Nexstar to acquire Tribune

CircleSeven

On 5/8/2020 at 10:56 PM, tyrannical bastard said:

Both Charlotte and the Triangle have been markets that have grown exponentially over the last two decades. 

The cities themselves have exploded in population and their suburbs (especially Cary) have been hotbeds of suburban sprawl.

Both of these markets and most of the suburbs surrounding them are still growing.  Because of this explosion since the dawn of TV, they've only had 2 commercial VHF licenses each (UNC got one in Raleigh-Durham for their statewide network of PBS)

The Cleveland-Akron-Canton area has shrunk, almost to the point where it's almost on par with Charlotte (while dropping from 12-13 to 18-19) in market size.

Columbus has been growing as a city, but it's been the city itself, and it's very few suburbs.

Sportswise, Charlotte has the NFL and NBA. 

Raleigh-Durham just has the NHL and some very dominant College Basketball programs (Duke & UNC-Chapel Hill)

Cleveland has NFL, MLB and NBA, while Columbus has the NHL, MLS and Ohio State.

WJZY is more suited for a company like Nexstar since FOX didn't properly launch it. 

In the other markets, Nexstar is a good thing since the other stations are either improving (WNCN, WCMH) or maintaining their dominance (WJW).

Here's hoping more of the "better" things about Tribune start rubbing off with Nexstar instead of the "our way or the high way" Sinclair has done to many of their purchases.

Too much regionalism between both markets. Yeah I highly doubt Raleigh would ever get an NFL Team but the Panthers i guess were targeted for both states. The Carolina Hurricanes (Raleigh) were met specifically for Raleigh yet some people think its part of Charlotte and it based there and like I feel there no split between both markets like Dallas or Houston. Its Also why Raleigh can't get a lot of pro-teams. MLS is near two markets Columbus, Cincinnati and Sacramento, and San Jose entirely different markets but for some reason if it were Raleigh and Charlotte to both have teams it only makes sense to have one. Maybe Raleigh will get MLB.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, Gavin said:

Too much regionalism between both markets. Yeah I highly doubt Raleigh would ever get an NFL Team but the Panthers i guess were targeted for both states. The Carolina Hurricanes (Raleigh) were met specifically for Raleigh yet some people think its part of Charlotte and it based there and like I feel there no split between both markets like Dallas or Houston. Its Also why Raleigh can't get a lot of pro-teams. MLS is near two markets Columbus, Cincinnati and Sacramento, and San Jose entirely different markets but for some reason if it were Raleigh and Charlotte to both have teams it only makes sense to have one. Maybe Raleigh will get MLB.

Dominant college programs and demographics (strong fan bases for other teams in other places) keep places like Raleigh from getting NFL and MLB teams.  In fact, a well-known backronym for the city of Cary (which is over 100,000 residents, mostly transients) is Containment Area for Relocated Yankees)

Going back to the 90s when Tennessee landed an NFL team (the Houston Oilers), it was initally in Memphis because they had a larger stadium to hold it in.  But Nashville prevailed in securing them permanently as the Tennessee Titans.  Memphis later prevailed in getting the Grizzlies from Vancouver.

TV-wise, I don't think Sinclair will ever let go of WZTV, despite it being in the bottom ranks of Nashville television.  They also pretty much own the chances of either WSMV or WKRN ever getting a second station (never going to happen since they have the trifecta of FOX, CW and MyNetwoek)

We all know the WHBQ stint with FOX, and how much better off they are with Cox, despite what's happened since in Boston and San Francisco.

Nexstar finally got a spot in Nashville with WKRN, and Memphis benefited from Nexstar improving WPTY into WATN, and later trading up to WREG.

37 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Going back to the 90s when Tennessee landed an NFL team (the Houston Oilers), it was initally in Memphis because they had a larger stadium to hold it in.  But Nashville prevailed in securing them permanently as the Tennessee Titans.  Memphis later prevailed in getting the Grizzlies from Vancouver.

That is incorrect. The Titans (then Oilers) were always bound for Nashville. Memphis only served as a temporary home for the team until their new stadium was finished in two years.

Their one-year stay did not turn out well for a multitude of reasons: 1) The team was based in Nashville, but played games in Memphis, which meant a 6-hour-plus drive between both cities for gameday; 2) As much as the Oilers/Titans wanted to build a statewide fan base, most Memphians refused to attend their home games; 3) Those two factors resulted in the Oilers/Titans having to move to Nashville a year earlier than planned, using Vanderbilt's stadium for games the following year.

Raleigh-Durham's situation sounds similar to Memphis, as the metro sits right in the middle of SEC country. Apart from the Memphis Tigers, the stations here also tend to give focus to at least three SEC schools in their sports coverage (i.e., Ole Miss, Mississippi State, and Arkansas). The basketball culture along with some politicking is what ultimately lured the Grizzlies here.

I could go on, but that's something that should really be discussed in the Breakroom without taking this thread further off topic.

On 5/1/2020 at 6:48 AM, channel2 said:

People talk a lot about the NFL, but Fox also wanted WITI so as to lock down Brewers and Badgers revenue as well!

Yup, people forget about the Badgers. Big Ten football also makes the cash register ring for Fox.

23 hours ago, TennTV1983 said:

That is incorrect. The Titans (then Oilers) were always bound for Nashville. Memphis only served as a temporary home for the team until their new stadium was finished in two years.

Their one-year stay did not turn out well for a multitude of reasons: 1) The team was based in Nashville, but played games in Memphis, which meant a 6-hour-plus drive between both cities for gameday; 2) As much as the Oilers/Titans wanted to build a statewide fan base, most Memphians refused to attend their home games; 3) Those two factors resulted in the Oilers/Titans having to move to Nashville a year earlier than planned, using Vanderbilt's stadium for games the following year.

Raleigh-Durham's situation sounds similar to Memphis, as the metro sits right in the middle of SEC country. Apart from the Memphis Tigers, the stations here also tend to give focus to at least three SEC schools in their sports coverage (i.e., Ole Miss, Mississippi State, and Arkansas). The basketball culture along with some politicking is what ultimately lured the Grizzlies here.

I could go on, but that's something that should really be discussed in the Breakroom without taking this thread further off topic.

I'd Love to talk about it there, I make a topic there.

On 5/11/2020 at 7:08 PM, Nelson R. said:

At least now they are acknowledging that they have technical difficulties. Still, the link should be at the very top of the home page, Nexstar doesn’t believe in that. In the meantime, if you’re in the viewing area and have DirecTV you can watch through their app (along with most if not all other programming).

FFD57865-3FF0-4B9F-84E4-F98145831A19.jpeg

Now we’re talking. They fixed it the other day and you can even click a link at the top of the page to stream. You couldn’t even do that on other stations’ website so apparently was a Nexstar problem, not a WJZY problem. 

E39C12BA-0164-4854-8394-E0E5DD67B6A3.jpeg

52E0EDFD-E935-436C-8EE3-44870E50E059.jpeg

6980F41F-3067-438F-819A-F548FF7BFC7E.jpeg

I don't know whether this has already been mentioned but WJZY has shortened their URL from fox46charlotte.com to just fox46.com.  I think this is much better to have it just as Fox46 because having to type out Charlotte after that just never made a whole lot of sense in that case.

1 minute ago, TheRyan said:

I don't know whether this has already been mentioned but WJZY has shortened their URL from fox46charlotte.com to just fox46.com.  I think this is much better to have it just as Fox46 because having to type out Charlotte after that just never made a whole lot of sense in that case.

Yeah I mentioned that earlier, it does make more sense.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/13/2020 at 12:50 AM, Gavin said:

Uh, the major philanthropic and business leadership (Tepper, current BoA CEO,  former BoA CEO Hugh McColl, etc.) and the Charlotte Regional Business Alliance have been working on this behind the scenes to get the MLB franchise in Charlotte.  This has been mentioned as a fact several times in the past 18 months in the Charlotte Business Journal.  Raleigh will likely only have NHL's Carolina Hurricanes as its sole major sports franchise unless there is another MLS expansion franchise in the Triangle.  Charlotte looks like it will be home to NFL, NBA, MLS, and the MLB franchises.  Making Charlotte one of the few DMAs outside of the top 15 with 4 major league franchises and equal professional sports competitive footing as Atlanta.

So KDVR has extended it's 11 AM newscast sometime recently, they now air FOX 31 NEWS @ 11:30AM and it runs from 11:30 to 11:36AM, seems like a waste of time to me.    The Guide says it runs from 11:30AM-11:39AM.  

3 hours ago, jero23 said:

Uh, the major philanthropic and business leadership (Tepper, current BoA CEO,  former BoA CEO Hugh McColl, etc.) and the Charlotte Regional Business Alliance have been working on this behind the scenes to get the MLB franchise in Charlotte.  This has been mentioned as a fact several times in the past 18 months in the Charlotte Business Journal.  Raleigh will likely only have NHL's Carolina Hurricanes as its sole major sports franchise unless there is another MLS expansion franchise in the Triangle.  Charlotte looks like it will be home to NFL, NBA, MLS, and the MLB franchises.  Making Charlotte one of the few DMAs outside of the top 15 with 4 major league franchises and equal professional sports competitive footing as Atlanta.

There's investors in Raleigh too. Don't think Tepper would allow it, because of the MLS franchise would be direct competition. And the AAA team is there which makes it harder and no stadium space. Yes I do see MLS coming to Raleigh and being in the Eastern Conference when the next expansion is 32 team and broken up the Eastern conference will be uneven I see Raleigh filling that spot. Anyways will have to see 

38 minutes ago, Gavin said:

There's investors in Raleigh too. Don't think Tepper would allow it, because of the MLS franchise would be direct competition. And the AAA team is there which makes it harder and no stadium space. Yes I do see MLS coming to Raleigh and being in the Eastern Conference when the next expansion is 32 team and broken up the Eastern conference will be uneven I see Raleigh filling that spot. Anyways will have to see 

No way Raleigh will fill spot 31 or 32. Same reason Tampa Bay won’t get a team because of Orlando and San Antonio won’t get a team because of Austin. Detroit, Phoenix, San Diego, Las Vegas, and Indianapolis seem best positioned for the last two spots.

1 hour ago, TVNewsLover said:

No way Raleigh will fill spot 31 or 32. Same reason Tampa Bay won’t get a team because of Orlando and San Antonio won’t get a team because of Austin. Detroit, Phoenix, San Diego, Las Vegas, and Indianapolis seem best positioned for the last two spots.

Nah its about money for MLS. Sacramento and San Jose are an hour away and have team same thing for Columbus and Cincy just a little over two hours. It the same thing in Raleigh. It's about money.

3 hours ago, Gavin said:

Nah its about money for MLS. Sacramento and San Jose are an hour away and have team same thing for Columbus and Cincy just a little over two hours. It the same thing in Raleigh. It's about money.

Sure it is about money, why else are they in business?!. While you make a good point about San Jose and Sacramento, San Jose (6) and Sacramento (20) are both higher ranked DMAs than both Charlotte (21) and Raleigh (27) and therefore have a much bigger fan base to draw from. As to Columbus and Cincinnati, two points: (1) Columbus almost lost their team but were it not for the city threatening to sue, and (2) you must keep in mind that you can include in their fan base Cleveland (and to lesser extent Louisville, Pittsburgh, Detroit, and Indy). It is proven that Northern California and Ohio can support two teams in other sports, while North Carolina only has one team for all sports but baseball. It’d be $illy to $plit the SoVA-NC-SC fan base in two.

12 minutes ago, TVNewsLover said:

Sure it is about money, why else are they in business?!. While you make a good point about San Jose and Sacramento, San Jose (6) and Sacramento (20) are both higher ranked DMAs than both Charlotte (21) and Raleigh (27) and therefore have a much bigger fan base to draw from. As to Columbus and Cincinnati, two points: (1) Columbus almost lost their team but were it not for the city threatening to sue, and (2) you must keep in mind that you can include in their fan base Cleveland (and to lesser extent Louisville, Pittsburgh, Detroit, and Indy). It is proven that Northern California and Ohio can support two teams in other sports, while North Carolina only has one team for all sports but baseball. It’d be $illy to $plit the SoVA-NC-SC fan base in two.

Not really most Panthers are from SC instead of the city of base so fact to the base Tepper moved the training HQ to South Carolina. It would be silly SC is Panthers while Hornets suck so we don't even care. Canes is statewide fan base. I don't think MLS will be that way justifying my point about Raleigh. And NWSL team in Raleigh (best team in the world btw according the owner Malik) with most MLS teams and Raleigh does have stadium plan in place will see where it goes hence Coronavirus. Now it wasn't just the City of Columbus who was threatening Precourt not to leave, but also the fans can started called save the crew movement which provoked MLS to find new owners for the team while a whole new expansion franchise was for Austin can't say fan support is different. All I'm is North Carolina largest it's getting to point Raleigh gonna get another expansion Gran hide note weather it MLB, or MLS.

On 5/26/2020 at 5:01 PM, Gavin said:

Uh, Tepper is in full support of MLB franchise in Charlotte. There is no competition between the MLB and MLS, and the notion of such is absurd.  As a matter of fact, Tepper is of the business of making Charlotte the professional sports hub of the Carolinas. That's why MLS and NHL would be of better fit for Raleigh/Durham/Fayetteville as it's positioned as a secondary market in professional sports, but a dominant DMA in collegiate sports. 

It is great to be a homer for Raleigh, but Charlotte has the corporate backing, private money, household incomes, major media influence, and location to support the MLB. Otherwise, Raleigh would have gotten the MLS franchise prior to Charlotte.

The AAA franchise would just move and become an affiliate of the MLB franchise, so don't underestimate the powerful players who are working in Charlotte.  The presence of an AAA franchise wouldn't preclude the expansion of the MLB. Durham is attached to Raleigh so technically that same argument could be made about the DMA.

On 5/26/2020 at 10:40 PM, Gavin said:

Not really most Panthers are from SC instead of the city of base so fact to the base Tepper moved the training HQ to South Carolina. It would be silly SC is Panthers while Hornets suck so we don't even care. Canes is statewide fan base. I don't think MLS will be that way justifying my point about Raleigh. And NWSL team in Raleigh (best team in the world btw according the owner Malik) with most MLS teams and Raleigh does have stadium plan in place will see where it goes hence Coronavirus. Now it wasn't just the City of Columbus who was threatening Precourt not to leave, but also the fans can started called save the crew movement which provoked MLS to find new owners for the team while a whole new expansion franchise was for Austin can't say fan support is different. All I'm is North Carolina largest it's getting to point Raleigh gonna get another expansion Gran hide note weather it MLB, or MLS.

Tepper moved the Panthers HQ to York County, SC for economic development reasons to allow rail transit to eventually expand south to Rock Hill. Charlotte chose to allow this move for the benefit of the metropolitan area (which includes 3 SC counties), and not to engage in a pissing contest that's a zero sum.  As the current Panthers training facility site in Uptown is one of the parcels that would be in the assemblage developed for the new Panthers/MLS stadium.  That part of the Uptown area is to become the Gateway Village. It was a strategic move on Tepper's part for Metro Charlotte.

2 hours ago, jero23 said:

Uh, Tepper is in full support of MLB franchise in Charlotte. There is no competition between the MLB and MLS, and the notion of such is absurd.  As a matter of fact, Tepper is of the business of making Charlotte the professional sports hub of the Carolinas. That's why MLS and NHL would be of better fit for Raleigh/Durham/Fayetteville as it's positioned as a secondary market in professional sports, but dominant DMA in collegiate sports. 

It is great to be a homer for Raleigh, but Charlotte has the corporate backing, private money, household incomes, major media influence, and location to support the MLB. Otherwise, Raleigh would have gotten the MLS franchise prior to Charlotte.

The AAA franchise would just move and become an affiliate of the MLB franchise, so don't underestimate the powerful players who are working in Charlotte.  The presence of an AAA franchise wouldn't preclude the expansion of the MLB. Durham is attached to Raleigh so technically that same argument could be made about the DMA.

Well do still see Raleigh getting a franchise MLS just the DMA Ranking still lags, just a little bit more growth, and corporate then it can happen. But Raleigh will try for MLB. Durham not really connected to Raleigh they don't really wanna be their split metros were trying to get it back connected to be a stronger market but will see. if Malik had not stop talking to Tom Dundon, when Tepper announced his interest in MLS maybe we would have a team, cause we were still until Malik let Tepper slide for a whole year to get a franchise. Raleigh will get MLS simply becasue of the NWSL but the state is growing to the point Raleigh can be a separate sports market with two teams. But Tepper did doubt it when the asked city for $1100 Million in stadium upgrades. Tepper tried to seduce Malik for the NWSL team but think its has failed fizzled out.

2 hours ago, jero23 said:

Uh, Tepper is in full support of MLB franchise in Charlotte. There is no competition between the MLB and MLS, and the notion of such is absurd.  As a matter of fact, Tepper is of the business of making Charlotte the professional sports hub of the Carolinas. That's why MLS and NHL would be of better fit for Raleigh/Durham/Fayetteville as it's positioned as a secondary market in professional sports, but dominant DMA in collegiate sports. 

So does Raleigh just with very little corporate backing. We're on par with markets such as Kansas City, Milwuakee, Cinncinati, and Pittsburgh.

19 hours ago, Gavin said:

Well do still see Raleigh getting a franchise MLS just the DMA Ranking still lags, just a little bit more growth, and corporate then it can happen. But Raleigh will try for MLB. Durham not really connected to Raleigh they don't really wanna be their split metros were trying to get it back connected to be a stronger market but will see. if Malik had not stop talking to Tom Dundon, when Tepper announced his interest in MLS maybe we would have a team, cause we were still until Malik let Tepper slide for a whole year to get a franchise. Raleigh will get MLS simply becasue of the NWSL but the state is growing to the point Raleigh can be a separate sports market with two teams. But Tepper did doubt it when the asked city for $1100 Million in stadium upgrades. Tepper tried to seduce Malik for the NWSL team but think its has failed fizzled out.

So does Raleigh just with very little corporate backing. We're on par with markets such as Kansas City, Milwuakee, Cinncinati, and Pittsburgh.

Some of your arguments make no sense. Just because the NWSL is there, it doesn’t mean anything. Also, please proofread your posts as they are usually one long run on sentence that often has parts that are unreadable. You’re obviously convinced that Raleigh is going to get MLS and MLB refuse to listen to any sort of sound logic. 

3 hours ago, TVNewsLover said:

Some of your arguments make no sense. Just because the NWSL is there, it doesn’t mean anything. Also, please proofread your posts as they are usually one long run on sentence that often has parts that are unreadable. You’re obviously convinced that Raleigh is going to get MLS and MLB refuse to listen to any sort of sound logic. 

I have dyslexia, and writing problems but I'll try next time. Yes I'm convinced Raleigh MLB and MLS. I understand the logic but Raleigh is growing real fast exponentially. If MLB doesn't work ot fine hut MLS is still a possibility. This all speculation anyways.

7 hours ago, TexasTVNews said:

What about the chance for an NBA team or an NFL team in Raleigh (In which I know it's a way off).

The chances of Raleigh/Durham getting an NFL team: ZERO (Especially considering the Panthers, while technically a Charlotte-based franchise, are marketed as a statewide team).

The chances of Raleigh/Durham getting an NBA team: Never say never, but the only way I would see them getting a franchise is through expansion, which is something that won't happen unless the sports market is favorable enough to do so.

NOTE: I really think these sports discussions should be separated into its own thread.

8 hours ago, TennTV1983 said:

The chances of Raleigh/Durham getting an NFL team: ZERO (Especially considering the Panthers, while technically a Charlotte-based franchise, are marketed as a statewide team).

The chances of Raleigh/Durham getting an NBA team: Never say never, but the only way I would see them getting a franchise is through expansion, which is something that won't happen unless the sports market is favorable enough to do so.

NOTE: I really think these sports discussions should be separated into its own thread.

I think Raleigh might, might have a chance if for some reason the Hornets were to leave Charlotte. Given the incompetence of that franchise, I think the ground is salted there.

11 minutes ago, scrabbleship said:

I think Raleigh might, might have a chance if for some reason the Hornets were to leave Charlotte. Given the incompetence of that franchise, I think the ground is salted there.

No way. The Triangle is ACC country.

8 hours ago, TennTV1983 said:

If we’re being honest this whole thread really should be put out to pasture...the FTS/Nexstar station swap was never given its own thread and has gone WAY off topic.

• Weeters locked and unpinned this topic

Archived