Logos used after their retirement

Jared DiCarlo

In this thread, let’s discuss station logos that still popped up after they were replaced.

For example, WFLD was apparently still using this circa late 80s-early 90s paid programming slide as late as 2005, despite having undergone several changes in appearance.157726E3-7282-46F4-9FBA-E0BC65F32BA9.jpeg.95ce93231ec659339431674075ed92e5.jpeg

And here’s an example that I’ve seen myself; a couple of months ago, WNYT preceded the start of their normal Saturday morning educational shows with an intro that looked like it came from the late 90s, complete with their unshaded 90s logo. I had never seen this intro before, and I haven’t seen it since, so, I unfortunately don’t have any pictures to show you.

1 hour ago, Jared DiCarlo said:

In this thread, let’s discuss station logos that still popped up after they were replaced.

For example, WFLD was apparently still using this circa late 80s-early 90s paid programming slide as late as 2005, despite having undergone several changes in appearance.157726E3-7282-46F4-9FBA-E0BC65F32BA9.jpeg.95ce93231ec659339431674075ed92e5.jpeg

And here’s an example that I’ve seen myself; a couple of months ago, WNYT preceded the start of their normal Saturday morning educational shows with an intro that looked like it came from the late 90s, complete with their unshaded 90s logo. I had never seen this intro before, and I haven’t seen it since, so, I unfortunately don’t have any pictures to show you.

The old Fox 32 logo was still used for their Community Calander, at least in December of 1993:

That was taped in the early days of Fox Chicago,  with MTV style graphics and promos like this one that aired around that time: 

1 hour ago, TriangleTriadMediaNews said:

For five or so years after WUSA abandoned the "Eyewitness News" moniker, their newscast intros still referenced the old branding until the HD flip in 2005, however it was dropped from the voiceovers and reporters tagged out "9 News".  

9news.PNG

Not to mention their last graphics set with the WDVM square 9, where it was just "9 News" (though the EWN name remained elsewhere),

image.png.0b6a9efc9dfddd9ce94bedaf4fc9bb7f.png

On 12/21/2018 at 11:10 AM, Jared DiCarlo said:

I know the exact intro you speak of, they were using it back during the NBC Stations era. It's impressive that that survived this year, especially since everything else that it lingered on (largely the interview area of the old set and their coffee mugs) was purged with the new set. Not to get too political, but that screams "why should we update this if an E/I rollback is inevitable?" deal even if such a rollback still hasn't happened.

WNYT's logo tweaks in general always have had a glacial feeling to them. It took a good year to ease from the vertically-oriented Viacom-era arrangement to the horizontal Hubbard-era arrangement and the early 2000's had periods where the chubbier Viacom-era 13 was side by side with the (unshaded) skinnier Hubbard-era 13. If more 2002-04 stuff surfaced, it would further demonstrate the subtle yet stark difference between the two.

12 hours ago, scrabbleship said:

I know the exact intro you speak of, they were using it back during the NBC Stations era. It's impressive that that survived this year, especially since everything else that it lingered on (largely the interview area of the old set and their coffee mugs) was purged with the new set. Not to get too political, but that screams "why should we update this if an E/I rollback is inevitable?" deal even if such a rollback still hasn't happened.

WNYT's logo tweaks in general always have had a glacial feeling to them. It took a good year to ease from the vertically-oriented Viacom-era arrangement to the horizontal Hubbard-era arrangement and the early 2000's had periods where the chubbier Viacom-era 13 was side by side with the (unshaded) skinnier Hubbard-era 13. If more 2002-04 stuff surfaced, it would further demonstrate the subtle yet stark difference between the two.

Speaking of the unshaded logo, I still see it on public service announcements that our local MeTV affiliate airs every night. 

Back on topic, WTOV in Steubenville, OH, continued to use NBC’s “Proud N” logo in their on-air slides until at least early 1988.

4135042D-0865-4F69-AE9B-C0889FED58A0.jpeg.874e4bd4bb8ca3bc0220812eb96679b4.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Awhile backColDayNews posted a screenshot of a FOX network test pattern where the early 90s era logo was seen at the top left corner, so apparently FOX still uses their old logos on things like production slates. I have also seen WTTG's old logo (which resembles that of 20th century fox) pop up during technical difficulties as late as 2004

Closing this thread because it's just not good for discussion. Every example so far has just been something old that nobody has bothered to update. This isn't some conscious decision being made to keep an old logo around as some sort of wink or nod to fans, they're all things that nobody cares enough to update.  A satellite slate with an old FOX logo works just as well as one with a new one. You're not supposed to see them anyways.

The last thing anyone in a TV station is thinking when they see the Technical Difficulties slide pop up is "Gosh, the logo on that is so old! We better fix that!"

Archived