Out & About

TexasTVNews

Sad news out of Atlanta and WSB TV. Herb Emory WSB traffic reporter stopped to help a car accident over the weekend passed away when he had a sudden heart attack.

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvspy/wsb-traffic-reporter-herb-emory-dies_b119167

Heard Capt. Herb a few times while visiting ATL and was always impressed by his detail and knowledge of the area'a roadways. That's a huge loss for WSB.

I read on Twitter WYMT in Hazard, KY is getting HD. How does a station in the 25th largest market (WCNC) allow a station in HAZARD, KENTUCKY to beat them to HD? Even after the change to Gannett. WCNC should have got it a long time ago!

Hopefully they'll have new graphics to replace this piece of crap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xsXCtAOP1A

I read on Twitter WYMT in Hazard, KY is getting HD. How does a station in the 25th largest market (WCNC) allow a station in HAZARD, KENTUCKY to beat them to HD? Even after the change to Gannett. WCNC should have got it a long time ago!

They've only had control of the Belo stations for just under 4 months now. Going HD isn't an overnight thing. Gannett has to have it in their plan for them to go HD soon (I would hope). So weird to say it, but it's not even their biggest problem as of late. They seem to have an employee turnover problem. Their GM, ND, Dion Lim, Kellie Patterson, and now Meghan Danahey all gone within the past few months (there may be some I forgot, but you get the point).

Hopefully they'll have new graphics to replace this piece of crap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xsXCtAOP1A

The new graphics they have look amazing than their previous ones, but they kept their logo except the '57' font was modified. You can see their first HD newscast at http://www.wkyt.com/wymt/video.

They seem to have an employee turnover problem. Their GM, ND, Dion Lim, Kellie Patterson, and now Meghan Danahey all gone within the past few months (there may be some I forgot, but you get the point).

I wonder if Gannett has anything to do with that ie let's get outta there as fast as we can as Gannett is not a great company...

WCNC has been making changes lately. They changed the LEDs on the set from blue to gray in some areas, to tone down the blue. They've also started the 11pm news standing in front of a large monitor they have. I think the entire newscast may have been there yesterday - they were standing around it at the close. I'm guessing this is from their interim news director?

I wonder if Gannett has anything to do with that ie let's get outta there as fast as we can as Gannett is not a great company...

Could be, Dion Lim is obviously exempt from that because she went to WTSP. But then again, Belo treated WCNC like shit, so maybe Gannett is making changes there.

The new graphics they have look amazing than their previous ones, but they kept their logo except the '57' font was modified. You can see their first HD newscast at http://www.wkyt.com/wymt/video.

Apparently, WKYT is also using the graphics now, too. Another thing, why is the WYMT website a part of WKYT's?

Hopefully that is something Gannett is planning on fixing....same can be said for WWL and WHAS.

Apparently, WKYT is also using the graphics now, too. Another thing, why is the WYMT website a part of WKYT's?

WYMT is considered a semi-satellite of WKYT. WKYT simulcasts their 5 & 5:30pm news weekdays on WYMT.

WYMT is considered a semi-satellite of WKYT. WKYT simulcasts their 5 & 5:30pm news weekdays on WYMT.

Yes, and lately the trend over at 'KYT is if a reporter vacancy comes up, it's generally filled with someone from WYMT. In a way it's also like a training station for them. The studio building even looks like it's a deliberate carbon copy of WKYT's rural mansion-esque building (but built later on).

Savannah's WJCL is adding a 5:00 and a 5:30 pm newscast. Katie will move to 10am while Bethenny moves to sister station WTGS at noon.

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvspy/wjcl-adds-news-at-500-and-530-pm_b119236

http://wjcl.com/wjcl-abc-to-wtgs-fox-progamming-changes/

This station has come a long way from it's days when it was on "Making News Savannah Style" and they were owned by Piedmont which was truly a crappy company. If LIN sells this to be a part of Media General, I hope they end up with a company who's willing to make continued investments in them.

Yes, and lately the trend over at 'KYT is if a reporter vacancy comes up, it's generally filled with someone from WYMT. In a way it's also like a training station for them. The studio building even looks like it's a deliberate carbon copy of WKYT's rural mansion-esque building (but built later on).

This station has come a long way from it's days when it was on "Making News Savannah Style" and they were owned by Piedmont which was truly a crappy company. If LIN sells this to be a part of Media General, I hope they end up with a company who's willing to make continued investments in them.

Don't remind me of the group that wrecked WKBN

Isn't WKBN still tops in Youngstown?

WFMJ took the lead soon after the sale of the WKBN-TV to Grapevine/Piedmont, and heavily capitalized on WKBN's sale to out-of-town interests by starting their push as "Our Valley's Only Locally Owned TV station", and quickly snatched up anchor Bob Black, who was canned by the new owners of WKBN soon after they took over. I'm not too sure about now, but WFMJ was dominant during this era.

WKBN was fortunate enough to have been sold to New Vision, since most of the other Piedmont properties were dumped to owners who either drove them further into the ground, or sold them to companies that struck in-market deals to run them, forming some of the first SSAs in the industry to challenge ownership rules. WKBN then became the senior partner in the merger with WYTV since it was one of the few Benedek stations that was not folded into Gray, then Chelsey Television sold out to Parkin, which was a sidecar company of New Vision.

WFMJ took the lead soon after the sale of the WKBN-TV to Grapevine/Piedmont, and heavily capitalized on WKBN's sale to out-of-town interests by starting their push as "Our Valley's Only Locally Owned TV station", and quickly snatched up anchor Bob Black, who was canned by the new owners of WKBN soon after they took over. I'm not too sure about now, but WFMJ was dominant during this era.

WKBN was fortunate enough to have been sold to New Vision, since most of the other Piedmont properties were dumped to owners who either drove them further into the ground, or sold them to companies that struck in-market deals to run them, forming some of the first SSAs in the industry to challenge ownership rules. WKBN then became the senior partner in the merger with WYTV since it was one of the few Benedek stations that was not folded into Gray, then Chelsey Television sold out to Parkin, which was a sidecar company of New Vision.

Wasn't WYTV managed by Barrington during Chelsey's ownership? Also IIRC, Chelsey's other station WHOI went to Barrington proper...

Wasn't WYTV managed by Barrington during Chelsey's ownership? Also IIRC, Chelsey's other station WHOI went to Barrington proper...

If 'YTV went to Barrington, 33 would have become Massa David's headache. WYTV as a Sinclair station would pretty much be a train wreck IMHO. No one in Youngstown would watch them because Youngstown is as liberal as Sinclair is...well, Sinclair.I doubt anyone in Youngstown would want to work for the Baltimore Bastards not only because of Sinclair's perpetual cheapness but also because of Sinclair's right-wing views. In a way, WYTV becoming WKBN's bitch might be a blessing in disguise.

If 'YTV went to Barrington, 33 would have become Massa David's headache. WYTV as a Sinclair station would pretty much be a train wreck IMHO. No one in Youngstown would watch them because Youngstown is as liberal as Sinclair is...well, Sinclair.I doubt anyone in Youngstown would want to work for the Baltimore Bastards not only because of Sinclair's perpetual cheapness but also because of Sinclair's right-wing views. In a way, WYTV becoming WKBN's bitch might be a blessing in disguise.

Here we go again. Just because the editorial page of a newspaper swings one way or another doesn't mean the newsgathering and reporting also swings that way. Have you ever watched a Sinclair newscast? It is just about like any other newscast. Actually, depending on the market, it might even be a cut above most other newscasts.

And I question how "liberal" Youngstown is. Seattle is liberal. Madison, WI is liberal. Portland is liberal. They would never vote for Reagan. Youngstown is an ethnic Democrat enclave like many Great Lakes cities. Youngstown may be Democrat, but they are not liberal. They would vote for Reagan.

That said, Youngstown is lucky to have WFMJ rather than one of the chain owners. Nothing beats locally owned or being part of a small chain of two or three stations, IMO.

Here we go again. Just because the editorial page of a newspaper swings one way or another doesn't mean the newsgathering and reporting also swings that way. Have you ever watched a Sinclair newscast? It is just about like any other newscast. Actually, depending on the market, it might even be a cut above most other newscasts.

It depends on how the competition fares. In a small market like Medford, Oregon, where the Sinclair station has more resources than the locally-owned competition (KOBI), that may be the case. This may change once Prather takes control of KDRV and if he invests in making that station competitive.

It depends on how the competition fares. In a small market like Medford, Oregon, where the Sinclair station has more resources than the locally-owned competition (KOBI), that may be the case. This may change once Prather takes control of KDRV and if he invests in making that station competitive.

KDRV actually leads that market, according to Wikipedia. KDRV is also the only station in the market that still has a sports department; KOBI and KTVL both got rid of theirs in '09.

The roundup, courtesy of TVSpy...

Lauren Victory is joining WTIC as a general assignment reporter. She comes from WPTZ, where she has worked since 2011.

sanewsguy's prediction a few pages back was correct. Adam Caskey is now the evening meteorologist in waiting at KSAT, as Steve Browne scales back. When he joins the station, Caskey will become the meteorologist for the 5 and 6 P.M. newscasts, with Browne remaining on the 10 P.M. newscast.

WGBA and WACY have new management. Pete Marquardt has been selected as the new general manager for the duopoly, replacing Joe Poss, who recently became vice president and general manager at WTMJ.

I can second this argument for the Sinclair stations. In fact, WOAI lead anchor Randy Beamer now has commentary during the 10PM newscast called "San Antonio's Voice" and his views are generally liberal. I don't think Sinclair shuns people who are liberal in fact I think they embrace them and are open-minded to other people's views.

For the newspaper here (Express-News, a Hearst property), not only is its editorial viewpoint very liberal, its newsgathering has started to become evidently one-sided in the past few years, especially after Mike Leary from the Philadelphia Inquirer took over as the executive editor. It's gotten to the point I cancelled my subscription entirely because the newsgathering quality has been embarrassing for a market the size of San Antonio. They give newspapers a bad name and you wonder why people are leaving them in droves and no, I don't think it's necessarily the format so much the quality.

Add to the fact TV does a better job and online has a variety of liberal and conservative news sources for your choosing. (I do get some of my national news from mainstream [which is predominantly liberal and supportive of the President] sources but I balance it out with news from conservative [which are critical of the President] sites too--not just Fox News but other conservative sites as well; this allows me to get a balanced view on the world and getting news some outlets don't and won't cover).

:rant:

"sanewsguy's prediction a few pages back was correct. Adam Caskey is now the evening meteorologist in waiting at KSAT, as Steve Browne scales back. When he joins the station, Caskey will become the meteorologist for the 5 and 6 P.M. newscasts, with Browne remaining on the 10 P.M. newscast."
I figured. Guessing Caskey will also do the 4 (TVSpy strangely omits it but KSAT does have a 4). Or they will continue to have Katie Vossler do three days a week at 4 and Caskey does the other two days.

Somewhat disappointed that Mike Osterhage wasn't promoted but then again that's a good thing because their morning team has such a great chemistry together I can't see that being broken up soon.

Looks like TVSpy lifted this from Jakle at the paper:

Among other things mentioned:

• Caskey takes over in June (of course, after the May book).
  • KSAT has six experienced meteorologists (they only have four, soon to be five, on-air meteorologists; the sixth is probably referring to their off-camera weather producer who has never been seen on-air)
  • John Honore has been off the air since January (I told you this before Jeanne Jakle posted it on her blog a couple days later) and according to David Cuiccio (KSAT CSD), he's still on the payroll (a nice way of saying they basically didn't renew his contract and they took him off before it expired and they're paying out the remainder of his contract). Whether he's off-camera there or he's told to just stay home and not come in, I don't know. I'm am 99% sure this was Bernice Kerney's (ND) decision to dump him in favor of Vossler (so KSAT could have a female meteorologist).

Also just putting this out there, but for whatever reason, KSAT does not use the term chief meteorologist, so nobody's really getting "promoted" here.