Nexstar to acquire Tribune

CircleSeven

17 minutes ago, jero23 said:

Dude, Raleigh-Durham-Fayetteville is not larger market than Charlotte. 

I understand your passion for Raleigh-Durham but it is a multi-nodal urbanized area over 3 counties; whereas Charlotte is a centralized area with one very large consolidated urbanized area surrounding the large singular core.  The size/spread of Wake County or it being the largest in NC is irrelevant.  The Charlotte metro is two states (NC & SC) with a population of 3 million people and its DMA is about 3.5+ million individuals over the 22 counties (18 in NC and 4 in SC) in both states.  Raleigh-Durham is not in the same boat as Charlotte as it in one single state (NC).  Charlotte is more populated metro and DMA in a smaller geographic region.

Wake County metro is not 3 counties. Buddy. I'm sure census is gonna merge Durham-Chapel Hill MSA. When Census comes with the numbers. Btw we stretch Mecklenburg Virgina.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/5/2020 at 1:24 PM, Gavin said:

Wake County metro is not 3 counties. Buddy. I'm sure census is gonna merge Durham-Chapel Hill MSA. When Census comes with the numbers. Btw we stretch Mecklenburg Virgina.

The Triangle core area is 3 urbanized nodes in 3 counties not Wake County alone. It's still relevant because that doesn't account for anything DMA wise. I am aware of the 1 Virginia county in the DMA.

I see where everyone is coming from. Hell, Columbus is the largest city in Ohio and Franklin County is the the largest or close. The reason why the Columbus DMA is 32nd and the Cleveland DMA is 19th is because you also have the Akron/Canton region and also suburban sprawl out in Lorain and Lake counties. Outside of Columbus, it’s pretty much rural counties.

The Nexstar based app for WJZY is crap.  No live streaming capabilities through the app that refers to the website.  It is so basic that it is borderline laughable compared to the old Fox-backed platform for a station in a major market. I deleted the app from my mobile device because you are better off looking at their page through a mobile browser. 

Yep, further affirmation that FTS and Nexstar need to get trading as notion because this was a bad and illogical move for both.

Both Charlotte and the Triangle have been markets that have grown exponentially over the last two decades. 

The cities themselves have exploded in population and their suburbs (especially Cary) have been hotbeds of suburban sprawl.

Both of these markets and most of the suburbs surrounding them are still growing.  Because of this explosion since the dawn of TV, they've only had 2 commercial VHF licenses each (UNC got one in Raleigh-Durham for their statewide network of PBS)

The Cleveland-Akron-Canton area has shrunk, almost to the point where it's almost on par with Charlotte (while dropping from 12-13 to 18-19) in market size.

Columbus has been growing as a city, but it's been the city itself, and it's very few suburbs.

Sportswise, Charlotte has the NFL and NBA. 

Raleigh-Durham just has the NHL and some very dominant College Basketball programs (Duke & UNC-Chapel Hill)

Cleveland has NFL, MLB and NBA, while Columbus has the NHL, MLS and Ohio State.

WJZY is more suited for a company like Nexstar since FOX didn't properly launch it. 

In the other markets, Nexstar is a good thing since the other stations are either improving (WNCN, WCMH) or maintaining their dominance (WJW).

Here's hoping more of the "better" things about Tribune start rubbing off with Nexstar instead of the "our way or the high way" Sinclair has done to many of their purchases.

51 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Both Charlotte and the Triangle have been markets that have grown exponentially over the last two decades. 

The cities themselves have exploded in population and their suburbs (especially Cary) have been hotbeds of suburban sprawl.

Both of these markets and most of the suburbs surrounding them are still growing.  Because of this explosion since the dawn of TV, they've only had 2 commercial VHF licenses each (UNC got one in Raleigh-Durham for their statewide network of PBS)

The Cleveland-Akron-Canton area has shrunk, almost to the point where it's almost on par with Charlotte (while dropping from 12-13 to 18-19) in market size.

Columbus has been growing as a city, but it's been the city itself, and it's very few suburbs.

Sportswise, Charlotte has the NFL and NBA. 

Raleigh-Durham just has the NHL and some very dominant College Basketball programs (Duke & UNC-Chapel Hill)

Cleveland has NFL, MLB and NBA, while Columbus has the NHL, MLS and Ohio State.

WJZY is more suited for a company like Nexstar since FOX didn't properly launch it. 

In the other markets, Nexstar is a good thing since the other stations are either improving (WNCN, WCMH) or maintaining their dominance (WJW).

Here's hoping more of the "better" things about Tribune start rubbing off with Nexstar instead of the "our way or the high way" Sinclair has done to many of their purchases.

MLS is also coming to Charlotte next year.

A shame that FTS used WJZY as a guinea pig for their soft news sofa and coffee table experiment. It might have worked as a separate program. Maybe at 9am after Good Day Charlotte. Not as a 10:00 newscast. Oh well. That horse has left the barn,

And I think the WRAL/WNCN affiliation swap worked out well for both stations.

12 hours ago, Nelson R. said:

MLS is also coming to Charlotte next year.

A shame that FTS used WJZY as a guinea pig for their soft news sofa and coffee table experiment. It might have worked as a separate program. Maybe at 9am after Good Day Charlotte. Not as a 10:00 newscast. Oh well. That horse has left the barn,

And I think the WRAL/WNCN affiliation swap worked out well for both stations.

It was certainly the best thing that ever happened to NBC in the Triangle since WRAL's first stint with them.  CBS was on the decline after a good run, and just wanted to "scale up" with a major broadcaster...in that case Media General (now Nexstar).

And NBC finally had a decent station after years of failure and weakened performance (despite Outlet/NBC taking it upon themselves to wrestle away the network from WRDU/WPTF/WRDC, only to sell out a decade later to Media General)

At some point, when the time is right, WCCB is going to be taken over, and Fox will be right on it with a Brinks truck full of $$$$$ to make them an offer even they couldn't refuse.

26 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

At some point, when the time is right, WCCB is going to be taken over, and Fox will be right on it with a Brinks truck full of $$$$$ to make them an offer even they couldn't refuse.

Fox could've bought WCCB from Bahakel in the past if the company was willing to sell any of its assets, but Fox chose to settle with WJZY & WMYT in the end while also yanking WCCB's affiliation. 

I won't speculate on how that could've gone, as that's for a separate thread.

On 5/9/2020 at 12:27 PM, tyrannical bastard said:

It was certainly the best thing that ever happened to NBC in the Triangle since WRAL's first stint with them.  CBS was on the decline after a good run, and just wanted to "scale up" with a major broadcaster...in that case Media General (now Nexstar).

And NBC finally had a decent station after years of failure and weakened performance (despite Outlet/NBC taking it upon themselves to wrestle away the network from WRDU/WPTF/WRDC, only to sell out a decade later to Media General)

I understand those sentiments about the current setup for Fox affiliation in Charlotte.  However, I doubt that though. Bahakel Broadcasting is a local company. It's doubtful they'll ever cash out since Charlotte is basically a major TV/DMA nowadays anymore than Capitol would with Raleigh/Durham/Fayetteville.  WJZY/WMYT would be FTS only way to return.  It would make sense as FTS prefers duopolies when they get stations, so they can have an excess signal for syndication and possible news coverage overflow. 

On 5/9/2020 at 1:08 PM, TennTV1983 said:

Fox could've bought WCCB from Bahakel in the past if the company was willing to sell any of its assets, but Fox chose to settle with WJZY & WMYT in the end while also yanking WCCB's affiliation. 

I won't speculate on how that could've gone, as that's for a separate thread.

I agree on not speculating on the what ifs.  WCCB went the route it went to stay local here in Charlotte and I respect that with their CW affiliations.  Fox is just basically letting a company willing to put some more money into WJZY/WMYT in this case it is Nexstar, while FTS deliberate on when they want to buy back its Charlotte affiliate.  There is too much money on the table to be made in Charlotte with all of these sports franchises and NASCAR here then it's a rapidly growing market to boot.

On 5/8/2020 at 10:44 AM, jero23 said:

The Nexstar based app for WJZY is crap.  No live streaming capabilities through the app that refers to the website.  It is so basic that it is borderline laughable compared to the old Fox-backed platform for a station in a major market. I deleted the app from my mobile device because you are better off looking at their page through a mobile browser. 

Yep, further affirmation that FTS and Nexstar need to get trading as notion because this was a bad and illogical move for both.

At least now they are acknowledging that they have technical difficulties. Still, the link should be at the very top of the home page, Nexstar doesn’t believe in that. In the meantime, if you’re in the viewing area and have DirecTV you can watch through their app (along with most if not all other programming).

FFD57865-3FF0-4B9F-84E4-F98145831A19.jpeg

3 hours ago, Nelson R. said:

At least now they are acknowledging that they have technical difficulties. Still, the link should be at the very top of the home page, Nexstar doesn’t believe in that. In the meantime, if you’re in the viewing area and have DirecTV you can watch through their app (along with most if not all other programming).

FFD57865-3FF0-4B9F-84E4-F98145831A19.jpeg

That's just ghetto and bootleg. They should've left enough alone and kept the station on the FTS-based app. This isn't 2003 anymore, if you're going unnecessary relaunch an app then be ready to relaunch with everything on the previous platform.  Most people aren't watching through cable, so mobile app interface matters as much if not more than the broadcast TV side. 

36 minutes ago, jero23 said:

That's just ghetto and bootleg. They should've left enough alone and kept the station on the FTS-based app. This isn't 2003 anymore, if you're going unnecessary relaunch an app then be ready to relaunch with everything on the previous platform.  Most people aren't watching through cable, so mobile app interface matters as much if not more than the broadcast TV side. 

The Nexstar app and website have always left something to be desired. Hopefully they're working on a replacement that's more intuitive for all in the future, and they get off their thumbs and finally support streaming for all of their newscasts.

However, you missed the part where there was a 0% chance that FOX or Nexstar would have wanted them to keep using the FTS-based app when it was fundamentally different from the Nexstar app, and puts both parties at a disadvantage. Nexstar wants all of their stations on the same platform for QA and $$$ purposes, and FTS surely didn't want to continue supporting it, so the app had to go. Saying it was unnecessary is simply wrong. 

Stations changing hands are complex. There's a good likelihood the day the swap was official, FOX stopped supporting the station entirely and Nexstar was left to pick up the pieces and start to conform it to the mold that Nexstar has. FTS' infrastructure may have been vastly different from what Nexstar was used to, and changing huge services (like those that support live streaming, site videos, etc) take time to migrate and get right. 

TL;DR - Blaming Nexstar for procedural issues seems flawed. If the issues are still there in a year or two, then you can call it a busted swap for WJZY. But after two months? Seems a little quick to jump to conclusions. 

21 minutes ago, TheGuru said:

The Nexstar app and website have always left something to be desired. Hopefully they're working on a replacement that's more intuitive for all in the future, and they get off their thumbs and finally support streaming for all of their newscasts.

However, you missed the part where there was a 0% chance that FOX or Nexstar would have wanted them to keep using the FTS-based app when it was fundamentally different from the Nexstar app, and puts both parties at a disadvantage. Nexstar wants all of their stations on the same platform for QA and $$$ purposes, and FTS surely didn't want to continue supporting it, so the app had to go. Saying it was unnecessary is simply wrong. 

Stations changing hands are complex. There's a good likelihood the day the swap was official, FOX stopped supporting the station entirely and Nexstar was left to pick up the pieces and start to conform it to the mold that Nexstar has. FTS' infrastructure may have been vastly different from what Nexstar was used to, and changing huge services (like those that support live streaming, site videos, etc) take time to migrate and get right. 

TL;DR - Blaming Nexstar for procedural issues seems flawed. If the issues are still there in a year or two, then you can call it a busted swap for WJZY. But after two months? Seems a little quick to jump to conclusions. 

I know this is not related to WJZY, but I really wonder why Nexstar still has not made KNWA stream their regular newscasts on the website.  Not sure if that's the only Nexstar station to withhold regular newscast streaming, but that one immediately came to mind.     I watch 40/29 online, but I would also watch KNWA if they made it available.

Regarding WJZY:  I would personally give Nexstar more time than usual to switch everything over because they may not have everybody working on this type of stuff at the moment due to the COVID-19 response.  I'm almost surprised they already got the website itself switched over.

22 hours ago, TheRyan said:

I know this is not related to WJZY, but I really wonder why Nexstar still has not made KNWA stream their regular newscasts on the website.  Not sure if that's the only Nexstar station to withhold regular newscast streaming, but that one immediately came to mind.     I watch 40/29 online, but I would also watch KNWA if they made it available.

Regarding WJZY:  I would personally give Nexstar more time than usual to switch everything over because they may not have everybody working on this type of stuff at the moment due to the COVID-19 response.  I'm almost surprised they already got the website itself switched over.

They haven’t even hired a GM yet.  Also this guy has been against the sale to Nexstar from Day 1. I admit I could see where he was coming from and thought it might fall through but it didn’t. They aren’t going back to FTS anytime soon. Corporations don’t just buy back their old stations after just a few months. If they do it will be years from now. 

7 hours ago, Nelson R. said:

They haven’t even hired a GM yet.  Also this guy has been against the sale to Nexstar from Day 1. I admit I Kasahara where he was coming from and thought it might fall through but it didn’t. They aren’t going back to FTS anytime soon. Corporations don’t just buy back their old stations after just a few months. If they do it will be years from now. 

Personally I think WJZY will stay with Nexstar for years to come.  I don't think FTS will be in a hurry to get back into Charlotte--if they ever do.

4 minutes ago, TheRyan said:

Personally I think WJZY will stay with Nexstar for years to come.  I don't think FTS will be in a hurry to get back into Charlotte--if they ever do.

Nexstar is trying to take over, you obviously see there trying to launch national newscast. By converting there cable channel into news channel, there trying to become there own network. with 100% no bias. Anyways they want as many  stations as possible and Nexstar CEO Perry Sook is one hell of a negotiator. He's tough. So get trying every single station in every major market through swaps and broadcast company acquisitions through swaps like FOX and WJZY.

2 hours ago, Gavin said:

Nexstar is trying to take over, you obviously see there trying to launch national newscast. By converting there cable channel into news channel, there trying to become there own network. with 100% no bias. Anyways they want as many  stations as possible and Nexstar CEO Perry Sook is one hell of a negotiator. He's tough. So get trying every single station in every major market through swaps and broadcast company acquisitions through swaps like FOX and WJZY.

Um.. sort of?

I don't think Nexstar had a vested interest in trying to break into the top markets, but the opportunity fell into their lap when the Sinclair - Tribune deal went up in smoke. That's why they left WPIX as an option. 

This is strictly speculation, but I genuinely see a 5 to 10 year plan where WGN becomes THE affiliate of WPIX, KTLA, WGN, etc if News Nation on WGN America is a success. Nexstar is going through puberty, for lack of a better phrase, and I'll think they'll come out of the other side as a better company that's focused less on rapid growth and more on the making sure the consumer gets the "real" news, as is evident by their game plan for News Nation. 

We'll have CNN on the left, FOX News on the Right, and WGN/Nexstar somewhere in the middle with MSNBC. I could be wrong, but I'm personally craving something different, and I think Nexstar is capable of doing it, especially in the country's current state. 

The Big Media monoliths of the last 25-30 years are all either dead (Time Warner), dying (ViacomCBS seemingly) or in periods of transition, so Nexstar's window to become a consequential player is wide open.

They kinda can't buy more stations right now anyway, given the cap. So they need to put their shrewdness and savvy to the test, as with News Nation.

12 minutes ago, channel2 said:

The Big Media monoliths of the last 25-30 years are all either dead (Time Warner), dying (ViacomCBS seemingly) or in periods of transition, so Nexstar's window to become a consequential player is wide open.

They kinda can't buy more stations right now anyway, given the cap. So they need to put their shrewdness and savvy to the test, as with News Nation.

Plus, speaking locally, they have the former KMGH GM as the new GM of KDVR|KWGN. He made KMGH as solid third. So I think he'll be good to have back here.

35 minutes ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

Plus, speaking locally, they have the former KMGH GM as the new GM of KDVR|KWGN. He made KMGH as solid third. So I think he'll be good to have back here.

Well, that's interesting. I have a feeling Denver TV is about to get a lot more competitive!

2 hours ago, TheGuru said:

We'll have CNN on the left, FOX News on the Right, and WGN/Nexstar somewhere in the middle with MSNBC. I could be wrong, but I'm personally craving something different, and I think Nexstar is capable of doing it, especially in the country's current state. 

Wait, you think MSNBC is in the middle? From my sampling they’re further left than CNN!

9 minutes ago, TVNewsLover said:

Wait, you think MSNBC is in the middle? From my sampling they’re further left than CNN!

It depends on the type of metrics you use to judge. I didn't always think this way, but in recent months, CNN has been about as far left as you can get in broadcast television. 

I don't think they're truly centered, but they're close. CBS and ABC lean pretty far left imo, FOX is obviously far right, and NBC as a whole /seems/ pretty centered, while still leaning a touch left. 

1 hour ago, TheGuru said:

It depends on the type of metrics you use to judge. I didn't always think this way, but in recent months, CNN has been about as far left as you can get in broadcast television.

If they were far left, why did they join in on the Bernie bashing started by fellow lefie MSNBC?

1 hour ago, TVLurker said:

If they were far left, why did they join in on the Bernie bashing started by fellow lefie MSNBC?

Bernie has been almost universally bashed by the left (and right). It's frustrating in politics and in television, but that's a discussion for different thread.

7 hours ago, TheGuru said:

This is strictly speculation, but I genuinely see a 5 to 10 year plan where WGN becomes THE affiliate of WPIX, KTLA, WGN, etc if News Nation on WGN America is a success. Nexstar is going through puberty, for lack of a better phrase, and I'll think they'll come out of the other side as a better company that's focused less on rapid growth and more on the making sure the consumer gets the "real" news, as is evident by their game plan for News Nation.

This seems unlikely without a strong schedule of entertainment programming. A fourth network newscast is possible, but an all-news primetime is generally the domain of cable.

• Weeters locked and unpinned this topic

Archived