Jump to content

Welcome, Guest!

Sign In or Create my Account to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.
CircleSeven

Nexstar to acquire Tribune

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, CircleSeven said:

 

 

Y'all won't believe this.....

 

Someone wrote a Change.org petition convincing Tegna not to drop their theme song.

 

I'm not lying. LOOK!!!

 

If WKBW wasn't saved from the corporate master, why WNEP would be any different?

 

WNEP literally owns the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre market and ALL of Northeastern & Central Pennsylvania!

 

WKBW?  It was tanked by Granite years ago and Scripps came to the rescue....

 

But then again, we're talking about Tegna who will go out of their way to trash a perfectly good station.

 

As long as they don't mess with Talkback 16....

 

giphy.gif

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No Nexstar graphic after the 10pm WPVI-produced newscast, but it did appear after the in-house morning news this morning on WPHL.

 

What's Nexstar's feelings on farming out news production? Are they likely to let the WPVI agreement ride?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, PhillyWatch said:

No Nexstar graphic after the 10pm WPVI-produced newscast, but it did appear after the in-house morning news this morning on WPHL.

 

What's Nexstar's feelings on farming out news production? Are they likely to let the WPVI agreement ride?

 

You won't get one at the end of the Action News newscast as they don't produce it. 

 

As far as the future of WPVI producing news for WPHL goes, it depends on whether Nexstar feels the station is worth investing in. Tribune did invest in actually creating a newsroom from scratch to produce the morning news show (which recently expanded to a 4th hour).

 

One would think Nexstar would want to be a player in the 4th largest market in the country given that they also picked up stations in the top 3 (granted they all have established news brands). Producing a 10PM newscast in-house would go a long way along with then possibly expanding into the afternoon in the future.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, WCAUTVNBC10 said:

 

You won't get one at the end of the Action News newscast as they don't produce it. 

 

As far as the future of WPVI producing news for WPHL goes, it depends on whether Nexstar feels the station is worth investing in. Tribune did invest in actually creating a newsroom from scratch to produce the morning news show (which recently expanded to a 4th hour).

 

One would think Nexstar would want to be a player in the 4th largest market in the country given that they also picked up stations in the top 3 (granted they all have established news brands). Producing a 10PM newscast in-house would go a long way along with then possibly expanding into the afternoon in the future.

 

Nexstar spun WPIX off to Scripps. They are now in four of the top five markets, NYC being the exception.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WCAUTVNBC10 said:

As far as the future of WPVI producing news for WPHL goes, it depends on whether Nexstar feels the station is worth investing in. Tribune did invest in actually creating a newsroom from scratch to produce the morning news show (which recently expanded to a 4th hour).

WPVI doesn't produce the morning newscast for WPHL that's done in-house by WPHL itself

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, oknewsguy said:

WPVI doesn't produce the morning newscast for WPHL that's done in-house by WPHL itself

 

You might wanna reread my post cause that's exactly what I said.

Edited by WCAUTVNBC10
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, PhillyWatch said:

What's Nexstar's feelings on farming out news production? Are they likely to let the WPVI agreement ride?

Replacing Action News at 10 is like playing in a minefield. If Nexstar wants to in-house WPHL's 10pm (and thus think they'll still have the #1 newscast in Market 4 long-term), good luck with that.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, WCAUTVNBC10 said:

 

You might wanna reread my post cause that's exactly what I said.

I know but you said WPVI-produced morning newscast on WPHL. WPVI doesn't produce the morning newscast for WPHL (and if they did it would only be 2 hours long at minimum) I could be wrong as I am cross-eyed so sometimes I tend to get things mixed up

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Action Newsroom said:

Replacing Action News at 10 is like playing in a minefield. If Nexstar wants to in-house WPHL's 10pm (and thus think they'll still have the #1 newscast in Market 4 long-term), good luck with that.

 

That's what I'm thinking. It's all about whether the newscast pulls in enough revenue to outweigh the cost of paying WPVI to produce the newscast. You also figure the two stations also split the ad revenue generated by the newscast. Going in-house also means keeping the ad dollars 100% in-house. Good ol' cost-benefit analysis.

 

Just now, oknewsguy said:

I know but you said WPVI-produced morning newscast on WPHL. WPVI doesn't produce the morning newscast for WPHL (and if they did it would only be 2 hours long at minimum) I could be wrong as I am cross-eyed so sometimes I tend to get things mixed up

 

 

Yeah I said Tribune invested in the station to reopen WPHL's newsroom to produce their morning show:

 

Tribune did invest in actually creating a newsroom from scratch to produce the morning news show (which recently expanded to a 4th hour).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

 

 

Y'all won't believe this.....

 

Someone wrote a Change.org petition convincing Tegna not to drop their theme song.

 

I'm not lying. LOOK!!!

 

If WKBW wasn't saved from the corporate master, why WNEP would be any different?

 

 

I'm not surprised, I've seen those Talkback 16 segments.

 

The current controversy seems to be Millionare not airing on WNEP anymore (nevermind the fact the show stopped production).

 

https://wnep.com/2019/09/10/talkback-16-what-happened-to-millionaire/

 

Curious to see what calls they'll get about their new ownership. 

Edited by Mrtraveler01
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Mrtraveler01 said:

 

I'm not surprised, I've seen those Talkback 16 segments.

 

The current controversy seems to be Millionare not airing on WNEP anymore (nevermind the fact the show stopped production).

 

https://wnep.com/2019/09/10/talkback-16-what-happened-to-millionaire/

 

Curious to see what calls they'll get about their new ownership. 

I hope Tegna cans the Talkback 16 segment, I mean you're blaming WNEP for cancelling Millionaire? Seriously? Call the people who canned the show not WNEP.

 

But let's see how upset the viewers in NEPA really get when WNEP has to C Clarity and then dumps the Talkback 16 segment.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The town hall wasn't really a town hall, it was a live statement from the CEO repeating the information in the letter. They did a nice job putting the sizzle reel together for the countdown, though.

 

WGN America will be debuting on AT&T TV Now on October 31 if anyone's interested. They're also looking at new acquisitions for Antenna TV.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

WNEP hasn't used 'Move Closer to your world' since 1994.

They currently use the WPXI news theme according to Southern Media's NMSA.. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DENDude said:

WNEP hasn't used 'Move Closer to your world' since 1994.

They currently use the WPXI news theme according to Southern Media's NMSA.. 

Tell that to the people that live in the Wilkes-Barre DMA, they think uses MCTYW even though they have used the WPXI version of it for 25 years. 

 

Honestly the viewers up there will use the Talkback 16 segment to complain about anything they wish to complain even though in some cases such as Millionaire it was circumstances beyond their control.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is the close on KTVI. I imagine it's the same on KPLR.

 

Interesting to note: Instead of listing various cities in the background of the close, KTVI/KPLR has decided to list the various counties in the viewing area. 

 

 

Edited by Mrtraveler01

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mrtraveler01 said:

 

Did they mention anything about what they would like to do with WGN America?

 

No, but given that they've put someone in charge of WGN-A and Antenna TV, I'm sure they have some ideas for the future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, TheRob said:

 

No, but given that they've put someone in charge of WGN-A and Antenna TV, I'm sure they have some ideas for the future.

Like Nexstar expanding Antenna TV to it's other stations?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DENDude said:

WNEP hasn't used 'Move Closer to your world' since 1994.

They currently use the WPXI news theme according to Southern Media's NMSA.. 

 

For clarification, it's the 1991-98 WPXI news theme with synth riffs of MCTYW,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe take it and This TV and give them to Hearst because This TV was part of Hearst before and replace them with Movies,Heroes and Icons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

According to NMSA, not all Tegna stations prior to the Nexstar/Tribune spinoffs are currently using C Clarity, so there's a possibility of hope for WNEP to keep MCTYW.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, TheRob said:

 

No, but given that they've put someone in charge of WGN-A and Antenna TV, I'm sure they have some ideas for the future.

 

A Chicago Tribune article says that Nexstar intends to "operate the heck out of" WGN America and they plan to use their stations to promote WGN America programming, but if they got an offer they couldn't refuse, they could consider selling it. I haven't seen anything about Antenna TV, but things probably will stay the same there.

Edited by broadcastfan9751
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DesertNewsGeek said:

According to NMSA, not all Tegna stations prior to the Nexstar/Tribune spinoffs are currently using C Clarity, so there's a possibility of hope for WNEP to keep MCTYW.

 

 

Assimilation takes time. It'll probably be by year's end before everyone has been switched over to C Clarity and Troika along with the TEGNA websites.

 

1 hour ago, broadcastfan9751 said:

 

A Chicago Tribune article says that Nexstar intends to "operate the heck out of" WGN America and they plan to use their stations to promote WGN America programming, but if they got an offer they couldn't refuse, they could consider selling it. I haven't seen anything about Antenna TV, but things probably will stay the same there.

 

Did Nexstar receive Tribune's entertainment division in that transaction? If so, they've got some original programming content to push across the board, and especially on their legacy stations. The price would have to be right for them to unload both WGN America and the now-former Tribune Studios.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, oknewsguy said:

I hope Tegna cans the Talkback 16 segment, I mean you're blaming WNEP for cancelling Millionaire? Seriously? Call the people who canned the show not WNEP.

 

But let's see how upset the viewers in NEPA really get when WNEP has to C Clarity and then dumps the Talkback 16 segment.

 

Two things ... 

 

1) I personally love the Talkback 16 segments. NEPA is very stuck in their ways. Need proof? Go check out the front page of Williamsport Sun-Gazette. They haven’t had a redesign in their paper for at least 30 to 40 years! I’m not exaggerating there either!

 

2) I can report that WNEP is doing everything in their power to tell their new owners to keep the news theme. Changing the news theme at WNEP is not going to go well there. If you need proof of that, ask WPVI 6abc how that went when they tried to mess with their theme. Lasted less than 5 days and they reverted back. 

 

— Matt

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, susquvalleywgal said:

 

Two things ... 

 

1) I personally love the Talkback 16 segments. NEPA is very stuck in their ways. Need proof? Go check out the front page of Williamsport Sun-Gazette. They haven’t had a redesign in their paper for at least 30 to 40 years! I’m not exaggerating there either!

 

2) I can report that WNEP is doing everything in their power to tell their new owners to keep the news theme. Changing the news theme at WNEP is not going to go well there. If you need proof of that, ask WPVI 6abc how that went when they tried to mess with their theme. Lasted less than 5 days and they reverted back. 

 

— Matt

Let me guess, most towns in NEPA probably still run Broadband Internet. In any case I hope Tegna listens and doesn't force WNEP to change the news music maybe perhaps do a compromise where WNEP can keep it's current music package and then run that simultaneously with C Clarity.

 

That might be a win-win for WNEP and Tegna but of course.. For the people of NEPA, they'll be complaining about that during the Talkback 16 segment.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using TVNewsTalk you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.