WISC (finally) getting a new set

AJClementeFan69

The music sounds new and custom. Could be by Inthegroove since they previous used them with Pride. Either way, I like the way it sounds, it's a nice signature.

I don't think the logo is all that bad, to be fair it replaced a dinosaur and definitely looks good compared to most uninspired shit people put out today. The set is also very nice.

The graphics are not my favorite, but they'll do. Overall, this is an upgrade worthy of 2019 and not 1993 and I'm very impressed.

I also like that they are using the "Channel3000.com Alert Center" as a tie in to their newscasts. For a good majority of people here who are criticizing all of this, you need to understand that most news organizations work backwards now. News starts online and on digital and is then put out on newscasts and not the other way around, it's 2019. If anyone chooses to put news on-air and then online then they are shooting themselves in the foot because people don't actively watch newscasts anymore, they get their news on their phones when they want to get their news. It seems like WISC (and keeping a nod to their historic Channel3000.com brand) decided to promote that they are a digital first newsroom and newscasts are secondary to them which I applaud because that's where things are heading.

9 minutes ago, bhratbrat said:

TL..The font comes literally from the Gill Sans family.

The music I have no clue on either..it is different. Plus using some way outdated branding of the Channel 3000 alert center.

I'm aware of the font being used. The weights they used just weren't the right choice. If they used one of the "regular" or "light" weights of Gill Sans, it might have looked a little better. The theme music isn't bad at all... the signature and arrangement make it easy for it to become an earworm-worthy tune.

27 minutes ago, Ramona said:

The problem with the logo is that the ring around the 3 is too thick and competes for attention with the 3 logo. (Is it supposed to be a C?) The use of Gill Sans in the rest of the identity clashes quite a bit.

From Channel 3's website:

New logo: New connections

The logo representing the prior brands of News 3 and WISC-TV has gone through a number of iterations over the years, increasingly featuring our digital efforts on Channel 3000.  

The new “3” aims to evoke a simple concept -- News 3 Now and Channel 3000 are a unified newsroom aiming to provide the viewer with the most urgent, accurate and relevant information in our area.  Those who are graphic-design inclined may notice the "C" shape in the circle as well as the "play" button, both visual representations of our digital presence. 

Viewers will find that logo now on all News 3 Now and Channel 3000 social media channels.  News 3 Now aims to be a place that wants to engage with and hear from the community it serves.

1 hour ago, Ramona said:

The problem with the logo is that the ring around the 3 is too thick and competes for attention with the 3 logo. (Is it supposed to be a C?) The use of Gill Sans in the rest of the identity clashes quite a bit.

Yes. It's meant to show "Channel 3." Its pretty hidden, just like how Wendy's and Amazon logos are hidden.

8 hours ago, KentBrockman said:

The music sounds new and custom. Could be by Inthegroove since they previous used them with Pride. Either way, I like the way it sounds, it's a nice signature.

I don't think the logo is all that bad, to be fair it replaced a dinosaur and definitely looks good compared to most uninspired shit people put out today. The set is also very nice.

The graphics are not my favorite, but they'll do. Overall, this is an upgrade worthy of 2019 and not 1993 and I'm very impressed.

I also like that they are using the "Channel3000.com Alert Center" as a tie in to their newscasts. For a good majority of people here who are criticizing all of this, you need to understand that most news organizations work backwards now. News starts online and on digital and is then put out on newscasts and not the other way around, it's 2019. If anyone chooses to put news on-air and then online then they are shooting themselves in the foot because people don't actively watch newscasts anymore, they get their news on their phones when they want to get their news. It seems like WISC (and keeping a nod to their historic Channel3000.com brand) decided to promote that they are a digital first newsroom and newscasts are secondary to them which I applaud because that's where things are heading.

Along these lines, logos are being designed to look good as app icons, not because they look nice on-air.

This logo and the WXIA logo that nobody on here likes are prime examples of "digital first" logo design.

As I previously mentioned on Discord, WISC's new music is a custom package from In The Groove, confirmed by someone there when I reached out to them on Facebook. The name of it is yet to be determined.

31 minutes ago, roscoryan said:

I like the new set, and the music is good too.  The new logo, fonts, and overall look is way too "Tegna" for my liking though.

"Tegna" is the new normal. Flat is what is "in". Gaudy, unnecessarily glossy 3D is not coming back any time soon.

1 hour ago, Weeters said:

"Tegna" is the new normal. Flat is what is "in". Gaudy, unnecessarily glossy 3D is not coming back any time soon.

I like the flat look...I was referring more to the look of the logo and the fonts used.  Not very attractive to me, kind of like some of Tegna's recent work.  A "digital logo" can still look attractive, and not look like something somebody would throw together in 5 minutes on Microsoft Paint.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Archived