KTNV Getting New Set

rdtv

KTNV, the Scripps-owned ABC affiliate in Las Vegas, is readying a new set. Construction just started after Thanksgiving. Their outgoing set was built in 2014, which leaves KVVU as the only Vegas station without an updated studio — KLAS and KSNV both updated in 2016. KVVU last updated their main set in 2011.

Some examples... Looks like even their chroma wall is out of action. Weather is done from a monitor.

Screen_Shot_2018-12-06_at_12_59.19_AM.thumb.png.655109d5a669bc2f179df87de680a297.png

Damn, that temporary setup is better than some actual news sets in some markets. I hope they'll hold onto it when the new studio is done, could make for a good aux set.

that "temporary" setup is their "Breaking News Center" off in the corner of the newsroom... been there about 3 years now... weather is being done in front of the hole to the studio from the newsroom... the teal and wood panels on the left were installed when "valley view live" debut so they could hide the newsroom...

interesting note: some segments from the morning blend are still being done in the studio... journal cheaped out on that building... there is only one studio... zero auxiliary space for production... no part of the building could fit that corner of the morning blend set except the studio... my money is on this being more of a refresh than a new set...

The Morning Blend was off today because the set is "near completion".

On December 3rd, they did a little Behind the Scenes tour that showed the studio under construction. It looks like they might have pre-taped all the stuff that's been airing on the set this whole time.

It doesn't look very impressive. One corner for news, one for Blend, and the former Weather set area is going to be a chroma wall for a virtual set. It looks like the 2x5 monitor wall is sticking around as well.

Meh.

1 hour ago, Weeters said:

It doesn't look very impressive. One corner for news, one for Blend, and the former Weather set area is going to be a chroma wall for a virtual set. It looks like the 2x5 monitor wall is sticking around as well.

Meh.

Yeah, can't say I'm blown away. Overall, the whole set doesn't really look that big. I'm assuming some sort of physical "weather center" will be built somewhere, and the virtual chroma area will be off in its own corner.

Anyone else catch the ~yellow~ columns? I hope those are just protective covers, because... Yikes.

Screen_Shot_2018-12-15_at_12_54.40_AM.thumb.png.9f89cd72deebffa794cb3bdd7b558831.png

Today's the day! KTNV debuted their new set at 11 AM. Photos from Justin Bruce on Twitter.

Main desk:

DuzYcL5XgAAyUp5.thumb.jpg.e1a811f3103b0a633f42b0eb500b879c.jpg

"Large monitor area":

DuzY3S-XcAA2pRT.thumb.jpg.0322fc6ed5a3889d5441d6ead65cc09d.jpg

"Morning Blend" set and standup area:

DuzYMFAXcAYtSoa.thumb.jpg.86b1168b0ae9626d1c0e46cf66671eac.jpg

Secondary standup area:

DuzYpbEWwAEAcCy.thumb.jpg.6e5d97c07f6c488c0b38e88a9c962449.jpg

Not a bad set, but nothing really groundbreaking here. The monitors on the Morning Blend set are almost entirely useless during that show. In most shots, all you see are a few inches of the bottom.

The background of that secondary standup area is... something else. All that orange really doesn't look great on the dark set. Maybe a newsroom refresh is on it's way and they'll open it back up after that.

Is it just me or did they not invest in lighting for this new set? I like it, it's a very sterile set meaning it's not overly flashy but my God is it dark!

It doesn't look awful at all. Not the most flashy, but it'll serve its purpose well. It'd look great a small market.

12 hours ago, KentBrockman said:

Is it just me or did they not invest in lighting for this new set? I like it, it's a very sterile set meaning it's not overly flashy but my God is it dark!

That's probably the intent.

It's not a spectacular set, but it's not small market (better not be! Vegas' DMA rank is in the 40s). That being said, the lighting could be a little brighter but I guess Scripps wants to save on electricity so the sales weasels can have ice cold A/C.

On 12/22/2018 at 7:52 AM, NEOMatrix said:

It's not a spectacular set, but it's not small market (better not be! Vegas' DMA rank is in the 40s). That being said, the lighting could be a little brighter but I guess Scripps wants to save on electricity so the sales weasels can have ice cold A/C.

Las Vegas moved up a notch to DMA 39.

Archived