Out & About

TexasTVNews

TVNewsCheck state this afternoon that KSAZ Fox 10 is expanding its weekend morning offerings.

It will add is Saturday Morning news by an hour. It will air for three hours between 6-9am. It will also air a two hour Sunday Morning news show between 6-8am.

The changes will be in effect the weekend of April 26.

TVNewsCheck state this afternoon that KSAZ Fox 10 is expanding its weekend morning offerings.

It will add is Saturday Morning news by an hour. It will air for three hours between 6-9am. It will also air a two hour Sunday Morning news show between 6-8am.

The changes will be in effect the weekend of April 26.

KSAZ has got to be the most understaffed news operation in Phoenix (technically), so I can't see them expanding an hour on Saturdays without it being a disaster.

Looks like Veronica will take over for Elizabeth on the 6 & 10 PM newscasts and Elizabeth will continue her role as anchor of the 5 & 11 PM newscasts. Here's the story from KPIX:

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2014/04/02/veronica-de-la-cruz-named-co-anchor-for-kpix-5-news/

I guess Elizabeth got too tired handling all the newscasts. Did Dana King handle all newscasts or is this a replacement to her position?

I guess Elizabeth got too tired handling all the newscasts. Did Dana King handle all newscasts or is this a replacement to her position?

I believe when Dana was still around Elizabeth anchored at 5 and reported for the 10 & 11. When Dana King retired, Elizabeth added 6, 10 & 11 PM anchoring duties. So basically Elizabeth is dropping the 6 & 10, and keeping the 11.

KSBW's Michelle Imperato is joining Orlando sister station WESH as morning anchor. She starts in June.

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvspy/michelle-imperato-joins-wesh-from-ksbw_b118630

WGHP will launch a 4pm newscast on April 21st.

http://myfox8.com/2014/04/07/wghp-announces-new-4-p-m-newscast-will-launch-april-21/

WeatherNation has added a new affiliate: WUSA 9 in Washington, DC. It will be on 9.3.

http://blog.weathernationtv.com/2014/04/08/weathernation-launches-partnership-with-wusa-in-washington-d-c/

Chris Geiger has been named vice president and general manager of WTIC and WCCT, effective April 28th. Geiger was formerly president of Barrington's (now Sinclair's) Syracuse cluster. He replaces Rich Graziano, who is now WPIX's new GM.

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvspy/chris-geiger-named-vp-gm-of-tribunes-wtic-wcct_b118977

1xi5.jpg

I can't believe this is happening, but Don Scott is retiring from WJZ in July. One-half of the market's best morning news duo is going away. I wonder who's going to succeed Don? Don and Marty had such a great rapport with each other. Would be nice if they could find a female who could "click" with Marty and keep the Eyewitness News Morning Edition on top.

Here's the article: http://www.mediabistro.com/tvspy/don-scott-set-to-retire-from-wjz_b119068

Also, from my home base:

xb1c.jpg

KENS, the CBS affiliate owned by Gannett that I avoid like the plague, has decided to unveil their response to the "ice desk" (which you can't have in San Antonio in the first place because it generally doesn't get that cold here). They call it the "Fiesta Desk" which is basically a giant pinata shaped like a desk. I'm betting 99% Gannett corporate made them do something so stupid like this (because they didn't do an ice desk during the winter).

Now you see why I avoid them like the plague. And I didn't know about this until I read it online...

KSAT of course, is the official station of Fiesta and will air all the parades live.

If you don't know what Fiesta (San Antonio) is please google it. Better than me trying to explain.

Oh, and KEYT is coming under fire. I'll let Mr. FTVLive tell us this:

LEFT COAST STATION CROSSES THE LINE

April 11, 2014/ Scott Jones

220px-Keyt_2011.png

KEYT in Santa Barbara decided to throw journalism ethics out the window and just become Deputy Sheriffs with video cameras.

The station showed footage of last weekend’s riot near the University of California, Santa Barbara campus, then told viewers that “we’ll be sharing all that video with the sheriff’s department and the district attorney’s office.”

KEYT cozying up to law enforcement didn’t end there, though. Its newsroom staffers posted “WANTED” tweets (“We captured his face on cam. See if you recognize him”) and asked viewers to help catch “Sheriff Brown’s #1 suspect.”

It's as if the station decided to give up TV news and play policeman.

Then again it might not be all that surprising considering this: Victoria Sanchez, the reporter covering the riot, is the daughter of Santa Barbara chief of police Camerino Sanchez, while KEYT news anchor Paula Lopez is married to Santa Barbara County Judge Frank Ochoa.

KEYT news director Jim Lemon tells Jim Romenesko he decided to give the video to the sheriff and D.A. because “I knew I was going to get subpoenaed.”

“I thought it’s better to be upfront about what you’re going to do” and tell viewers the station is giving up the footage.

“I’ve had a few folks ask if we’re an arm of law enforcement, but the answer is no.”

Ummmm....I think the answer is yes Jim.

Just saying....

H/T Jim Romenesko

Adam Caskey of WJLA/News Channel 8 is leaving for a job at KSAT in San Antonio. Caskey's last day at WJLA/NC8 will be April 18th.

(credits to DCRTV.com)

Curious what he'll be doing. KSAT's weather team is maxed out. HOWEVER, Steve Browne's contract is up soon and he says he'd like to lighten his load. So maybe he'll be doing some of the evening newscasts. Jeanne Jakle might have some details on this soon, so I'll wait to see what she has to say.

Sad news out of Atlanta and WSB TV. Herb Emory WSB traffic reporter stopped to help a car accident over the weekend passed away when he had a sudden heart attack.

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvspy/wsb-traffic-reporter-herb-emory-dies_b119167

Thoughts and prayers go out to his family as well as the entire WSB team. He was well known in that market and traffic reporting in Atlanta won't be the same anymore.

Thoughts and prayers go out to his family as well as the entire WSB team. He was well known in that market and traffic reporting in Atlanta won't be the same anymore.

My sentiments exactly was watching some of the videos WSB posted on their website and one of them it said his name along with "1953 - 2014" He left way too soon may he RIP and thoughts and prayers go out to his family, friends, and all of his colleagues at WSB-TV & WSB Radio.

I read on Twitter WYMT in Hazard, KY is getting HD. How does a station in the 25th largest market (WCNC) allow a station in HAZARD, KENTUCKY to beat them to HD? Even after the change to Gannett. WCNC should have got it a long time ago!

• rkolsen pinned, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • rkolsen locked this topic
  • rkolsen unlocked and pinned this topic