Out & About

TexasTVNews

TVSpy observed a blunder with a Facebook photo showing off a newly wrapped live truck used by KHSL-KNVN in Chico, California.

In the original photo, a disabled parking sign is visible under the back wheel of the truck. Shortly after this post (posted yesterday; Wednesday, March 5), the photo was changed; the only difference is that it is taken from a different angle and the disabled parking sign is still partially visible.

It seems that the ideal number of English-language local news operations to ensure profitability is:

Top 50 markets - 4

Markets 51 to 100 - 3

Markets 101 to 125 - 2 or 3

Markets 126 to 175 - 2

Markets 176 and up - 1

Based on that, a possible rule could be (for commercial stations only - PBS and non-commercial religious stations are excluded in the station counts):

* Top 50 markets - no sharing agreements with top-4 stations under any circumstances, maximum of 2 of the top 8 stations or 3 of the top 12 stations

* Markets 51 to 125 - no sharing agreements with top-3 stations, maximum of 2 of the top 7 stations

* Markets 126 and up - permitted except between top-2 stations (allows for competition in small markets), maximum of 2 of the top 5 stations

* Joint bargaining prohibited, must always be done separately with cable/satellite providers

It seems that the ideal number of English-language local news operations to ensure profitability is:

Top 50 markets - 4

Markets 51 to 100 - 3

Markets 101 to 125 - 2 or 3

Markets 126 to 175 - 2

Markets 176 and up - 1

Based on that, a possible rule could be (for commercial stations only - PBS and non-commercial religious stations are excluded in the station counts):

* Top 50 markets - no sharing agreements with top-4 stations under any circumstances, maximum of 2 of the top 8 stations or 3 of the top 12 stations

* Markets 51 to 125 - no sharing agreements with top-3 stations, maximum of 2 of the top 7 stations

* Markets 126 and up - permitted except between top-2 stations (allows for competition in small markets), maximum of 2 of the top 5 stations

* Joint bargaining prohibited, must always be done separately with cable/satellite providers

If the "Big 4" are the top four rated stations in each market, here's the issues in the top-50:

11. Detroit – WWJ CBS 62 (CBS O&O) no news

21. St. Louis – KDNL ABC 30 (Sinclair) no news

23. Pittsburgh – WPGH Fox 53 (Sinclair) news outsourced to WPXI

24. Raleigh-Durham – WRAL CBS 5 and WRAZ Fox 50 (both Capitol)

32. Columbus – WSYX ABC 6 and WTTE Fox 28 (both Sinclair; WTTE has LMA with Cunningham)

36. San Antonio – WOAI NBC 4 and KABB Fox 29 (both Sinclair)

38. West Palm Beach – WFLX Fox 29 (Raycom) news outsourced to WPTV

45. Hampton Roads – WAVY NBC 10 and WVBT Fox 43 (both LIN)

46. Piedmont Triad – WXLV ABC 45 (Sinclair) news outsourced to Time Warner Cable News (formerly News 14 Carolina)

47. Albuquerque – KRQE CBS 13 and KASA Fox 2 (both LIN)

48. Jacksonville – WTLV NBC 12 and WJXX ABC 25 (both Gannett) AND WAWS Fox 30 and WTEV CBS 47 (both Cox; WTEV has JSA with Bayshore); though there's independent WJXT channel 4

If the "Big 4" are the top four rated stations in each market, here's the issues in the top-50:

11. Detroit – WWJ CBS 62 (CBS O&O) no news

21. St. Louis – KDNL ABC 30 (Sinclair) no news

23. Pittsburgh – WPGH Fox 53 (Sinclair) news outsourced to WPXI

24. Raleigh-Durham – WRAL CBS 5 and WRAZ Fox 50 (both Capitol)

32. Columbus – WSYX ABC 6 and WTTE Fox 28 (both Sinclair; WTTE has LMA with Cunningham)

36. San Antonio – WOAI NBC 4 and KABB Fox 29 (both Sinclair)

38. West Palm Beach – WFLX Fox 29 (Raycom) news outsourced to WPTV

45. Hampton Roads – WAVY NBC 10 and WVBT Fox 43 (both LIN)

46. Piedmont Triad – WXLV ABC 45 (Sinclair) news outsourced to Time Warner Cable News (formerly News 14 Carolina)

47. Albuquerque – KRQE CBS 13 and KASA Fox 2 (both LIN)

48. Jacksonville – WTLV NBC 12 and WJXX ABC 25 (both Gannett) AND WAWS Fox 30 and WTEV CBS 47 (both Cox; WTEV has JSA with Bayshore); though there's independent WJXT channel 4

Hate to be blunt but you clearly do not know the San Antonio market. Because of the large Hispanic population, Univision 41 is always within the top 4 (sometimes #1 or #2 sign-on to sign-off [all day ratings]). Sometimes WOAI's in there, other times it's KABB. But the other is usually out of the top 4.

If Sinclair had to divest here, it would probably be KMYS. And that can easily be sold to Gannett, Post-Newsweek or even Corridor (owners of KCWX, whose COL is within the Austin market but is rated by Nielsen as part of the San Antonio market).

Another issue with the list.

WTLV/WJXX and WRAL/WRAZ are both commonly-owned duopolies that were created within the first year or two of legalization of duopolies. They were permissible because WJXX and WRAZ were new stations that had just recently acquired network affiliations.

They'll stand. KPHO/KTVK would also be an owned duopoly like this; the snarl in that case is the JSA with KASW.

Another issue with the list.

WTLV/WJXX and WRAL/WRAZ are both commonly-owned duopolies that were created within the first year or two of legalization of duopolies. They were permissible because WJXX and WRAZ were new stations that had just recently acquired network affiliations.

They'll stand. KPHO/KTVK would also be an owned duopoly like this; the snarl in that case is the JSA with KASW.

KASW is most likely to be sold separately if Wheeler gets his way. And, the most likely buyer that could make a standalone KASW successful is a Spanish-language broadcaster. The CW may have to go to a subchannel in Market 13 (I doubt Meredith would want to put underperforming CW programming on KTVK).

KASW is most likely to be sold separately if Wheeler gets his way. And, the most likely buyer that could make a standalone KASW successful is a Spanish-language broadcaster. The CW may have to go to a subchannel in Market 13 (I doubt Meredith would want to put underperforming CW programming on KTVK).

Could KAZT make a play for The CW, perhaps, and the syndicated inventory? I agree that KASW would be a valuable property for someone wanting to launch a Spanish-language operation.

Could KAZT make a play for The CW, perhaps, and the syndicated inventory? I agree that KASW would be a valuable property for someone wanting to launch a Spanish-language operation.

I don't know if KAZT would want The CW, especially if the contract terms aren't in their favor. They're a standalone independent, and the CEO of the family company that owns the station just passed away while the patriarch/chairman is getting up there in age, so they may be sale bait too...especially for the Class A in the Metro.

Very sad news to report, this one from Savannah, GA. WTOC 11 News anchor Mike Manhatton died last night from complications of cancer. Mike worked at the Savannah

CBS affiliate for 33 years - a phenomenal reporter and a dedicated anchorman.

All of us at TVNT want to offer our prayers and condolences to Mike Manhatton's family and the entire staff of WTOC 11 News. RIP, Mike and Godspeed.

http://www.wtoc.com/story/24944175/wtoc-loses-veteran-anchorman-and-family-member

It looks like Time Warner Cable is preparing to expand its regional cable news holdings with a new channel in San Antonio.

This isn't their first try; they attempted News 9 San Antonio in 2002, but disputes with Belo put an end to that channel, as well as News 24 Houston, and partially crippled News 14 Carolinas.

It looks like Time Warner Cable is preparing to expand its regional cable news holdings with a new channel in San Antonio.

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/jakle06/2014/03/time-warner-launching-s-a-news-channel/

I wonder how long this will last if the Comcrap-TW deal goes through. Seems like odd timing to announce something like this if there's a question of Comcrap even keeping the service after the merger.

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/jakle06/2014/03/time-warner-launching-s-a-news-channel/

It won't last. And I won't be watching because I do not subscribe to Time Warner nor do I plan on doing so. That's as much as I'll say.

This isn't their first try; they attempted News 9 San Antonio in 2002, but disputes with Belo put an end to that channel, as well as News 24 Houston, and partially crippled News 14 Carolinas.

Time Warner also couldn't financially sustain News9 on their own once they ended their agreement with Belo. News 14 seems to have since recovered.

I wonder how long this will last if the Comcrap-TW deal goes through. Seems like odd timing to announce something like this if there's a question of Comcrap even keeping the service after the merger.

Maybe TWC knows the deal with Comcast is going to fall through... ;) (kidding of course)

According to WeatheRate, WTVR's CBS 6 Storm Team provides the most accurate forecast in the Richmond area.

http://wtvr.com/2014/03/11/cbs-6-accurate-weather/

A realtor is suing KYW-TV for emotional distress and defamation, claiming the station aired a "preposterous and knowingly false story" about her.

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvspy/realtor-sues-kyw-for-defamation-emotional-distress_b117080

According to WeatheRate, WTVR's CBS 6 Storm Team provides the most accurate forecast in the Richmond area.

http://wtvr.com/2014/03/11/cbs-6-accurate-weather/

I wouldn't trust WeatheRate with a dime. In 2009 WFTV blasted WESH for using WeatheRate and promoting it, resulting in this gem of a post from this site:

WeatheRate is a company that goes around to stations around the country and "cooks" numbers to sell their ranking of accuracy to ANYONE who will buy it. The first station in a market who buys it, then WeatheRate will FIND a time when that station was the most accurate.

I saw this happen before in other markets when they called one station and told them that they had done an extensive study that they were the most accurate. Station "A" turned them down. The VERY NEXT DAY, they called station "B" and said the EXACT SAME THING. Station "B" bought it, and for 12 months ran promos stating that "according to WeatheRate, Station "B" has the most accurate forecast in the area"

A couple years ago the topic came up and we had a discussion on it. I love how Bruce Fixman, who owns WeatheRate, did not even know of Bay News 9's existence.

KOKH has sparked the inquiries of conspiracy theorists everywhere when it inadvertently cut into the premiere broadcast of Cosmos: A Space-Time Odyssey on Sunday (March 9). Video of the incident has gone viral, resulting in a lot of people theorizing that given Oklahoma's largely conservative ideologies (not to mention that KOKH's owner is the same one that preempted Nightline on its ABC stations when the program ran a list of soldiers killed in action during the Iraq War and ran specials scrutinizing Democratic presidential candidates), the station did it deliberately. As the story in the Los Angeles Times link below states, contrary to reports, the portion of the episode that was interrupted was not the only reference to evolution (directly or indirectly) in the broadcast.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/tv/showtracker/la-et-st-oklahoma-city-fox-affiliate-cuts-evolution-from-cosmos-20140313,0,4969385.story

As a person who has watched a lot of local television (we receive TV via antenna), KOKH's Twitter apology that this mishap was an operator error isn't far off. KOKH and KFOR-TV have blundered several times in running locally inserted commercial breaks when they were supposed to be airing a scene in a network program (KFOR has had these mishaps quite a number of times since the early 2000s at the earliest, though I remember this happening on KOKH a few times before, as recently as last fall). These kinds of errors doesn't happen very much with KWTV, KOCO or any of the other commercial stations in OKC.

KOKH will be rebroadcasting the premiere episode of Cosmos on Saturday at 7:00 p.m. local time, as Fox already had it scheduled to repeat that night.

KOKH has sparked the inquiries of conspiracy theorists everywhere when it inadvertently cut into the premiere broadcast of Cosmos: A Space-Time Odyssey on Sunday (March 9). Video of the incident has gone viral, resulting in a lot of people theorizing that given Oklahoma's largely conservative ideologies (not to mention that KOKH's owner is the same one that preempted Nightline on its ABC stations when the program ran a list of soldiers killed in action during the Iraq War and ran specials scrutinizing Democratic presidential candidates), the station did it deliberately. As the story in the Los Angeles Times link below states, contrary to reports, the portion of the episode that was interrupted was not the only reference to evolution (directly or indirectly) in the broadcast.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/tv/showtracker/la-et-st-oklahoma-city-fox-affiliate-cuts-evolution-from-cosmos-20140313,0,4969385.story

As a person who has watched a lot of local television (we receive TV via antenna), KOKH's Twitter apology that this mishap was an operator error isn't far off. KOKH and KFOR-TV have blundered several times in running locally inserted commercial breaks when they were supposed to be airing a scene in a network program (KFOR has had these mishaps quite a number of times since the early 2000s at the earliest, though I remember this happening on KOKH a few times before, as recently as last fall). These kinds of errors doesn't happen very much with KWTV, KOCO or any of the other commercial stations in OKC.

KOKH will be rebroadcasting the premiere episode of Cosmos on Saturday at 7:00 p.m. local time, as Fox already had it scheduled to repeat that night.

Oh Sinclair!

Actually I do think it was a miscue of some sort. I'm actually going to give them the benefit of the doubt on this one. An incredibly stupid miscue that should've been caught before the whole commercial ran-through, but a miscue nonetheless.

Oh Sinclair!

Actually I do think it was a miscue of some sort. I'm actually going to give them the benefit of the doubt on this one. An incredibly stupid miscue that should've been caught before the whole commercial ran-through, but a miscue nonetheless.

I should point out that the examples I mentioned regarding KFOR and KOKH, sometimes these miscues aren't caught in time. Whole commercial breaks have accidentally been miscued and the stations don't catch it in enough time, causing you to miss part of a program. I would think there would be someone at master control to override the incorrectly insterted break before promos or commercials run through once they interrupt a scene mid-program.

I should point out that the examples I mentioned regarding KFOR and KOKH, sometimes these miscues aren't caught in time. Whole commercial breaks have accidentally been miscued and the stations don't catch it in enough time, causing you to miss part of a program. I would think there would be someone at master control to override the incorrectly insterted break before promos or commercials run through once they interrupt a scene mid-program.

They were lucky to stop it after the first commercial. I think it was toward the tail end of that program too so that extended break could've gone on for a few minutes in one of the most crucial parts of that program. I remember watching it and thinking how beautifully done it was.

Longtime KSDK morning anchor Jennifer Blome has announced that she will be retiring from broadcasting, to take a position as director of humane education at the Animal Protective Association of Missouri. Blome's last day on-air will be March 28.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/metro/ksdk-s-jennifer-blome-retiring/article_69155ef4-3dd9-5d65-8e29-e02cc586c713.html

The FCC has greenlighted Gray's deal of WQCW today.

In November, they proposed that Excalibur would buy the station, and Gray would provide services. But on February 7, Gray itself re-filled to acquire the station outright, since it had enough stations in the Charleston/Huntington market to form a duo, plus WQCW in not within the top-4 higest rated stations.

I would not be shocked if they move WSAZ's 10pm news to WQCW within days after it closes.

And as expected, WSAZ will move it's 10pm news to WQCW this Monday. Also, their 10pm will be on for an hour.