Nexstar to acquire Tribune

CircleSeven

Checking in on Ohio and the daily "Wine with DeWine" 2pm press conferences.

WKBN and WYTV are simulcasting WCMH's feed (with their graphics), while the other Ohio-based Nexstar stations are using their own graphics.  WTRF and WOWK are not showing it, despite large viewership bases in Ohio.

WTOV 9.1 is showing it in Steubenville, as well as WSAZ in Huntington and WCHS in Charleston.

I'm sure this has something to do with the nature of WKBN/WYTV's operation or operational efficiency, and not some COVID-19 based reason why the control rooms aren't operating at this time. 

WKBN and WYTV have their own respective bugs and crawls on screen.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, Nelson R. said:

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2020/4/12/the-boss-is-bounced-in-charlotte

Not really a surprise but Nexstar will hire their own GM for WJZY/WMYT

The continuation of the running into the ground of WJZY/WMYT.  I'll be happy when Fox reacquires this duo because Nexstar cannot even function properly as company as a whole.  Nexstar are too damn cheap to operate a major market station.  What you apply in mid-sized and smaller markets cannot fly in a region where 150 new residents moving to it daily.  That screenshot in the previous story on FTVLive proves even staff wants Nexstar gone from them because Nexstar doesn't understand larger markets.  I still believe Fox just wants Nexstar to blow money on WJZY/WMYT, so that they offer a future swap of one or two throwaway stations like WOFL/WOGX, KRIV, or KTBC. (Yeah, KRIV is a throwaway station to Fox because it's not a NFC market).

I had to tweet Nexstar that WJZY/WMYT are not airing a legally required station ID at the top and bottom of each hour nor have their on-air bug on the syndicated non-network programming.  All of a sudden both came back.  An everyday viewer shouldn't have to tell them you have to do air your legal station ID on both stations because it's required to maintain a broadcasting license with the FCC.

3 hours ago, jero23 said:

The continuation of the running into the ground of WJZY/WMYT.  I'll be happy when Fox reacquires this duo because Nexstar cannot even function properly as company as a whole.  Nexstar are too damn cheap to operate a major market station.  What you apply in mid-sized and smaller markets cannot fly in a region where 150 new residents moving to it daily.  That screenshot in the previous story on FTVLive proves even staff wants Nexstar gone from them because Nexstar doesn't understand larger markets.  I still believe Fox just wants Nexstar to blow money on WJZY/WMYT, so that they offer a future swap of one or two throwaway stations like WOFL/WOGX, KRIV, or KTBC. (Yeah, KRIV is a throwaway station to Fox because it's not a NFC market).

I had to tweet Nexstar that WJZY/WMYT are not airing a legally required station ID at the top and bottom of each hour nor have their on-air bug on the syndicated non-network programming.  All of a sudden both came back.  An everyday viewer shouldn't have to tell them you have to do air your legal station ID on both stations because it's required to maintain a broadcasting license with the FCC.

I think such a change like this can happen when a station is bought by a different group (in this case, Nexstar).

HulkieD wrote an excellent post not long after the sale of WKBW in Buffalo to Scripps was announced on some of the changes he predicted would happen once the sale went through, and the process the station goes through when a group wants to make said station operate better (for the benefit of the group and to the station as a whole). It’s in the thread “Granite sells stations to Quincy & Scripps” on this website (not sure if it’s General TV or Corporate Chat), and it’s worth reading. If you can’t find the thread, just Google “tvnewstalk ‘lighthouse closing animation,’” and it should take you to the respective page....

I think we can all agree changes were going to be made once WJZY/WMYT became part of Nexstar.  And honestly, some changes needed to be made.  Fox Television Stations were starting to make far wiser and better decisions compared to the absolute disaster when WJZY launched in-house newscasts, but they still quite a way to go in becoming as competitive as stations that have been around for decades longer in our market.

For example, Nexstar needs to have WJZY make much better use of the Beyond music than using just one bumper cut for almost everything.  Of course music is a minor issue (if an issue at all), but that points out that WJZY has plenty of room for improvement--and hopefully Nexstar is equipped to make improvements happen.

4 hours ago, jero23 said:

I wouldn't call WOFL and KRIV "throwaway" stations.  They may not be the 800-pound gorilla that WFTV and KTRK are, but they hold their own.  Same with the other Fox stations you mentioned.

And I respectfully disagree on your point that Nexstar doesn't know how to run stations in large markets.  I think Nexstar has learned how to operate its station group robustly and can operate in large markets effectively.

Although I agree they are required to run the station IDs, I think it's also worth mentioning that due to the COVID-19 response there is most likely not as many people in the station building right now.  I suspect stuff like that runs on automation.  So minor issues like station IDs might not get prioritized as much as trying to run much of the station operations remotely (especially much of the newscasts) right now.  But I am glad they managed to restore those station IDs.

38 minutes ago, TheRyan said:

I think we can all agree changes were going to be made once WJZY/WMYT became part of Nexstar.  And honestly, some changes needed to be made.  Fox Television Stations were starting to make far wiser and better decisions compared to the absolute disaster when WJZY launched in-house newscasts, but they still quite a way to go in becoming as competitive as stations that have been around for decades longer in our market.

For example, Nexstar needs to have WJZY make much better use of the Beyond music than using just one bumper cut for almost everything.  Of course music is a minor issue (if an issue at all), but that points out that WJZY has plenty of room for improvement--and hopefully Nexstar is equipped to make improvements happen.

I wouldn't call WOFL and KRIV "throwaway" stations.  They may not be the 800-pound gorilla that WFTV and KTRK are, but they hold their own.  Same with the other Fox stations you mentioned.

And I respectfully disagree on your point that Nexstar doesn't know how to run stations in large markets.  I think Nexstar has learned how to operate its station group robustly and can operate in large markets effectively.

Although I agree they are required to run the station IDs, I think it's also worth mentioning that due to the COVID-19 response there is most likely not as many people in the station building right now.  I suspect stuff like that runs on automation.  So minor issues like station IDs might not get prioritized as much as trying to run much of the station operations remotely (especially much of the newscasts) right now.  But I am glad they managed to restore those station IDs.

When I reference "throwaway" stations that means those stations don't match the strategy that Fox Television Stations, LLC has for their bottom line of owning and operating in major markets with NFC franchise teams.  Yeah, we will disagree about Nexstar and its operations because I just don't see it for them becoming competitive in Charlotte with WJZY/WMYT.  This aforesee this ownership being temporary because FTS wanted to get their hands on KCPQ and WITI.  Throwaways are the non-NFC markets otherwise WFXT/Boston would have remained owned by FTS, which was until 2019 a larger market than Houston.  FTS is just using Nexstar like Nexstar is using FTS for its non-core focus market stations for swaps.

On 4/15/2020 at 10:45 AM, jero23 said:

Just a heads up, there is no legally required station ID at the bottom of the hour. The IDs only need to happen once per hour, as close to the top of the hour as possible. 

4 hours ago, carolinanews4 said:

Just a heads up, there is no legally required station ID at the bottom of the hour. The ID's only need to happen once per hour, as close to the top of the hour as possible. 

Yep. As a matter of fact, as a public service to TVNT readers...

Title 47 Code of Federal Regulations, Section 73.1201 of the FCC Rules say on station identification...

(a) When regularly required. Broadcast station identification announcements shall be made:

(1) At the beginning and ending of each time of operation, and

(2) Hourly, as close to the hour as feasible, at a natural break in program offerings. Television and Class A television broadcast stations may make these announcements visually or aurally.

There's more than this, but that's just the basics of the rule.

I can certainly imagine that the FCC would, had WJZY been temporarily unable, exempt/look the other way for whatever number of days or weeks it would take until all station staff are allowed to work at the studio again.    We do not live in normal times, as governments across the board are allowing exemptions and removing red tape in ways not normally seen.

19 hours ago, jero23 said:

When I reference "throwaway" stations that means those stations don't match the strategy that Fox Television Stations, LLC has for their bottom line of owning and operating in major markets with NFC franchise teams.  Yeah, we will disagree about Nexstar and its operations because I just don't see it for them becoming competitive in Charlotte with WJZY/WMYT.  This aforesee this ownership being temporary because FTS wanted to get their hands on KCPQ and WITI.  Throwaways are the non-NFC markets otherwise WFXT/Boston would have remained owned by FTS, which was until 2019 a larger market than Houston.  FTS is just using Nexstar like Nexstar is using FTS for its non-core focus market stations for swaps.

But I think we can agree that WJZY could've been a very competitive station and yet FTS simply did not operate it on the same level as they have in other markets (especially like Atlanta, Orlando, or Houston).  They should've operated WJZY like a big market station and yet the newscasts were, at best, mid-level market quality.  I think Nexstar is going to do what needs to be done for WJZY to make it more sustainable and competitive.  Time will tell.

On 4/15/2020 at 10:45 AM, jero23 said:

I wouldn't call it a throwaway, okay KRIV has been on their portfolio since the Metro-media days, Orlando pretty strong and growing market without an NFL team at all, after the Chris-Craft Swap. Okay there growing markets and rumor has it Pat Robertson wants an MLB in Orlando. maybe some fan speculation that NFL will expand to Orlando.

On 4/17/2020 at 3:07 AM, Gavin said:

I wouldn't call it a throwaway, okay KRIV has been on their portfolio since the Metro-media days, Orlando pretty strong and growing market without an NFL team at all, after the Chris-Craft Swap. Okay there growing markets and rumor has it Pat Robertson wants an MLB in Orlando. maybe some fan speculation that NFL will expand to Orlando.

Uh, WFXT was a holdover from the Metromedia days and Boston is a growing market yet it was swapped out for KTVU as well.  Fox has a NFC market priority standpoint these days. 

1 hour ago, jero23 said:

Uh, WFXT was a holdover from the Metromedia days and Boston is a growing market yet it was swapped out for KTVU as well.  Fox has a NFC market priority standpoint these days. 

Metromedia never owned WFXT. WCVB was the Metromedia station in the Boston market, at which point 25 was still WXNE under Continental (CBN) ownership.

Fox bought WXNE when they realized that they had no other options in Boston after WSBK and WLVI both said no. They sold it the first time to the Celtics (then publicly owned) was as a result of NBCO restrictions once the bought the Boston Herald; they bought it back after a waiver became a possibility and the Celtics ran the station into the ground.

Also, Boston isn't growing as much as it once was. If any market ends up leaving the Top 10, it probably will be Boston given how much faster Atlanta, Phoenix, and Tampa have been growing.

On 4/19/2020 at 6:59 PM, scrabbleship said:

Metromedia never owned WFXT. WCVB was the Metromedia station in the Boston market, at which point 25 was still WXNE under Continental (CBN) ownership.

Fox bought WXNE when they realized that they had no other options in Boston after WSBK and WLVI both said no. They sold it the first time to the Celtics (then publicly owned) was as a result of NBCO restrictions once the bought the Boston Herald; they bought it back after a waiver became a possibility and the Celtics ran the station into the ground.

Also, Boston isn't growing as much as it once was. If any market ends up leaving the Top 10, it probably will be Boston given how much faster Atlanta, Phoenix, and Tampa have been growing.

Metromedia was the predecessor of FTS, so how WFXT was acquired is a matter of semantics and circumstances.  The point is that FTS owned WFXT twice and was one of the first Fox O&Os when the network started up. 

Furthermore, FTS only sold WFXT again as part of a swap for KTVU, which was the longtime Fox affiliate in the San Francisco-Oakland-San Jose market, a NFC market. Boston's growth rate is irrelevant as it is an AFC market.  At the time of the swap, Boston was still growing at a relatively fast clip.  Houston might slow down in growth if the petrochemical industry hits the skids again, so the belief that an AFC market is safe because of its size and/or growth rate has been disproved by FTS.

On 4/19/2020 at 6:59 PM, scrabbleship said:

Fox bought WXNE when they realized that they had no other options in Boston after WSBK and WLVI both said no.

A historical clarification is necessary.

Fox had four affiliation options in Boston but chose to pursue just one: A purchase of WXNE once CBN put it on the block. They were talking to both WSBK (Storer) and WLVI (Gannett) but cut off negotiations as they came closer to finalizing the channel 25 transfer. So therefore, it was Fox that said "no" to channels 38 and 56 and not the other way around.

In retrospect, Fox was better off on 25. Both 38 and 56 were doing well enough and didn't need a startup network to affect their viewership negatively. And WQTV (ch. 68) probably had no shot at landing the affiliation anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Still waiting for WITI and KCPQ to switch over to the Fox system; I get the feeling even without current events, it won't be until summer until they untangle the old Tribune backend, and WITI still hasn't gotten a stream on FoxNow like the rest of their O&O brethren (they still have the time and temp bug from two graphics generations ago going peek-a-boo at times during breaking news situations).

4 minutes ago, mrschimpf said:

Still waiting for WITI and KCPQ to switch over to the Fox system; I get the feeling even without current events, it won't be until summer until they untangle the old Tribune backend, and WITI still hasn't gotten a stream on FoxNow like the rest of their O&O brethren (they still have the time and temp bug from two graphics generations ago going peek-a-boo at times during breaking news situations).

WITI isn't gonna be FOX-Owned for long. So i see FOX taking it time on WITI, this station is a swap away for possibly for either for WJZY or KDVR/KWGN.

1 minute ago, Gavin said:

WITI isn't gonna be FOX-Owned for long. So i see FOX taking it time on WITI, this station is a swap away for possibly for either for WJZY or KDVR/KWGN.

Why on earth would FOX go through all the trouble getting WITI from Nexstar, and sell WJZY to Nexstar, if they only wanted to... swap them again soon.

Keep dreaming...

10 minutes ago, Weeters said:

Why on earth would FOX go through all the trouble getting WITI from Nexstar, and sell WJZY to Nexstar, if they only wanted to... swap them again soon.

Keep dreaming...

Okay Boi. WiTI is a no-growth market even it's population is even declining. FOX Only brought WITI so they could get KCPQ/KJZO. Yeah maybe keep it for a minute.  But eventually gonna want back want a NFC Station. And that's Denver or something (Though I was always against them having one being a owned after passing over Raleigh). And they're gonna have to trade cause Perry Sook is one hell of negotiator.

2 minutes ago, Gavin said:

Okay Boi. WiTI is a no-growth market even it's population is even declining. FOX Only brought WITI so they could get KCPQ/KJZO. Yeah maybe keep it for a minute.  But eventually gonna want back want a NFC Station. And that's Denver or Charlotte (Though I was always against them having one being a owned after passing over Raleigh). And they're gonna have to trade cause Perry Sook is a hell of negotiator.

Denver is an AFC city. And Milwaukee is more or less an NFC city  (it share primary market status with Green Bay's market).

1 minute ago, Mrtraveler01 said:

Denver is an AFC city. And Milwaukee is more or less an NFC city  (it share primary market status with Green Bay's market).

Well that leaves one market. 

WITI will have the Packers for years, and has outside of a couple of months since 1976. Fox isn't giving up a free ATM of money and a solid news department because of corporate boredom.

• Weeters locked and unpinned this topic

Archived