which receives WBAL via cable and a satellite. All of this plus the fact that Salisbury DMA is in a tourist area part of the state where there aren't many permanent residents.

WBAL-TV Contour Map: https://stations.fcc.gov/station-profile/wbal-tv/contour-maps/

WBOC-TV Contour Map: https://stations.fcc.gov/station-profile/wboc-tv/contour-maps/

WCAU-TV Contour Map: https://stations.fcc.gov/station-profile/wcau/contour-maps/

WCAU (and the other Philadelphia stations, for that matter) also covers Kent County, Delaware. I don't know if it is actually part of the DMA.

In other news...

For the second day in a row a Charleston station launches a new set. Yesterday at 5am it was WCBD, and today at noon it was WCSC. They switched to the new Raycom graphics and are now using the updated CBS Enforcer cuts.

Your move, WCIV...

Media General is laying off 45 corporate and "shared services" employees....

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvspy/media-general-to-cut-45-jobs_b119985

They did a similar layoff after they spun off the newspapers. A lot of this likely has to do with the overlap of Young positions, and whatever "de-centralizing" they plan on doing. Whatever they have, will pale in comparison to when LIN comes under their control (and may very well evolve the company to be more like LIN than Media General ever was)

This actually makes a lot of sense, seeing as how the company doubled in size with the purchase of Young, and double after that when the LIN merger happens.....