WISC (finally) getting a new set

AJClementeFan69

Say what you want about WISC, those graphics (definitely Linear Drift) and Pride by Inthegroove Music is just beautiful. Also, for being over a decade old, Pride still holds up very well. I wish more stations used it.

18 minutes ago, KentBrockman said:

Say what you want about WISC, those graphics (definitely Linear Drift) and Pride by Inthegroove Music is just beautiful. Also, for being over a decade old, Pride still holds up very well. I wish more stations used it.

I hope they keep the graphics. Probably one of the best mid-market packages out there.

16 hours ago, KentBrockman said:

those graphics (definitely Linear Drift)

Doubt it. If you look closely, half of it is actually a knockoff of the Scripps Renderon package. They've had dynamic lower thirds almost identical to these for several graphics packages at this point. They just swap out the color palette every few years.

I feel like they've had this package for long enough, it'd be on Rey's demo reel if it was his. 🙄

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Eyewitness News-man said:

I like it too.

Simple, yes; flat, absolutely;

but it does it's purpose well. I'm sure it'll animate better when it makes it's on-air debut.

Morgan Murphy always went by its own drummer...it's a good retro-classic design. It's not a market where they automatically win for being on VHF any longer, but they got a good 29 years out of that older logo and at least this isn't yet another 'Helvetica + Network' committee design. It'll probably pop more on-screen than it does with Facebook's bad JPG processing.

And in all of that noise...WIFS waved the white flag and switched from indie to an Ion Life primary/Ion on 57.9, with Ion departing WISC-DT3 (and I won't be shocked if we get a 'Ion Media Networks is purchasing WIFS' release in the next two weeks). It's a WBNX-like fall for them, but much slower.

Definitely a Devlin set.

Given the station's past "borrowing" design (i.e. that obvious Scripps knockoff package they previously had) from WTMJ, I have to wonder how much of this set (and perhaps even the designer) was inspired from Milwaukee. There are some common elements present on WTMJ's set (like the weird angled desk platform) not seen on recent Devlin sets that seem to have made a comeback here...

8 hours ago, WFTV Channel 9 said:

Not a fan of the logo myself.

It gives an international TV vibe to me though for some reason. Like it looks similar to another 3 logo I've seen but I can't think of which station.

TV3 Ireland, which is now Virgin Media Television?

7 hours ago, Weeters said:

Definitely a Devlin set.

Given the station's past "borrowing" design (i.e. that obvious Scripps knockoff package they previously had) from WTMJ, I have to wonder how much of this set (and perhaps even the designer) was inspired from Milwaukee. There are some common elements present on WTMJ's set (like the weird angled desk platform) not seen on recent Devlin sets that seem to have made a comeback here...

I was going to say that  most of that set looks to be straight out of the current Hearst set toolbox, particularly the light bar that circles the set and the circular wood inset in the floor. Add in a few 45 degree angle set design pieces and it'd be indistinguishable from a Hearst set.

The logo is mediocre, they could have used a better typeface setup, especially with the "News Now" text (which, when combined with the new "circle 3," reminds me of the original News Now 53 logo).

News_Now_53.gif

BTW, exactly what is the theme they're using? It's not ringing any bells as something familiar.

Archived