KTLA's Chris Burrous dead at 43

SFTV

11 minutes ago, MorningNews said:

Hate to speculate but Fox 11 is reporting an accidental overdose in a Glendale hotel room.

http://www.foxla.com/news/local-news/ktla-news-anchor-found-dead-at-age-of-43

Something about showing the press conference live and all seems really shitty by Fox, but we shouldn't be surprised.

Burrous Death, 1st Ld
Date: 12-27-2018 11:24 PM - Word Count: 477

Burrous Death, 1st Ld
   KTLA Anchor Dies After Being Found Unconscious in Motel Room
   Eds: ADDS details. Glendale Police Sgt. Dan Suttles can be reached at
(818) 484-1089.
   GLENDALE (CNS) - KTLA-TV Channel 5 weekend anchor Chris Burrous was
found unconscious in a motel room in Glendale this afternoon and later
pronounced dead at a hospital.
   Police received a call about 1:15 p.m. from a man who said a man he
was with at the Days Inn, located at 450 Pioneer Drive, had passed out and was
possibly not breathing, according to Sgt. Dan Suttles of the Glendale Police
Department.
   Glendale firefighters responded to the scene and found Burrous, 43,
down inside a room and not breathing, Suttles said. CPR was administered and he
was taken to a hospital where he died.
   The original call to police stated Burrous may have overdosed, but
detectives will await the Los Angeles County coroner's office report for a
determination of the cause of death, Suttles said.
   ``Our thoughts and prayers go out to the Burrous family,'' KTLA
President and general manager Don Corsini and news director Jason Ball said in
a joint statement tonight.
   ``Chris loved sharing the stories of Southern California and
connecting with our viewers. He will be remembered as a great journalist and a
wonderful friend to many. He brought a kindness to his work and will be deeply
missed by the entire KTLA family.''
   KTLA entertainment anchor Sam Rubin tweeted his condolences, calling
Burrous death, ``heartbreaking and horrible.''
   ``What Chris Burrous did was connect -- with all of us, every day, and
most especially on the weekends'' Rubin said. ``He deeply loved his wife
and his daughter; and all of you who watched him. A large community is in
mourning tonight.''
   Burrous graduated from Chapman University in Orange with a degree in
broadcast journalism and began a two-decade career in news which started at
KCKC-AM and KCXX-FM in San Bernardino while he was still in school.
   He moved on to KNTV-TV and KLIV-AM in San Jose, then KEVN-TV in Rapid
City, South Dakota. He joined KGET in Bakersfield in 1999 as a morning news
anchor and it was there he met his wife, Mai Do-Burrous. The couple married in
2003 and share a 9-year-old daughter, Isabella, the statement said.
   Burrous career led him to KGPE in Fresno, KMAX in Sacramento and KTLA
sister station WPIX in New York City. He told the New York Daily News he asked
for a transfer to Los Angeles so his daughter could grow up near her
grandparents, the station said.
   Burrous was credited with helping to extend the ``KTLA Morning News''
to seven days a week, anchoring weekends and covering breaking news on weekday
mornings, the station said. His weekend ``Burrous' Bites'' segments, which
featured the best hole-in-the-wall eateries Southern California has to offer,
were a viewer favorite.

CNS-12-27-2018 23:24

7 hours ago, 24994J said:

http://www.foxla.com/news/local-news/ktla-news-anchor-found-dead-at-age-of-43

Something about showing the press conference live and all seems really shitty by Fox, but we shouldn't be surprised.

7 hours ago, MorningNews said:

Absolutely agree, especially considering this same station couldn’t even be bothered to run coverage of the wildfires a month ago as they broke out during the 10 pm news. KTTV is gutter.

A public figure has suddenly died and it’s  wrong to show the live presser that would shed new details on the death and be of interest to viewers? Did you think it was not hard for his friends and people at KTTV who knew him to make the correct decision to cover the story the way they would any other story?

And so what about their wildfire coverage? Look at each story individually. 

It’s a sad situation and likely very tough to deal with for KTLA, but they should’ve given all the facts and details that were publicly available when first reporting the story. That’s their job.

1 hour ago, wabceyewitness said:

A public figure has suddenly died and it’s  wrong to show the live presser that would shed new details on the death and be of interest to viewers? Did you think it was not hard for his friends and people at KTTV who knew him to make the correct decision to cover the story the way they would any other story?

And so what about their wildfire coverage? Look at each story individually. 

It’s a sad situation and likely very tough to deal with for KTLA, but they should’ve given all the facts and details that were publicly available when first reporting the story. That’s their job.

You’re missing the point and a thread that should solely be about Chris and his untimely passing is not the place to fill in your mental gaps regarding my statement.

39 minutes ago, MorningNews said:

You’re missing the point and a thread that should solely be about Chris and his untimely passing is not the place to fill in your mental gaps regarding my statement.

Right. Says the person who was part of the initial posts moving the comments away from “a thread that should solely be about Chris.”  🙄 please, get over yourself. This is a forum to comment on TV NEWS, and all aspects of it. I’m not going to start another thread to discuss coverage of this person’s death just because you feel this thread should be filled with in memorium statements after you and another poster already took it off that topic.  

2 hours ago, wabceyewitness said:

Right. Says the person who was part of the initial posts moving the comments away from “a thread that should solely be about Chris.”  🙄 please, get over yourself. This is a forum to comment on TV NEWS, and all aspects of it. I’m not going to start another thread to discuss coverage of this person’s death just because you feel this thread should be filled with in memorium statements after you and another poster already took it off that topic.  

In regards to the circumstances around his death, not a debate on another stations coverage of it. But continue talking to yourself because your muted on my end.

Okay. I'll bring it back on-topic.

How did KTLA cover it this morning? They must've been in mourning all morning long and god knows how Lynette (Romero) feels right now having been Burrous' partner on the weekend morning news since it launched in 2011.

1 hour ago, TheRolyPoly said:

How did KTLA cover it this morning? They must've been in mourning all morning long and god knows how Lynette (Romero) feels right now having been Burrous' partner on the weekend morning news since it launched in 2011.

https://ktla.com/2018/12/28/ktlas-weekend-news-team-remembers-chris-burrous/  here's Lynette's tribute.

Assuming Lynette is in for tomorrow morning's show, I wonder if she'll be solo or have someone else with her? I know it's way too early to talk about a potential replacement, but I think Eric Spillman would be a fantastic person for the job, he's long overdue for a full-time anchoring gig.

Lynette wasn't Burrous' original partner when the weekend Morning News launched. When the weekend show launched in 2011, it was Mary Beth McDade alongside Chris. Then MB, as she is affectionately known, went to be one of KTLA's key nightside reporters. She was replaced by Wendy Burch. Chris and Wendy had great chemistry, but Wendy was quickly jettisoned for unknown reasons. The word on the street is that her dog was regularly leaving "gifts" on the set. After Wendy, Lynette was tapped to replace her. I am sure Lynette is devastated. She also anchored for a few years with the legendary Hal Fishman on News at Ten. For her to lose a second co-anchor during her LA career has to be tough to say the least. Don't think Eric would take the weekend gig. Waaaaaaaay to early to speculate on a replacement, but my bet would be on Mark Mester.

4 hours ago, TheRolyPoly said:

Chris Schauble, Christina Pascussi, Liberte Chan and Kirk Hawkins opened the 4 am newscast this morning with tears, it was incredibly tough. Dayna Devon and Lauren Lyster joined later in the morning to share their memories, Dayna had a brief breakdown and most everyone else did with her. Eric Spillman and Lu Parker anchored for Jessica and Frank and did exceptional providing their memories on Chris. It was really a nice program this morning.

1 hour ago, FiveNews said:

Lynette wasn't Burrous' original partner when the weekend Morning News launched. When the weekend show launched in 2011, it was Mary Beth McDade alongside Chris. Then MB, as she is affectionately known, went to be one of KTLA's key nightside reporters. She was replaced by Wendy Burch. Chris and Wendy had great chemistry, but Wendy was quickly jettisoned for unknown reasons. The word on the street is that her dog was regularly leaving "gifts" on the set. After Wendy, Lynette was tapped to replace her. I am sure Lynette is devastated. She also anchored for a few years with the legendary Hal Fishman on News at Ten. For her to lose a second co-anchor during her LA career has to be tough to say the least. Don't think Eric would take the weekend gig. Waaaaaaaay to early to speculate on a replacement, but my bet would be on Mark Mester.

Thank you for this summary, as I saw Chris sitting next to several different anchors during the throwback clips this morning. Lu Parker was in several of them and mentioned that she anchored the weekend show with Chris from 2012-2014.

Something tells me that Eric Spillman doesn't have an anchor gig by his choice considering he's been there for decades and has been a prominent part of the program throughout that time. Mark Mester to me makes the most sense as he was Chris' primary fill in.

large.C380617C-F111-4643-9846-6A0D411738B4.jpeg.32196404e162820790b1b97e90adb29f.jpeglarge.5A62A1D2-5712-46A2-A07C-B5AE398A16B0.jpeg.21f27717d6dca416837fe804452fac78.jpegCompletely gutted as KTLA just closed out their morning long celebration of Chris's life. One of the most difficult things I've watched on TV ever.

Chris could easily get under your skin even as a viewer, but the magic he brought through the TV cannot be denied. Not sure how even a station with so many talents as KTLA has can manage to appropriately fill his shoes. Gone incredibly too soon, he will be eternally missed.

Chris Schauble is anchoring with Liberte in studio, while Lynette and Dayna are in Pasadena to tee up the Tournament or Roses Parade.

I know this is highly unlikely, but Schauble would have made a great replacement for Burrous. He has the energy and humour to push the show through like Burrous. Maybe he could fill in for a while until the station finds a suitable replacement. 

9 hours ago, ED2 said:

Chris Schauble is anchoring with Liberte in studio, while Lynette and Dayna are in Pasadena to tee up the Tournament or Roses Parade.

I know this is highly unlikely, but Schauble would have made a great replacement for Burrous. He has the energy and humour to push the show through like Burrous. Maybe he could fill in for a while until the station finds a suitable replacement. 

Though Schauble is the lesser of my favorite Chris’ at KTLA, I had that same thought watching him anchor this morning. He and Lynette have incredible chemistry as well, but I doubt KTLA would want to tinker with the widely successful Early Edition.

On Saturday’s memorial program station President Jason Ball said we won’t truly understand the brilliance that was Burrous until it comes time to find a worthy replacement. There was simply no other like him.

Archived