Jump to content

Welcome, Guest!

Sign In or Create my Account to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.
CircleSeven

Nexstar to acquire Tribune

Recommended Posts

28 minutes ago, oknewsguy said:

Yes you can

 

Try using Wikipedia as a source on a school/research paper, and tell us how that goes. Good luck.

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, 24994J said:

 

Try using Wikipedia as a source on a school/research paper, and tell us how that goes. Good luck.

 

I can hear my English 3 (junior year) teacher now talking about that.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So has anyone actually looked at the sources cited, the references, and the external links on the Wiki article in question? Not only that, but you can view the edit history of the page, and by whom.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, H4UL4U said:

So has anyone actually looked at the sources cited, the references, and the external links on the Wiki article in question? Not only that, but you can view the edit history of the page, and by whom.

 

Yeah, someone named "tvtonightokc" added it.

 

🤔

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/23/2019 at 3:58 AM, doublejman69 said:

I don't know how it is for Tribune or Nexstar but for most companies retrans fees are a lot lower for CW affiliates than for a "big 4". Usually its a set price for "Big 4" then a lower set price for CW's, My Net's and independents. One broadcaster that I've seen is getting at least 7 times as much for retrans for its big 4 networks than for its CW affiliates. 

 

Jesus if WPIX can't get more retrans money just imagine how paltry the fees must be for KDAF or KIAH or WSFL...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, H4UL4U said:

So has anyone actually looked at the sources cited, the references, and the external links on the Wiki article in question? Not only that, but you can view the edit history of the page, and by whom.

I checked the cited sources in question to that and there was no mention of anything to do with what Nexstar's intentions are for KXNW (other than to create a de facto triopoly) on any of the cited sources and someone had to have looked at the FCC applications to convert KFTA into a "new" TV station and inserted that on the KFSM page, (it's also the same if you go onto KFTA's and KNWA's pages as well) so either someone may have known what Nexstar's intentions of what they want to do with KXNW that none of us knows or they just put that on there just because they can (which some people do that)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, channel2 said:

 

Jesus if WPIX can't get more retrans money just imagine how paltry the fees must be for KDAF or KIAH or WSFL...

 

This makes me wonder how the hell, spite aside, WLVI sold for nearly double that accounting for inflation in 2006. Was that a case of cashing out with the market high or just the spite talking?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, scrabbleship said:

 

This makes me wonder how the hell, spite aside, WLVI sold for nearly double that accounting for inflation in 2006. Was that a case of cashing out with the market high or just the spite talking?

 

I have the feeling Ansin overpaid for it, so probably the spite. (It was talkative spite.)

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, mre29 said:

 

I have the feeling Ansin overpaid for it, so probably the spite. (It was talkative spite.)

 

 

Overpaid over a gossip column giving easily refutable scuttlebutt. Between that and the fact the sale closed during the holidays, probably one of the most irksome single station deals ever especially with the fact that it's been treated like a dumping ground since.

A good What If would be where WLVI would be if Tribune didn't sell it. Would it have stayed the course? Would it be in the same hell as KDAF/KIAH/KRCW/WDCW/WSFL? If they held it to this day would it have made the transition to Nexstar (and give them statewide coverage between them, WPRI, WWLP, and WTEN)? Or would Tegna have bought them back, nestled between WTIC and WCSH?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My quick thoughts:

 

- I never  expected Nexstar to divest WDVM or WDCW - if anything, you may see some of the existing WDVM newscasts carried on WDCW - since the have 2 newscasts targeted at the main capitol area (I-270 News targeted at Montgomery County and the Frederick area, and the NoVA News, targeted at Northern Virginia), which are only available if you have cable (since WDVM’s signal doesn’t overlap into the DC area...)

- WPTV could move CW programming from 8-10pm to 9-11pm and run news at 8pm, or even a 7:30pm newscast (I see that CBS4 does 7pm news)

- WPIX to Scripps will be good for the station. 

- I wouldn’t be surprised if there were a couple of swaps after the dust settles.

- I’m a little sad to see WPMT going to TEGNA; I don’t see TEGNA as a Fox-only station in a market (it was weird to me when they picked up KIDY/KXVA in the Belo purchase).

 

Let the consolidation of broadcast TV continue...  I’m just waiting for the FCC to eliminate the caps, and then we’ll have a TEGNA, a Scripps, a Sinclair, and Nexstar station in each market (possibly excepting where the O&Os decide they want to keep stations...).  Sound familiar (O Canada!)?

 

J

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, compubit said:

- I’m a little sad to see WPMT going to TEGNA; I don’t see TEGNA as a Fox-only station in a market (it was weird to me when they picked up KIDY/KXVA in the Belo purchase).

 

KIDY/KXVA came from the London purchase. However, Belo did have a Fox station in Tucson (KMSB).

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, compubit said:

My quick thoughts:

- WPTV could move CW programming from 8-10pm to 9-11pm and run news at 8pm, or even a 7:30pm newscast (I see that CBS4 does 7pm news)

 

 

Which market are you talking about? Because from what I know, WPTV operates a FOX affiliate in WFLX, not the CW since that's WTVX and owned by WPEC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, TheRolyPoly said:

 

Which market are you talking about? Because from what I know, WPTV operates a FOX affiliate in WFLX, not the CW since that's WTVX and owned by WPEC.


Miami. Even though WPTV is West Palm Beach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, channel2 said:

Jesus if WPIX can't get more retrans money just imagine how paltry the fees must be for KDAF or KIAH or WSFL...

might happen to WGN after they lose the Cubs

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

 

13 hours ago, channel2 said:

 

Jesus if WPIX can't get more retrans money just imagine how paltry the fees must be for KDAF or KIAH or WSFL...

I don't exactly know what Tribune was getting for retrans fees but as an example of some other companies I've seen they would be getting around 30 cents per subscriber monthly for WPIX, KDAF, WGN while stations like WHO, WITI, WGNO would get about 2 dollars per sub.

 

Tribune was late to the retrans game, getting really into it when they purchased Local TV, Tribune has had some of lowest rates in the industry, that's why Tribune always was facing blackouts on pay tv providers. After the sale is complete the stations that are going to Nexstar will be using Nexstars rate card within 30 days of closing.

 

I'm not sure if Scripps can do any better with retrans fees for WPIX. the few CW affiliates Scripps owns just mostly pass network and syndicated programming. I imagine Scripps is hoping the FCC relaxes ownership rules and sell WPIX back for more than what they paid for.

Edited by doublejman69
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, doublejman69 said:

I'm not sure if Scripps could do any better with retrans fees for WPIX. the few CW affiliates Scripps owns just  mostly pass network and syndicated programming. I imagine Scripps is hoping the FCC relaxes ownership rules and sell WPIX back for more than what they paid for.

Should also be curious if one of their first moves is to either kick out DailyMailTV or take in more of a stake in the series with CBS to keep using the WPIX studio. The show is incredibly down-market for Scripps, but at the same time it's successful in the ways that all of Scripps's in-house syndication has not been.

 

8 hours ago, scrabbleship said:

 

Overpaid over a gossip column giving easily refutable scuttlebutt. Between that and the fact the sale closed during the holidays, probably one of the most irksome single station deals ever especially with the fact that it's been treated like a dumping ground since.

A good What If would be where WLVI would be if Tribune didn't sell it. Would it have stayed the course? Would it be in the same hell as KDAF/KIAH/KRCW/WDCW/WSFL? If they held it to this day would it have made the transition to Nexstar (and give them statewide coverage between them, WPRI, WWLP, and WTEN)? Or would Tegna have bought them back, nestled between WTIC and WCSH?

It's free ad money to run a bunch of syndicated product that easily captures both the in-home and public area crowd that can't stand news or soaps in the daytime. The station probably is profitable in ways that WSBK cannot be and still has a CW affiliation that brings a good viewership. Either way, it probably would have eventually been sold or in a limbo where Tribune wasn't doing much more with it than Sunbeam does now.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mrschimpf said:

Should also be curious if one of their first moves is to either kick out DailyMailTV or take in more of a stake in the series with CBS to keep using the WPIX studio. The show is incredibly down-market for Scripps, but at the same time it's successful in the ways that all of Scripps's in-house syndication has not been.

 

It's free ad money to run a bunch of syndicated product that easily captures both the in-home and public area crowd that can't stand news or soaps in the daytime. The station probably is profitable in ways that WSBK cannot be and still has a CW affiliation that brings a good viewership. Either way, it probably would have eventually been sold or in a limbo where Tribune wasn't doing much more with it than Sunbeam does now.

 

Do we know the fate of Right This Minute, especially with Disney/ABC bowing out and the two non-Scripps groups involved being, well, dead or about to die? I know, it's cheap, but at which point do you put it out of its misery to boost something else?

WLVI just seems to be very oddly run as if as little effort as possible has been put into it. Their signing daytime off to the Trash Talk Trio and their propensity to have shows in plum slots long after other markets (Mom is in this slot now, American Dad! was before it detoured to WBIN) is proof to this. I think the economics of a corporation worth billions with major market buying power versus one man can be seen if you look at their schedule versus their former sisters. WLVI's current weekday inventory looks as follows, arranged by air time (first show listed airs at 9:00 AM, last listed ends at 4:30 AM).

 

Quote

Steve Wilkos x2
Springer x2 (plus the CW run)
Maury x3
Last Man Standing x2
Mom x2
Goldbergs x2

[CW Primetime and the 7 News at 10 simulcast]
Modern Family x2
Family Guy
American Dad!
Cleveland Show
Forensic Files
Dish Nation
Caught in Providence
America's Court with Judge Ross
Judge Faith
The Verdict with Judge Hatchett

 

In contrast, WDCW, who's only period of infomericals is 6:00-7:00 AM:

Quote

True Crime Files
People's Court x2
Judge Mathis
Judge Mablean x2 (1 overnight)
Paternity Court x2 (1 overnight
Couples Court x2 (1 overnight)
Judge Hatchett x2 (1 overnight)
Steve
Maury x2

[Maury broken up by Daytime CW Springer]
Right This Minute x2
Mom
Goldbergs x2 (1 late night)
black-ish x2

[CW Primetime]
DailyMailTV x1 (1 5:30 AM)
Seinfeld x2 (1 overnight)
Two and a Half Men x2
2 Broke Girls
The Game
Last Man Standing
Funny You Should Ask (then the judge and DailyMailTV double runs)


And for contrast, WPIX, starting at 9:00 AM after their morning news:

Quote

Maury x2
Springer
Couples Court x2
True Crime Files
DailyMailTV x2
[Daytime CW Springer]
Steve Wilkos
[5:00-6:30 news block]
Goldbergs x2 (second overnights)

blackish x2

[CW Primetime and 10:00 News]

Seinfeld x2
Friends
Two and a Half Men x2

Mom

Rules of Engagement x2


I know there are other factors in play, largely tied to Fox having abandoned Boston as Tribune had, but I don't see WLVI having been as bad had Tribune held onto it. While a cursory look of WKCF and KCWE shows more of the same, I don't think that Hearst would've neglected it if they were able to do a JSA/SSA run-around or have argued that WCVB/WMUR + WLVI would be a valid combination.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, scrabbleship said:

 

Do we know the fate of Right This Minute, especially with Disney/ABC bowing out and the two non-Scripps groups involved being, well, dead or about to die? I know, it's cheap, but at which point do you put it out of its misery to boost something else?

WLVI just seems to be very oddly run as if as little effort as possible has been put into it. Their signing daytime off to the Trash Talk Trio and their propensity to have shows in plum slots long after other markets (Mom is in this slot now, American Dad! was before it detoured to WBIN) is proof to this. I think the economics of a corporation worth billions with major market buying power versus one man can be seen if you look at their schedule versus their former sisters. WLVI's current weekday inventory looks as follows, arranged by air time (first show listed airs at 9:00 AM, last listed ends at 4:30 AM).

 

 

In contrast, WDCW, who's only period of infomericals is 6:00-7:00 AM:


And for contrast, WPIX, starting at 9:00 AM after their morning news:


I know there are other factors in play, largely tied to Fox having abandoned Boston as Tribune had, but I don't see WLVI having been as bad had Tribune held onto it. While a cursory look of WKCF and KCWE shows more of the same, I don't think that Hearst would've neglected it if they were able to do a JSA/SSA run-around or have argued that WCVB/WMUR + WLVI would be a valid combination.

 

In NY, we already have WWOR Channel 9, which has been marginalized by Fox Televison.  All court shows, MyNetwork off network reruns found elsewhere, no actual news product, etc.  Basically it has become useless.  Hopefully Scripps will operate WPIX to not become another My9 (or if a miracle happens and the FCC & Congress change ownership caps Nexstar repurchases the station in the time window). In the case of WLVI, remember that Ansin rushed to buy it when there were rumors of NBC Universal buying it.  In the end, Ansin still lost the affiliation and now has to figure out how to run two independents, albeit one being news/Family Feud centric.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Harry Jessell proclaims that the updated reach of Nexstar post-Tribune with the current divestitures at 62.9% (or 38.6% with the UHF discount)

https://tvnewscheck.com/article/top-news/232649/nexstar-tribune-ripe-for-quick-dc-approval/

 

The last hurdle seems to be Indianapolis, and whether or not WTTV/WXIN can remain as is, and whoever gets WISH/WNDY....

 

There's probably no legal remedy to this (aside from antitrust regulations), but a solution could be Nexstar sending either CBS or FOX back to WISH, and The CW going back to Nexstar...almost forcing a 5th place on whoever loses their affiliation.

 

And there's always dumping either WTTV or WXIN's channel and merging both on to one channel.....

Edited by tyrannical bastard
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Harry Jessell proclaims that the updated reach of Nexstar post-Tribune with the current divestitures at 62.9% (or 38.6% with the UHF discount)

https://tvnewscheck.com/article/top-news/232649/nexstar-tribune-ripe-for-quick-dc-approval/

 

The last hurdle seems to be Indianapolis, and whether or not WTTV/WXIN can remain as is, and whoever gets WISH/WNDY....

 

There's probably no legal remedy to this (aside from antitrust regulations), but a solution could be Nexstar sending either CBS or FOX back to WISH, and The CW going back to Nexstar...almost forcing a 5th place on whoever loses their affiliation.

 

And there's always dumping either WTTV or WXIN's channel and merging both on to one channel.....

 

What would be stopping Nexstar from pulling the same shenanigans they pulled in Little Rock, owning [Top 4 station] and holding onto WNDY while [other Top 4 station] and WISH are sent to Mission? I know, it was 2012 and the JSA/SSA regulations were tightened after they (and Sinclair in Mobile) got away with that. but there are always loopholes to exploit.

WISH would probably stand well on its own. WTTV sure would not given their being a solid 5th place and their news only making waves under the awkwardness of Nicole Pence and her assorted...family issues until she left.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, scrabbleship said:

 

What would be stopping Nexstar from pulling the same shenanigans they pulled in Little Rock, owning [Top 4 station] and holding onto WNDY while [other Top 4 station] and WISH are sent to Mission? I know, it was 2012 and the JSA/SSA regulations were tightened after they (and Sinclair in Mobile) got away with that. but there are always loopholes to exploit.

WISH would probably stand well on its own. WTTV sure would not given their being a solid 5th place and their news only making waves under the awkwardness of Nicole Pence and her assorted...family issues until she left.

 

There is no way a market like Indianapolis would even allow for Nexstar holding 4 stations, even in 2012.

 

Big market, lots of competition, lots of households; no signs that it'll ever be allowed or happen.

 

It's still a mystery but I assume WTTV and WNDY are the two to get sold. WTTV may be Top 4 but I don't see it having a particularly good news operation and WNDY is just... It's not bad but what value does a MNTV station have?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, TVLurker said:

 

There is no way a market like Indianapolis would even allow for Nexstar holding 4 stations, even in 2012.

 

Big market, lots of competition, lots of households; no signs that it'll ever be allowed or happen.

 

It's still a mystery but I assume WTTV and WNDY are the two to get sold. WTTV may be Top 4 but I don't see it having a particularly good news operation and WNDY is just... It's not bad but what value does a MNTV station have?

 

Its only value is duopoly bait really. I think Scripps (and Dispatch?) will pick up the other two if Nexstar gets the waiver.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What are the current rankings in Indianapolis?

 

As long as WTTV is in 5th place, the combo can remain and WISH/WNDY can be sold together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

What are the current rankings in Indianapolis?

 

As long as WTTV is in 5th place, the combo can remain and WISH/WNDY can be sold together.

TTV is in 5th place. 

4 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

What are the current rankings in Indianapolis?

 

As long as WTTV is in 5th place, the combo can remain and WISH/WNDY can be sold together.

TTV is in 5th place. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The FCC made a new rule just over a year ago, to allow certain top-4 combinations through a case-by-case basis.

 

The FCC allowed an already top-4 combo to go through in Hawaii (KHNL/KGMB) when they greenlighted the Gray-Raycom deal back in December. So I wouldn't be all that surprised if Nexstar try to keep WXIN/WTTV together, and spin-off WISH/WNDY.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using TVNewsTalk you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.