WRDW switches to Guardian from Enforcer V.1

THIS THREAD WAS ORIGINALLY TITLED: “WRDW drops 615's Icon for CBS Enforcer”

...And not even decent cuts. The midday show used the morning cut from Series 2.

The 5pm and 5:30 newscasts used the Series 1 primary theme.

The 6pm newscast used the Promo cut from Series 2. http://www.newsmusicnow.com/player.php?id=806

It seems they're using one cut per newscast. What a huge downgrade from what they were using before.

Download the SBTV app to see for yourself.

1 hour ago, KentBrockman said:

...And not even decent cuts. The midday show used the morning cut from Series 2.

The 5pm and 5:30 newscasts used the Series 1 primary theme.

The 6pm newscast used the Promo cut from Series 2. http://www.newsmusicnow.com/player.php?id=806

It seems they're using one cut per newscast. What a huge downgrade from what they were using before.

Download the SBTV app to see for yourself.

Yeesh. That cut they had for the Midday news sounded horrible. 

Wow.

— Matt

13 hours ago, susquvalleywgal said:

Yeesh. That cut they had for the Midday news sounded horrible. 

Wow.

— Matt

It seems they used the main cut of Series 2 at 11pm last night, it actually fit the open and sounded great but the bed should have been a bit longer.

They used the Series 2 morning cut at 4:30am, but then used a very dark somber cut from The NBC Collection (with NBC chimes mind you) at 5 and 6am. The NBC Collection is used for WAGT-only shows and not the CBS simulcasts, but it seems they are just pulling cuts out of a hat. It's atrocious.

...oooookay then. I don't know what it is they're smoking over there now, but I'd definitely like some. They're not even using edits appropriate for the length of their headlines after the open (not even getting into the sin of teasing stories before and after said open). C'mon guys, take a walk through your CDs here. Even I could do better than this.

17 minutes ago, ChesapeakeTV said:

...oooookay then. I don't know what it is they're smoking over there now, but I'd definitely like some. They're not even using edits appropriate for the length of their headlines after the open (not even getting into the sin of teasing stories before and after said open). C'mon guys, take a walk through your CDs here. Even I could do better than this.

As a former employee of that station, I can tell you right now that management is clueless and so is their production manager who is in charge of that stuff.

Also, did anyone notice the (c) copyright logo next to the bug and any on-air logos? Seems that's a new thing they're doing now. How many other stations do you know that put that next to their logo? :classic_blink:

18 hours ago, KentBrockman said:

Also, did anyone notice the (c) copyright logo next to the bug and any on-air logos? Seems that's a new thing they're doing now. How many other stations do you know that put that next to their logo? :classic_blink:

That’s odd. Usually the copyright symbol isn’t included next to logos.

The registered trademark logo (®) might be included next to some TV station logos, but definitely not in every applicable use. WDBJ’s done this with the “Your Hometown Station” slogan in their logo.

WDBJ7+YHS+Web+Logo.png

14 hours ago, East Texas Born and Proud said:

I like that they use the older versions of CBS Enforcer. It helps hold the longevity of that theme and showcases how well-fitting that theme really is.

You clearly haven't seen their execution of it then.

9 hours ago, KentBrockman said:

You clearly haven't seen their execution of it then.

While their execution of the theme is not the best, their choice of cuts is pretty decent. Some of them don't fit the length needed or are too long, but at least, they are using them. There are not very many stations that use themes that are 25+ years old, such as CBS Enforcer, and it is nice and satisfying to see that those few select stations that use those classic themes today.

• 11 months later...

Just over a year later and color me shocked...

WRDW (which I went on a long-winded rant about on the forums this morning) switched to SAM’s Guardian this afternoon dropping Enforcer V.1.

Before you get your hopes up though, just as done before, the ND selected the worst cut of Guardian to use over and over again (and uses a version without the signature that doesn’t fit the open). The graphics remain the same.

7 hours ago, KentBrockman said:

Just over a year later and color me shocked...

WRDW (which I went on a long-winded rant about on the forums this morning) switched to SAM’s Guardian this afternoon dropping Enforcer V.1.

Before you get your hopes up though, just as done before, the ND selected the worst cut of Guardian to use over and over again (and uses a version without the signature that doesn’t fit the open). The graphics remain the same.

Mama mia 🤦‍♂️

I have a feeling WRDW/WAGT switch to Guardian because their competitor (WJBF) just switched their music (360). Who would switch their music within a year?

11 hours ago, KentBrockman said:

Before you get your hopes up though, just as done before, the ND selected the worst cut of Guardian to use over and over again (and uses a version without the signature that doesn’t fit the open)

They don't have a CSD there?

33 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

I have a feeling WRDW/WAGT switch to Guardian because their competitor (WJBF) just switched their music (360). Who would switch their music within a year?

They don't have a CSD there?

They do, but the news director is one of those who literally calls all the shots. 🙄

On 12/17/2019 at 5:58 AM, KentBrockman said:

They do, but the news director is one of those who literally calls all the shots. 🙄

And that there is dysfunction from the top when the Creative Service department is powerless against news.   Hate to think what Sales is doing to them as well.

Believe me I've lived through the lack of a creative service department.  It is HELL.

I’ve checked out some more newscasts on NewsOn and it looks like WRDW is starting to experiment with a few more cuts. The main theme (minus the signature) has made it into the evening newscast opens but it still doesn’t fit. The morning newscast is using the cut that they were first using mentioned previously. They also ran a breaking news open during their noon newscast yesterday that used a unique Breaking News cut.

So it seems like they’re still experimenting, but the package as a whole still doesn’t fit the graphics or the opens at all.

On 12/19/2019 at 1:57 PM, KentBrockman said:

I’ve checked out some more newscasts on NewsOn and it looks like WRDW is starting to experiment with a few more cuts. The main theme (minus the signature) has made it into the evening newscast opens but it still doesn’t fit. The morning newscast is using the cut that they were first using mentioned previously. They also ran a breaking news open during their noon newscast yesterday that used a unique Breaking News cut.

So it seems like they’re still experimenting, but the package as a whole still doesn’t fit the graphics or the opens at all.

Not sure if it would be in place in Augusta, but they should call those at WAVE in Louisville who made a package to perfection.

Archived