Jump to content

Welcome, Guest!

Sign In or Create my Account to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.
CircleSeven

Nexstar to acquire Tribune

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, QuartermaineTriadCLT said:

 

UGH, why in the world did they have to approve this deregulatory bullhagony?!?!? Welcome to the consolidated Nex-Sin duo controlled markets! Nex is going to have WGHP, and Sin already has WXLV/MYV, right here in the Triad! (sarcasm)

 

It's not Nexstar's fault that Tribune went into bankruptcy, Tribune did that all to themselves.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, TVLurker said:

 

It's not Nexstar's fault that Tribune went into bankruptcy, Tribune did that all to themselves.

 

Thanks to Sam Zell, or someone else who wanted to destroy Tribune, but I digress. Now, WGHP is off my channel list for good. I will stick to WXII. Back on subject.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, QuartermaineTriadCLT said:

 

Thanks to Sam Zell, or someone else who wanted to destroy Tribune, but I digress. Now, WGHP is off my channel list for good. I will stick to WXII. Back on subject.

 

What's with these people who think that just because a certain company is going to take over, they're going to destroy it. If anything, I think WGHP along with KTLA will remain the same though I can't be sure what'll happen in the future.

 

At least Nexstar won't be able to acquire any more stations because they'll be near that FCC mandated limit and the unintentional benefit is that there'll be opportunities for station groups to at least get something out of this.

 

But be forewarned, the station groups of today are not like the station groups of yesteryear.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, QuartermaineTriadCLT said:

Now, WGHP is off my channel list for good. I will stick to WXII. Back on subject.

 

"I love your anchors and reporters and watch your newscasts every night, but I hate your new owner and will never watch you again."

 

How about at least waiting till actual changes start happening?

 

1 hour ago, TVLurker said:

At least Nexstar won't be able to acquire any more stations because they'll be near that FCC mandated limit and the unintentional benefit is that there'll be opportunities for station groups to at least get something out of this.

 

Speaking of which, I wonder when buyers will be announced for the stations being divested.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Breaking News said:

According to FTVLIVE.com FOX no longer interested in some of those Nexstar Stations... Thought the good folks at WJW were going to go back in FOX hands, and Q13FOX Seattle not going to be in 21st Century hands? Hmm

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2019/3/18/fox-no-longer-interested-in-nexstar-stations

 

Would New Fox really want a station in Des Moines? It makes sense not to bid in that case.

 

Side note: that FTVLive article basically plagiarized that Bloomberg piece.

Edited by Georgie56
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Georgie56 said:

Would New Fox really want a station in Des Moines? It makes sense not to bid in that case.

 

Nexstar wants to sell the stations as a set, doesn't it? :classic_rolleyes:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Georgie56 said:

 

Side note: that FTVLive article basically plagiarized that Bloomberg piece.

 

He (FTVlive)  gave credit to Bloomberg at the beginning of the second paragraph.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I gotta say, I'm surprised that Fox is taking a pass. Feels like yesterday when they announced the spin-offs they were buying from Sinclair. More stations was the New Fox game plan.  And now they're like... no thanks, more retrans please. Hello Amazon?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

They probably think the Nexstar spin-offs are "overpriced." This is what they get for sitting the Local TV sweepstakes out in 2013 - or not bothering to bid for Tribune either time it's been for sale since. In Murdoch's words, they're not gonna get any cheaper.

Edited by channel2
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, CRThell said:

I gotta say, I'm surprised that Fox is taking a pass. Feels like yesterday when they announced the spin-offs they were buying from Sinclair. More stations was the New Fox game plan.  And now they're like... no thanks, more retrans please. Hello Amazon?

I think, perhaps, Fox doesn’t want to lose WSVN as one of their affiliates, as that station, based on what I’ve read in the past, has been one of Fox’s Strongest and most successful stations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, nbc4ne said:

I think, perhaps, Fox doesn’t want to lose WSVN as one of their affiliates, as that station, based on what I’ve read in the past, has been one of Fox’s Strongest and most successful stations.

 

That explains why Fox is passing on WSFL, but it doesn't explain why they're passing on KCPQ, KDVR/KWGN, WJW, WPHL, and KSTU.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, mre29 said:

 

Nexstar wants to sell the stations as a set, doesn't it? :classic_rolleyes:

 

Apollo is really the only buyer who could take them all as one group....except for Memphis?

 

Then again, WATN/WLMT are so poorly off they could waiver their way out of it. 

Could they split the duopoly...sending WATN to WHBQ (under Apollo) and WLMT being paired with WREG (under Nexstar?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Apollo is really the only buyer who could take them all as one group....except for Memphis?

 

Then again, WATN/WLMT are so poorly off they could waiver their way out of it. 

Could they split the duopoly...sending WATN to WHBQ (under Apollo) and WLMT being paired with WREG (under Nexstar?)

 

I don't think they could get that creative in such a major deal. Someone else is going to have to come into Memphis.

44 minutes ago, mre29 said:

 

That explains why Fox is passing on WSFL, but it doesn't explain why they're passing on KCPQ, KDVR/KWGN, WJW, WPHL, and KSTU.

 

 

In those cases, only KSTU is part of a conflict anyway (and it wouldn't conflict for any other group with Sinclair grounded as a local owner owns KSL). Plus I think they were scared of Sinclair in the last deal.

Edited by GoldenShine9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Eat News said:

 

He (FTVlive)  gave credit to Bloomberg at the beginning of the second paragraph.

That's not how it works. You can't just regurgitate almost their entire article word-for-word, just because you happened to credit them.

You can quote specific portions of the original article... you can cite the article then paraphrase their basic idea... but you can't just copy and paste their article into yours, regardless of whether you give them credit for it.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LoadStar said:

That's not how it works. You can't just regurgitate almost their entire article word-for-word, just because you happened to credit them.

You can quote specific portions of the original article... you can cite the article then paraphrase their basic idea... but you can't just copy and paste their article into yours, regardless of whether you give them credit for it.

There is a hyperlink to the Bloomberg article in the second paragraph of Scott's article.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, H4UL4U said:

There is a hyperlink to the Bloomberg article in the second paragraph of Scott's article.

It doesn't matter what kind of citation it is; whether "Scott" linked to the original or not.

 

Citing your source does not give you permission to copy and paste almost the entire source article into yours verbatim. That's called plagiarism.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, LoadStar said:

It doesn't matter what kind of citation it is; whether "Scott" linked to the original or not.

 

Citing your source does not give you permission to copy and paste almost the entire source article into yours verbatim. That's called plagiarism.

 

Oh...

He did a copy and paste?

Show me me where he plagiarized anything.

All he did was rewrite the story....AND he posted a link.

 

You can't be more transparent than that.

 

Your local TV station does it every day of the week when they lift or re-aggregate stories from the net.

 

If you need to know the rules, I suggest you consult your AP Style Guide.

 

 

 

Edited by Eat News
AOA Black - Get Out... https://youtu.be/g31DWKhSXgs
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, CRThell said:

I gotta say, I'm surprised that Fox is taking a pass. Feels like yesterday when they announced the spin-offs they were buying from Sinclair. More stations was the New Fox game plan.  And now they're like... no thanks, more retrans please. Hello Amazon?

Giving up on KCPQ is very telling. They went so far as to enter negotiations with a border station no one knew about back several years ago just to put pressure on Tribune.

 

Thing is, with this “new” Fox, they have no in-house production/distribution pipeline for conventional programming and will be reliant on sports play-by-play. That’s fine, but it is going to cost a lot, especially with sports. And you either have to recoup the cost by forcing the cable companies to pay through the nose, or forcing the affiliates to pay through the nose, leading the affiliates to force the cable companies to pay through the nose.

 

Because of Nexstar’s past tiffs with Fox - where multiple disaffiliations took place in 2011 because of affiliation fees - that is the most shocking part of this. Fox apparently learned nothing from that experience.

Edited by Myron Falwell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Myron Falwell said:

Because of Nexstar’s past tiffs with Fox - where multiple disaffiliations took place in 2011 because of affiliation fees - that is the most shocking part of this. Fox apparently learned nothing from that experience.

 

And because of this I’d anticipate more disaffiliations down the road. Depending on what rights FOX can acquire with its Disney money, that can either really hurt Nexstar or REALLY hurt FOX.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

fox is looking at the future... the same reason abc isn't buying stations... because local ota tv is going the way of the dodo...

 

those new affiliation agreements will probably include stipulations for streaming... as in fox controls where they stream and not the affiliate... a step towards streaming-only...

 

that bloomberg article says nothing about retrans agreements... just affiliation agreements...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I find it funny Dish is filing an objection seeing as how they're the worst TV satellite company in existence. HBO is understandable but Univision? You must of lost your marbles hombre.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using TVNewsTalk you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.